Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agent Lb Joe Mays To Visit Saints And Colts (Merged)

CashMoney

Stiff as a board. Lacks much agility. A bit undersized. Put him in the middle, tell him to attack, he's a decent player. I was a fan of his as a late round prospect, but not for the Cover 2. He's a fine and experienced 3-4 player, but not someone who you're going to go gaga over.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/15/free-agent-joe-mays-visiting-saints-then-colts/

According to Mike Klis of the Denver Post, Mays is scheduled to visit the Colts next. That is, if the Saints let him get out of town.

Mays is a stocky 5-foot-11, 246-pound inside linebacker. He’s a run stuffer. Both Indianapolis and New Orleans struggled to stop the run last season.

Why do we have a video of him playing preseason from like 3 years ago!!! lol Not going to help us. It didnt show him shedding blockers and making a tackle....or making a play in the backfield lol. Anyways he played for Denver last year..3rd on the team in tackles no sacks no ints and no forced fumbles. Hmm a small linebacker in a 3-4....something doesn't add up. Obviously we need depth and if we get a good deal but Denver has 50 million in cap space...if they are letting him go what does that say?? He isn't a difference maker.

Why do we have a video of him playing preseason from like 3 years ago!!! lol Not going to help us. It didnt show him shedding blockers and making a tackle....or making a play in the backfield lol. Anyways he played for Denver last year..3rd on the team in tackles no sacks no ints and no forced fumbles. Hmm a small linebacker in a 3-4....something doesn't add up. Obviously we need depth and if we get a good deal but Denver has 50 million in cap space...if they are letting him go what does that say?? He isn't a difference maker.

How, exactly, is 5-11 246 "small"?

How, exactly, is 5-11 246 "small"?

Sorry I ment to say short. He isn't that tall to see over line man and into the backfield or running with big TEs or shutting down passing lanes over the middle and not really a guy I necessarily want blitzing...couple that with his poor pass coverage skills I will pass. Again...Philly let him go and they have been looking for linebackers the last few years...Denver has over 50 million dollars and didn't resign him....I am going to go out on a limb and say that he probably isn't our answer but if affordable we definately need special teamers and always can use depth for injuries. I just don't see him as an upgrade.

i agree with 21issuperman. if we can, we might as well bring guys like this in just to see how he does in the offseason. if he is an experienced 3-4 linebacker then he will provide good experience for our other linebackers that are going to have to convert. i thought it wouldve been cool is Arians contacted Farrior to show our guys how to do it right but obviously there is no way that would happen lol.

Joe Mays is a thumper who has experience in a 3-4 defense.............if he is signed I see nothing but upside due to the knowledge of the defense even if he isn't as talented as Conner or Angerer. Pluse, who wouldn't like to see him jack a few people up on special teams!??!

Again, it's another mid-level free agent that will be brought in for competition and depth...........you don't build a roster with superstars at every position! You build it with role players with a sprinkling of superstars!

I like him. Need to be careful Tom Z. - S has been described as a good run stopper but struggles in pass coverage. If Mays is not very good in pass coverage we need to make sure we have cover guys (LB and S) to cover the slack in pass coverage from these guys.

I like him. Need to be careful Tom Z. - S has been described as a good run stopper but struggles in pass coverage. If Mays is not very good in pass coverage we need to make sure we have cover guys (LB and S) to cover the slack in pass coverage from these guys.

I watched Tom Z play in college.............he will be solid as our starting strong safety! Let's not forget that he was an All American and was productive his entire college career AND he played the same position as one Ed Reed - in the talk as one of the best safety's ever in the NFL! If anything, he SHOULD have learned a lot and now he has an opportunity to put it on the field!