Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who is a franchise QB and who's not? Where does Brissett fall?

stitches

In one of Brissett impressions threads @SteelCityColt asked about who are the QBs you would take over Brissett right now? I gave my answer there but I wanted to refine the inquiry into something that IMO has more of a practical significance for our evaluation of Brissett going forward. I want to see what people think are the QB tiers in the NFL and how good Brissett needs to perform in order to fall into the tier that makes him a franchise QB worthy of long-term contract and worthy of not losing sleep over knowing he's your QB. 

I've decided to simplify the task at hand and separated the tiers into only 3 buckets -

-"franchise QB" - This one will be kind of broad and I wanted it to just signify a list of QBs for which you are not looking for replacement(if they are healthy), you don't waste a high pick in order to replace one of those. 

-"not a franchise QB" - you are in QB purgatory and you need to upgrade your QB if you want long-term success. You should be willing to spend good draft picks(1st rounder +) in order to address the QB position if you have one of those. 

-"wait and see" - this one will be reserved for young QBs who are still finding their way in the league and we don't yet know if they will be good enough in the long run. 

I decided to separate them like this because in a lot of ways this is the decision we will need to make if not at the end of this year, then at the end of next season. We will need to know where Brissett falls in those lists. 

So here we go. My list(not in particular order):

Franchise QBs:

Tom Brady

Russell Wilson

Phillip Rivers

Patrick Mahomes

Deshaun Watson

Carson Wentz

Ben Roethlisberger

Cam Newton

Carson Wentz

Jimmy Garoppolo

Aaron Rodgers 

Matthew Stafford

Aaron Rodgers

Drew Brees

Matt Ryan

Jared Goff

Dak Prescott

Not-Francise QBs:

Andy Dalton

Kirk Cousins

Derek Carr

Joe Flacco

Nick Foles

Marcus Mariota

Case Keenum/Colt McCoy

Mitch Trubisky

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Jameis Winston 

Ryan Tannehill

Teddy Bridgewater

Wait & see:

Josh Allen

Sam Darnold

Josh Rosen???

Drew Lock

Lamar Jackson

Baker Mayfield

Gardner Minshew

Daniel Jones

Dwayne Haskins

Kyler Murray

Will Grier

Kyle Allen

Jacoby Brissett

This is my list. If I have to be honest, right now I think Brissett falls closer to a non-franchise QB than to a franchise QB for me. The hardest to peg for me were Dak and Goff... Goff has shown already he can play great football if he has good protection and run game, so I'm willing to put him in the franchise QB category, although he's been pretty underwhelming when facing more pressure this year. I'm still not sure Dak is what he was in the first several weeks of this season, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt here. From the franchise tier he was the closest to dropping out, from the non-franchise QBs, it was Derek Carr that was closest to making it for me and both of those would be a natural line of separation for Brissett. On what side will he fall after this season or next season? The answer to this question IMO will decide whether I will be happy with giving him a long-term contract and locking him in as our franchise QB or turning to the draft to seek a solution there. 

So what are your tiers? 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Jacoby is a top 20 guy.    He can't do what Peyton and Andrew did.   If they keep building a great roster,   he won't have to be

I’m not fully sold on JB. That said, I do think he potentially could be good to great later on. IF the coaching staff help him improve and develop his game. Everyone said Ryan Leaf was a sure fire Franchise QB, nobody and I mean nobody said that about Tom Brady when he was drafted. And for his first few seasons, Brady was average to maybe top 20. 

Now do do I think Brissett will ever be close to Brady, heck no.  But my point is, he may not have to be. Why? Because one reason for Brady’s early win totals was the players around him. That talent combined with coaching was key. And that’s what I see when I look at our roster. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’m not fully sold on JB. 

Who is?...Who could be?

He played one year on a bad team, and is only 5 games into this one.

I've been happy with Brissett so far. That doesn't mean I want him to be QB for the next ten years.

