Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We are getting healthy

Restinpeacesweetchloe

1 minute ago, The Peytonator said:

Also I don’t want Campbell or Funchess dipping in to Pascal’s snaps. That man has earned every bit of the #2 WR snaps. I guess they’ll probably take Cain’s snaps because he’s pretty much just been a body out there. 

Yep it will be Cain. Zach has earned it. Zach though has been running the same routes we will see with DF.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, twfish said:

I am more excited about the return of Hooker. We get to see how good Willis and Hooker are together finally

I remember once upon a time, when both Geathers and Hooker were hurt, and they were both returning to the game, how excited I was.  I hope it's like that, except this time with Hooker and Willis.

• Like 1

For all the naysayers who said Ballard "hasn't done enough" to lengthen/deepen this roster should be ashamed of themselves right now.

4-2 (though a couple kicks away from 5-1), Currently alone atop the Division sans one Andrew Luck at all......The best deep safety in football currently missing games......The best OLB in the game missing 3 consecutive games.....and the highest rated slot corner from last year missing time as well.....no legit number 2 WR after Funchess went down......Ebron was a shell of himself from last year (until last weekend).....Wilson seemingly taking a step back at CB......Hunt taking a step back at DT.........and Turay out for the season now as well and missing the last game....

Enter in:

Jacoby Brissett

Rock Ya-Sin

Khari Willis

Bobby Okereke

George Odum

Zach Pascal

Ben Banogu

Grover Stewart

Justin Houston

The Entire Offensive Line

Marlon Mack

Ballards draft picks contribute up and down the roster. Ballard hits on most free agents. Ballard constantly churns the bottom of the roster and finds guys like Muhammad, Glowinski, Moore II and Desir and turns them into solid contributors.

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Ballards draft picks contribute up and down the roster. Ballard hits on most free agents. Ballard constantly churns the bottom of the roster and finds guys like Muhammad, Glowinski, Moore II and Desir and turns them into solid contributors. (Shortened)

Well said. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Peytonator said:

Also I don’t want Campbell or Funchess dipping in to Pascal’s snaps. That man has earned every bit of the #2 WR snaps. I guess they’ll probably take Cain’s snaps because he’s pretty much just been a body out there. 

Funchess and Pascal don't play the same position so it's moot.  Funchess is an in-traffic receiver who does his best work against man coverage, Pascal is a set piece reciever who plays very well in design plays against zone.  The two can easily coexist.

1 hour ago, The Peytonator said:

I want Funchess getting as many snaps as possible. 

He had the best rapport with Brissett of any of the WRs.  They had the back-shoulder throw down.  When Funchess gets back, Hilton, Funchess, and Pascal deserve the 11 personnel snaps. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yep it will be Cain. Zach has earned it. Zach though has been running the same routes we will see with DF.

Funch is the much bigger threat to Pascal's snaps than Cain IMO. Pascal and Funch are "possession" WRs, while Cain has the the highest average target distance of all of our WRs. And it's not like Cain isn't getting open. He's simply running deeper routes (which are likely farther down in terms reads / progression) and not getting the targets. I'm sure Cain's snaps will go down a bit when Funch returns, but it's not like they're going to have Pascal and/or Funch running the deep outs. 

IMO, if Cain wasn't getting open, or not doing what is asked of him, he wouldn't have gotten 42% of the snap counts in the last 5 games. Could be simply he's a decoy to stretch the D at this point, until JB is more comfortable going deeper. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Funchess and Pascal don't play the same position so it's moot.  Funchess is an in-traffic receiver who does his best work against man coverage, Pascal is a set piece reciever who plays very well in design plays against zone.  The two can easily coexist.

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Pascal and Funch are "possession" WRs, while Cain has the the highest average target distance of all of our WRs.

I remember creating a thread about labeling WRs for this specific reason.

It's not like it used to be with Harrison, Wayne, and Stokley lining up in pretty much the same spots every play.  You can't just label guys as WR1, WR2, WR3, etc. anymore.

There's slot guys, outside guys, possession guys, man-beaters, zone-beaters, and they line up all over the place nowadays, especially with creative play-callers like Reich.  It's enough to make your head spin!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Anybody remember exactly what Campbell's abdomen surgery was for?  Hernia? 

Also, this really speaks to our depth and Ballard's skill.  It should also be a reminder that we shouldn't always be looking to trade away players at deep positions.  Couple injuries here and there and you'll be thin pretty quick. 

8 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

They do both play X though, and both shift to slot at least 25% of their snaps. Both are possession type WRs. Neither is going to blow the top off the D. In other words, the only time you'll see them on the field together is when one shifts to slot and both play on downs with possession type play calls.

However you want to classify them, they are running a lot of the same routes, and are more possession type WRs. In contrast, Cain is playing very little slot and is going downfield (highest average target distance) more than anyone. I don't see Reich decreasing routes down field (even though rarely targeted).

3 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

Not Campbell...he is too much of a threat to not have on the field.

Cain is probably the one who will lose snaps going forward.

13 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I get that but will they value keeping a guy like Milligan or Taylor active for the games over a sixth WR who isn’t showing anything. Somebody will be cut when DF comes back and someone who has contributed will end up being inactive.

When Hooker gets back, he'll take over the lions share of FS snaps, and the other guys will go back to playing "in-position" which means Willis and Geathers will get the majority if not all the snaps at SS. And if Moore is back and Desir is good to go, we don't need 6 CBs dressing. 

Some guys will bounce back and forth in terms of dressing or not dressing  (game day active/inactive) depending on injuries and game plan, but the only guy that's going to get bounced from the 53 is Dulin. There's also a legitimate argument to be made that JB is a good part of the issue when it comes to Cain's lack of production. 

50 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Not Campbell...he is too much of a threat to not have on the field.

Cain is probably the one who will lose snaps going forward.

I'd bet that Pascal will lose more snaps than anyone when Funch gets back, and Rogers will lose snaps when Campbell comes back. Everyone not named TY will likely see some sort of snap count reduction when either get back. 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I also just thought of something. Pascals snaps might not go down because he is such a great blocker on run plays. His targets might go down though.

They need to hit Campbell  on some slant plays. Hilton, pascal, Campbell,  and funchess  can all be on the field at once.