Indianapolis Colts
Imgrandojji

Zach Pascal deserves some love

I would add Ebron to the "deserves" list. He had a HUGE, very difficult TD catch, and also a number of nice catches with some yards after catch in the midfield.

Very pleasant to see that few players who have been (rightfully) called out recently by us / this forum, really stepped up and proved themselves today. Keep going!

• Like 1

Someone had to step up today against their weak and injured secondary and it turned out to be Zach.  Good for him.  He played great.  I was actually thinking it might have been Cain or Rogers but it turned out to be Pascal.  He is a good player but it doesn't change the fact that we still need a legitimate WR 2 who can force the teams with strong secondaries to account for.  The Texans were really beat up back there.  He delivered today and he deserves all the props he's getting though.  

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Someone had to step up today against their weak and injured secondary and it turned out to be Zach.  Good for him.  He played great.  I was actually thinking it might have been Cain or Rogers but it turned out to be Pascal.  He is a good player but it doesn't change the fact that we still need a legitimate WR 2 who can force the teams with strong secondaries to account for.  The Texans were really beat up back there.  He delivered today and he deserves all the props he's getting though.  

He is still very young. He defiantly could turn out to be a very good WR.

37 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Rogers was open a bunch today. And he caught both passes thrown to him so can't complain about him. I'd bet money that a lot of the game plan was built around Pascal and exposing Houston's injured DBs (three starters), and going somewhere else other than TY who would be doubled. We still tried to force it late to TY, but the first half and early 2nd was highly successful with first reads going to the X instead of Z.

Rogers dropped one of his few targets. The play was offset with penalties. He's pretty much useless as a WR.

• Confused 2

51 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Cain and Campbell can learn a thing or two from Pascal. And Rogers can keep the bench warm.

Great game.

i mean they both can learn from him but don’t discredit Cain hes been open JB just doesn’t throw his way but he’s very much so open and often..but also Pascal Run Blocks like a beastttt so he will get snaps over them being that we are a Run team first least depending on the matchup 

4 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Rogers dropped one of his few targets. The play was offset with penalties. He's pretty much useless as a WR.

He's no star, but he's not useless either. He's rarely the first read. TY was only 6 of 11 today. Does that mean TY is also bad?

• Like 1

Rogers had a beautiful catch today.  

If pascal keeps this up it’s only going to help TY and make us that much better when DF comes back. He has been big since the Atlanta game.

• Like 1

This team feels like we could have a guy show up depending on scheme.  Zach took advantage of his reps today and looked good doing it.

I think the Colts may have found the number 2 WR. They have been searching for. Please forgive me but reminds me of a young Reggie Wayne before he became a star 

I have to admit, when we went into the preseason after camp, I didn’t think Pascal was going to make the team.  I though PS at best.  

3 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

He had a really good game but I won’t jump the gun until he shows consistency performances.

Can we maybe NOT use this thread to bash other Colts players when it's intended to praise and discuss Zach Pascal?    That's really disappointing to me that people are gonna do that when they should be celebrating Pascal having a breakout campaign

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JR Indy said:

I think the Colts may have found the number 2 WR. They have been searching for. Please forgive me but reminds me of a young Reggie Wayne before he became a star 

He's very solid, but lacks the athleticism Wayne had. Not sure what his ceiling is, but he's definitely shown consistent improvement since late last season. 

Just now, Smonroe said:

I have to admit, when we went into the preseason after camp, I didn’t think Pascal was going to make the team.  I though PS at best.  

I doubt he would have been on the team. Fountain was likely taking his spot. He definitely made the most of his opportunity today. And even if he gets passed up by the younger guys at some point, it's great to know that he's capable of some very good things.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Can we maybe NOT use this thread to bash other Colts players when it's intended to praise and discuss Zach Pascal?    That's really disappointing to me that people are gonna do that when they should be celebrating Pascal having a breakout campaign

Who is bashing him? I said he had a great game but needs to show more consistent performances. None of that was negative.

1 hour ago, JR Indy said:

I am not ready to say that.  I need to see it in more than one game before I say that but today was encouraging for sure.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

Who is bashing him? I said he had a great game but needs to show more consistent performances. None of that was negative.

I'm talking about the people bashing Rogers, Cain and Campbell.  Can we just not do that?

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am not ready to say that.  I need to see it in more than one game before I say that but today was encouraging for sure.

Pascal has been one of our better WRs since week 3.  He's one o Brissett's favorite targets.  His catch rate is a bit low to be a true #2 WR but we don't really have anyone better right now.

The dude just gets open, catches everything, gets YAC, moves the chains, run blocks, returns kicks, and plays special teams. Shows an incredible reliability for a guy we claimed off waivers last year and was an UDFA out of Old Dominion University. He's basically Jack Doyle at WR, a 'Zach of all trades' if you will. This is early in his second year and he's shown a ton of promise so I see no reason for him to not keep showing a ton of improvement. As excited as I was about Funchess, Cain, and Campbell going into the season, it has been Zach Pascal, the relative afterthought, who has truly earned the #2 WR position. Just no more Philly Specials with him throwing the rock. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

He is the #4 slash #5 receiver on the roster. He is on pace to catch 800+ yards and 7 TD-s. He is also our best blocking WR and returns punts / kicks sharing the duty with Rogers. I bet most teams would love to have such "useless" receivers as #4 / #5 on their roster lol. :D

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Glad to see the hometown kid from ODU getting some love. He played very well and has stepped up for us. 