Personally, I'm not looking to crown a "franchise" QB. I want the Colts to upgrade every position as the opportunity presents itself, including QB.

• Like 6

Colts have been spoiled with Elite QB for a long long time. I like JB and would like to repeat myself again that he is not a turnover machine, and a very smart QB. Since he might not be elite right now gives us the leverage to not spend a lot of money on this position. If we can build a better LINE (DL and OL) around him, I believe we can beat any team any given Sunday with JB, and might win a SB someday. 

• Like 2

I have a question for OP?

if Jimmy G is Franchise QB why JB is not a Franchise QB? What is Jimmy G doing better than JB as a QB? Don't forget 49ers are better on D then Colts but I have to say JB beats JG in QB position this season so far thru 5 games if thats the case then JB is sure a Franchise QB. 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, coltsfan_canada said:

if Jimmy G is Franchise QB why JB is not a Franchise QB? What is Jimmy G doing better than JB as a QB? Don't forget 49ers are better on D then Colts but I have to say JB beats JG in QB position this season so far thru 5 games if thats the case then JB is sure a Franchise QB. 

I certainly wouldn't classify JG as a franchise guy yet. In his defense, his supporting cast on O isn't great. Most people would struggle to name any of their RBs are WRs. I do think he has a higher upside than JB. 

51 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

Agreed.  I'd be happy to have a great "system qb" in a great system.   All this QB worship is exhausting.  I'm ready for an all around solid squad.

Agreed. It's literally because of our last 2 QB's. We aren't used to having a Honda after having two Ferrari's.

Our franchise is going through withdrawal even if they don't admit it. You see it by having a QB thread every 14 minutes.

I'm totally happy going the 'team' route and it'll work as long as Ballard keeps doing his job. 

Great QB's can cover crap teams, that's the big difference. That's where Ballard becomes essentially the most important piece for our franchise going forward.

• Like 8

We are never going to have Peyton or Andrew again. I have JB around 15 or 16 which is respectable. With a solid team around team we can win. Some are too young to remember but JB is our Danny White who replaced Roger Staubach. Danny was good (should've won the SB in 1981) but he wasn't Staubach or Aikman, google it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I certainly wouldn't classify JG as a franchise guy yet. In his defense, his supporting cast on O isn't great. Most people would struggle to name any of their RBs are WRs. I do think he has a higher upside than JB. 

What makes you think he has more upside than Jacoby?

15 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Way more prolific college career, drafted hire, current QBR and completion % are better than JB's, etc... He's got better touch, currently better at reads/progression. He's also doing it on a team that has a poor to mediocre supporting cast on offense while JB has probably the best OL in the league, and a top 5ish RB.

Belichick also obviously thought he had a higher upside.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Way more prolific college career, drafted hire, current QBR and completion % are better than JB's, etc... He's got better touch, currently better at reads/progression. He's also doing it on a team that has a poor to mediocre supporting cast on offense while JB has probably the best OL in the league, and a top 5ish RB.

Belichick also obviously thought he had a higher upside.

He played at eastern Illinois.   Im guessing Jacoby would have had better college numbers in the Ohio valley conference.   He is doing a decent job on a team with a great defense.   Garrapolo hasn't shown anything superior to Jacoby at this point

• Like 3

I think we r going to find out a lot tomorrow about Brissett and where he is in terms of being the Colts future. Texans r going to b tough.  I think they r a more balanced offense than the Chiefs. The Tunsil trade was a gutsy  move and is making O'Brien look like a genius.  I actually compare it to Ballard taking Nelson at #6. Both moves have seemed to solidify each teams O line.  The Texans front 7  is going to make a point of committing to stopping the run which I believe they can do.  This I believe will open up oportunities for the passing game and Brissett. It will b up to the passing game to take advantage of the Texans defensive game plan.  I think the Colts have to put up 30 plus to win.  They won't win by pounding the ball. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He played at eastern Illinois.   Im guessing Jacoby would have had better college numbers in the Ohio valley conference.   He is doing a decent job on a team with a great defense.   Garrapolo hasn't shown anything superior to Jacoby at this point

That's all you got, picking on his conference? What about all the other stuff I listed. And it's not like NC State played a great schedule in 2014 and 2015. I think their best win was against a 4-8 Syracuse team.

