Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You're the new Colts GM, choose your franchise QB.

Lucky Colts Fan

3 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I hate to say it, but this is a no brainer.  Guy has been to 9 Super Bowls in 18 seasons...winning 6.

Nobody else comes close.

Reread the OP again.

This isn't a discussion of past accomplishments, or who the greatest QB ever is.

It's about who can do the most with the least help from his coaches, defense, and supporting cast on offense.  Brady has never had an average coach.  Or an average defense, really.

2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

You are the new GM of the Colts, but the ONLY thing you get to choose is your franchise QB, and it can be any QB in history in their prime.

You are saddled with an average coaching staff, average defense, and average supporting cast on offense.  Your QB has to carry your team.

You want to win the SB this year.  What QB in their prime would you choose?

Well.....the closest thing to an actual precedent for answering this question makes me throw up in my mouth.....

"His teams had an overall record of 68 wins, 71 losses, and four ties, 64–64–4 in 132 starts, and 4–7 in relief. He completed 1,886 passes for 27,663 yards, threw 173 touchdowns, and had 220 interceptions, for a career passer rating of 65.5"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Andrew no question. No one did more with such little talent. Peyton twice had above average oline, hof wrs and rbs and talented wrs in Thomas, welker, and Decker

I always felt that there wasnt any other QB that could handle pressure the way he did. He would be my choice as well. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I would choose Manning.

He was the ultimate Field General.

He could read a defense better than anyone, call the right play, and get the ball where it needed to be when it needed to be there.

Correct on Peyton, not even debatable no QB is capable of doing more with less. Mahomes possibly but needs to prove it. I think after watching our game againt the chiefs it ahowed Mahomes can be rattled by pressure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Andrew took a trash roster to an AFC championship game in only his third year. You really think if andrew had tbe line and running game we have now, he wouldnt get to a super bowl?

Strong possibility he never wins one, yes. 

Just because he took a trash roster to a blowout in the afc championship game, doesn't mean he was capable of leading a well rounded team through the playoffs. He still forced plays, still struggled in big games... and he retired, so we'll never know. 

We do know what Peyton Manning did though. He won with more injury riddled teams with little depth. With today's rules, Peyton's offenses would have dominated more than they ever did. They were a little too far ahead of their time. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Strong possibility he never wins one, yes. 

Just because he took a trash roster to a blowout in the afc championship game, doesn't mean he was capable of leading a well rounded team through the playoffs. He still forced plays, still struggled in big games... and he retired, so we'll never know. 

We do know what Peyton Manning did though. He won with more injury riddled teams with little depth. With today's rules, Peyton's offenses would have dominated more than they ever did. They were a little too far ahead of their time. 

And what exactly did peyton do in the playoffs? He didnt win his first playoff game til his 6th year. Gone one and done 9 times. Andrew only went one and done once and that was his rookie year

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Really?  Easy?  How is it easy?  Most people here never saw him play.   His days in Baltimore he never had average coach,  defense or offensive talent.   Im not suggesting he wasn't great,   but he wasn't asked to do what qbs of today are asked to do, and he had great talent all around him. 60's era qbs heads would explode trying to play today's game. 

Very easy.  And I've seen them all play since him.  So it's easy for me.  Just because you haven't seen him play doesn't disqualify him.  To suggest any players from an earlier era were not smart enough to handle today's game is ridiculous.  There heads would explode.  Nonsense.  I will take Unitas in his prime any day.  And I would bet many of today's QB's would have a tougher time doing well playing under the old rules from the 50's and 60's including Brady.  The new rules make it much easier for the QB's to gather stats and throw TD passes today.  Unitas would love to play with these rules.   A far cry from what it was like to be a QB in the 50's and 60's.  No hesitation it's Unitas for me. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Very easy.  And I've seen them all play since him.  So it's easy for me.  Just because you haven't seen him play doesn't disqualify him.  To suggest any players from an earlier era were not smart enough to handle today's game is ridiculous.  There heads would explode.  Nonsense.  I will take Unitas in his prime any day.  And I would bet many of today's QB's would have a tougher time doing well playing under the old rules from the 50's and 60's including Brady.  The new rules make it much easier for the QB's to gather stats and throw TD passes today.  Unitas would love to play with these rules.   A far cry from what it was like to be a QB in the 50's and 60's.  No hesitation it's Unitas for me. 

Yeah,   Peyton was better

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CR91 said:

And what exactly did peyton do in the playoffs? He didnt win his first playoff game til his 6th year. Gone one and done 9 times. Andrew only went one and done once and that was his rookie year

Idk, just 4 superbowl appearances and 2 championships. You know, way more than Andrew Luck...

