Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Lucky Colts Fan

You're the new Colts GM, choose your franchise QB.

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I hate to say it, but this is a no brainer.  Guy has been to 9 Super Bowls in 18 seasons...winning 6.

 

Nobody else comes close.

 

Reread the OP again.

 

This isn't a discussion of past accomplishments, or who the greatest QB ever is.

 

It's about who can do the most with the least help from his coaches, defense, and supporting cast on offense.  Brady has never had an average coach.  Or an average defense, really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

You are the new GM of the Colts, but the ONLY thing you get to choose is your franchise QB, and it can be any QB in history in their prime.

 

You are saddled with an average coaching staff, average defense, and average supporting cast on offense.  Your QB has to carry your team.

 

You want to win the SB this year.  What QB in their prime would you choose?

Well.....the closest thing to an actual precedent for answering this question makes me throw up in my mouth.....

 

"His teams had an overall record of 68 wins, 71 losses, and four ties, 64–64–4 in 132 starts, and 4–7 in relief. He completed 1,886 passes for 27,663 yards, threw 173 touchdowns, and had 220 interceptions, for a career passer rating of 65.5"

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Andrew no question. No one did more with such little talent. Peyton twice had above average oline, hof wrs and rbs and talented wrs in Thomas, welker, and Decker

I always felt that there wasnt any other QB that could handle pressure the way he did. He would be my choice as well. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I would choose Manning.

 

He was the ultimate Field General.

 

He could read a defense better than anyone, call the right play, and get the ball where it needed to be when it needed to be there.

Correct on Peyton, not even debatable no QB is capable of doing more with less. Mahomes possibly but needs to prove it. I think after watching our game againt the chiefs it ahowed Mahomes can be rattled by pressure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CR91 said:

 

Andrew took a trash roster to an AFC championship game in only his third year. You really think if andrew had tbe line and running game we have now, he wouldnt get to a super bowl?

 

Strong possibility he never wins one, yes. 

 

Just because he took a trash roster to a blowout in the afc championship game, doesn't mean he was capable of leading a well rounded team through the playoffs. He still forced plays, still struggled in big games... and he retired, so we'll never know. 

 

We do know what Peyton Manning did though. He won with more injury riddled teams with little depth. With today's rules, Peyton's offenses would have dominated more than they ever did. They were a little too far ahead of their time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

 

Strong possibility he never wins one, yes. 

 

Just because he took a trash roster to a blowout in the afc championship game, doesn't mean he was capable of leading a well rounded team through the playoffs. He still forced plays, still struggled in big games... and he retired, so we'll never know. 

 

We do know what Peyton Manning did though. He won with more injury riddled teams with little depth. With today's rules, Peyton's offenses would have dominated more than they ever did. They were a little too far ahead of their time. 

 

And what exactly did peyton do in the playoffs? He didnt win his first playoff game til his 6th year. Gone one and done 9 times. Andrew only went one and done once and that was his rookie year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Really?  Easy?  How is it easy?  Most people here never saw him play.   His days in Baltimore he never had average coach,  defense or offensive talent.   Im not suggesting he wasn't great,   but he wasn't asked to do what qbs of today are asked to do, and he had great talent all around him. 60's era qbs heads would explode trying to play today's game. 

Very easy.  And I've seen them all play since him.  So it's easy for me.  Just because you haven't seen him play doesn't disqualify him.  To suggest any players from an earlier era were not smart enough to handle today's game is ridiculous.  There heads would explode.  Nonsense.  I will take Unitas in his prime any day.  And I would bet many of today's QB's would have a tougher time doing well playing under the old rules from the 50's and 60's including Brady.  The new rules make it much easier for the QB's to gather stats and throw TD passes today.  Unitas would love to play with these rules.   A far cry from what it was like to be a QB in the 50's and 60's.  No hesitation it's Unitas for me. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Very easy.  And I've seen them all play since him.  So it's easy for me.  Just because you haven't seen him play doesn't disqualify him.  To suggest any players from an earlier era were not smart enough to handle today's game is ridiculous.  There heads would explode.  Nonsense.  I will take Unitas in his prime any day.  And I would bet many of today's QB's would have a tougher time doing well playing under the old rules from the 50's and 60's including Brady.  The new rules make it much easier for the QB's to gather stats and throw TD passes today.  Unitas would love to play with these rules.   A far cry from what it was like to be a QB in the 50's and 60's.  No hesitation it's Unitas for me. 

