Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Imgrandojji

Week 7 impressions: Brissett

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I didn't see the game.

 

What were JBs two longest pass plays?  I mean with lots of air, not catch and runs.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The really good thing about this game is teams will see this game and will be hesitant  to stack the box.

 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, DougDew said:

 

 

 

 

I'm not the least bit surprised by how Brissett played today.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, egg said:

 

 

 

I'm not the least bit surprised by how Brissett played today.

 

 

You are like me, you have always been pro Brissett. Smart man :thmup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The really good thing about this game is teams will see this game and will be hesitant  to stack the box.

 

 

This wasn't the best day for our O.line. Brissett took several big hits. I hope he is ok overall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You are like me, you have always been pro Brissett. Smart man :thmup:

 

Thanks but you don't have to be smart. Some people let the low yardage numbers cloud their thinking. He's going to have more games where he is closer to 200 yards, or below, when the Colts are dominating on the ground. That won't mean Brissett has "regressed". It will only mean the offense is taking what the defense gives them.

 

Luck threw for less than 200 yards 18 times.

In those 18 games the Colts were 12-6.

 

Luck threw for over 300 yards 35 times.

In those games the Colts were 18-17.

 

Less than 200 doesn't automatically mean poor performance and losing. And over 300 doesn't automatically mean good performance and winning.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the ravens are tied with Seattle right now. I think with the injury to Mahomes the colts are the second best team in the AFC. How can you say any different when we beat Houston and KC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually don’t think our pass pro is all that great, mainly on the right side. Glow’s had kind of a rough season and Smith struggles at times.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

So the ravens are tied with Seattle right now. I think with the injury to Mahomes the colts are the second best team in the AFC. How can you say any different when we beat Houston and KC. 

Baltimore, 4-2, being tied on the road with a 5-1 Seattle doesn't scream Baltimore is worse than the Colts. Record wise, we're tied for 4th right now. We also still have to go to Houston, so it's a little early to crown ourselves AFCS favorites. Oakland is only one game behind us, and owns the tie breaker after beating us in Indy, so that's a bit of a threat too. 

 

If you're talking about record alone, KC is still better. If you're talking about current ability, we're better as long as Mahomes is out. When Mahomes comes back and all his WRs are healthy, that's another question entirely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you have to give credit to the Texans dline. They are very good.

 

LOL TY talking smack.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I actually don’t think our pass pro is all that great, mainly on the right side. Glow’s had kind of a rough season and Smith struggles at times.

I agree to an extent, but JB also needs to decrease his time-to-throw (he's bottom 5) and make it easier on the OL in general. I think that will improve as he builds confidence and chemistry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Baltimore, 4-2, being tied on the road with a 5-1 Seattle doesn't scream Baltimore is worse than the Colts. Record wise, we're tied for 4th right now. We also still have to go to Houston, so it's a little early to crown ourselves AFCS favorites. Oakland is only one game behind us, and owns the tie breaker after beating us in Indy, so that's a bit of a threat too. 

 

If you're talking about record alone, KC is still better. If you're talking about current ability, we're better as long as Mahomes is out. When Mahomes comes back and all his WRs are healthy, that's another question entirely.

I was going more on we just beat Houston and KC. Ravens lost to KC.  The chiefs are all Mahomes. If he does come back he isn’t going to be as effective with that big knee brace on. They have a couple hard games coming up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ryan Tannehill has thrown for over 300 yards today. With that titans defense he might get that team going again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chloe6124 said:

I was going more on we just beat Houston and KC. Ravens lost to KC.  The chiefs are all Mahomes. If he does come back he isn’t going to be as effective with that big knee brace on. They have a couple hard games coming up.

Mahomes may actually benefit long term being forced to become a more complete pocket passer. And honestly I wouldn't count on him wearing a big knew brace. If it was just a dislocated knee cap, and he heals well, it'll likely be just a sleeve per what I read.

 

Ravens lost a close one on the road to a complete KC. We beat a very depleted KC in a close one. The logic fails.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

1 hour ago, egg said:

 

 

 

I'm not the least bit surprised by how Brissett played today.

