Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who are our top 3 receivers right now?

Imgrandojji

Ignoring TE and RB, which is the real answer, which of our WR specifically are our top 3 right now?

We have TY, but one receiver on his own is vulnerable to being neutralized by a good secondary like the one we faced last night.  We need that quality WR2 and WR3 if we want to compete at the highest level.

So where are they?

And please don't say Funchess.  We have no idea what Funchess is.  We signed him based on a career year 2 years ago and he has barely played for us.  you're not a reliable WR option if you can't stay on the field. To me looking at the stats Funchess looks like an overpromoted depth wideout, should be WR3-4.  Until Funchess gets on the field and shows us what he can actually do he doesn't count.

The fact of the matter is that our WR depth is just scraping along on one side or the other, depending on the given week, of Just Barely Adequate. 

We are asking Brissett to be decisive and make tight throws to guys with career catch rates just barely better than a coin flip who are not getting separation from the secondary.  Dunno about you guys but from my perspective... that's a lot to ask.

If the best we can do for a WR2 right now is the undrafted Zach Pascal, what business do we have demanding that our QB throw up a prayer to this WR unit?   This team isn't capable of the long strikes we all yearn to see out of Brissett.  It's simply not how our roster is built right now.

If we want to compete for a Superbowl this year, if that's really on the table in Ballard's mind, then we need not one but 2 new quality veteran receivers.  Not projects, not prospects, RECEIVERS.  As in people who can get open and catch at least 2/3 of their targets, not freaking half like Pascal, Ebron and Funchess. Andd those are our 3 BETTER options right now

If we can't get better prospective targets four our starting QB I'm not gonna blame that QB for having the occasional bad day at the office.   Our WR corps isn't even good, much less good enough to allow the QB to carry the team.  If you ask me Brissett has done an amazing job of getting anything out of this (outside of TY) hilariously bad attempt at impersonating a WR unit.

I don't like to badmouth Ballard, but if he really rolls into the playoffs with nothing better than this at WR, and we don't make noise in the playoffs -- it's on the GM.  Not the team, not the players, not the coaches, not the situation. 

It's Ballard's job to get us the weapons we need to compete.  We don't have them right now in the WR unit.  And it's up to Ballard to correct that.  Now.  Not next year, not this offseason. Now.  We are competitive NOW and it's time for the GM to step up and compete.  We have the assets to complete this team.  All we need is to use them.

If he'd rather hoard picks to try to win the 2024 Superbowl instead of the one right in front of him, that's a mark against him as a complete GM.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Ignoring TE and RB, which is the real answer, which of our WR specifically are our top 3 right now?

We have TY, but one receiver on his own is vulnerable to being neutralized by a good secondary like the one we faced last night.  We need that quality WR2 and WR3 if we want to compete at the highest level.

So where are they?

And please don't say Funchess.  We have no idea what Funchess is.  We signed him based on a career year 2 years ago and he has barely played for us.  you're not a reliable WR option if you can't stay on the field. To me looking at the stats Funchess looks like an overpromoted depth wideout, should be WR3-4.  Until Funchess gets on the field and shows us what he can actually do he doesn't count.

The fact of the matter is that our WR depth is just scraping along on one side or the other, depending on the given week, of Just Barely Adequate. 

We are asking Brissett to be decisive and make tight throws to guys with career catch rates just barely better than a coin flip who are not getting separation from the secondary.  Dunno about you guys but from my perspective... that's a lot to ask.

If the best we can do for a WR2 right now is the undrafted Zach Pascal, what business do we have demanding that our QB throw up a prayer to this WR unit?   This team isn't capable of the long strikes we all yearn to see out of Brissett.  It's simply not how our roster is built right now.

If we want to compete for a Superbowl this year, if that's really on the table in Ballard's mind, then we need not one but 2 new quality veteran receivers.  Not projects, not prospects, RECEIVERS.  As in people who can get open and catch at least 2/3 of their targets, not freaking half like Pascal, Ebron and Funchess. Andd those are our 3 BETTER options right now

If we can't get better prospective targets four our starting QB I'm not gonna blame that QB for having the occasional bad day at the office.   Our WR corps isn't even good, much less good enough to allow the QB to carry the team.  If you ask me Brissett has done an amazing job of getting anything out of this (outside of TY) hilariously bad attempt at impersonating a WR unit.

