Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Empty Seats at Lucas Oil?


TrueBlue4ever

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'll come soon.  There's still some fans thinking this is a lost season because of the nonsense spewed out of ESPN at the start of the year.  Once they realize that we're definitely contenders this year they'll fill the barn, of that I have no doubt.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, we were always gonna deal with some empty seats after Luck retired. Granted, they should start filling back out soon.

The fans that have been there have been nice and loud though. Yesterday and the Falcons game come to mind. Wasn't much to cheer about during the Raiders game though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

League-wide, it looks like to me.  The NFL may have peaked, and priced itself out of many people's disposable income.  It's hard for some to justify paying so much money for tickets, etc.,  so that players can be paid so very well for what amounts (thanks to the CBA) to not much more than part-time commitment.  JMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Just wondering if those tickets are available outside pre-game?

I was at the Raiders game.  Short walk across the street from where we parked.  Only saw one person asking for tickets.  There was a very large Raiders presence at that game.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So there was a scene on tv yesterday during the last Houston possession, there was a kid who was probably 8 years old. 4 seats empty behind him, and in front of him, but he was screaming at the top of his lungs to support our D! 

They deserve the 12th man, woman and child to come out and cheer for this team. 

Go Blue!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was there like I always am and it always bothers me there so many empty seats. It's a shame we have about 55,000 truly faithful fans and the rest are fair weather fans. Now's a good time to buy season tickets and support this team all the way

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

The NFL may have peaked, and priced itself out of many people's disposable income. 

 

I don't think they have peaked, per se. There is a ton of revenue to be had, and the proper moves continue to be made to continue to see growth in the league. They dominated television last year and were showing 5 % increase in tv ratings through the first 4 weeks this season. This is with a lot of people leaving cable and streaming which is changing everything... the NFL is changing right along with it and still dominating where the money is made.

 

However, I do agree with the latter part of this statement. Most people cannot afford to go to multiple games in this league. The demand is still somewhat there, at least to near capacity stadiums, so they aren't discounting the supply. I know certain seatings, such as the club, is often 2 year contracts and can be in excess of $300 a ticket. That's expensive...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gspdx said:

In other words - need to wait for the fair weather fans to come back.  

My guess is there are a few things in play. 
 

1. this place supported Manning

2. pacers playing well and this is still considered basketball state ( I can’t stand it and I’ve always lived in Indiana)

3. Colts have been a drama fest since after the 2nd to 3rd year of Lucks entering. 
4. Luck, the PR handling of the “bone issue” and then the abrupt retirement of Luck and handing JB the franchise.
 

Nobody knows what they are getting with this team. fans had a great attachment with Manning. They were fine with Luck but it’s never been able to reach the Manning level, probably because manning is like a politician and says the right stuff and polished. Luck has always seemed shy and awkward for the face of a franchise. He just wanted to play the game, none of the other stuff that came along with it. JB is a back up QB who was trust into the starting spot. While he may do us fine, is he enough to show he is the face of the franchise and get fans to show up to see him make spectacular plays? I don’t think he is but I may underestimate that aspect. Doesn’t mean he is bad but is he special to a large fan base or allow the team to find a new identity? Idk

 

the other part is that basketball team and it absorbing people in a smaller market city. Maybe it can absorb fans into both sports but they have to do well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

League-wide, it looks like to me.  The NFL may have peaked, and priced itself out of many people's disposable income.  It's hard for some to justify paying so much money for tickets, etc.,  so that players can be paid so very well for what amounts (thanks to the CBA) to not much more than part-time commitment.  JMO.

Good teams are selling out. Teams like the Bengals Bucs and Redskins are not close. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

It'll come soon.  There's still some fans thinking this is a lost season because of the nonsense spewed out of ESPN at the start of the year.  Once they realize that we're definitely contenders this year they'll fill the barn, of that I have no doubt.

We will be contenders all right, hopefully we even get past the divisional.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do think the final years of the previous regime turned a lot of fans off...as did Luck's injury situation and eventual retirement. It's been trending this way for a while though...the secondary market for Colts tickets (mainly the cheaper seats) has been pretty weak for several years...even before Luck's injury. Those 600 level seats are just not in great demand.

 

Also, intradivisional games (HOU, TEN, JAC) never seem to be as packed as other games. Those are typically the games I go to each year because the tickets are cheaper and I can get really good ones.

 

I don't know if it's an NFL-wide issue...I went to the CLE/SEA game a couple weeks ago...and it was packed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

At the end of the day, it comes down to the product on the field. Lucas Oil as we all know delivers an over the top stadium experience. I went to The Jags/Saints game during our bye week and it was a 2/3rds full and had no energy.

Ballard and team are building a franchise to sustain excellence. I hope the fans do come back in masses, yes the current Colts team is unlike we have ever had and we are all getting used to this style of football. JMV brought it up on his show yesterday about the empty seats, we need the electric atmosphere our fans create. Go Blue!

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, gspdx said:

In other words - need to wait for the fair weather fans to come back.  


