Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best decade teams


CR91

Recommended Posts

60s Packers

70s Steelers

80s 49ers

90s Cowboys

00s Colts

10s Patriots

 

With 2020 right around the corner, the NFL will have six decades of teams that dominated in their respected era, but who was the best decade team.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been watching since the late 70's. I would say the best all-around team I have seen are the 1992 Dallas Cowboys. That was before Free Agency and that team had so much depth. They had a huge Offensive Line which compares to today's O.line's in size that would dominate games, they had a extremely fast defense - it was #1 in the league that season, and Jimmy Johnson was a great coach. Aikman, Smith, and Irvin were the unstoppable triplets.

 

Regarding the 2006 Colts, we can hang with any of the great teams that have won SB's because we had Peyton. Our defense was also great in the playoffs that season. Bob Sanders, Freeney, and Mathis took care of business in the playoffs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to say it’s the 49ers but they used to own the Redskins who were also an all decade caliber team. They would have more than 1 more championship in the decade if it weren’t for the 49ers just having their number. Then the Byner Fumble II also ugh...

 

The Steelers had 1 SB season where they threw the ball alot more than people remember so so much for that myth that their quarterback wasn’t good. Both of their quarterbacks were good. That’s why there was a quarterback controversy over the job to start with!


The Cowboys used to do what the 49ers did to the Redskins to the Packers and the best player in the sport at the time. And on “off” weeks they did the same thing to the 49ers all but that 1 year.


Sorry guys it’s not the Colts. The Pats deserve the 2000s spot tbh. They might not deserve the 2010s spot but of course 2 teams had to blow it worse than the SuperSonics did against the Nuggets that year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The team of the decade of the 2000's (2000-2009) was the Patriots, they won 3 SB's and roughly the same amount of games as the Colts did during that decade. Colts were the 2nd best team overall during the decade though. I would like to see match ups like this per decade:

 

70's - 78 Steelers vs 72 Dolphins = Steelers won 4 SB's that decade (78 was their best team), Dolphins went undefeated in 72.

 

80's - 89 49ers vs 85 Bears = 49ers won 4 SB's that decade (89 was their best team), the 85 Bears were as dominant as it gets.

 

90's - 92 Cowboys vs 98 Broncos = Cowboys won 3 SB's that decade (92 was their best team), the 98 Broncos were really great as well going 14-2 with Elway. I believe had Jimmy Johnson not left the Cowboys, the 49ers would have never beat them. 49ers beat the Cowboys once with Young at QB and that was the season Barry was the Cowboys coach. Cowboys also beat the Packers that decade like 7 times in a row.

 

2000's - 2004 Patriots vs 2006 Colts = No explanation needed.

 

2010's - 2014 Patriots vs 2011 Giants = You know why I would want to see this, it is because the Giants and Eli beat Tom and the Pats twice in the SB. The 2014 Patriots were the Pats best team by far this decade winning 3 SB's overall in the 2010's.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, buccolts said:

Yeah, the 00s only belonged to the Colts in the minds of Colts fans.

Yep....had the Colts won 2 or 3 SBs...which they had a legitimate shot at, we could make that claim. I don't like those b*** in NE one bit... but the 00s belong to them too.

 

However, since the AFC East has been an overflowing gas station toilet of a division, almost guaranteeing the Patriots a division title and a jump start to home field advantage the entire time.....

 

....I'm going with the 90s edition of the Cowboys since the NFC East also produced Lombardis out of the Giants and Redskins in that decade as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2019 at 2:28 AM, CR91 said:

60s Packers

70s Steelers

80s 49ers

90s Cowboys

00s Colts

10s Patriots

 

With 2020 right around the corner, the NFL will have six decades of teams that dominated in their respected era, but who was the best decade team.

 
Unfortunately , the Patriots are also the  team of the 00’s with three Super Bowls. The Steelers had two. The Colts had one , and  had  a nice run of division titles, and another SB appearance. However , to be the team of a decade, it’s about championship wins. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Teams who were literally a few plays away from this were the 60 Browns, 60s Eagles, 70s Raiders, 70s Cowboys, 80s Redskins, 80s Giants, 90s Packers, 90s Bills, 90s Lions (yes believe it or not), 00s Colts.

The lions won 1 playoff game the 90s.  They weren't a few plays away from being the best team of the decade

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Teams who were literally a few plays away from this were the 60 Browns, 60s Eagles, 70s Raiders, 70s Cowboys, 80s Redskins, 80s Giants, 90s Packers, 90s Bills, 90s Lions (yes believe it or not), 00s Colts.

