Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
CR91

Reich's offense changing week in and week out

Recommended Posts

Pounded the soul out of the chiefs one week and an aerial assault the next. An ever changing offense taken advantage of the team's weaknesses. So simple and yet its brilliant and hard to stop. With the issues this team has at times, QB is the least of our worries

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m In love with this team and our approach to playing football. I don’t think anyone wants to play us. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The league is fully ready to ride the Watson bandwagon but until he can beat us in big games, it won’t be completely validated. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah as of now we're a lite version of the patriots. Once we get some more talent through the draft and our young studs hit their prime, we'll be unstoppable.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

Yeah as of now we're a lite version of the patriots. Once we get some more talent through the draft and our young studs hit their prime, we'll be unstoppable.

Exactly we have a system QB played behind another system QB and good offensive coach with great GM. Built the team thru draft, and built the monster and keep chopping woods haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Team is definitely trying to build something dynastic.  The scary thing (for the rest of the league) is it's beginning to look like we might have the minds and the muscle to accomplish it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris Ballard's vision is becoming more and more clear with every game... So much young talent on this team. They figured out how to win early, and are rolling now. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Reich's coaching when it involves game planning for each opponent and attacking their weaknesses.  But during today's games his play calling and clock management at the end almost cost us the game.  His penchant for going for it on 4th down at an unfavorable field position and distance early was almost a catastrophe.  Fortunately O'Brien is not a good coach and his clock management  at the end was worse wasting a timeout on a deliberate safety.  Not to mention all of the ridiculous offensive penalties they committed.  We should have won the game easily but coaches aggressiveness at the end kept giving the ball back to Houston.  A great play by Leonard at the end saved him from a lot of second guessing IMO. 

  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad we have Reich, he understands today's NFL very well.

 

We're lucky to have him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I like Reich's coaching when it involves game planning for each opponent and attacking their weaknesses.  But during today's games his play calling and clock management at the end almost cost us the game.  His penchant for going for it on 4th down at an unfavorable field position and distance early was almost a catastrophe.  Fortunately O'Brien is not a good coach and his clock management  at the end was worse wasting a timeout on a deliberate safety.  Not to mention all of the ridiculous offensive penalties they committed.  We should have won the game easily but coaches aggressiveness at the end kept giving the ball back to Houston.  A great play by Leonard at the end saved him from a lot of second guessing IMO. 

I agree with some things you said. That 4th and 1 call on our side of the field wasn't  necessary  because before that point they hadn't  done much against  us. Still  happy  we won.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The impressive thing is we are still not running on full cylinders yet.  Wait until Funchess gets back and we finally figure out the best way to get Cain and Campbell involved in the game plans.  The offense is going to really be hard to stop. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, krunk said:

The impressive thing is we are still not running on full cylinders yet.  Wait until Funchess gets back and we finally figure out the best way to get Cain and Campbell involved in the game plans.  The offense is going to really be hard to stop. 

Pretty much correct here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, IinD said:

I'm glad we have Reich, he understands today's NFL very well.

 

We're lucky to have him 

He said “You have 4 downs for a reason” Sometimes it works and then it doesn’t. Glad he’s our coach no matter what!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Pretty much correct here.

Yeah really think about it.  The Colts are likely going to be one of those teams that get stronger and stronger offensively as the year goes on and people are going to be like "Where in the hell did all those weapons come from?"  I mean we are starting to have guys like Zach Pascal go off and have TY Hilton type days and he's 4th or 5th string WR.  Imagine when all the horses start kicking!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, krunk said:

Yeah really think about it.  The Colts are likely going to be one of those teams that get stronger and stronger offensively and people are going to be like "Where in the hell did all those weapons come from?"  I mean we are starting to have guys like Zach Pascal go off and have TY Hilton type days and he's 4th or 5th string WR.  Imagine when all the horses start kicking!