Yeah,   Peyton was better

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been on this forum long enough to know the right answer is Chad Kelly.

  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, buccolts said:

I've been on this forum long enough to know the right answer is Chad Kelly.

Yeah screw Tom Brady, Joe Montana, and Peyton, Chad is the man :funny: Happy So Excited GIF by TikTok

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Nickster said:

Marino. He had the exact scenario you are describing his entire career and had teams who were always competitive.

That guy would have the most super bowls if the dolphins would have put a worth a crap defense on the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CR91 said:

 

 

And what exactly did peyton do in the playoffs? He didnt win his first playoff game til his 6th year. Gone one and done 9 times. Andrew only went one and done once and that was his rookie year

 

Idk, just 4 superbowl appearances and 2 championships. You know, way more than Andrew Luck...

 

This isn't even a winnable argument. You aren't convincing anyone on this forum. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Peyton with Belichick for his entire career would have been epic.

like 10 SB rings total lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CR91 said:

 

 

And what exactly did peyton do in the playoffs? He didnt win his first playoff game til his 6th year. Gone one and done 9 times. Andrew only went one and done once and that was his rookie year

90% of the time when we went one and done it wasnt Peyton Manning's fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Andrew never went to a single SB.

I read somewhere that Andrew and his dad went to Super Bowl 44.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Peyton just because I miss watching the way the position was played when he was in his prime. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

You are the new GM of the Colts, but the ONLY thing you get to choose is your franchise QB, and it can be any QB in history in their prime.

 

You are saddled with an average coaching staff, average defense, and average supporting cast on offense.  Your QB has to carry your team.

 

You want to win the SB this year.  What QB in their prime would you choose?

 

Yeah, gotta be Tom Brady.  There's other guys out there you could make an argument for, Peyton is certainly up there as a very good option, but if the goal is to win the Superbowl the guy who did it 6 times has to be on the top of the list.

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

Bellicheck MADE Brady, without him Brady isn’t nearly as good. 

 

Really can't know that.  

 

Before Belichick had Brady, he had a losing record as a Head Coach.  It's entirely possible that Brady made Belichick.

 

Although I choose to believe they made each other.  Tom may not have gotten his chance in the first place if it wasn't for Belichick.  On the other hand the Patriots definitely don't win either of their first 2 Superbowls without Brady's clutch last minute drives that set up AV for game winning field goals.  That level of success doesn't happen unless both the coach and the QB are elevating each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Peyton with Belichick for his entire career would have been epic.

I'm not convinced it would have been that different.   Brady and Peyton are about equal in raw talent. 

 

Brady has surgical accuracy and possibly the best field vision the NFL has ever seen.    He was born to be a short pass, ball control possession QB, and that's a valuable set of talents the NFL doesn't always scout for.  And Brady is one of the best in NFL history at that style of ball. 

 

Manning has command presence and the big arm and more than enough accuracy in his own right to be great.  He plays less ball control and connects for big throws more often. 

 

As they matured both could play either style of course.  That's how it is with masters of the craft.  It comes down to a question of preferences.

 

Either of them with great coaching are going to win big games for you.  Unfortunately for Manning, Brady had better coaching behind him over his career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I'm not convinced it would have been that different.   Brady and Peyton are about equal in raw talent. 

 

Brady has surgical accuracy and possibly the best field vision the NFL has ever seen.    He was born to be a short pass, ball control possession QB, and that's a valuable set of talents the NFL doesn't always scout for.  And Brady is one of the best in NFL history at that style of ball. 

 

Manning has command presence and the big arm and more than enough accuracy in his own right to be great.  He plays less ball control and connects for big throws more often. 

 

As they matured both could play either style of course.  That's how it is with masters of the craft.  It comes down to a question of preferences.

 

Either of them with great coaching are going to win big games for you.  Unfortunately for Manning, Brady had better coaching behind him over his career.

