Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Glowinski

zibby43

For those of you that were paying super close attention to Glow, how did he play against Houston?

All types of analysis welcomed, from PFF to your own visual observations. 

I remember him as an under-the-radar stud last season (one of the top guards in the entire league), but I've noticed him struggling a bit this year (relative to his form last year).  I didn't get a chance to watch him as closely during the game, and I haven't had a chance to re-watch it yet.  

Last time I checked (before the Texans game), he was ranked 50th in run blocking (per PFF).  Nelson was 2nd, AC - 11th, Smith - 20th, and Kelly - 41st.

Wonder if some of the scheme changes up front have affected him.  Smith, on the other hand, is getting stronger relative to last year.   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

For those of you that were paying super close attention to Glow, how did he play against Houston?

I remember him as an under-the-radar stud last season (one of the top guards in the entire league), but I've noticed him struggling a bit this year (relative to his form last year).  I didn't get a chance to watch him as closely during the game, and I haven't had a chance to re-watch it yet.  

Last time I checked (before the Texans game), he was ranked 50th in run blocking (per PFF).  Nelson was 2nd, AC - 11th, Smith - 20th, and Kelly - 41st.

Wonder if some of the scheme changes up front have affected him.  Smith, on the other hand, is getting stronger relative to last year.   

Glow isnt a worldbeater, but he does his job

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Glow isnt a worldbeater, but he does his job

And I feel like he and Braden Smith work well together on the right side with stunts. They seem to communicate well and play well off each other which is huge for an OL. 

Unless there is an obvious upgrade available in the 4/5th round range in the 2020 draft, I'd say we should be good at starting RG. We should still add better depth on the OL though, especially at OT. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Glow is struggling a bit with the new coach's philosophy and technique.  He still seems good in a phone booth but when he has to move first to engage is where he seems to be struggling to get proper position on the defender.

A couple of examples.  I think it was against the Raiders the DT lined up on Glow's right shoulder, the play called for Glow to get to the defenders left shoulder but Glow over extended himself and did not stay square to the LOS.  The result was the DT, looped towards Glow's left shoulder and got in the backfield nearly untouched.

On another play, the blocking called for Glow and Smith to crash left but there was a DT directly over glow, a near impossible distance to Smith to cover.  Glow's technique should have been to extend his arm while moving to the left to slow the guy over him and give Smith a chance to get into position.  But again, Glow turned his body too far and did not even attempt to get a hand on the DT.  The result was the guy Smith as supposed to get blew the play up in the backfield.

Another issue that Glow is having to deal with is teams are not lining someone over Nelson very often, so they shift towards the offensive right side so Kelly is not able to help with Glow as much as he did last year.

Lastly, a lot of the technique in this blocking scheme requires excellent balance and playing with the ball of the foot and heel being in contact with the ground at the same time.  And Glow seems to be thinking a lot about his body position and foot placement, so his mirroring ability and hand placement are suffering.

Thank you, I enjoyed reading that.  Very detailed analysis of technique.

Considering the fact that he is healthy (to our knowledge), I was wondering if the new schemes being employed this year were tripping him up a bit.

16 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Glow is the weak point on the line and teams attack him.  He holds his own on most plays which is what you can ask for. He’s replaceable if an upgrade comes along but plays well enough you don’t have to go get someone.

Brandon Scherff may be as available this offseason. With Luck retiring I wouldn’t mind Ballard opening up the check book for him. He’d upgrade Glowinski ten fold. You put him on the line with Kelly and Nelson and you’ve got the best interior OL in the NFL. No one would be able to pick/target anyone on the line as a weak link.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Brandon Scherff may be as available this offseason. With Luck retiring I wouldn’t mind Ballard opening up the check book for him. He’d upgrade Glowinski ten fold. You put him on the line with Kelly and Nelson and you’ve got the best interior OL in the NFL. No one would be able to pick/target anyone on the line as a weak link.

Then Smith becomes the “weak link”.  With that said I expect the Colts to use that money to start signing guys like AC and TY.  Ballard just doesn’t go after big name free agents and they just extended Glow last year so I think he’s the guy baring injury for the time being.

6 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Glow is struggling a bit with the new coach's philosophy and technique.  He still seems good in a phone booth but when he has to move first to engage is where he seems to be struggling to get proper position on the defender.