Remember to humble yourself. We can’t expect a win each week. It was a sloppy game on our part as well. We could’ve easily lost that game when the score was 21-16.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Remember to humble yourself. We can’t expect a win each week. It was a sloppy game on our part as well. We could’ve easily lost that game when the score was 21-16.

What does that have to do with anticipating the improvement of offense as we move along and get some guys back?  Doesn't guarantee any wins.  I think you're being too modest. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, krunk said:

What does that have to do with anticipating the improvement of offense as we move along and get some guys back?  Doesn't guarantee any wins.  I think you're being too modest. 

Again it was gloom and doom after we lost the the Raiders. I’m with you on see improvement. However we still need to humble ourselves as fans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I like Reich's coaching when it involves game planning for each opponent and attacking their weaknesses.  But during today's games his play calling and clock management at the end almost cost us the game.  His penchant for going for it on 4th down at an unfavorable field position and distance early was almost a catastrophe.  Fortunately O'Brien is not a good coach and his clock management  at the end was worse wasting a timeout on a deliberate safety.  Not to mention all of the ridiculous offensive penalties they committed.  We should have won the game easily but coaches aggressiveness at the end kept giving the ball back to Houston.  A great play by Leonard at the end saved him from a lot of second guessing IMO. 


I thought the same thing, but I think O’Brien’s strategy worked out.  It didn’t really cost them.

 

I was also totally frustrated we didn’t run the ball those last drives. The D didn’t play great, but they were good enough and bailed us out at the end.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This team is further along than I imagined.  I had been saying 2020 was the year we would make a move, but it is very possible they could do it this year.  

 

I would have NEVER guessed it would be with Brissett at QB though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Smonroe said:


I thought the same thing, but I think O’Brien’s strategy worked out.  It didn’t really cost them.

 

I was also totally frustrated we didn’t run the ball those last drives. The D didn’t play great, but they were good enough and bailed us out at the end.  

I was really impressed with Roc Ya- Sin. I know he gave up a long pass play and a first down, but those were perfect passes. He was right there and he's really sticky on man coverage.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Smonroe said:


I thought the same thing, but I think O’Brien’s strategy worked out.  It didn’t really cost them.

 

I was also totally frustrated we didn’t run the ball those last drives. The D didn’t play great, but they were good enough and bailed us out at the end.  

We didn' run the ball because running the ball wasn't getting anywhere.  The ball went to Brissett because Brissett had a better chance to secure first downs.

 

Ultimately when neither the pass nor the rush is getting you first downs there's only so much you can ask of the head coach.  The Texans D locked the barn after the horse got out.  If they'd played that kind of D for a full 60, we probably don't win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Again it was gloom and doom after we lost the the Raiders. I’m with you on see improvement. However we still need to humble ourselves as fans. 

Why? 

 

It was only gloom and doom with the naysayers. 

 

How the hell are you ever gonna enjoy being a fan if you dont allow yourself to be excited? That's the whole point. If you cant be excited, how are you gonna enjoy the good times, like we have right now?

 

I say get too excited. Be "unrealistic". 

 

This team is a problem. They just finished their toughest stretch of the season 4-2 and in the lead for the division title. Looking at their schedule, I think they can get to 12 wins. They never even did that with Andrew Luck. I'm excited to the point of being delusional and I'm loving every minute of it. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, krunk said:

Yeah really think about it.  The Colts are likely going to be one of those teams that get stronger and stronger offensively as the year goes on and people are going to be like "Where in the hell did all those weapons come from?"  I mean we are starting to have guys like Zach Pascal go off and have TY Hilton type days and he's 4th or 5th string WR.  Imagine when all the horses start kicking!

Pascal is better than you give him credit. A young version of Inman with more upside. He’s become the safety valve every QB needs. Good for him. His future is very bright with the Colts. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoatBeard said:

Why? 

 

It was only gloom and doom with the naysayers. 

 

How the hell are you ever gonna enjoy being a fan if you dont allow yourself to be excited? That's the whole point. If you cant be excited, how are you gonna enjoy the good times, like we have right now?