It's not like saying JG has a higher upside is controversial or anything. He was drafted higher, was ahead of JB on the depth chart when both were at NE, he was in demand, and has better stats playing for a team that has a far worse supporting cast. He's also asked to do a lot more.

• Like 2

Jacoby I think makes the team better than luck did over all. I love luck but he was too nice of a guy and never really held his line accountable for terrible blocking in past seasons, never held his running backs accountable for missing running lanes, and never held his receivers accountable for drops. Jacoby does that which makes the team around him play better. He may not have the arm or the physical attributes Andrew had but he has the mentality of a franchise qb.Celebrate Indianapolis Colts GIF by SportsManias

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

That's all you got, picking on his conference? What about all the other stuff I listed. And it's not like NC State played a great schedule in 2014 and 2015. I think their best win was against a 4-8 Syracuse team.

It's not like saying JG has a higher upside is controversial or anything. He was drafted higher, was ahead of JB on the depth chart when both were at NE, he was in demand, and has better stats playing for a team that has a far worse supporting cast. He's also asked to do a lot more.

Ryan leaf was drafted second .  Jamarcus Russell was drafted first

I have a kind of weird/off topic thought, but I wonder if Reich doesn't really want to bring up a young (rookie) QB. I mean, he's not a young HC by any means, I think he's one of the 5 oldest coaches actually. I'm curious if he's kind of tying himself to Brissett.

Nobody really talks about how much longer Reich will coach but hey, when he took the job he could very well have been in the mindset of coaching throughout Luck's tenure if that. I know, it's just a random/rambling thought, but I almost wonder if he's all in with Brissett now that Luck is done.

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Sorry....but you're overstating how bad Garoppolo's supporting cast is. 

George Kittle is an excellent all-around TE, and the 49ers have a very solid committee of RBs in Tevin Coleman, Matt Brieda and Raheem Mostert. They shredded through the Aaron Donald-led Rams defense last week and have the 2nd rated rushing attack in the NFL.....so their O-line can't be that bad either.

And behind it all....Kyle Shanahan is an excellent play caller, as well.

They're also #2 in total defense.... #1 in pass and #6 in rushing.

I can see why one might give the nod to Garroppolo at this point but I don't agree that there is THAT large a degree of separation in talent and capability between he and Brissett....and Jimmy G is hardly the only reason the 49ers are 5-0.

For me....Brissett is in the "wait and see" category....so the balance of this season will tell us a lot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Having seen all of Jacoby's games with us and a few of Jimmy G's, its easy to spot the talent difference. I have never seen Jacoby play out of his game manager role. He always did just enough to not be a liability. Imo, he has never shown to be able to take over a game when the running game or defense lays an egg. Ever. Jimmy G, last year after he was traded (haven't watched him this year) played really well. Even if his stats didn't show it, he played like a guy who can make all the throws and win despite the team around him not playing its best at times. That's why they awarded him a fat contract.

I honestly can't see Jacoby being more than a solid game manager. 

7 hours ago, Sumo63 said:

Agreed.  I'd be happy to have a great "system qb" in a great system.   All this QB worship is exhausting.  I'm ready for an all around solid squad.

Having a solid all around squad should not be stopping you from seeking a great QB. Ironically, giving huge contract to a QB that is not worth it, might actually make building a great all around roster long-term much harder. We are lucky right now that we are getting all-pro type of performances from players on rookie contracts, but this is not something you should rely on in the long-term, because soon enough those will need to be paid and if you give Brissett 30M+ this will make it hard to fill in the voids. 