That's how we ball in Virginia!!

• Like 1

So something that I recently learned was that whenever you have a backup or rookie QB, often times in training camp they have a “go-to” receiver that’s not usually the number 1 receiver on the team since they’re usually running with the twos and threes.

Thats why when they get a chance to play you see the emergence of a WR you didn’t expect. For the Jags it was Chark when Minchew got the start. For the Giants, it’s Golden Tate with Jones starting. I’m pretty sure Pascal is the guy for Jacoby. He’s earned more opportunities going forward for sure. Once Campbell is back I’d stop dressing Cain. If Funchess comes back then it’ll be s real problem .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

He is the #4 slash #5 receiver on the roster. He is on pace to catch 800+ yards and 7 TD-s. He is also our best blocking WR and returns punts / kicks sharing the duty with Rogers. I bet most teams would love to have such "useless" receivers as #4 / #5 on their roster lol. :D

Rogers is our best blocking receiver? Rogers shares return duties with Rogers?

1 hour ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Rogers is our best blocking receiver? Rogers shares return duties with Rogers?

Sorry man, my bad, it's too early and I haven't got my coffee yet. :) I didn't realize you were talking about Rogers not Pascal.

• Thanks 1

Ever since last year when he juked that defender out of his shorts for the TD (Texans game? I can't remember) I have thought he was better than what he gets credit for. 

He is definitely playing well and I hope he gets more looks. 

• Like 1

He still got less then half the offensive snaps. He needs more. Cain got the other half. Cain isn’t showing anything. Give pascal half of Cain’s snaps.

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

So something that I recently learned was that whenever you have a backup or rookie QB, often times in training camp they have a “go-to” receiver that’s not usually the number 1 receiver on the team since they’re usually running with the twos and threes.

Thats why when they get a chance to play you see the emergence of a WR you didn’t expect. For the Jags it was Chark when Minchew got the start. For the Giants, it’s Golden Tate with Jones starting. I’m pretty sure Pascal is the guy for Jacoby. He’s earned more opportunities going forward for sure. Once Campbell is back I’d stop dressing Cain. If Funchess comes back then it’ll be s real problem .

I agree. Cain does not deserve any snaps right now. Campbell at least has shown flashes. Cain has shown nothing.

12 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Me too, he was shaping up as #7 on the depth chart. Great character guy who is brilliant at the basics. Go Blue!

Very happy for him. I was sorry the Colts didn't bring back Inman but Pascal sure played like him today - with better blocking as usual.

• Like 2

Pascal getting LOVE WHAT????????? where were you guys before the season when Many thought he such be cut. HILARIOUS!!!!!! I  love the guy good hands and very tough, know how to use hes body. He reminds me of a poor mans Terrell Owens.

2 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Pascal getting LOVE WHAT????????? where were you guys before the season when Many thought he such be cut. HILARIOUS!!!!!! I  love the guy good hands and very tough, know how to use hes body. He reminds me of a poor mans Terrell Owens.

Let’s be fair. The colts were loaded in camp at WR.  No one could of predicted pascal would develop like he has this year.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Let’s be fair. The colts were loaded in camp at WR.  No one could of predicted pascal would develop like he has this year.

The Colts were, but people and when I say people MOST people thought he was the odd man out and would be cut. I did not! Hes different from our other receivers, in the he has size and is by far the most Physical receiver we have. In a small sample size he was very good last year when given opportunities. This guy could be real good if we give him opportunities. Real happy for him!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

The Colts were, but people and when I say people MOST people thought he was the odd man out and would be cut. I did not! Hes different from our other receivers, in the he has size and is by far the most Physical receiver we have. In a small sample size he was very good last year when given opportunities. This guy could be real good if we give him opportunities. Real happy for him!!

I was one of those people, but remember Funchess and Campbell were are both out so we are down to the backups now.  Pascal had a great game though, maybe he should be ahead of cain and campbell anyway 

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

I was one of those people, but remember Funchess and Campbell were are both out so we are down to the backups now.  Pascal had a great game though, maybe he should be ahead of cain and campbell anyway 

I like Cain, he fast and acrobatic, not physical & coming off the knee, may need another year to be right, Funchess I like, but has underachieved in Carolina, with questionable Qb play, love his size though, Campbell I like his size and speed, hes got a chance to be real good, so far unable to stay healthy. Pascal does it another way Physical, good hands decent speed, but uses hes body well to shield the defender and willing to take a hit. I like him because hes different from the other guys. The colts have a nice stable of WR now, and we may not have to over pay if they want to retain Funchess. 

On 10/21/2019 at 9:50 AM, Chloe6124 said:

He still got less then half the offensive snaps. He needs more. Cain got the other half. Cain isn’t showing anything. Give pascal half of Cain’s snaps.