 

I say get too excited. Be "unrealistic". 

 

This team is a problem. They just finished their toughest stretch of the season 4-2 and in the lead for the division title. Looking at their schedule, I think they can get to 12 wins. They never even did that with Andrew Luck. I'm excited to the point of being delusional and I'm loving every minute of it. 

No we need to be humble. I’m excited we won the game. However I’ll be truly excited if we make the trip to Florida 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Why? 

 

It was only gloom and doom with the naysayers. 

 

How the hell are you ever gonna enjoy being a fan if you dont allow yourself to be excited? That's the whole point. If you cant be excited, how are you gonna enjoy the good times, like we have right now?

 

I say get too excited. Be "unrealistic". 

 

This team is a problem. They just finished their toughest stretch of the season 4-2 and in the lead for the division title. Looking at their schedule, I think they can get to 12 wins. They never even did that with Andrew Luck. I'm excited to the point of being delusional and I'm loving every minute of it. 

This season now has 11-5 written all over it. The doubters and haters were wrong. After we smack Denver next week, we will be 5-2 :thmup:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, a06cc said:

No we need to be humble. I’m excited we won the game. However I’ll be truly excited if we make the trip to Florida 

Well then you need to go watch something else, sports arent for you.

 

I've been watching this stuff for over 30 years and my teams have won 1 title. I'm not gonna be miserable for 29 out of the next 30 years. I'm gonna enjoy every win.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This season now has 11-5 written all over it. The doubters and haters were wrong. After we smack Denver next week, we will be 5-2 :thmup:

 

Please dont say that. We were saying the same thing about the raiders:facepalm:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ability to win through the air after such a dominant ground performance was HUGE and so awesome to see. Reich deserves a ton of credit. 

 

Many of the crossing routes Jacoby hit today were WIDE open. Put that together with a defense that shut down the hottest red zone offense and we are going somewhere folks. :hat:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

Please dont say that. We were saying the same thing about the raiders:facepalm:

We got this haha . Assuming everyone is healthy. TY didn't play vs the Raiders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

We didn' run the ball because running the ball wasn't getting anywhere.  The ball went to Brissett because Brissett had a better chance to secure first downs.

 

Ultimately when neither the pass nor the rush is getting you first downs there's only so much you can ask of the head coach.  The Texans D locked the barn after the horse got out.  If they'd played that kind of D for a full 60, we probably don't win.


Yeah, I realize we weren’t getting anywhere running the ball. I was more concerned about running clock.  
 

I get Reich’s strategy, if they would have connected with one of those passes he could have run more clock.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

Well then you need to go watch something else, sports arent for you.

 

I've been watching this stuff for over 30 years and my teams have won 1 title. I'm not gonna be miserable for 29 out of the next 30 years. I'm gonna enjoy every win.

Miserable has nothing to do with being humble. I didn’t tell you to not enjoy this win. I said just remain humble that’s all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, a06cc said:

No we need to be humble. I’m excited we won the game. However I’ll be truly excited if we make the trip to Florida 

Done. The Colts will make at least 2 trips to Florida this year. Now be truly excited!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes his play calling was great for 3 1/2 quarters. 

 

Don't get me wrong......I'm not bashing Reich, as I am immensely thankful we got him instead of McDaniels. 

 

Those multiple 3 and out play calls in the 4th quarter were not good though. Couldn't run on them all day, and he tried to get cute and bounce it outside on a run or two (which is definitely not the strong suit of this O-Line). Plus throwing a 3 yard pass (that doesn't come out quick enough) when you need 6-7 yards isn't going to cut it in most situations. Gotta do better in those situations in order to get a first down and ice the game. 

 

Other than the last part of the 4th quarter, excellent play calling/execution. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 7:41 AM, Btown_Colt said:

Done. The Colts will make at least 2 trips to Florida this year. Now be truly excited!