I don't like to badmouth Ballard, but if he really rolls into the playoffs with nothing better than this at WR, and we don't make noise in the playoffs -- it's on the GM.  Not the team, not the players, not the coaches, not the situation. 

It's Ballard's job to get us the weapons we need to compete.  We don't have them right now in the WR unit.  And it's up to Ballard to correct that.  Now.  Not next year, not this offseason. Now.  We are competitive NOW and it's time for the GM to step up and compete.  We have the assets to complete this team.  All we need is to use them.

If he'd rather hoard picks to try to win the 2024 Superbowl instead of the one right in front of him, that's a mark against him as a complete GM.

The Colts aren't winning the superbowl this year.   Im not suggesting he shouldn't try to make any moves,   but he isn't going to trade 1st or 2nd round picks to land a guy half way through the season

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The Colts aren't winning the superbowl this year.   Im not suggesting he shouldn't try to make any moves,   but he isn't going to trade 1st or 2nd round picks to land a guy half way through the season

We have every chance of fighting for a Superbowl.  If the season ended right now we'd get a bye.  We have every chance to actually end the season with that bye.  We may never get a better chance with Mahomes hurt and Brady finally starting to show his age

As far as I'm concerned, it's go time.  We have to play like contenders, and we have to GM like contenders, and if that means paying good draft assets bringing in guys for this year's playoff run, then that's what we should be doing. 

We're never going to be Superbowl favorites while New England exists, if we hold onto our assets trying to wait for the perfect time it may not ever come.  This is as good a time as any to start spending to maximize our chances. 

Hopefully Ballard sees that but I'm honestly afraid that he's growing complacent and is still locked into pick-hoarding mode.  Fine when you're building but not when you're competing.  Right now, we're competing.  Fortunately though I think Irsay may wind up pushing the issue and insisting on a couple moves.  Which in this case would be a good thing.

I’m good rolling with Campbell who is just getting healthy and Funchess when he returns. I like the emergence of Pascal. Rogers is fairly solid. Cain is a nothing burger as it turns out. They should park him on the PS and let him learn his route running. Let’s keep those high draft picks and, if it makes sense, grab a FA WR next year (unless a good WR can be stolen by tomorrow for a 5th or 6th rounder.....don’t hold your breath).  This is not a Championship team yet but they are getting there. A new WR this year won’t change that. Stay the course. 

• Like 1

As for exactly who I'd target:

1: Taylor Gabriel from the bears.  A journeyman WR who isn't being used much in the Bears' offense but has been fairly productive in the past with the Falcons.

2: Danny Amendola from the Lions.  The Lions may or may not be sellers since they still have a fighting chance as a .500 team but they're behind the Packers and Vikings so it's possible.  If they are, then this little veteran slot receiver would be a great add, especially because Brissett threw to him in 2016 with the Patriots.

1 minute ago, Imgrandojji said:

clearly didn't read the OP lol

sure i did, people argue over who is the #1 and 2 WR when its right there in the stats, its that simple imo

so ignore the TEs and rbs if you want and look up the WRs.  if you see that pascal is the #2 then it is what it is

7 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I’m good rolling with Campbell who is just getting healthy and Funchess when he returns. I like the emergence of Pascal. Rogers is fairly solid. Cain is a nothing burger as it turns out. They should park him on the PS and let him learn his route running. Let’s keep those high draft picks and, if it makes sense, grab a FA WR next year (unless a good WR can be stolen by tomorrow for a 5th or 6th rounder.....don’t hold your breath).  This is not a Championship team yet but they are getting there. A new WR this year won’t change that. Stay the course. 

Why concede this year when you don't have to?

We have just as good a chance this year to win the Superbowl as we're ever likely to have.  The window was thrown wide open when Patrick Mahomes, Nick Foles and Ben Roethllisberger got hurt.  Now JJ Watt is out for the year down in Houston too.  Our competition may never again be this badly diminished, even with the Patriots factored in.

The path has been cleared for us by some pretty serious injuries to key competing teams.  That opportunity might not be there next year

if we don't take advantage of this chance it might not come again in a decade.  by the time we've drafted people and they've grown into their roles other teams will have their premium assets back in line an we'll start over with maybe a slightly better chance than we had in week 1.  Our chances now are WAY better than they were in week 1.  Carpe diem!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Campbell hasn't done squat.

