Indianapolis Colts
WarGhost21

Jacoby Brissett Impressions: (Perma Merge)

9 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I was around the 8-8 mark, post Luck, pre injuries and pre seeing the regression on O. Even then I can’t see it going more than a game each way. Maybe 10-6 if we get hot down the home straight. 

We may well win the division, but that I feel is more damming on the Texans. Luck retires and you still can’t win the division?! They’re a weird team.

When Luck retired, this was Houston's division to lose IMO. They are a weird team. They may beat us tonight, they should in reality being at home. I had 8-8 at the beginning, if we win tonight 10-6 or 11-5 could happen. 

4 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

One thing I will say, the loss to us was out the ordinary. Win that game with the way they had been playing and they might have had a shot. But.. that’s the game for you.

Yeah...it was an outlier the way it happened. But when you look at 2014-2017...you see a lot of regular season wins and 1-3 in the playoffs.

I just see a lot of parallels between the vision for those KC teams...and what it appears to be the vision for the current Colts (strong OL, stingy defense, strong run game, efficient offense)...like Ballard says, "built to travel well in the playoffs." Even the QB are similar (though JB is not as athletic as Alex Smith). 

And honestly, I don't really know how to feel about it...and have a lot of cognitive dissoance about it. On the one hand...KC was a pretty good team and I envied some of their talent...but on the other hand...I also never really feared them as an opponent. And the playoff results (what truly matters to me) speaks for itself.

Then last year, in a team built around a downfield passing attack with a top tier QB, they seemed to handle "playoff conditions" just fine...and if not for Dee Ford lining up offsides...they are a Super Bowl team...in the FIRST year after moving on from Smith.

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I honestly think Love is the 2nd best overall, and a victim of being on a very bad team this year. 

Yeah there always seems like there is one or so QB's every draft that ends up great nobody thought would. Like Russell Wilson for example. Never know.

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I honestly think Love is the 2nd best overall, and a victim of being on a very bad team this year. 

If Love is there in the 2nd round...I would hope Ballard takes him. I see only upside to it...considering they are playing with house money with that pick. If he bombs...they are no worse for wear. If he is the player we hope he can be...Colts have a cheap CC QB to (hopefully) develop into a top tier QB. IF he pans out and JB takes a big leap...then we have options.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah there always seems like there is one or so QB's every draft that ends up great nobody thought would. Like Russell Wilson for example. Never know.

Love was incredible last year. This year.... lost his WRs, his RB, OL, and coaches/scheme... Almost ever very single thing on his team left but him.

4 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

If Love is there in the 2nd round...I would hope Ballard takes him. I see only upside to it...considering they are playing with house money with that pick. If he bombs...they are no worse for wear. If he is the player we hope he can be...Colts have a cheap CC QB to (hopefully) develop into a top tier QB. IF he pans out and JB takes a big leap...then we have options.

I think Love will move up to the 1st, but I can see Tua being available in that pick. I'd take him and let him sit/heal. We could trade him for a 1st likely if he heals properly in a year or two. It's basically delayed trade up for draft capital lol. 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Love was incredible last year. This year.... lost his WRs, his RB, OL, and coaches/scheme... Almost ever very single thing on his team left but him.

I will have to study these QB's more. I have seen Burrow play this year in 4 or 5 games because LSU is always on and I know he looks good. I don't know a lot about some of the others. I have seen Tua a lot as well but now he is injured.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will have to study these QB's more. I have seen Burrow play this year in 4 or 5 games because LSU is always on and I know he looks good. I don't know a lot about some of the others. I have seen Tua a lot as well but now he is injured.

Herbert is very good too.  IMO, both Love and Herbert have been asked to do too much this year. Tua and Burrow are surrounded with a ton of talent, way above Love and Herbert. Herbert a lot more than Love.

• Like 2

If Jacoby out plays Watson tonight it will be interesting to see the headlines in the media tomorrow. On Good Morning Football they said this will probably be a battle between the two for years to come.

• Like 1

Colin Cowherd said today Jacoby was immobile. I thought that was funny. He clearly hasn’t been paying attention.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

With the nature of the NFL, the only way Love or Tua is available in the second is if they have major red flags and the QB needy teams decide to pass

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Colin Cowherd said today Jacoby was immobile. I thought that was funny. He clearly hasn’t been paying attention.

First rule of fandom don’t believe CCfight club tyler GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always felt like Cowherd was more a fan of Luck than the Colts. Jacoby isn't as mobile as Luck, but the drop off isn't insane. 

