Indianapolis Colts
t-rex

The passing game through 6 games, 2018 vs. 2019.

43 minutes ago, stitches said:

I try to engage in pretty much every interaction here in a friendly manner, which doesn't mean I won't state my disagreements with other fans. With very few extremely rare exceptions I have not seen anyone assert their authority here and the ones that do actually say it out loud and quite honestly don't inspire any more confidence in me than any other person on the site(arguments from authority not being my favorite thing). 

We are ALL fans here. I am willing to bet that the % of people here ever hired by an NFL team to do anything football related is extremely low, if not nil. So when people come here to talk Colts and football and see something they don't like or disagree with, what's the point of saying you don't give a crap about the opinions of the people here? You know what you are getting here, close to zero people on this forum have ever pretended to be more than what everyone else here is(a fan)... what's the point of those comments and why are you here if you know what you are getting pretty much 100% of the time here and you don't give a crap about it? To me this is either trolling or dishonest way to dismiss opinions you don't like. (the 'you' in this paragraph is not directed specifically at you, Imgrandojji, but rather at the general 'you' of people that make statements like this)

I might not like some of your arguments and evaluations about Brissett, for example. Have I ever pulled the "well u just watch games on TV and you are nobody so I don't give a crap about your opinion"? This is such a silly nonsense rhetoric. Yes, you are nobody, and I am nobody. We are not here because we are somebodies in the football world. We are here because we are fans and we can talk friendly or sometimes passionately about the team we love with everything that goes with it and with all the agreements and disagreements we have. 

Anyways... I apologize for derailing the thread that @t-rex put some work in. 

All well said.

20 hours ago, Calmack said:

Grasping at whatever they can to somehow put Brisset anywhere near Lucks level.

Don't get me wrong. I like Brisset. But we went from a bonafide contender to maybe a wild-card win after Lucks retirement.

I don’t see it as that at all. No one is saying or has said that Brisset is near Luck. Luck was a generational talent. Brisset is a solid game manager. Lucks potential is and was higher.

that said, I think it’s a fair comparison. Neither Luck in 2018, nor Brisset in 2019 had played a meaningful game of football in more than a season. So while it could be argued that Luck was rusty last year the first 5-7 games, how do we know Brissett isn’t rusty as we speak and trying to find his groove yet?

about the only difference that is arguable is the OL. 

As for the ceiling with Brissett and any playoff runs that may or may not happen, it’s hard to tell. Brissett went in a smacked an undefeated at the time, and arguably the hottest offense. The running game was a huge part of that, yes. But I still think Brissett hasn’t fully uncorked this year just yet. 

And lets not forget, he’s 1 Td from being tied for the league lead in TDs with one less game played. And has the lowest TD/INT ratio at this point in his career than anyone including Aaron Rogers.

I think what all this shows is that the drop off from the great Luck to Brissett is nowhere near as bad as many, myself included feared 7-8 weeks ago

• Thanks 1

lol we literally do this all the time..for one i’m happy we’re just winning idc who had what at what time and couldn’t do this or that..the 2019 Colts are Winning Football Games and we were ruled as Dead after Luck retired just enjoy that we are all getting to witness some good football by our Young football team :) 

I said I would update the numbers for Week 7 as soon as I could.

2019 15/25  201 8.1  0/0  Rating 85.88

2018 17/23  156 6.8  4/0  Rating 131.5

I will add them to the general total every 3 weeks.

The problem with the Colts is this. Chris Ballard said he likes them draft picks, but his coaching staff and QB1 does not. D Cain is not active on game day and if he is. There is no plays and no targets and the same with Paris Campbell this coaching staff and QB1 does not like them draft picks. Just thinking that the W.R. for Denver that beat Colts repeatedly yesterday,  Sutton, If that guy was on this  roster,  does this coaching staff run anything for him. Does QB1 even look his way? Or is he inactive on game day? With that said since this coaching staff and QB1 does not like Chris draft picks why don’t trade for someone they will target.

This is so frustrating as a fan because they are saying one thing in TC or during the draft but doing something completely different during the season. 
I’m just a fan and knowledge is limited at best. All I do know is very guys we would not play or draft here is the very guys that the Colts can’t seem to stop on game day

8 minutes ago, JR Indy said:

The problem with the Colts is this. Chris Ballard said he likes them draft picks, but his coaching staff and QB1 does not. D Cain is not active on game day and if he is. There is no plays and no targets and the same with Paris Campbell this coaching staff and QB1 does not like them draft picks. Just thinking that the W.R. for Denver that beat Colts repeatedly yesterday,  Sutton, If that guy was on this  roster,  does this coaching staff run anything for him. Does QB1 even look his way? Or is he inactive on game day? With that said since this coaching staff and QB1 does not like Chris draft picks why don’t trade for someone they will target.