Now, if you went over a 13 year period, 1958- 1971 , the Baltimore Colts were right there with anyone. 
1958 NFL Champions

1959 NFL Champions

1964 Lost NFL Championship game to Browns

1965 Finished 10-3-1 and lost controversial field goal to Green Bay

1967 Finished 11-1-2, but lost tie breaker to Rams at 11-1-2 and missed playoffs 

1968 NFL Champions 

1968 Lost Super Bowl 3

1970 Super Bowl 5 Champions

1971 Lost AFC Championship game to Dolphins. 
 

Three NFL Championships and one Super Bowl win. Not a bad run . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2019 at 8:52 PM, jvan1973 said:

The lions won 1 playoff game the 90s.  They weren't a few plays away from being the best team of the decade


Right on time with a robotic, unbothered to even look at the big picture answer like always.

 

They made it to the NFC Championship game that year and lost to the eventual champions the Redskins who belong on the 80s ballot even though they weren’t the team (49ers their only reason), and lost all of their other playoff games to the 90s Packers who were only ever beat by the 90s Cowboys besides the 1998 sham against the 49ers. Meanwhile 1 of those Packers games they only lost on a miracle bomb. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2019 at 9:16 PM, The Old Crow said:

Now, if you went over a 13 year period, 1958- 1971 , the Baltimore Colts were right there with anyone. 
1958 NFL Champions

1959 NFL Champions

1964 Lost NFL Championship game to Browns

1965 Finished 10-3-1 and lost controversial field goal to Green Bay

1967 Finished 11-1-2, but lost tie breaker to Rams at 11-1-2 and missed playoffs 

1968 NFL Champions 

1968 Lost Super Bowl 3

1970 Super Bowl 5 Champions

1971 Lost AFC Championship game to Dolphins. 
 

Three NFL Championships and one Super Bowl win. Not a bad run . 


The Colts would probably be the 50s choice but I admit I can’t recall all those NFL champions. Definitely on the ballot in the 60s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2019 at 6:28 PM, BloodyChamp said:


The Colts would probably be the 50s choice but I admit I can’t recall all those NFL champions. Definitely on the ballot in the 60s.


Unfortunately, the Colts didn’t get good until the end of the 50’s. Still, they had two NFL Championships in 58 and 59. Cleveland and Detroit actually had three NFL Championships in the 1950’s. 
Baltimore was close in the 60’s also. They should have beaten the Browns in 1964, the refs gave Green Bay the playoff win over the Colts in 1965, and in 1967, we didn’t even make the playoffs going 11-1-2. They won the NFL Championship in 1968, going 13-1, and blowing out the Browns 34-0. How we ever lost to the Jets in that SB will haunt me to my grave. 
What could have been for the Baltimore Colts ?

1958 NFL Champs

1959 NFL Champs 

1964 NFL Champs * Browns won

1965 NFL Champs * Packers won

1967 NFL Champs * Packers won

1968 NFL Champs

1968 Super Bowl 3 Champs * Jets won 

1970 Super Bowl 5 Champs 
 

Baltimore was favored in 1964 and 1968. If only Shula could have got it done here like he did in Miami. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:


Unfortunately, the Colts didn’t get good until the end of the 50’s. Still, they had two NFL Championships in 58 and 59. Cleveland and Detroit actually had three NFL Championships in the 1950’s. 
Baltimore was close in the 60’s also. They should have beaten the Browns in 1964, the refs gave Green Bay the playoff win over the Colts in 1965, and in 1967, we didn’t even make the playoffs going 11-1-2. They won the NFL Championship in 1968, going 13-1, and blowing out the Browns 34-0. How we ever lost to the Jets in that SB will haunt me to my grave. 
What could have been for the Baltimore Colts ?

1958 NFL Champs

1959 NFL Champs 

1964 NFL Champs * Browns won

1965 NFL Champs * Packers won

1967 NFL Champs * Packers won

1968 NFL Champs

1968 Super Bowl 3 Champs * Jets won 

1970 Super Bowl 5 Champs 
 

Baltimore was favored in 1964 and 1968. If only Shula could have got it done here like he did in Miami. 

How the 68 Colts lost is still mind boggling to me. I have watched the full game on ESPN and Morrall played so terrible vs the Jets.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

How the 68 Colts lost is still mind boggling to me. I have watched the full game on ESPN and Morrall played so terrible vs the Jets.


He was NFL MVP in 1968. If he had played any type of decent game , we win. One of the worst performances ever. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...