Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The amazing saga of Belichick backup QB's

John Hammonds

A trip backwards through the backup QB's drafted by Bill Belichick.  You think Jarrett Stidham has some hope he'll be the next diamond in the rough?

2019 - D4  Jarrett Stidham, Auburn

0 games started

2-4 (50%) 14 yds, 0 TD, 1INT

2018 - D7  Danny Etling, LSU

0 games started

no stats

2016 - D3  Jacoby Brissett, NC State

Traded to Colts

23 games started, 9-14 record

446-734 (60%) 4,888 yds, 27 TD, 10 INT, 87.1 QB rating

2014 - D2  Jimmy Garappolo, Eastern Illinois

Traded to 49'ers

16 games started, 14-2 record

350-528 (66.3%)  4,282 yds, 24 TD, 14 INT, 95.2 QB rating

2011 - D3  Ryan Mallett, Arkansas

Traded to Texans and Ravens

8 games started, 3-5 record

190-345 (55.1%)  1,835 yds, 9 TD, 10 INT, 66.8 QB rating

2010 - D7  Zach Robinson, Oklahoma St

0 games started

no stats

2008 - D3  Kevin O'Connell, San Diego St.

0 games started

4-6 (66.7%)  23 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT

2005 - D7  Matt Cassel, USC

Traded to Chiefs, Vikings, Bills, Cowboys, Titans, Lions

81 games started, 36-45 record

1,578-2,683 (58.8%)  17,508 yds, 104 TD, 82 INT, 78.5 QB rating

2003 - D6  Cliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech

0 games started

1-2 (50%)  17 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT

2002 - D4  Rohan Davey, LSU

0 games started

8-19 (42.1%)  88 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT

2000 - D6  Tom Brady, Michigan  (Drew Bledsoe was starting QB in his 7th year)

273 games started, 213-60 record

6,153-9,603 (64.1%)  72,257 yds, 527 TD, 174 INT

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Based on all reports if Belichick had his way one of those guys would be his starter now and Tom Brady would have been traded.  

No one knows except BB himself.  My gut tells me both guys would not be on the team if that was the case.  BB is developing JG in SF.  When he is ready, the teams will trade QBs.  Tom finishes up in front of a home crowd and JG ascends the throne.

Bill has the right idea. Just play the game. I haven’t heard him talk offense in his life more than wannabe quarterback gurus like Bill O’Brien, Brad Childress, etc have in an interview about how they’re developing this guy or molding this guy or whatever. Then it doesn’t work and it’s this or that guy’s fault. 

8 minutes ago, wizwor said:

No one knows except BB himself.  My gut tells me both guys would not be on the team if that was the case.  BB is developing JG in SF.  When he is ready, the teams will trade QBs.  Tom finishes up in front of a home crowd and JG ascends the throne.

So the 49ers are going to trade Jimmy Garoppolo, who:

1) they signed to a big contract

2) has a 12-2 record with them so far

3) is currently 27 years old

...in exchange for a 40-something year old Brady at the end of his career?  Why would they trade away a winning and much younger QB in exchange for an older guy at the tail end of his career?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

So the 49ers are going to trade Jimmy Garoppolo, who:

1) they signed to a big contract

2) has a 12-2 record with them so far

3) is currently 27 years old

...in exchange for a 40-something year old Brady at the end of his career?  Why would they trade away a winning and much younger QB in exchange for an older guy at the tail end of his career?

Who knows.  There'd picks -- maybe a Brady Successor.  Maybe a HC.  For all we know, this was all part of a handshake deal that sent JG to the Left Coast.  

- BB gets to coach a guy he wanted to coach

- TB gets to play in front of a 'home' crowd

- Other GOAT probably around all the time for promotions

- Money maker for SF, NE, the NFL, and TB12

It's just speculation -- which is supposed to be fun.  

I think everything depends on this season.  If TB12 goes undefeated, wins the championship, and comes away with an MVP (which the NFL would LOVE to give him), I don't know how he does not go out on top.  If they win another SB, I think there is a good chance, he hangs them up.  If they come up short -- especially if he is not at fault and given he is a FA, anything could happen.

For the NFL, though, TB12 beating JG in the SB then switching teams sets up the rematch everyone wants to see -- is it the Coach or the QB?

It's all crazy talk.  The Pats will go undefeated this year and TB12 will ride off into the sunset. 

22 hours ago, wizwor said:

Who knows.  There'd picks -- maybe a Brady Successor.  Maybe a HC.  For all we know, this was all part of a handshake deal that sent JG to the Left Coast.  

- BB gets to coach a guy he wanted to coach

- TB gets to play in front of a 'home' crowd

- Other GOAT probably around all the time for promotions

- Money maker for SF, NE, the NFL, and TB12

It's just speculation -- which is supposed to be fun.  

I think everything depends on this season.  If TB12 goes undefeated, wins the championship, and comes away with an MVP (which the NFL would LOVE to give him), I don't know how he does not go out on top.  If they win another SB, I think there is a good chance, he hangs them up.  If they come up short -- especially if he is not at fault and given he is a FA, anything could happen.

For the NFL, though, TB12 beating JG in the SB then switching teams sets up the rematch everyone wants to see -- is it the Coach or the QB?

It's all crazy talk.  The Pats will go undefeated this year and TB12 will ride off into the sunset. 

Suggesting even the slightest possibility that trade could happen is ridiculous.  

On SNF they showed the records of coaches in games with backup QBs. Andy Reid was in a distant 4th place behind Shula, Landry annnnnnnd Bill. I guess the quarterback won all those games for those guys too. Granted Brady’s first season counts but those coaches weren’t being carried by single players get real homers.

• Like 1