This isn't even a winnable argument. You aren't convincing anyone on this forum. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CR91 said:

90% of the time when we went one and done it wasnt Peyton Manning's fault.

15 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

You are the new GM of the Colts, but the ONLY thing you get to choose is your franchise QB, and it can be any QB in history in their prime.

You are saddled with an average coaching staff, average defense, and average supporting cast on offense.  Your QB has to carry your team.

You want to win the SB this year.  What QB in their prime would you choose?

Yeah, gotta be Tom Brady.  There's other guys out there you could make an argument for, Peyton is certainly up there as a very good option, but if the goal is to win the Superbowl the guy who did it 6 times has to be on the top of the list.

14 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

Bellicheck MADE Brady, without him Brady isn’t nearly as good. 

Really can't know that.  

Before Belichick had Brady, he had a losing record as a Head Coach.  It's entirely possible that Brady made Belichick.

Although I choose to believe they made each other.  Tom may not have gotten his chance in the first place if it wasn't for Belichick.  On the other hand the Patriots definitely don't win either of their first 2 Superbowls without Brady's clutch last minute drives that set up AV for game winning field goals.  That level of success doesn't happen unless both the coach and the QB are elevating each other.

14 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Peyton with Belichick for his entire career would have been epic.

I'm not convinced it would have been that different.   Brady and Peyton are about equal in raw talent. 

Brady has surgical accuracy and possibly the best field vision the NFL has ever seen.    He was born to be a short pass, ball control possession QB, and that's a valuable set of talents the NFL doesn't always scout for.  And Brady is one of the best in NFL history at that style of ball. 

Manning has command presence and the big arm and more than enough accuracy in his own right to be great.  He plays less ball control and connects for big throws more often. 

As they matured both could play either style of course.  That's how it is with masters of the craft.  It comes down to a question of preferences.

Either of them with great coaching are going to win big games for you.  Unfortunately for Manning, Brady had better coaching behind him over his career.

22 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I'm not convinced it would have been that different.   Brady and Peyton are about equal in raw talent. 

Brady has surgical accuracy and possibly the best field vision the NFL has ever seen.    He was born to be a short pass, ball control possession QB, and that's a valuable set of talents the NFL doesn't always scout for.  And Brady is one of the best in NFL history at that style of ball. 

Manning has command presence and the big arm and more than enough accuracy in his own right to be great.  He plays less ball control and connects for big throws more often. 

As they matured both could play either style of course.  That's how it is with masters of the craft.  It comes down to a question of preferences.

Either of them with great coaching are going to win big games for you.  Unfortunately for Manning, Brady had better coaching behind him over his career.

I think choosing between Tom Brady, Joe Montana, and Peyton is about impossible. They were all above everyone else IMO and that is the top 3 QB's of all-time. I chose Peyton regarding this topic because I would trust him running my offense as much as I would the other 2 guys. I think had Peyton had Belichick his entire career he very well could've won 6 SB's like Tom has. Peyton still won 2 SB's which only 11 other QB's have done. Peyton went to a SB with John Fox and Jim Caldwell as coach and won one with Gary Kubiak coaching lmao . Only real coach he ever had was Dungy.

5 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Idk, just 4 superbowl appearances and 2 championships. You know, way more than Andrew Luck...

This isn't even a winnable argument. You aren't convincing anyone on this forum. 

I know its a loseable battle

14 hours ago, CR91 said:

Peyton was the far superior player.   And it isn't close

• Like 2

On 10/19/2019 at 9:37 PM, TimetobringDfence! said:

Correct on Peyton, not even debatable no QB is capable of doing more with less. Mahomes possibly but needs to prove it. I think after watching our game againt the chiefs it ahowed Mahomes can be rattled by pressure.

Doesn’t mean they are better quarterbacks, but Elway, Marino, and Luck all did more with less.

I would sign Manning.  Use him to hire better coaches, then trade Manning for a Good QB, a great oline and and a couple of great LBers (yes Manning is good enough to make that trade) and then go win a SB with a 6th round QB like Brady.

That, people, is how you think outside the box.

On 10/20/2019 at 9:54 AM, Imgrandojji said:

Before Belichick had Brady, he had a losing record as a Head Coach.  It's entirely possible that Brady made Belichick.

Brady would have zero rings without that elite HC/Defense combo he has had basically his entire career.

Belichick without Brady since 2001:  15-5.  That's pretty good compared to the 2-14 record of the Colts without Manning in 2011.

I don't think Brady could put a mediocre team on his back and carry it to the playoffs the way Manning used to do.