I remember being at a tailgate before the start of a Colts games several years back. Anyways, a man and his kid come up and his says hello, and that he’s here to watch Manning. I reply, I’m a Colts fan and walk away. 
 

There were a lot of those kind during the Peyton era, but mostly gone.

 

Good riddance!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MPStack said:


I remember being at a tailgate before the start of a Colts games several years back. Anyways, a man and his kid come up and his says hello, and that he’s here to watch Manning. I reply, I’m a Colts fan and walk away. 
 

There were a lot of those kind during the Peyton era, but mostly gone.

 

Good riddance!

 

I never go to any games so I don't have much room to talk!  But 2200 miles is long way to go for a football game.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, gspdx said:

 

I never go to any games so I don't have much room to talk!  But 2200 miles is long way to go for a football game.

 

I only live 15 minutes away from the stadium and never go to games anymore so I can't really talk either. I have put my time in though, from 1984 since the team moved here up through 2013 I have been to around 50 games or so. I just enjoy watching games at home now a lot where I can relax as I am older now. I have everything I need at home, big screen, cheap beer, a clean bathroom, don't have to deal with crowds haha . I applaud the people that go to games though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I only live 15 minutes away from the stadium and never go to games anymore so I can't really talk either. I have put my time in though, from 1984 since the team moved here up through 2013 I have been to around 50 games or so. I just enjoy watching games at home now a lot where I can relax as I am older now. I have everything I need at home, big screen, cheap beer, a clean bathroom, don't have to deal with crowds haha . I applaud the people that go to games though.

The 45 minute run to the bathroom is the worst.    I go to a couple games a year,   let my season tickets go before peyton retired

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The 45 minute run to the bathroom is the worst.    I go to a couple games a year,   let my season tickets go before peyton retired

Yeah I can buy a 6 pack of Bud Light beer for what 1 beer cost at the game. Plus you are right about the bathroom trips. When you are at home, no worries there. During the whole Peyton era (1998-2011) I would always go to 2 or 3 games a year. I went to a few games when the team 1st moved here and to see Dickerson play and a few Harbaugh games as well. I haven't attended a game since the 2013 season, what is funny is it was a Houston game where we stomped them with Luck 25-3.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I only live 15 minutes away from the stadium and never go to games anymore so I can't really talk either. I have put my time in though, from 1984 since the team moved here up through 2013 I have been to around 50 games or so. I just enjoy watching games at home now a lot where I can relax as I am older now. I have everything I need at home, big screen, cheap beer, a clean bathroom, don't have to deal with crowds haha . I applaud the people that go to games though.

 

There is a lot of merit to this, especially with fans that are getting older. I'm relatively young and have the stamina to drive several hours both ways to go and still find time to do the necessary tasks needed for a prepared long work week. But for my parents, who are big fans, it's getting tougher each year. It makes for a long day regardless of the kickoff time. I love the night games, what few there generally are, but getting home at 1 in the morning and back up by 6 is tough for anyone. Today's technology and the tv game experience is better than ever. There's a lot to be said about this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I can buy a 6 pack of Bud Light beer for what 1 beer cost at the game. Plus you are right about the bathroom trips. When you are at home, no worries there. During the whole Peyton era (1998-2011) I would always go to 2 or 3 games a year. I went to a few games when the team 1st moved here and to see Dickerson play and a few Harbaugh games as well. I haven't attended a game since the 2013 season, what is funny is it was a Houston game where we stomped them with Luck 25-3.

We would tailgate by the south entrance every week.  Drink too much and have to go to the bathroom a few times.   Miss half the game

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

 

There is a lot of merit to this, especially with fans that are getting older. I'm relatively young and have the stamina to drive several hours both ways to go and still find time to do the necessary tasks needed for a prepared long work week. But, my parents, who are big fans, it's getting tougher each year. It makes for a long day regardless of the kickoff time. I love the night games, what few there generally are, but getting home at 1 in the morning and back up by 6 is tough for anyone. Today's technology and the tv game experience is better than ever. There's a lot to be said about this. 

Yeah I am just getting older. I used to love the atmosphere of a game, especially when Peyton was here. Nothing like it really. 

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

We would tailgate by the south entrance every week.  Drink too much and have to go to the bathroom a few times.   Miss half the game

I hear ya lmao . 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a combination of a few things:

 

1. It’s just too expensive and honesty incovenient when I can watch with my friends on my 70” tv. We usually “tailgate” at each other’s houses and the kids can come. Coming from West Lafayette it is 6-8hr venture that will end up cost close to $500.  I can take the family out of town for the weekend for close to the same. 

 

2. This team is exceeding expectations but it was looking pretty bleak at the beginning of the season. I know a lot of us were talking about this season being a train wreck when expectations were so high in the off-season. 

 

3. This team has no identity or house hold names. Yes us that get on the forum can name the majority of the players on the roster but most fans can not. Star players fill seats. This is a deep team and outside Hilton, not a lot of star power.  Sad but it’s reality.

 

4. Media coverage is ruining football.  Everything turns into some sort of mini controversy and is repeated over and over and over and over until something else happens.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...