• Like 1

Campbell has been kinda a disappointment thus far. Which is a real shame because there were some really good WR's in this past draft. But nonetheless in ballard we trust. Its looking like a deep WR class this coming year and ill be excited to see if Fountain returns next year to how well he was doing in TC

9 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

We have every chance of fighting for a Superbowl.  If the season ended right now we'd get a bye.  We have every chance to actually end the season with that bye.  We may never get a better chance with Mahomes hurt and Brady on the way out. 

As far as I'm concerned, it's go time.  We have to play like contenders, and we have to GM like contenders, and if that means paying good draft assets bringing in guys for this year's playoff run, then that's what we should be doing. 

We're never going to be Superbowl favorites while New England exists, if we hold onto our assets trying to wait for the perfect time it may not ever come.  This is as good a time as any to start spending to maximize our chances. 

Hopefully Ballard sees that but I'm honestly afraid that he's growing complacent and is still locked into pick-hoarding mode.  Fine when you're building but not when you're competing.  Right now, we're competing.  Fortunately though I think Irsay may wind up pushing the issue and insisting on a couple moves.  Which in this case would be a good thing.

It is go time.  If not now then when?  People want to wait another year?  Seriously.   Ballard has built a contender.   A good GM should see this opportunity and make a move to see if he can help his team get the SB.  Polian did it with Booger.  Bellicheck is doing it now with Sanu.  There is know doubt we can compete for a SB.   There are WR's available now that won't cost a 1st or 2nd rd pick that are all better than any WR we have on our roster with the exception of TY.  I'm talking Agholor, Parker, Anderson to name a few. Any one of them would be our true No.2.  I do think you are right about Irsay too.  He's not getting any younger.  And he knows this team can compete for a SB.  This is a far different position we are in compared to last year at this time.   He is going to want to try and win it now.  I would imagine he is taking part in the discussions that are currently going on.  Here is hoping he helps Ballard see the opportunity.

• Thanks 1

Exactly.  We are contenders now.  Time to start being contenders.  And that means, contend.  Shore up your weaknesses, spend assets to maximize your chances and GO. FOR. THE.  GOLD.  

If we fail we fail, but it's still better to go for it than to sit back.  Our players will learn more in an abortive playoff run than they will by coasting on draft talent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Exactly.  We are contenders now.  Time to start being contenders.  And that means, contend.  Shore up your weaknesses, spend assets to maximize your chances and GO. FOR. THE.  GOLD.  

If we fail we fail, but it's still better to go for it than to sit back.  Our players will learn more in an abortive playoff run than they will by coasting on draft talent.

I think you're underrating Funchess a lot. He was Carolina's WR1 when they traded Kelvin Benjamin, and he was great in the first game. He could be what we need to help the WR corp.

He is definitely not a depth WR

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

I think you're underrating Funchess a lot. He was Carolina's WR1 when they traded Kelvin Benjamin, and he was great in the first game. He could be what we need to help the WR corp.

He is definitely not a depth WR

When a WR1 gets  800 yards, he's probably overpromoted.  Even though Carolina does live on the run game, the fact that that's the best Funchess could manage while given literally every chance speaks against him, IMHO, not for him.

1 minute ago, Imgrandojji said:

When a WR1 gets less than 800 yards, he's probably overpromoted.  Even though Carolina does live on the run game, the fact that that's the best Funchess could while given literally every chance speaks against him, IMHO, not for him.

He really isn’t a WR1. But he is perfect for that 2 spot.  

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

I am not good rolling with Campbell  and funchess. We need someone else. We don't  know if Funchess will be good coming back from injury.  Pascal was invisible  yesterday,  along with Roger's and Campbell.  Infact I'm not understanding  y Campbell  is being under used. It was beyond  disappointing  to see how easily  our wrs were taken away yesterday. We need another impact player there.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

When a WR1 gets  800 yards, he's probably overpromoted.  Even though Carolina does live on the run game, the fact that that's the best Funchess could manage while given literally every chance speaks against him, IMHO, not for him.

Well he was more WR1 by default. I'm definitely not trying to insinuate he should be a WR1 on a good team, but I think he's a suitable WR2 or WR3, which is what we need him to be with the emergence of Pascal.

Also, being a WR1 also means that you get the top corner from the other team. And he was only a WR1 after the trade deadline since that was when Benjamin was traded, so don't try to use his stats from the season as a whole.