19 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

1 minute ago, AustinnKaine said:

I always felt like Cowherd was more a fan of Luck than the Colts. Jacoby isn't as mobile as Luck, but the drop off isn't insane. 

For me CC is a true talking head and someone I don’t believe at alll

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

For me CC is a true talking head and someone I don’t believe at alll

I do enjoy listening to him, I just think you're right and he is just another talking head. Almost everyone outside of Indy doubt the Colts. 

Thank you Chris Ballard for making the trade to get Jacoby Brissett because that trade literally saved the Colts franchise once Luck retired.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That's a new one.

I guess we can add that to the long list of his deficiencies.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

It’s fair to say we’re currently outperforming expectations, both in terms of qualitative and quantitive expectations, especially our Pythagorean one. It would be remiss to Not say that it could beinfluenced by the unquantifiable such as leadership, motivation etc. Areas I think, Brissett especially, we are strong in.

Small number of games, you’ll get outliers. I guess my counter question is do you think our current style/level of play is sustainable in the long term to win consistently, both for the rest of the season and beyond? 

To me?                esprit de corps

4 hours ago, Superman said:

JB isn't 6-2, the Colts are 6-2 in games in which JB starts. (Actually 6-3, but we're throwing out the Steelers game.)

Correct, as above.    esprit de corps

That was a really, really uninspiring performance. Check down Jacoby was in full effect and when he got to his second read, he ran. Just meh at best.  

• Like 1

Brissett, 149 total yards

J. Williams 121 total yards. 

Our passing game, mainly the QB, is an issue

• Like 1

Jacoby is going to lead us into QB purgatory.

Announcers are starting to pick his game apart.  

I’ve been a big backer of Brissett, and giving him a chance. But days like to day are starting to make that much harder. Gotta say, at this point, I don’t see him making a huge leap this year and hopefully going into next year, he can work on his reads and release time.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

I’ve been a big backer of Brissett, and giving him a chance. But days like to day are starting to make that much harder. Gotta say, at this point, I don’t see him making a huge leap this year and hopefully going into next year, he can work on his reads and release time.

There shouldn't be a next year, if he's the QB then something went horribly wrong. They need to draft a guy and let him win with a team that's essentially already built to win. We're a functional QB away from being a contender again. This is a better all-around team than Luck had last year, and it will be even better next year, just get a QB. 

• Like 1

Just now, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

There shouldn't be a next year, if he's the QB then something went horribly wrong. They need to draft a guy and let him win with a team that's essentially already built to win. We're a functional QB away from being a contender again. This is a better all-around team than Luck had last year, and it will be even better next year, just get a QB. 

Not that I agree or disagree on any of those points but from the guys projecting to come out, there’s maybe 1 guy that looks the part. Granted it’s a crap shoot. But regardless , it’s rare to find a franchise QB where we will be drafting. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Not that I agree or disagree on any of those points but from the guys projecting to come out, there’s maybe 1 guy that looks the part. Granted it’s a crap shoot. But regardless , it’s rare to find a franchise QB where we will be drafting. 

I'd take Herbert, Fromm, Love, Eason, and Hurts over Jacoby, with a preference being 1)Eason 2)Herbert 3)Hurts. 

He makes no effort to look around and see what’s going on during a play. He stares down his intended target and hopes the dink and dunk works out. The 4th down target to Pascal... he was covered the whole way from snap to whistle. Jacoby never looked at anyone else. Stared him down and threw a low pass to a blanketed receiver. 

Very uninspiring from Jacoby. The efficiency only gets you so far. When the game gets tall and he needs to put it on his shoulders and carry us to a win he’s just another guy. 

Tonight was that night where he had to put his big boy pants on. Trailing in the second half of the 4th in a big game that we really needed to win. How did he handle it? Not well. Not well at all. Didn’t move the ball when the time came to take the game over, and lost control and had to burn a crucial timeout in a situation where that absolutely should not have happened. 

Good backup. Great teammate. Probably an even better dude. 

Capable of carrying a team as a franchise QB to years of contention?

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a455098a01537c2e43d

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Drafting a QB in this upcoming draft is a no-brainer.

The idea of giving JB a long-term extension is scary.

25 minutes ago, csmopar said:

He's just not showing improvement from game to game.  That's the real problem with backing Brissett.  If I could see a distinctive difference between week 2 and week 12, I'd at least be holding out hope despite my criticism.  But I'm not seeing it, and the criticism is starting to turn into judgments.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Yeah...it was an outlier the way it happened. But when you look at 2014-2017...you see a lot of regular season wins and 1-3 in the playoffs.