 

 

Nor am I. I have been expecting him to play a game like this. He is doing what he's to do. This game was drawn up for him to pass more.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

 

 

He's a game manager in the sense that he manages a good game, and even when other things aren't working for him (as in KC) he has that to fall back on.

 

He's not a game manager in the commonly-used sense because he can do more than manage the game. 

 

But he does manage a good game, it's just that he can also make the throws and even use his feet a little.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only complaint I have is Im still waiting for he and Deon Cain to get something going.  Other than that I'm totally happy.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, krunk said:

Only complaint I have is Im still waiting for he and Deon Cain to get something going.  Other than that I'm totally happy.

JB seems to trust Pascal more. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ebron finally got his head out of his behind.  Very good game from him today and I said we would need him in this one.  I also said we would need Brissett to do more through the air and he did just that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, krunk said:

Ebron finally got his head out of his behind.  Very good game from him today and I said we would need him in this one.  I also said we would need Brissett to do more through the air and he did just that.

Ebron was awesome today.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, runthepost said:

Played great and people need to give him more credit for us being 4-2. 

and the week one loss was not his fault. Kicker missed 7 points in that OT loss to the chargers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jacoby Brissett is the perfect QB for the situation the Colts found themselves in this year with the retirement of Andrew Luck.

 

He isn't going to turn the ball over and lose the game with stupid decisions.  He is getting better every week at going through his progressions, making the right read, and taking what the defense gives him.

 

If he hones his anticipation and gets better at looking off safeties and throwing open his receivers... :woah:  JB could put up some legitimate MVP numbers this season for a team that could find itself in the mix in January, and that's pretty amazing when you think about it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@EastStreet, you called it. You said this was JB's chance for a coming out party and he did just that :thmup:

I figured at some point Reich would open things up for him. IMO, it was the perfect opportunity in terms of opponent (strengths and weaknesses) and timing. I'm happier today than after the KC win. It's more than just a win in many ways. Huge step for JB. Gotta keep building and improving!! I'm trying to remain cautious, but it's hard not to be hyped!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeanine Garrapolo,  the franchise qb, struggled hard against a bad Redskins team

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Jeanine Garrapolo,  the franchise qb, struggled hard against a bad Redskins team

Did the weather play a part

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Jeanine Garrapolo,  the franchise qb, struggled hard against a bad Redskins team

The field was so bad. I saw a video on twitter of Bosa making the field a slip and slide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Colts kept Mahomes off the field with long sustained drives. Their first possession today was 12 plays eating up 97 yards. I don't know if it is Reich's game strategy but I don't think we will see a lot of long balls this year. His game plans are working although his going for it on fourth down I would prefer not to see much more of that. Today he did it and gave Texans the ball in Colts territory. Luckily, they could only score a FG. Intentionally risking giving up possession is worse than a fumble or INT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Jeanine Garrapolo,  the franchise qb, struggled hard against a bad Redskins team

Check the weather from that game.  Just about any QB would have struggled in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, King Colt said:

The Colts kept Mahomes off the field with long sustained drives. Their first possession today was 12 plays eating up 97 yards. I don't know if it is Reich's game strategy but I don't think we will see a lot of long balls this year. His game plans are working although his going for it on fourth down I would prefer not to see much more of that. Today he did it and gave Texans the ball in Colts territory. Luckily, they could only score a FG. Intentionally risking giving up possession is worse than a fumble or INT. 

Brissett looked down field several times today.  It wasn’t there.  He did a much better job finding his secondary reads though before just dumping it to the dump off guy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Brissett looked down field several times today.  It wasn’t there.  He did a much better job finding his secondary reads though before just dumping it to the dump off guy.  

He looked great.  Those intermediate reads were the ones I was hoping to see.  The protection affords him the opportunity to eat a sandwich most passing downs and find someone downfield.  There was also people coming open late.

 

The game plan was again superbly Belechikian.  Take what they give you.  I would have liked to see them run it 3 times in the possession with 8 minutes left to kill 3 minutes of clock.  The incompletion on 1st down somewhat forces your hand on 2nd and 3rd.

 

there are opportunities in this O to make plays and he made them today.  Great job.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He can zip it for sure as long as the play design is there. If Reich can prepare the offense and call a game like he did, we are golden. My only concern with Jacoby is that I'm not sure he can make plays out of nothing, when the play breaks down. 