Benjamin was traded on October 31st. In the 8 games that followed, Funchess put up 483 yards. That's 966 yards for a full season. For comparison, that's coincidentally exactly how many yards T.Y. Hilton put up in 2017, Brissett's first year at QB with us. That's also 60 yards per game, which is also the exact number of yards per game that Hilton has put up for us so far this season.

And let's not forget that Funchess has the most success on the routes that we run the most on offense.

To say that the guy that did that can't possibly be our WR3 is absurd

2 hours ago, twfish said:

Campbell has been kinda a disappointment thus far. Which is a real shame because there were some really good WR's in this past draft. But nonetheless in ballard we trust. Its looking like a deep WR class this coming year and ill be excited to see if Fountain returns next year to how well he was doing in TC

That's because you expected him to come in and put up a 1000 yard season.  Which was not a realistic expectation even when we had Andrew Luck and it's even more unrealistic now that we've downgraded to Brissett. 

13 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

That's because you expected him to come in and put up a 1000 yard season.  Which was not a realistic expectation even when we had Andrew Luck and it's even more unrealistic now that we've downgraded to Brissett. 

Uhhmmm wrong...... my expectations for Campbell was very modest 400-500 yards. Instead hes on pace for less than 150 (yes I realize he was injured for a couple games) but nonetheless he should really be getting #2 snaps and being a factor 

I'd say the #2 WR is either Doyle or Ebron. I'd like to see them thrown to alot more. 

I've said this probably 20x, but I would like to see Hines lined up at WR. 

I do like Pascal alot, but I think he is a solid #3.

Campbell and Cain have done nothing. 

I'm over Rogers. 

It will be nice to get Fountain and Funchess back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

We have just as good a chance this year to win the Superbowl as we're ever likely to have.  The window was thrown wide open when Patrick Mahomes, Nick Foles and Ben Roethllisberger got hurt.  Now JJ Watt is out for the year down in Houston too.  Our competition may never again be this badly diminished, even with the Patriots factored in.

The path has been cleared for us by some pretty serious injuries to key competing teams.  That opportunity might not be there next year

if we don't take advantage of this chance it might not come again in a decade.  by the time we've drafted people and they've grown into their roles other teams will have their premium assets back in line an we'll start over with maybe a slightly better chance than we had in week 1.  Our chances now are WAY better than they were in week 1.  Carpe diem!

Our secondary is too young right now to go far in the playoffs.  And the DL/pass rush too thin.

In addition to upgrading WR (could be PC or DF), we need something more on the DL and another year for our secondary to season.

There is no point in trading away a high pick just to take the spot of a player we already have on the roster, but don't know enough about.  If we gave up a high pick for a young 3tech or NT, I might have a different opinion.

The Colts O is going to continue to look the way it has, and we'll see how the additions of DF and/or PC help it.

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

I'd say the #2 WR is either Doyle or Ebron. I'd like to see them thrown to alot more. 

I've said this probably 20x, but I would like to see Hines lined up at WR. 

I do like Pascal alot, but I think he is a solid #3.

Campbell and Cain have done nothing. 

I'm over Rogers. 

It will be nice to get Fountain and Funchess back. 

I would love to see the route trees we ran yesterday against that defense. I’m not sure we are using enough players in the short to intermediate route. I don’t have a DVR anymore so I can’t rewatch anything but it appeared from the naked eye on tv that we ran a lot of longer pattern routes and either nothing opened up downfield or JB didn’t see it (or feel confident to try a tight window throw). Were the TE’s being left in a lot to block? Did our backs catch anything in the flats? Do we employ wheel routes? Do we have hot routes figured out for these blitzes? 

This game was against a top 5 defense no doubt but up to this game, they hadn’t had much out of their defensive star Miller. He was a beast against us yesterday. Just seems like we are game planning for the guys we want instead of the options we have. I’ve expected more shallow, quick hitting underneath routes, short crossing routes. I expected the balls to come out on the 3-5 step foot plant. I’m not noticing from the angle we get much of those. It’s more everyone runs intermediate to longer patterns and they aren’t working. We need to get more creative. Use Doyle more in games early. Show teams we are going to use the underneath stuff and then open the over the top stuff. Idk, how many other teams do we see that are using unknown receivers with QB’s that’s aren’t top shelf and their guys are getting open on routes. We have the guys and they have enough talent, sometimes I have to question the coaching. 