I think choosing between Tom Brady, Joe Montana, and Peyton is about impossible. They were all above everyone else IMO and that is the top 3 QB's of all-time. I chose Peyton regarding this topic because I would trust him running my offense as much as I would the other 2 guys. I think had Peyton had Belichick his entire career he very well could've won 6 SB's like Tom has. Peyton still won 2 SB's which only 11 other QB's have done. Peyton went to a SB with John Fox and Jim Caldwell as coach and won one with Gary Kubiak coaching lmao . Only real coach he ever had was Dungy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

 

Idk, just 4 superbowl appearances and 2 championships. You know, way more than Andrew Luck...

 

This isn't even a winnable argument. You aren't convincing anyone on this forum. 

 

I know its a loseable battle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, CR91 said:

 

 

And what exactly did peyton do in the playoffs? He didnt win his first playoff game til his 6th year. Gone one and done 9 times. Andrew only went one and done once and that was his rookie year

Peyton was the far superior player.   And it isn't close

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the scenario, it would prob be Elway. He proved he could consistently carry teams past their coaching/talent level.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2019 at 9:37 PM, TimetobringDfence! said:

Correct on Peyton, not even debatable no QB is capable of doing more with less. Mahomes possibly but needs to prove it. I think after watching our game againt the chiefs it ahowed Mahomes can be rattled by pressure.

Doesn’t mean they are better quarterbacks, but Elway, Marino, and Luck all did more with less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would sign Manning.  Use him to hire better coaches, then trade Manning for a Good QB, a great oline and and a couple of great LBers (yes Manning is good enough to make that trade) and then go win a SB with a 6th round QB like Brady.

 

 

That, people, is how you think outside the box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2019 at 9:54 AM, Imgrandojji said:

Before Belichick had Brady, he had a losing record as a Head Coach.  It's entirely possible that Brady made Belichick.

 

Brady would have zero rings without that elite HC/Defense combo he has had basically his entire career.

 

Belichick without Brady since 2001:  15-5.  That's pretty good compared to the 2-14 record of the Colts without Manning in 2011.

 

I don't think Brady could put a mediocre team on his back and carry it to the playoffs the way Manning used to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Each time he had a good defense Manning was virtually unstoppable. Brady always had great players on both sides because Belichek is a master of developing playets 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • For you to say eye test, you'd have to watch them all play college football and weight that, because that's all they have in common.    And you can't assume none could improve a NFL record from the previous year without giving them the opportunity to do so.    It's like saying a caterpillar doesn't pass the eye test vs the butterfly when it comes to flying.... . 
    • I was critical of Luck when he did bad. Bad is bad. The overwhelming majority of his product performance was good though. JB just has good moments, and isn't even good at many of the basics.    Like I said, it's like dating. JB is like the girl that's OK looking, cooks bland, boring conversationalist, isn't great in bed, but never ever accidentally farts (INTs) when company is over. She's very happy with you because you've treated her better than anyone else ever has. You hate to break her heart and dump her because she's not horrible, but you just want more.   Give me the girl that makes her chili on the hot side, a bit naughty, makes me laugh, and I'll put up with the occasional stinker when the neighbors come by.
    • probably gotta be Wilson or Murray, and I'd lean more towards Murray. Did you start Engram afterall?
    • If they suck, they suck. You keep looking for the right one until you find the right one. It's just like dating.    Whoever it is, they'll be coming into a good situation. 
    • Be careful what you wish for, it may not be as good as what you had is the old saying. JB isn't Luck but he may be better than anyone we can draft this season. After having Peyton and Luck I just feel like this forum will be critical of anyone. There were several good posters on here critical of Luck because he followed Peyton  
  • Members

    • esmort

      esmort 1,594

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • 2006Coltsbestever

      2006Coltsbestever 24,431

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • EastStreet

      EastStreet 2,569

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CR91

      CR91 9,134

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Freenyfan102

      Freenyfan102 213

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Solon

      Solon 563

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • T-Cubed

      T-Cubed 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • stitches

      stitches 6,185

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Hoose

      Hoose 844

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ReMeDy

      ReMeDy 2,743

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...