I just see a lot of parallels between the vision for those KC teams...and what it appears to be the vision for the current Colts (strong OL, stingy defense, strong run game, efficient offense)...like Ballard says, "built to travel well in the playoffs." Even the QB are similar (though JB is not as athletic as Alex Smith). 

And honestly, I don't really know how to feel about it...and have a lot of cognitive dissoance about it. On the one hand...KC was a pretty good team and I envied some of their talent...but on the other hand...I also never really feared them as an opponent. And the playoff results (what truly matters to me) speaks for itself.

Then last year, in a team built around a downfield passing attack with a top tier QB, they seemed to handle "playoff conditions" just fine...and if not for Dee Ford lining up offsides...they are a Super Bowl team...in the FIRST year after moving on from Smith.

Totally agree with your assessment except I will say the new offense isn't a winning offense...its a one trick pony led by an , at best, game manager. If leadership was the main criteria, Patton would have been all world. I will take the ability to scan the field, audible, throw into tight windows, etc over telling a rookie "you should be here earlier" any day. Brady, Brees, Rogers, Luck work as leaders on a winning team due to their football abilities.

3 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Drafting a QB in this upcoming draft is a no-brainer.

The idea of giving JB a long-term extension is scary.

I have it on good authority that he's getting a 4 year extension and we're not drafting a QB.

Well, when I say good authority....

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I have it on good authority that he's getting a 4 year extension and we're not drafting a QB.

That would be scary.....

If we draft a QB it better be the right one because JB is above average, he isn't a Hoyer or a Painter like some are making him out to be. As a Colts fan I feel bad for JB because we have a fan base that some doesn't like him. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ColtsAC said:

Totally agree with your assessment except I will say the new offense isn't a winning offense...its a one trick pony led by an , at best, game manager. If leadership was the main criteria, Patton would have been all world. I will take the ability to scan the field, audible, throw into tight windows, etc over telling a rookie "you should be here earlier" any day. Brady, Brees, Rogers, Luck work as leaders on a winning team due to their football abilities.

I’d start Alexander and get Rommel to back him up.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

It’s over then.  It’s time to move on.

9 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I slightly disagree here. It depends on who the QB is we draft and how ready he is to play immediately. For example, if we draft Jordan Love it's very possible he won't be ready and would greatly benefit from learning from the coaching staff the sidelines without pressure to perform right away. This way you will have 2 off-seasons and 1 in-season period to develop him and smooth over his weaknesses, which if not addressed my doom his career before it even starts. 

In all cases I want Jacoby to finish this season, because I think he's still the best option for us to win games now... and even if there is a small chance that he takes a leap in the last third of the season, I want to see it. 

But... if we draft a QB high I want open competition for the starting job next summer. That means - if Frank and Ballard think he's ready before the season starts, then give him the job. If not - keep Brissett as the starter and develop the new guy for the following year... 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, csmopar said:

You don't spare resources for a QB IMO. If you love a player and think he can be your franchise QB, you trade up to get him. I don't know if Ballard loves any of the QBs, I don't know if he's watching them even right now, but yeah... this is my position - we have some good picks in excess of our own to use to trade up. Go get the QB you love. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

he isn't a Hoyer or a Painter like some are making him out to be

That's not happening.

• Like 2

Take a look at this and tell me why / what it means.

Aside from the two minute drive at the end of the first half, we had 22 first down play calls (including plays that were penalized). We called a run play on 18 of them. That's 82%. (Run plays don't include QB scrambles.)

Aside from the two minute drive at the end of the first half, we had 21 second down play calls (including plays that were penalized). We called a run play on 15 of them. That's 71%. (This does include the QB keeper / read option for a TD, which appeared to be a called run play. Maybe it was RPO, but it would still qualify.)

We had 2nd and 5, or less, seven times. We called a run on six of those seven plays.

On the final drive (the turnover on downs), we had three first down play calls. We called a run play all three times. We had three second down play calls. We called a run twice. 

On the final drive, we ran ten plays. Six of them were called runs. The four called pass plays came on 2nd and 8, 3rd and 8, 3rd and 7, and 4th and 7. Result was 1/3 for 13 yards, and a six yard scramble on 4th and 7.

I would especially like to know how this influences one's thoughts about "tipping off the defense," since that's the prevailing counter-argument against using more play action, or using screen passes.

I would also like to know from you all why the play calling is so run-centric, so conservative. 

And I would like to know why, when the run game is going well, we don't mix in more play action.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4