Our situation cap-wise right now is NOT the norm. Good rosters sooner or later have to get paid and the money will dry out so you will have to choose where to be strong and where you are going to go into the bargain bin. This is the whole point of having to decide whether Jacoby is worth the money or not. We should have no problem paying huge money to a franchise QB. We should have huge problem paying big money to a player that's in the non-franchise QB category. 

Sooner or later, JB is going to have to show he can hurt opposing defenses with the pass, should they stop the run (maybe today)?

I’m not sure if he can, at this point and I think the coaching staff will work him into that. But one thing is for sure;  come playoff time, you’re going to have to do all things well in order to beat teams like NE, or they will take away the run game and force you to do something you are not great at.

• Like 1

There are multiple possible way to approach the OP question. One can say (and hard to argue with that), that in a 32 teams league, the quality of quarterbacking is defined by the players from 1 thru 32, so franchise QB's are the top 10 (top 15) quarterbacks in the leage, regardless of how good the 10th (15th) is. Others can say there are certain traits, abilities that make franchise QBs. Leadership, mental toughness, football smartness, technic, accuracy, touch, pocket presence / awareness, footwork, ability to read defenses pre- and post snap, etc. Other's can say that a franchise QB has to have certain added +W potential without added -L-s, so if a quarterback adds +2 or more wins total (without -2L-s) he is a franchise QB.

For me, it's a little bit of all. The bar is certainly below the Manning bar, but a franchise QB has to be able to win games himself, at least here and there. And there should not be - lets say - 15 better quarterbacks than him. And he has to check at least the majority of those traits/abilities I mentioned above.

So, for me Dak Prescott is not a franchise QB for example. Even the best quarterbacks need some support, but Prescott needs more than that. He's been in the league for 3.5 years, and I barely remember a game when he missed Elliot, and/or the full (elite) oline and / or an elite receiver, and he didn't struggle. He is not far from being a franchise QB, he doesn't need much more, but after 3.5 years, I am not sure he'll ever be one. Jared Goff is somewhat similar, he doen't need much more neither, but I am not sure about him yet too.

Regarding Brissett, he is definitely not a franchise QB. The big question is, if there is a "yet", or there is a period without a "yet". I don't know. Every young QB is different, some is more of a baller, some is more of a game manager in the beginning, some seem to have "it" from the beginning, but then gradually regresses, some does not seem to have "it" in the beginning, but gradually improves. I love a lot about Jacoby. I think he is mentally ideal to be a good QB, he has a natural ability to be careful with the ball and avoid foolish mistakes. I think he has fine pocket awareness, I think he is accurate enough, and I think he checks every "leadership" type boxes. However, he needs to improve his touch (I saw some improvement there, but not enough yet), he needs to have better anticipation (not much improvement yet), he has to learn to use his head & eyes to manipulate defenders, make quicker decisions, etc. Without these, he'll never be a threat to good secondaries. Can he improve in these areas? I honestly, don't know. The sample size is too small to predict. There has been only a handful of young quarterbacks of his style - sure handed, mentally tough, accurate, not making mistakes, but quite limited in balling it out - I've seen before, who got the a chance to play long enough to have a chance to improve. Tom Brady, Alex Smith, Marcus Mariota come to my mind. One become a first ballott HOF, the other become an OK to fine "game manager" (who I put in the franchise QB bracket), and the third is just fading out of the league. Brissett can end up being anywhere between Mariota and Brady. Since he has Reich, I'd say he has a good chance to be better than Mariota, on the other hand, there is almost zero chance for him - for anyone - to become the next Brady.

So, what would I do with Jacoby? I would give him the chance, unless he falls off the cliff quickly during the remaining games of the season. I would give him the chance, and I would monitor his progress closely. And I would definitely bring in real competition, which means, that although I would not go "all in" in the next draft for a new QB, I would not hesitate to draft a top tier guy - with first or second round grade - if someone I like is falling in my hands, or it won't cost a fortune to trade up and grab him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I have a kind of weird/off topic thought, but I wonder if Reich doesn't really want to bring up a young (rookie) QB. I mean, he's not a young HC by any means, I think he's one of the 5 oldest coaches actually. I'm curious if he's kind of tying himself to Brissett.

