Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Gordon as a Colt?

I don't see the Colts bringing in Gordon...but I wouldn't mind it. They don't really have anyone like that on the roster...who is fast and can go up and get the deep ball (at least not that we have seen). 

I thought Emmanuel Sanders might have been a good fit as well...especially in this offense.

Ultimately, I doubt Ballard makes a move for a WR. The focus will be on development and (hopefully) drafting one next year.

14 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Anyone that can run fast , run precise routes and catch balls fits here.    I don't think he is a Ballard guy though

He is and always has been an intriguing guy. Tons of talent. Has been an * in his years of football. Has t ever stayed content with being an nfl rule type guy for an entire season yet I don’t think. Just allow the nfl to either wash their hands of this kid, he’s made millions to blow for his lifetime and let him go burn the pot leaves and frolic around like a horny teenager. That’s what he wants to do, quit letting him play the strings of the nfl or adopt a policy the erases pot from the drug policy. 1 or the other and I don’t really care which one. 

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good question.   Glad someone asked it.   I was about to.   Turns out, the next post, by East Street,  had all the answers anyone could want.   But I yours was still the right question to ask. 

It didn’t give all the answers. If Having a healthy Gordon back in a few games was what was happening, no need to be giving up picks for Sanu when you still have all those other “great” targets. Either Gordon is honestly broken and out of commission for more than a few games or he has broken the BB rules somewhere. Either way, cut bait and let him go hang out with Kapernick and the other malcontent FB players wanting to play football again on their terms. 

After reading about his history, I don't think it would be a good idea, but I'm not slamming the door on the idea either.

He's not just an immature knucklehead, he's a full-blown addict.

However, sometimes addicts really do turn their lives around and apply their addictive personality to the right things.  It's possible he has pulled himself up out of that hole he dug for himself and is on the right path.  And if that's the case, he might actually be a good addition to our locker room.  If he is now addicted to working out and being healthy and improving as a football player instead of drinking, smoking, and popping pills before kickoff...

The idea of the Colts having the best version of Josh Gordon...  :rock:

16 hours ago, EastStreet said:

He's not really being released. He's injured and being placed on IR which effectively ends his season (and contract with NE). NE only had one slot left for "IR-designated to return", and they're going to use that on their OT (so no room for Gordon).

Doesn't mean they can re-sign him next year. N'Keal Harry is due back next week from injury, so they're probably happy with Edleman/Sanu/Dorsett/Harry going forward.

From what I'm hearing, they're not gonna bring him back this offseason

45 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

From what I'm hearing, they're not gonna bring him back this offseason

Actually, they may have to release him well before the offseason.

First, the Pats will use their 2 designate to return on N'Keal Harry, and Isiah Wynn.  So Josh is out.

Also, IR rules state a player can be on IR if he has an injury that would keep him from practice (or playing) for 42 calendar days (6 weeks).  Gordon's knee doesn't appear to meet the standard.

So how did BB get him on IR, cheat?  No.  A team can place a guy on IR for a more minor injury, BUT...  once healthy, that team must release the player.

So to me, it's only a matter of when, not if, he gets cut.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Actually, they may have to release him well before the offseason.

First, the Pats will use their 2 designate to return on N'Keal Harry, and Isiah Wynn.  So Josh is out.

Also, IR rules state a player can be on IR if he has an injury that would keep him from practice (or playing) for 42 calendar days (6 weeks).  Gordon's knee doesn't appear to meet the standard.

So how did BB get him on IR, cheat?  No.  A team can place a guy on IR for a more minor injury, BUT...  once healthy, that team must release the player.

So to me, it's only a matter of when, not if, he gets cut.

They must think he has the potential to help a rival.  If not, theyd just release him wouldn't they?

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

If he has to go through waivers I can see Ballard putting in a claim along with a lot of other teams.   I think another team ahead of us on the waiver list will get him.  

Since the Pats placed him on I.R. they can likely keep him on it long enough to pass the trade deadline. (October 29). All players cut ( vet or not) have to go through waivers after that day.  So Pats made room on the roster (for Sanu) AND kept Gordon from signing as a FA to another contender using him on short term IR, knowing his release would place him on the waiver wire once cleared, and not in a bidding war with playoff contenders. Yes, chalk up another for the Hoodie.

35 minutes ago, Nickster said:

They must think he has the potential to help a rival.  If not, theyd just release him wouldn't they?

Yes, exactly. See above.

Waiver wire almost assures Gordon lands on a weak club, now.

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Since the Pats placed him on I.R. they can likely keep him on it long enough to pass the trade deadline. (October 29). All players cut ( vet or not) have to go through waivers after that day.  So Pats made room on the roster (for Sanu) AND kept Gordon from signing as a FA to another contender using him on short term IR, knowing his release would place him on the waiver wire once cleared, and not in a bidding war with playoff contenders. Yes, chalk up another for the Hoodie.