That being said, he is on fire so far and we really have a TEAM which I love.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nickster said:

  I would have liked to see them run it 3 times in the possession with 8 minutes left to kill 3 minutes of clock. 

 

That really bothered me.

 

The Colts first two possessions of the 4th quarter were run, incomplete pass, incomplete pass.

 

They took almost no time off the clock with those two possessions when the Texans needed 2 TDs to have a chance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I agree to an extent, but JB also needs to decrease his time-to-throw (he's bottom 5) and make it easier on the OL in general. I think that will improve as he builds confidence and chemistry.

Just merging this thought with other comments I've read in the past, about him not being able to come off of his first read.

 

Seems to me that if he's taking  a long time in the pocket, he's looking at more than one receiver.

 

As he gains experience he should get quicker.  And I think having slightly better WR talent would help.  At least some consistency as to which WR is lining up in what role.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Mahomes may actually benefit long term being forced to become a more complete pocket passer. And honestly I wouldn't count on him wearing a big knew brace. If it was just a dislocated knee cap, and he heals well, it'll likely be just a sleeve per what I read.

 

Ravens lost a close one on the road to a complete KC. We beat a very depleted KC in a close one. The logic fails.  

Neither logic is any good, because it doesn't matter what KC and BAL did, all that matters is whether we wins the game we're playing. What Baltimore did against a healthier KC is irrelevant.  Matchups change week in and week out.   Injuries are a part of the game and so on and so forth.  We beat one of the best teams in the AFC and then we knocked off the AFC South leader. We dont need to make a math equation out of it, but because it's the furthest thing from calculable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • If there is a plus side to this season, it's that we're not that far out from top 10 status now. Obviously a lot to be decided in these last 3 games, but as it stands now(looking at how much Buffalo gave up to make that move) Colts would probably have to give their 1st, a 3rd, and their second 2nd round pick. Atlanta, NYJ, and Arizona all seem like teams to make the move with. 
    • Luck always played good in the 4th quarter when we were down. Defenses would play prevent to stop the big play and he would pick them apart. When you are ahead in the 4h quarter defenses tighten down to get a stop. JB andColts  have had the lead Quite a bit this year. This is where we  need playmakers to get us critical 1 st downs in the 4h quarter. Either Frank thinks our running game should be able to do that or JB is not seeing open receivers that Frank dials up. IDK. 
    • This is an absolute lie, and you should know better. Tanking is a great strategy. It brought the Astros and Cubs world series, it brought the Colts Andrew Luck. The higher the pick, the more choices you have to either A.) pick a higher rated player on your board, or B.) trade down and accumulate more picks (like the Quenton Nelson trade). Top 15 picks are better than top 20 picks. Look at Ryan Kelly and Malik Hooker. The draft is not a crap shoot, it's about strategy and research, and every GM would rather have 5 extra players available to them at 15 than 20. This is not a debate, and Ballard would agree with me.
    • There is some truth to that, but odds are that you do better with the pick in the top 15.  The player you want is more likely to be there at 13 rather than 18.   Good players can be taken anywhere, but your odds improve with the better pick position.  
    • Go with Brissett against the Saints.  There is still a shot at the playoffs.   Assuming we lose that game, start Kelly the last 2 games.  There is no downside.   It gives the fans what they want.  It gives the coaches and Ballard a look at what Kelly is.  Worst case is that we lose both games and gain draft position.   It's not tanking.    If Kelly doesn't get some playing time, I think we go into next season with Jacoby as the starter and Hoyer as the back up again.  They signed Hoyer to a 3 year $12 million contract with $9 million guaranteed.  
  • Members

    • jal8908

      jal8908 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • teganslaw

      teganslaw 527

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • EastStreet

      EastStreet 2,580

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • lincolndefan

      lincolndefan 4

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CheezyColt

      CheezyColt 681

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • SVFD Colts Fan

      SVFD Colts Fan 39

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DEFENSE

      DEFENSE 113

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • GoColtsGo5150

      GoColtsGo5150 228

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ColtsSouljah

      ColtsSouljah 440

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ColtV

      ColtV 122

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...