3 times, but if we lose next week I want that same energy from you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 9:04 AM, lollygagger8 said:

Yes his play calling was great for 3 1/2 quarters. 

 

Don't get me wrong......I'm not bashing Reich, as I am immensely thankful we got him instead of McDaniels. 

 

Those multiple 3 and out play calls in the 4th quarter were not good though. Couldn't run on them all day, and he tried to get cute and bounce it outside on a run or two (which is definitely not the strong suit of this O-Line). Plus throwing a 3 yard pass (that doesn't come out quick enough) when you need 6-7 yards isn't going to cut it in most situations. Gotta do better in those situations in order to get a first down and ice the game. 

 

Other than the last part of the 4th quarter, excellent play calling/execution. 

Reich has to get better playing with a big lead. We had so many chances to take that 12 pt lead to 19. He did talk about he should of stayed more aggressive. I actually said during the game we played better with a 7 pt lead then a 12 pt lead. We need to learn to knock teams out.  Quit letting them hang on.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, a06cc said:

3 times, but if we lose next week I want that same energy from you. 

3 times? And I’m not sure exactly what energy you are talking about? I made a tongue in cheek comment....nothing more. I obviously knew what you meant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it’s worth....   yesterday (Monday) over on ESPN radio, Will Cain piled on the love for Frank Reich.

 

Said among head coaches, only BB and Sean Peyton are better.   Said guys like Reid and Harbaugh may be considered equal to Frank, but they’re not better.  
 

Cain added that he thinks some of the struggles for Carson Wentz may have to do with not having FR on his coaching staff. 
 

Said one of the ways you can judge a great coach is his ability to win in various ways.   We beat KC with the ground game one week, then beat Hou with the passing game the next.

 

You can agree or not with any of Cains points...   but either way, it’s nice to get a little love on a national level every once in a while.    It’s nice to know that some of the media are paying attention to us...

 

This won’t always be the case...  but it’s nice to enjoy while we can...   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Oh, that's what I fear, for sure.  But even if that's the case.... What's the long term solution?  Who starts at QB in whatever city they have to play in in 2030?  Jk.... slightly.... That damage won't be undone soon, or easily.... Surrounding talent won't fix his issues, just raise the floor a game or two.
    • Oh, the players already know that, regardless of who starts jn The present, past, future, they are well aware JB isn't a true #1 leader at the qb going forward.  Stop gap? Sure... If there's an endgame.
    • This list does not fit the narrative you are trying to put forward.  Only 2 would even be close and even they had chances.    Browns and Redskins don't even count; they are dysfunctional franchises who had plenty of chances but couldn’t get out of their own way.   Dolphins, Titans, and Bears all could have had good QBs if not for trying for retreads, sticking with a player too long (Mariota, Tannehill), and/or missing when they had good players available to draft (Ryan, Mahomes, Watson). Also jury still out on Trubisky.   Vikings and Broncos have not had the best luck with QBs lately, but they have also lingered in the mediocre to good record zone a lot which doesn't help them getting a high draft pick for QB . They also got a few good seasons out of retreads which helped them in the short term, but not the long term. Although in the Broncos case I am sure they will take their SB with PM.   I will give you the Jets, they have had some bad luck. When they did have good picks there wasn’t much available; although jury still out on Darnold (also they could have taken Lamar Jackson). Buffalo also had some bad luck for a few years, but they also blew their chance to draft Mahomes (though Allen may still turn into something).   During the last few years all these teams have had periods where they had a player/or players  as good or better than JB and it didn't amount to much other than keeping them from a top draft pick. If you don't have an very good - elite QB you are just playing the lottery hoping for one of those all the stars perfectly aligned runs that rarely happen.
    • Thanks for this.   My favorite part is his tackle at 5:30.  
    • Not a big deal.     Brissett puts fans in an odd position.   He is almost the definition of average.  His QB rating is average.  His yards per game is below average but his INT % is above average.  So I can understand supporters and detractors.  
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...