Yes, exactly. See above.

Waiver wire almost assures Gordon lands on a weak club, now.

I doubt a weak club would pick him up.  It doesn't seem like a good move, but who knows?  I would think he would pass through the weaker clubs as not someone you want to have as part of a rebuild.  

I think he will pass through the bottom half of the league, but then it will be interesting what clubs would be interested.  

I think he could help the club.  He's been a model player on the field.  If he was to fall to the Colts, I think they should nab him. If it doesn't work out, and you've lost Chet Rogers or whoever, no biggie.

9 hours ago, DougDew said:

Ok thanks.  NE didn't have a return from IR slot available when they placed him on IR.  I get it.

How bad was the knee injury when they placed him on IR, knowing they were out of slots for returning, or maybe they didn't know that at the time? 

It wasn't all that bad. He had some kind of bone bruise before the injury a few years ago. I guess perhaps things were lingering but I doubt he would have missed more than a just a few games. Or Belichick just didn't think he was a good match given all the baggage. Probably a mix. Sanu is definitely the better "professional". Just a little surprised the hoodie gave up a 2nd round pick.

49 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It wasn't all that bad. He had some kind of bone bruise before the injury a few years ago. I guess perhaps things were lingering but I doubt he would have missed more than a just a few games. Or Belichick just didn't think he was a good match given all the baggage. Probably a mix. Sanu is definitely the better "professional". Just a little surprised the hoodie gave up a 2nd round pick.

Yeah, just seems like Gordon was on his way out anyway and the knee injury IR was a low-key way of doing it.  I think they upgraded by getting Sanu. 

I think there is a coach on the Pats who has ties with Sanu and Sanu has been on the Pats radar for a while.  That probably means he will fit right in and be a great success.

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, just seems like Gordon was on his way out anyway and the knee injury IR was a low-key way of doing it.  I think they upgraded by getting Sanu. 

I think there is a coach on the Pats who has ties with Sanu and Sanu has been on the Pats radar for a while.  That probably means he will fit right in and be a great success.

Pats tried to get Sanu a couple times in the past 2 years, but ATL said no. Guessing now that ATL is out of the playoff hunt, and their salary cap situation is FUBAR. I expect ATL to seek trades for a couple more guys between now and next season. They've got a lot of fat to trim.

Sanu is just a great well rounded guy. Good receiver, good blocker, etc., and he can throw it or run it if asked. Hard worker and a good "pro"  that will fit in really well. Gordon just seems like a "me" guy with all of his baggage. IIRC, NE's WRs have all had injury issues this year, so it makes sense. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

I doubt a weak club would pick him up.  It doesn't seem like a good move, but who knows? 

Well, he may draw butts in the stands, but the big draw is the compensatory pick when he signs elsewhere as a FA next year.

I would think he would pass through the weaker clubs as not someone you want to have as part of a rebuild.  

I think he will pass through the bottom half of the league, but then it will be interesting what clubs would be interested.

A team would have to take his contract, and assume he will be healthy and stay 'clean'. Also knowing he is an FA next year...

I think he could help the club.  He's been a model player on the field.  If he was to fall to the Colts, I think they should nab him. If it doesn't work out, and you've lost Chet Rogers or whoever, no biggie.

There is always that risk, he helps (even big time) until week __x__ and then gets caught and suspended/perma banned again.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

It was reported today that NE is not happy with his conditioning. This has been a lingering issue. If he is released before Wed he can pick his team. If they release him after Wed he has to go through waivers.

He gets released when a doctor OK's him, which will be anytime after 10/29

46 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Pats tried to get Sanu a couple times in the past 2 years, but ATL said no. Guessing now that ATL is out of the playoff hunt, and their salary cap situation is FUBAR. I expect ATL to seek trades for a couple more guys between now and next season. They've got a lot of fat to trim.

Sanu is just a great well rounded guy. Good receiver, good blocker, etc., and he can throw it or run it if asked. Hard worker and a good "pro"  that will fit in really well. Gordon just seems like a "me" guy with all of his baggage. IIRC, NE's WRs have all had injury issues this year, so it makes sense. 

ATL is a team built to win now.  And they're not.  How far they blow it up is yet to be seen.  I think they have to keep  Calvin Ridley, their TE (Hooper?), and hopefully Deon Jones, Grady Jarret, and Tack McKinley as a nucleus, but a lot of other players are going to get moved one way or another.  Those five players would make a great nucleus, as most are young.  I wonder about Julio Jones.