Nobody really talks about how much longer Reich will coach but hey, when he took the job he could very well have been in the mindset of coaching throughout Luck's tenure if that. I know, it's just a random/rambling thought, but I almost wonder if he's all in with Brissett now that Luck is done.

He is not. The 5 oldest are Arians, Reid, Carroll, Belichick and Zimmer. And there is Fangio, etc. Reich is not a young guy of course, he is in the Garrett,  Marrone, Payton, Gruden, Harbaugh, Rivera, etc. group. Mid fifties. So, purely by age, he can coach for at least a decade if he want's to and his health allows him to. However, I'm a bit scared that he is similar to Dungy or Luck, for who'm coaching/quarterbacking is not the only thing in the universe. So I can see him (Reich) retiring from active coaching earlier than those "football is my life" type coaches (Carroll, Belichick, etc.). I hope he won't though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Samu-Rye said:

I see Brissett as more of a Brad Johnson,Trent Dilfer type. He will keep us drafting in the lower twenties, and in a perfect storm kind of season, could possibly win it all.

Lol, no offense, but you just defined Peyton Manning's Colts carreer. :D Realistically speaking I would gladly accept this for the next decade. :)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, egg said:

Who is?...Who could be?

He played one year on a bad team, and is only 5 games into this one.

I've been happy with Brissett so far. That doesn't mean I want him to be QB for the next ten years.

Personally, I'm not looking to crown a "franchise" QB. I want the Colts to upgrade every position as the opportunity presents itself, including QB.

I think that’s reasonable and a good strategy.  

14 hours ago, stitches said:

In one of Brissett impressions threads @SteelCityColt asked about who are the QBs you would take over Brissett right now? I gave my answer there but I wanted to refine the inquiry into something that IMO has more of a practical significance for our evaluation of Brissett going forward. I want to see what people think are the QB tiers in the NFL and how good Brissett needs to perform in order to fall into the tier that makes him a franchise QB worthy of long-term contract and worthy of not losing sleep over knowing he's your QB. 

I've decided to simplify the task at hand and separated the tiers into only 3 buckets -

-"franchise QB" - This one will be kind of broad and I wanted it to just signify a list of QBs for which you are not looking for replacement(if they are healthy), you don't waste a high pick in order to replace one of those. 

-"not a franchise QB" - you are in QB purgatory and you need to upgrade your QB if you want long-term success. You should be willing to spend good draft picks(1st rounder +) in order to address the QB position if you have one of those. 

-"wait and see" - this one will be reserved for young QBs who are still finding their way in the league and we don't yet know if they will be good enough in the long run. 

I decided to separate them like this because in a lot of ways this is the decision we will need to make if not at the end of this year, then at the end of next season. We will need to know where Brissett falls in those lists. 

So here we go. My list(not in particular order):

Franchise QBs:

Tom Brady

Russell Wilson

Phillip Rivers

Patrick Mahomes

Deshaun Watson

Carson Wentz

Ben Roethlisberger

Cam Newton

Carson Wentz

Jimmy Garoppolo

Aaron Rodgers 

Matthew Stafford

Aaron Rodgers

Drew Brees

Matt Ryan

Jared Goff

Dak Prescott

Not-Francise QBs:

Andy Dalton

Kirk Cousins

Derek Carr

Joe Flacco

Nick Foles

Marcus Mariota

Case Keenum/Colt McCoy

Mitch Trubisky

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Jameis Winston 

Ryan Tannehill

Teddy Bridgewater

Wait & see:

Josh Allen

Sam Darnold

Josh Rosen???