YES!!

• Like 1

On 10/20/2019 at 6:15 PM, ColtsLegacy said:

Most of the Rogers hate, comes from the Cain groupies.

Rogers value is being the primary punt returner. Anything else he brings as a receiver is a bonus. 

Pascal is playing well and the WR core gets better with the return of Funchess, I believe.

There are a lot of weapons on offense. 

Remember everyone wanted us to resign Inman. Pascal is turning out to be our Inman.

Something else to think about is in 2018 when JB was the backup he probably got lots of snaps with pascal working the second team snaps. He probably had some good chemistry with him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

Most of the Rogers hate, comes from the Cain groupies.

Rogers value is being the primary punt returner. Anything else he brings as a receiver is a bonus. 

Pascal is playing well and the WR core gets better with the return of Funchess, I believe.

There are a lot of weapons on offense. 

I saw today Rogers is fourth or fifth in PR average. He was 11th last year and has improved.

ZP has been playing well i think why he's liked is versatility at ODU he played all over the field. Very physical for a WR also very good on SP teams. He played all 4 sp groups for 4 years so he's got some dog in him. While i don't think this hurts Cain that much it could limit his usage along with Campbell as well. Can't wait to see Funch back soon also. But ZP has played well usually tons of talent out in the DMV area. 

I'm afraid a lot of us, myself included, have slept on Pascal. He is talented and brings A LOT to the table as a WR and Special Teamer for us - I would not be surprised is he is not named a Team Captain next year.

Zach Pascal is ODU's All-Time Leading Receiver (in only 3 years) with 233 Receptions, second in total yardage at 3,193 (74 yards behind the leader and a 13.70 AVG), and tied for second with 30 TD's (only 3 behind the leader). He also did this with somebody other than Taylor Heineke throwing the rock for the final two years of his college career. Oh yeah, he also ran the ball 38 times for 310 yards (8.16 AVG) and ran back 32 kicks for 755 yards (23.59 AVG). So he was just as versatile then as he is now.

Obviously, coming out of college he was no slouch as far as production was concerned, however, the 4.55 40-Yard dash at the NFL Combine slowed him down in the draft (pun intended). However, at his Pro Day he improved his 40 time to 4.48 and the Colts were one of about 6 teams interested at the time.

These were the WR's drafted in 2017:

Corey Davis - Titans

Mike Williams - Chargers

John Ross - Bengals

Zay Jones - Bills

Curtis Samuel - Panthers

JuJu Smith- Schuster - Steelers

Cooper Kupp - Rams

Taywan Taylor - Titans

ArDarius Stewart - Alabama

Carlos Henderson - Broncos

Chris Godwin - Bucs

Kenny Golladay - Lions

Chad Williams - Cardinals (now on our PS)

Amara Darboh - Seahawks

DeDe Westbrook - Jags

Josh Ryenolds - Rams

Mack Hollins - Eagles

Josh Malone - Bengals

Ryan Switzer - Cowboys

Jehu Chesson - Chiefs

Chad Hensen - Jets

Shelton Gibson - Eagles

Rodney Adams - Vikings

Isaiah McKenzie - Broncos

DeAngelo Yancey - Packers

Trent Taylor - 49ers

Robert Davis - Redskins

Stacy Coley - Vikings

David Moore - Seahawks

Isaiah Ford - Dolphins

Noah Brown - Cowboys

Malachi Dupree - Packers

There are obviously some good receivers in this draft and some head scratchers as well. Perhaps Ballard would have drafted him had he had a 6th or 7th round pick to work with? Who knows....? I do know he was snagged

Back on point, Since Week 3 when Pascal was game planned into the offense he has been productive and likely will continue to be as the staff is confident in his abilities as are his teammates - more importantly, Brissett.

vs. Atlanta           2-53-1

vs. Oakland         4-72-0

vs. Kansas City   1-8-0 (primarily relying on his blocking prowess in the run game)

vs. Houston         6-106-2

Meanwhile, the staff has slowly diminished the PT for Cain as Pascal has proved to be the better option. He's big at 6'2" and 219 lbs, has strong hands, can block his tail off, runs crisp routes, tackles well on ST's, can return kicks effectively, and has proven he can take a hit!

When Funchess and Campbell come back healthy, plus an emerging Pascal and the always lethal T.Y. Hilton combined with Hines, Ebron and Doyle the passing game will be wide open for Reich/Sirianni to dissect defenses.

In the NFL, you make the best out of every opportunity that you get. Pascal received some playing time last year due to his special teams ability, ability to play the position, Cain's injury, coupled with Fountain's slow progress.

Zach made the best out of his opportunity, and while everyone was talking about Cain and Fountain, all Zach did was ball out. We have given everyone a 3-year window of progress (this argument comes up every time a receiver struggles) but we had basically wrote off Pascal as just another guy, and didn't consider that he too, needed time to develop.

Now in year 2, he's steadily becoming the big bodied, reliable pass catcher that we have been looking for as the #2 receiver.