I put more blame on Reich not using Campbell correct. Even before the injury he wasn’t being used much. Give the kid more snaps in the slot.  We are missing that good slot receiver. I do think once Funchess comes back he will be pretty good as the bully slot. That should give JB A nice big target. He was really developing chemistry with him before the injury. He should get 3 weeks of practice in before the jags game to get back in sync with the offense.

7 hours ago, t-rex said:

Top 3:

TY Hilton

Zach Paschal

Chester Rogers

Missing in Action:

Deon Caine

Paris Campbell

Campbell has been MIA.  The injury didn't help, but he's been MIA when healthy. 

DK Metcalf (selected Round 2, Pick 32 [after Campbell]):

402 yards receiving; 23 receptions; 17.5 AVG; 4 TDs

Campbell (selected Round 2, Pick 27 [before Metcalf]):

62 yards receiving; 10 receptions; 6.2 AVG; 1 TD

So far, Metcalf has turned out to be the more impactful player. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

I agree Metcalf has been better but I would add that if Russell Wilson was the Colts QB and Brissett the Seahawks I think those numbers look wildly different for both WRs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

7 games into their careers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

I get what you're saying. But going all Obrien and trading the farm for magic beans isn't the answer either.  Houston did EXACTLY what you're suggesting and look where its gotten them.  They literally are screwed the next two seasons in the draft and probably for 4-5 years in terms of development after that.  Browns went all in during FA and look where they are, 2-6. People were declaring them the Superbowl champs after those trades and big FA signings. 

I'm fine with a player for a pick here or there, but betting the farm for a bean or two isn't the answer either. I think if a contributor came available and the price seemed fair or close to fair, Ballard would be all over it.  but he's not trading a 1, definitely not two of them. At the most, he'd trade a spare 2nd.

26 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

to be fair, Campbell hasn't played in the same number of games due to injury as well.  granted he needs to step it up but lets not forget the extra games padding those stats.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I put more blame on Reich not using Campbell correct. Even before the injury he wasn’t being used much. Give the kid more snaps in the slot.  We are missing that good slot receiver. I do think once Funchess comes back he will be pretty good as the bully slot. That should give JB A nice big target. He was really developing chemistry with him before the injury. He should get 3 weeks of practice in before the jags game to get back in sync with the offense.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

That’s another thing Reich has done wrong. Why can’t is Ebron only getting 22 snaps a game. He is one of your best playmakers. His snaps need to go up to about 40.

here's the thing.  This year looks a lot like last year with Luck.  The first 6 games looked rather Vanilla on offense, run run, pass. Pass, run run.  I think Reich started opening it up about week 8, we'll see if that happens with year with Brissett.  In both cases, he wasn't pushing the deep play, I think we'll see more of going forward.

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

For the life of me, the impatience by fans with young players is astounding

Fixed it.  Fans want instant gratifications these days.

7 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

So where are they?

Agree with you totally: The sky is falling.
:panic:

This is going to be a different team in January (barring injury). I may be foolish for thinking this way but I trust Reich and the coaching staff to work Funchess, Cain and Campbell in the rotation.

Do they need to improve? Yes. But I disagree that the answer is acquiring someone else, 8 games into the season.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

7 games into their careers

Hence, "so far."

Nowhere did I say "he's a bust" or any of those ridiculous tropes.  That wasn't my intention, and I certainly hope a simple statistical comparison gave that impression.

I think it's a comparison worthy of keeping an eye on since the numbers discrepancy is quite evident.

36 minutes ago, csmopar said:

to be fair, Campbell hasn't played in the same number of games due to injury as well.  granted he needs to step it up but lets not forget the extra games padding those stats.

Completely valid point. 

35 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

For the life of me, the impatience by fans with young WR's is astounding. 

I think some are impatient, but that same patience argument has been used for several previous Colts WRs, including Dorsett.  There are several rookie WRs in the league this year making a serious impact already. 

The thing is, a lot of dynamic players produce immediately.  As I said before, I'm not insinuating something ridiculous like Campbell is a bust.  Hopefully he just needs time to fully recover from the multiple injuries he's dealt with since becoming a Colt.  I believe he's had both a hamstring back during camp and, most recently, an abdominal problem.