Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
CurBeatElite

4 year anniversary of the worst play in NFL history

10 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Meh, Tracy Porter SB interception is way higher than this.

I kind of agree, context matters and there was no context to Pagano's Brainfart.  It didn't cost the Colts a game, they were already training, Pagano was trying to drive down the field and did something stupid in a situation where there wasn't very much to lose anyway.

When it comes to the worst play in NFL history I think it starts with Matt Ryan dropping back and getting sacked out of field goal range in SB51 and kind of goes from there.  That one has it all, terrible idea, bizarre execution and terrible consequences, since it basically gave the game away.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Okay, maybe I am just too much of an amateur .I admit it was a bad play. But " The worst play in the history of the NFL ?!" I think back to when the Saints were caught trying to intentionally maim and cripple opposing quarterbacks ( WITH a $50,000 BOUNTY if they succeeded )! I think back to blatant obviously intentional facemasks !I think back to Superbowls being lost by "The best kicker in the NFL" missing a 29 yard field goal ! I remember a "hidden ball play that resulted in a touchdown, but it was disallowed because the play was SO GOOD that the Umpires has blown the ball dead, thinking it was at the bottom of a pile ! I think back to games where I saw quarterbacks left in the game, when they obviously had nothing more to give ( and proved it ) ! I recall a game where the ball was thrown to a running back , who stood there, arms wide, and made NO ATTEMPT to catch the ball. Later he said " I am a RUNNING back ! I don't CATCH footballs !" So , like I said, maybe an just to inexperienced, but it does not seem to me that this was "The worst play in the history of the NFL !"

5 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I kind of agree, context matters and there was no context to Pagano's Brainfart.  It didn't cost the Colts a game, they were already training, Pagano was trying to drive down the field and did something stupid in a situation where there wasn't very much to lose anyway.

When it comes to the worst play in NFL history I think it starts with Matt Ryan dropping back and getting sacked out of field goal range in SB51 and kind of goes from there.  That one has it all, terrible idea, bizarre execution and terrible consequences, since it basically gave the game away.

Sorry for the ninja edit, not as familiar with posting pics via phone.

Context does matter, but as far as Colts worst plays, there are few plays more gut wrenching than this one. The fake punt was just the microcosm and punctuation of a bad gm/hc combo.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Sorry for the ninja edit, not as familiar with posting pics via phone.

Context does matter, but as far as Colts worst plays, there are few plays more gut wrenching than this one. The fake punt was just the microcosm and punctuation of a bad gm/hc combo.

I agree, as far as Colts worst plays go, but throwing away our last chance at another Superbowl is right up there.

• Like 1

Had Peyton completed that comeback vs the Saints, his GOAT status would be much higher. It should've never came down to that drive because some knucklehead couldn't recover on onsides kick but it did. Peyton should have 3 SB wins IMO but 2 is still great.

• Like 2

That play was literally the best example of the Chuck Pagano era which imo was the worst era in Colts history. Why? Because we had one of the best talented QBs of all time... it really makes me appreciate Frank and Ballard that much more. You cant argue how much coaching matters when you see the difference in coaching staffs. But I will end with it there. I spent 2 years talking about that era coming to an end.  

• Like 2

What I will say, is that play has zero effect on my life. I am not embarrassed by it, saddened by it, nor angered by it. It is history. It was a play, that was not executed correctly by the personnel on the field at the time. It is over. End of story. 

• Like 1

That fake punt play itself was dumb but it did not affect the Colts season in reality. It did not cost the Colts a playoff win or SB win. To be honest I rarely think about this play. I think of Peyton's pick 6 in SB 44 much more than a dumb fake punt play.

• Like 1

Hardly the worst play of all time.  Seattle passing it on the goal line in the Super Bowl ranks up there.  Pretty much all of Atlanta's 4th quarter in their Super Bowl would apply. 

Then there's this:

It was a bad play, but at least there's some thinking behind it.  Execution was horrible, lots of miscommunication, but I'd hardly call it the worst play of all time

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Hardly the worst play of all time.  Seattle passing it on the goal line in the Super Bowl ranks up there.  Pretty much all of Atlanta's 4th quarter in their Super Bowl would apply. 

Then there's this:

It was a bad play, but at least there's some thinking behind it.  Execution was horrible, lots of miscommunication, but I'd hardly call it the worst play of all time

I rank Wilson's INT at the goaline #1 worse. Seattle basically gave away a SB by not running the ball. They had the game in the bag.

• Like 1

We ought to line up in it, just for old time sake.

Then call a timeout, of course.

We shoulda done it when Chuck was in town too.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

We ought to line up in it, just for old time sake.

Then call a timeout, of course.

We shoulda done it when Chuck was in town too.

If we have the lead over Houston at the end of the game to run the clock out, we should line up like that play and just down it lmao 

I had absolutely no respect for Pagano after that play. If the player was injured who practiced the play then don't run the play.  

1 hour ago, superrep1967 said:

I had absolutely no respect for Pagano after that play. If the player was injured who practiced the play then don't run the play.  

I was mad at Pagano but not for calling the play. He is not the one who called the play. 

The only thing Pagano was guilty of was not calling a timeout when he should have.

10 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Pagano wasn't really involved.  After the play, you could see him on the sidelines saying "why did he snap it?", so I wouldn't say the responsibility fell on him

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Pagano wasn't really involved.  After the play, you could see him on the sidelines saying "why did he snap it?", so I wouldn't say the responsibility fell on him

Don't you know by now almost everyone loved blaming Chuck for everything lmao 

25 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

The guy snapped it because he never practiced it...why they ran the play with someone who didn’t know not to snap it is behind me.

This play is definitely the worst play in history to me. We were only down 7 against the Pats and we had momentum. This play is ran and the rest of the game goes to %. I never forgave Pagano and Grigson for their time here and plays this are a big reason why.

• Like 1

Rival and casual fans will always remember that one, regardless of the circumstances. Not a bright spot in Colts history.

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I rank Wilson's INT at the goaline #1 worse. Seattle basically gave away a SB by not running the ball. They had the game in the bag.

Agree with you and it’s not even close. You could say the same for Atlanta:up by 8 on NEs 20 something with like 4:00 left. Even if they get 5 yards, they could go up by 11 with 2:00 and change or less. But as far one play, I’ve never seen one worse, in terms of play calling.

Marshall’s “wrong way” fumble recovery was up there with the best of them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Agree with you and it’s not even close. You could say the same for Atlanta:up by 8 on NEs 20 something with like 4:00 left. Even if they get 5 yards, they could go up by 11 with 2:00 and change or less. But as far one play, I’ve never seen one worse, in terms of play calling.

Marshall’s “wrong way” fumble recovery was up there with the best of them.

The wrong way football fumble was unreal. Yeah Wilson's INT was the worst IMO. 

I love being reminded of this every year.  Just feels right somehow.  Keeps me humble.  Plus it honors the past while promoting the future.

18 hours ago, colt18 said:

The guy snapped it because he never practiced it...why they ran the play with someone who didn’t know not to snap it is behind me.

This play is definitely the worst play in history to me. We were only down 7 against the Pats and we had momentum. This play is ran and the rest of the game goes to %. I never forgave Pagano and Grigson for their time here and plays this are a big reason why.

Yes, thanks for saying this that's exactly what I was saying. 

• Like 1

No amount of words, counter-examples, rationalizations, or clever explanations can get around the fact that this was THE single dumbest/worst play in NFL history. 

• Haha 1