A couple of examples.  I think it was against the Raiders the DT lined up on Glow's right shoulder, the play called for Glow to get to the defenders left shoulder but Glow over extended himself and did not stay square to the LOS.  The result was the DT, looped towards Glow's left shoulder and got in the backfield nearly untouched.

On another play, the blocking called for Glow and Smith to crash left but there was a DT directly over glow, a near impossible distance to Smith to cover.  Glow's technique should have been to extend his arm while moving to the left to slow the guy over him and give Smith a chance to get into position.  But again, Glow turned his body too far and did not even attempt to get a hand on the DT.  The result was the guy Smith as supposed to get blew the play up in the backfield.

Another issue that Glow is having to deal with is teams are not lining someone over Nelson very often, so they shift towards the offensive right side so Kelly is not able to help with Glow as much as he did last year.

Lastly, a lot of the technique in this blocking scheme requires excellent balance and playing with the ball of the foot and heel being in contact with the ground at the same time.  And Glow seems to be thinking a lot about his body position and foot placement, so his mirroring ability and hand placement are suffering.

Wow.....well done.  

• 7 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

•  
  • So basically, teams have identified Glow is our weakest link and are exploiting him.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Then Smith becomes the “weak link”.  With that said I expect the Colts to use that money to start signing guys like AC and TY.  Ballard just doesn’t go after big name free agents and they just extended Glow last year so I think he’s the guy baring injury for the time being.

Smith is quietly a top 10 RT. If you put stock into PFF grades, his overall grade is the 7th best among RT’s. He’s not a weak link in the slightest. Even if we got Scherff, every player on the line would be top 10 at their position.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Glow is the weak point on the line and teams attack him.  He holds his own on most plays which is what you can ask for. He’s replaceable if an upgrade comes along but plays well enough you don’t have to go get someone.

In the Grigsy days we had it made.

There were so many "weak points" across our line that it confused the heck out of defenses.  Like a kid in a candy store, they couldnt decide "which one" they wanted (to attack).

18 hours ago, zibby43 said:

I don’t know about Glow, the eye test hasn’t looked grand but I am way more concerned about Kelly. He hasn’t looked world beater either with the simple eye test. I mean if Kelly was going to become some dominate center for us, he hasn’t lived up to that piece yet. If he can’t dominate his position with Q dominating next to him, then I’m not sure we have the long term center here. I wouldn’t be shocked to see 1 or 2 guard/center guys picked in the first 3 picks along with a DL guy, whether it’s a rusher or an anchor type. Braden has certainly held his own, we could do better but we could certainly do a whole lot worse out there. I’m not sure grabbing another RT and sliding him inside to relearn that spot for next year is the real answer either as many have called for him to do. At this time, Smith is either our RT or he is a back up type guy moving forward and bounces around the league. That’s my take anyways. Glow could stand an upgrade but like I said, my bigger worry is Kelly not dominating his position at center. 

16 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Fair enough assessment. 

57 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I don’t know about Glow, the eye test hasn’t looked grand but I am way more concerned about Kelly. He hasn’t looked world beater either with the simple eye test. I mean if Kelly was going to become some dominate center for us, he hasn’t lived up to that piece yet. If he can’t dominate his position with Q dominating next to him, then I’m not sure we have the long term center here. I wouldn’t be shocked to see 1 or 2 guard/center guys picked in the first 3 picks along with a DL guy, whether it’s a rusher or an anchor type. Braden has certainly held his own, we could do better but we could certainly do a whole lot worse out there. I’m not sure grabbing another RT and sliding him inside to relearn that spot for next year is the real answer either as many have called for him to do. At this time, Smith is either our RT or he is a back up type guy moving forward and bounces around the league. That’s my take anyways. Glow could stand an upgrade but like I said, my bigger worry is Kelly not dominating his position at center. 

We have a top 5 line in the NFL but you think we need to upgrade 3/5 starters?  Makes sense.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don't mind Glow but if the Redskins are having a bit of a reboot I wouldn't mind getting Scherff before the trade deadline.

I don't know what his recent play I'd like but he used to play with the same sort of nasty and donination that Nelson is known for.