This is so frustrating as a fan because they are saying one thing in TC or during the draft but doing something completely different during the season. 
I’m just a fan and knowledge is limited at best. All I do know is very guys we would not play or draft here is the very guys that the Colts can’t seem to stop on game day

Campbell  has been very disappointing.  Frank Reich  hyped  him up like he was going to be a force and then he is invisible  on game days. Cain is a disappointment,  pascal is inconsistent,  Roger's is nothing special,  ebron inconsistent 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

Campbell  has been very disappointing.  Frank Reich  hyped  him up like he was going to be a force and then he is invisible  on game days. Cain is a disappointment,  pascal is inconsistent,  Roger's is nothing special,  ebron inconsistent 

Exactly, I know the draft is Chris Ballard thing, and so is free agency. Why not bring in some guys the coaching staff does mind working with or targeting on game day. And not just training camp

18 minutes ago, JR Indy said:

Exactly, I know the draft is Chris Ballard thing, and so is free agency. Why not bring in some guys the coaching staff does mind working with or targeting on game day. And not just training camp

I thought the coaching staff has a responsibility to play the hand that's dealt them and not just guys they like.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I thought the coaching staff has a responsibility to play the hand that's dealt them and not just guys they like.

That’s what I thought, but on game days this is exactly what it looks like 

54 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I wish I knew what was going on with Campbell and Cain. During the Houston game, Cain played 37 snaps and wasn't targeted one time. That is stunning! The following week he was deactivated.

Paschal and Rodgers shouldn't be good enough to keep Campbell and Cain from even being remote factors in the Colts passing game.

Something's up.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 2:52 PM, stitches said:

Why do we keep doing this when we all thought Luck's arm was shot the first 4-5 weeks of the season while he was getting it back in shape after returning from his injury and while we were trying to avoid killing Luck because neither AC nor Smith were yet staring and the run game was non-existent?

Numbers are good to have, numbers without context are useless. What's this incessant desire to prove Jacoby is playing close to Luck's level? He's not. And he very likely never will. Believe me, this is NOT a comparison you will want to be making in the long run. Nothing good will come of it for Brissett. Let Brissett succeed or fail on his own terms. 

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, Stephen said:

People don't mention these things when trying to accurately critique JB.

Our young receivers haven't done much so far this year. I don't blame Frank and co for leaning on the run game.

• Thanks 1

On 10/26/2019 at 12:45 PM, t-rex said:

GAME 1

39/53 329 2/1

Pts. 23

21/27 190 2/0

Pts. 24

GAME 2

21/31 179 2/2

Pts. 21

17/28 146 3/1

Pts. 19

GAME 3

25/40 163 1/0

Pts. 16

28/37 310 3/0

Pts. 27

GAME 4

40/64 464 4/0

Pts. 34

24/46 265 3/1

Pts. 24

GAME 5

38/59 365 3/2

Pts. 24

18/29 151 0/1

Pts. 19

GAME 6

23/43 301 4/3

Pts. 34

26/39 326 4/0

Pts. 30

Jacoby Brissett: 134/206   1388    65%    6.73   14/3    Rating 100.98

Points per game: 143/23.83

Andrew Luck: 186/290     1801    64%    6.21    16/8    Rating 88.3

Points per game: 152/25.33.

Observations:

Through the first 6 games, the 2019 offense has scored just 9 fewer points compared to 2018. If Adam Vinatieri had just been average for the first few weeks, the 2019 offense actually would have been more productive. 

The 2019 passing game is currently averaging more yards per pass play than we did through 6 games in 2018 (6.73 vs. 6.21). And we are on pace to nearly equal the mark for the 2018 season (6.7 vs. 7.2).

The passer rating is higher through 6 games than it was through 6 games last year. The passer rating is currently on pace to finish slightly higher for the season than it was in 2018 (100.98 vs. 98.7).

The completion percentage is comparable across the board. Through 6 games last year it was 64% vs. 65% this year. The 2018 Colts finished the season with a 67% completion percentage.

The 2018 team threw the ball far more often. The production in yards is based on volume. Not efficiency.

The 2018 team threw a lot more interceptions through the first 6 games (8 vs. 3). The interception rate was not due to the increased passing volume. In 2018 through 6 games our interception rate was 2.75%. In 2019 it is just 1.45%.

Note: Sports Reporter Stephen Holder pointed out on twitter that Jacoby Brissett has less career starts than Mitchell Trubisky, Dak Prescott and Deshaun Watson. He's still very young at the position.

I find this topic endlessly fascinating. The numbers are from me sitting at my computer with a calculator. If there are any mistakes or typos please let me know and I will correct them. This is why I posted the game by game numbers. More eyes are always better. We play tomorrow. I will update as we move forward.

The problem with this comparison is that you are comparing a perfectly healthy Jacoby Brissett to a Andrew Luck who is just coming off a bad shoulder injury.