They built their team to chase NO for the NFC champs.  And now GB is back and SF has surpassed them.  It will be interesting to watch.  Their coach is almost assuredly gone.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

It was reported today that NE is not happy with his conditioning. 

Duh.  Wink wink. Conditioning is one of the first things to go when you regularly fill your lungs with smoke...even in the past. 

Never seen a successful athlete smoke anything, even Marlboros.  Except John Daly....

28 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Duh.  Wink wink. Conditioning is one of the first things to go when you regularly fill your lungs with smoke...even in the past. 

Never seen a successful athlete smoke anything, even Marlboros.  Except John Daly....

Michael Jordan,  Conner McGregor,  Micheal Phelps,  Warren Sapp, Micheal Vick,  Ricky Williams,  

Randy Moss,  Kareem Abdul jabbar.    And a whole host of others.   

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DougDew said:

ATL is a team built to win now.  And they're not.  How far they blow it up is yet to be seen.  I think they have to keep  Calvin Ridley, their TE (Hooper?), and hopefully Deon Jones, Grady Jarret, and Tack McKinley as a nucleus, but a lot of other players are going to get moved one way or another.  Those five players would make a great nucleus, as most are young.  I wonder about Julio Jones.

They built their team to chase NO for the NFC champs.  And now GB is back and SF has surpassed them.  It will be interesting to watch.  Their coach is almost assuredly gone.

Quinn goes at the end of the season, and perhaps Demitroff too. Depending on who they get to replace Quinn and Demitroff will likely dictate who deep they blow things up. ATL just saw the Braves rebuild pretty quickly, so perhaps Blank goes deep with the Falcons too. 

I do agree on they have some really nice pieces. They also have a lot of over paid mediocre guys too. I'd definitely keep Jarret, but the other DLs I'd look to swap. I'd keep Hooper too, and let Stocker go if needed. 

With the right trades, they could bank some good draft picks and revamp over the next too years. I feel sorry for Ryan though. 

5 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

Josh Gordon has just as much of a chance of being a Colt than Antonio Brown. 

Thank goodness the Colts GM believes in character and a strong locker room. Neither of those players fit this culture.

Thank you Mr. Ballard. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Michael Jordan,  Conner McGregor,  Micheal Phelps,  Warren Sapp, Micheal Vick,  Ricky Williams,  

Randy Moss,  Kareem Abdul jabbar.    And a whole host of others.   

I guess that list makes my opinion wrong?

I have no idea how often they put smoke into their lungs, if they can stop long enough to pass a test.  I'm sure that many athletes smoke cigars too. 

I would think that any personal training professional would strongly advise any person to not smoke if they want to maximize their cardio functions.   Not being happy with Gordon's conditioning is not that surprising to me, but others might need a lot more data before seeing a correlation. 

What's with all the intrigue in good players with bad character?  It's not going to happen.  We can win enough with good people, don't need to add poison to win.  Not like Gordon would take us from a playoff team to a super bowl team by himself.

On 10/23/2019 at 8:17 PM, jskinnz said:

2) I am not sure there is a more tired message board phrase than "kick the tires."

I think "if you think we do that, you clearly don't know Chris Ballard" beats that, at least here

I don't think there has been any strong suggestion that a policy violation, rulebook issue, or character is the cause of NE potentially releasing him.  Its his ability to perform his job, either by a minor knee injury or by inadequate conditioning.  I speculate that the conditioning issue is at the root and that the knee injury was overstated.  I also speculate at what is the source of the conditioning issue.  But the issue has to do with BB's opinion of Gordon's performance, not the judgmental issues of character or what the rulebook should or should not say.  Character or policy issues, apparently, are not the reason for his pending release.

57 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I have no idea how often they put smoke into their lungs, if they can stop long enough to pass a test.  I'm sure that many athletes smoke cigars too. 

I would think that any personal training professional would strongly advise any person to not smoke if they want to maximize their cardio functions.   Not being happy with Gordon's conditioning is not that surprising to me, but others might need a lot more data before seeing a correlation. 

You said you had never seen a successfull athlete who smoked.    I gave you several.   Im not suggesting smoking is the best route to maximum lung function

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Tobacco, no.  But the way people typically smoke marijuana (taking a large breath and holding it in) doesn't damage lung function.  It may actually improve it.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/pot-smokers-can-maybe-breathe-a-little-easier

And then there was the really good news for pot smokers: smoking marijuana in moderation may actually improve lung function, perhaps because inhaling gives the lungs and the chest muscles a bit of a workout.

Obviously more research needs to be done, but now that it's legal in places, that research is happening.  :thmup:

So yes, you're right about tobacco (cigarettes and cigars), but I don't know if Gordon smokes tobacco, so I don't know if your comments about smoke and cardio are relevant to this thread.  :dunno:

• Like 1