Unless we can get that sort of player then I'm pretty happy with what we have on the line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

Kelly's only issue has been his health.  If he's healthy, hes top 10 in the league. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If Mewhort wasn't plagued by injuries that would be Mewhort in that spot.  I like Glowinski quite a bit though.  I think he's got more of a nasty streak than Mewhort did.  Mewhort working next to Braden Smith would have been a cool thing to see though. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ReMeDy said:
  •  
  •  
  • So basically, teams have identified Glow is our weakest link and are exploiting him.

While Glow does seem to be the weak link along the line, I don't think it's so much as teams trying to exploit him but more teams trying to avoid Q.

When I coached I had a kid on my 5th grade team, he was 5'6, 200lbs and moved very well.  One of the few kids I've coached over the years that had, maybe not NFL talent but Div I talent.  he played left guard and DT for us.  One team we played tried putting 3 defenders over him hoping to overwhelm him but it didn't work, we ran away from him.  The team that had the best philosophy was the team that had no one directly over him but had two LBers covering his area.  This did two things... it forced the kid to pick a LB and chase and it also left the other LB free to come in behind the guard and make the play.  it also tired him out faster so he was not as effective on the defensive side.  They also kept a guy over the center, the other guard and both tackles, so we could not pull a guard or have the LT go out and get the other LB.

NFL teams seem to be doing a lot of that with Nelson which gives the other lineman more one one match ups and less help.

13 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Smith is quietly a top 10 RT. If you put stock into PFF grades, his overall grade is the 7th best among RT’s. He’s not a weak link in the slightest. Even if we got Scherff, every player on the line would be top 10 at their position.

That’s why I put it quotation marks.  If the Colts added another high ranked guard then. Smith would be the “weak link” of the five guys they have.  That doesn’t make him a real weak link.  It’s like when the 49ers had Montana and Young only one could start.  It didn’t make Steve Young any less of a QB.  If you have five guys even if they are all great someone has to be the worst of that five guys, again it doesn’t make them bad.  In other words it would be a very good thing for the Colts.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, zibby43 said:

I think too a point it has affected the whole line.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s why I put it quotation marks.  If the Colts added another high ranked guard then. Smith would be the “weak link” of the five guys they have.  That doesn’t make him a real weak link.  It’s like when the 49ers had Montana and Young only one could start.  It didn’t make Steve Young any less of a QB.  If you have five guys even if they are all great someone has to be the worst of that five guys, again it doesn’t make them bad.  In other words it would be a very good thing for the Colts.

Ah okay. I misinterpreted your previous post then. My mistake. But yeah there’s nothing wrong with taking something thats already good in the Colts OL, and making it great.

Against the Texans, I counted him as being beat on 6 of 25 run plays (24%) and against the pass getting beat 15/44 plays (34%). That’s a quarter to a third of our offense of him getting beat leading to a loss or hurried pass or sack.

Even his "successful" plays are where he was included on a double team, or the pass was gone quick where he didn’t have time to get beat.

On pass plays, he got beat repeatedly on swim moves, or bull rushed, held, or didn’t pick up the stunt.
On run plays he was run over, didn’t hold the block, held, or completely whiffed on the second level block on a LB (where there was no DL in front of him).

It was a horrific game if you just watch his plays.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GOLFoholic said:

Against the Texans, I counted him as being beat on 6 of 25 run plays (24%) and against the pass getting beat 15/44 plays (34%). That’s a quarter to a third of our offense of him getting beat leading to a loss or hurried pass or sack.

Even his "successful" plays are where he was included on a double team, or the pass was gone quick where he didn’t have time to get beat.

On pass plays, he got beat repeatedly on swim moves, or bull rushed, held, or didn’t pick up the stunt.
On run plays he was run over, didn’t hold the block, held, or completely whiffed on the second level block on a LB (where there was no DL in front of him).

It was a horrific game if you just watch his plays.

Thanks for the detailed response.  Exactly the type of analysis I was looking for.

I thought I caught a few of the moments you described live when I was watching the game, which led to my looking up Glowinski's season grade and initiating this topic.

If he regains last year's form at some point, the line as a whole has room to make another step forward. 

In the meantime, Big Q and AC are putting in work.  2 of the highest-rated OL in the league at their respective positions through 7 weeks. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/23/2019 at 11:57 PM, indyagent17 said:

I still see Ballard going after another guard in the draft

That’s a safe bet.  Also a D lineman.  That’s Ballards MO, build the line on both sides of the ball.  Protect our QB and put pressure on theirs. 

It’s so easy even a CaveGrigson could do it.