Drew Lock

Lamar Jackson

Baker Mayfield

Gardner Minshew

Daniel Jones

Dwayne Haskins

Kyler Murray

Will Grier

Kyle Allen

Jacoby Brissett

This is my list. If I have to be honest, right now I think Brissett falls closer to a non-franchise QB than to a franchise QB for me. The hardest to peg for me were Dak and Goff... Goff has shown already he can play great football if he has good protection and run game, so I'm willing to put him in the franchise QB category, although he's been pretty underwhelming when facing more pressure this year. I'm still not sure Dak is what he was in the first several weeks of this season, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt here. From the franchise tier he was the closest to dropping out, from the non-franchise QBs, it was Derek Carr that was closest to making it for me and both of those would be a natural line of separation for Brissett. On what side will he fall after this season or next season? The answer to this question IMO will decide whether I will be happy with giving him a long-term contract and locking him in as our franchise QB or turning to the draft to seek a solution there. 

So what are your tiers? 

Brissett is wait and see for me.  I don't like Goff as a franchise QB, I'd put him in wait and see.  Interesting list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterk2011 said:

He is not. The 5 oldest are Arians, Reid, Carroll, Belichick and Zimmer. And there is Fangio, etc. Reich is not a young guy of course, he is in the Garrett,  Marrone, Payton, Gruden, Harbaugh, Rivera, etc. group. Mid fifties. So, purely by age, he can coach for at least a decade if he want's to and his health allows him to. However, I'm a bit scared that he is similar to Dungy or Luck, for who'm coaching/quarterbacking is not the only thing in the universe. So I can see him (Reich) retiring from active coaching earlier than those "football is my life" type coaches (Carroll, Belichick, etc.). I hope he won't though.

Hopefully since he started later by design, this is the thing he wants to do...

9 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Using extremes as examples are fine, but not really a good basis for debate. Sure JB could turn out to be better than JG. Could be much better (hope he is). We're talking about upside witch is subjective, but the history and data here is objective. But like I said, my opinion is not controversial. His current stats and history simply are what they are. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterk2011 said:

Ah, you're right. Both Zimmer and somehow Arians had slipped my mind (I was a little foggy minded last night).

But yeah, it just wouldn't surprise me to see him hang it up after a few more years. In fact, I'd be kind of surprised if he does coach until his mid-60s, and I mean he's almost 58. He's got a family/grandkids...he did the whole seminary thing and I could see him going into that line of work...much easier to stay around family that way too.

49 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I think that’s reasonable and a good strategy.  

I remember when the Colts drafted Manning.

Because I loved Harbaugh, and I thought he was still a good QB, I wanted them to keep him in case Manning was a flop. Even though that idea was not practical, I was not ready to move on from Harbaugh.

Similar thing could happen with Brissett. He might be good enough for the Colts to be a winning team, but if the front office thinks they have an opportunity to upgrade the position, I'm sure they will. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, coltsfan_canada said:

Anticipation throwing, accuracy, aggression on deep throws. 

12 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

He's a better, more accurate thrower of the football, he's better at isolating what's there and eliminating what's not there and he's better going through his progressions. Better at anticipation throws. 

9 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

From everything I've seen from Reich, he seems like a guy who loves coaching. He was there to bring up Wentz as a young QB, I have no reason to think he wouldn't do the same for a rookie we draft. Hell, in a way a rookie QB is a blank slate and he can develop him and mold him into whatever he wants without having to deprogram what he's been taught by others in the NFL. He would also probably have input on who he likes as a QB and whether he fits his system or not. That's not to say he won't adjust whatever we do to whoever he has starting at QB, because he's doing it now, but I can imagine him enjoying having a QB that is great at the things he emphasizes in his system and the things that will maximize its success.  

Franchise quarterback is less about skill level and more about the level of faith the team puts in the QB.

For example, Dak Prescott is a franchise QB.  I'm not sure exactly why, but there it is, the Cowboys have invested enough money and propaganda in the guy that he is a franchise QB.