Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Should he get his spot back?

At this point I see him as a situational player he has a role, but i would like to see Willis get more reps he needs to build more cohesion with the rest of the secondary since he is the future. I think Geathers days here are very numbered. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point, I see him not on the 2020 roster. 
 

Dude is just to fragile. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Willis imo will get on the field while Geathers continues to play closer to the LOS

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he is the kind of veteran that would make a good backup. Will he be willing to accept the backup role. So far he hasn’t been injured really. Don’t think one game with a concussion is a big deal. IF he is willing to take a backup roll yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MPStack said:

At this point, I see him not on the 2020 roster. 
 

Dude is just to fragile. 

 

I see another safety drafted in the first 4 rounds... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cracks me up to hear fans call an NFL player fragile.    Get real

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Willis has more upside, and is probably better than Geathers right now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MPStack said:

At this point, I see him not on the 2020 roster. 
 

Dude is just to fragile. 

You’re definitely correct, but he brings needed leadership this year.  A great dude.  Next year, Kenny Moore and Willis are the leaders of that secondary.  Should work...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MPStack said:

At this point, I see him not on the 2020 roster. 
 

Dude is just to fragile. 

Are you talking about Hooker being to fragile?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Blueblood23 said:

Are you talking about Hooker being to fragile?

Huh? This is Geathers thread, why would he be talking about Hooker?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Huh? This is Geathers thread, why would he be talking about Hooker?

I know, but aren't they both fragile?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He shouldn’t. Did he do anything wrong? No. But neither did Alex Smith, Drew Bledsoe, etc...

 

We need to see what we really have in Willis. He’s made some impressive plays up until this point, but is he a true difference maker? I hear Grant Delpit is dropping on a lot of boards and even after that there is some goood SS talent. Willis needs to show that the Colts don’t need to draft another safety early.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Willis had one good game. 

Yes, you may be on to something. However, SS Heather's is a nice player however, we have only seen him pick off 1 INT in his career, done this year. Heather's Isn't great in coverage at all compared to Willis. I personally would have resigned SS Farley before Geathers. I think Farley wasn't resigned do to assisting with the friendly fire injury to Hooker. Jmho.

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

Yes, you may be on to something. However, SS Heather's is a nice player however, we have only seen him pick off 1 INT in his career, done this year. Heather's Isn't great in coverage at all compared to Willis. I personally would have resigned SS Farley before Geathers. I think Farley wasn't resigned do to assisting with the friendly fire injury to Hooker. Jmho.

 

 Chuckle. Farley got $3M. If he made the 53 man roster. Ballard Fired him.
Maybe it was performance, maybe it was the $3M. He got his shot.

 For whatever reason, Willis is making plays, Geathers has been late to show up, play afer play.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Willis had one good game. 

Actually he had two. But he’s been making plays every time. Huge TFL’s that we never see from Geathers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

I know, but aren't they both fragile?

 

Geathers gets injured because of his aggressive playing style, Hooker gets injured because when a giant man falls into your knee, bad things are going to happen. Neither is "fragile" IMO.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Actually he had two. But he’s been making plays every time. Huge TFL’s that we never see from Geathers.

 

I'm not a fan of geathers I just think it should take longer than a couple great games. If he keeps mak in ng plays into 4 to 5 games I'm all for him starting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2019 at 6:50 PM, MPStack said:

At this point, I see him not on the 2020 roster. 
 

Dude is just to fragile. 

You do realize the coaches and organization made him a Captain!? Have you ever had that title in your fantastic life?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

 

I'm not a fan of geathers I just think it should take longer than a couple great games. If he keeps mak in ng plays into 4 to 5 games I'm all for him starting. 

He’s a young player. With young players you have to play them when they start getting hot. Plus you have to put the best players on the field. Right now Willis is making more impactful plays right now and he’s got more upside, so he needs to play. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Yes, you may be on to something. However, SS Heather's is a nice player however, we have only seen him pick off 1 INT in his career, done this year. Heather's Isn't great in coverage at all compared to Willis. I personally would have resigned SS Farley before Geathers. I think Farley wasn't resigned do to assisting with the friendly fire injury to Hooker. Jmho.

 
sweet baby Jesus - that is all kids of funny and wrong. 
 

You clearly don’t realize that Farley was brought back this year before he was cut in training camp. 
 

And your friendly fire comment could not be be more off base. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't trust Geathers anymore is takes to many wiff and when his miss his assignment his misses and he also bites on the play action pass to easy. When he is on he is on but most of the time he is a liability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's too early to crown Willis. Love what he's doing, but it's early. Let's not forget KC's O was crippled, and our DBs were basically going up against 2nd string WRs and a hobbled QB.

 

I'm not a huge fan of Geathers anyway, but he is a great team guy. I actually questioned him getting a "C" on his jersey, and got crucified by the "Ballard/Reich know best" crew. Now folks are calling for him to be benched, and perhaps not be on the 2020 roster.... Funny how tides shift quickly with the knee jerks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think it's too early to crown Willis. Love what he's doing, but it's early. Let's not forget KC's O was crippled, and our DBs were basically going up against 2nd string WRs and a hobbled QB.

 

I'm not a huge fan of Geathers anyway, but he is a great team guy. I actually questioned him getting a "C" on his jersey, and got crucified by the "Ballard/Reich know best" crew. Now folks are calling for him to be benched, and perhaps not be on the 2020 roster.... Funny how tides shift quickly with the knee jerks.


Geathers being elected a captain (by his tram mates, not Ballard / Reich) and whether Willis is ready to take his spot are two separate conversations. Both can be true. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Geathers being elected a captain (by his tram mates, not Ballard / Reich) and whether Willis is ready to take his spot are two separate conversations. Both can be true. 

 

I am overall critical of players voting for all 5 spots. Like I said before, I think it should either be coach elected, or 50/50 split. Simply my opinion, but a C pinned on a guy that is not "proven", or someone that is vulnerable to be displaced by a rook (or other), is a recipe for trouble. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

 

I am overall critical of players voting for all 5 spots. Like I said before, I think it should either be coach elected, or 50/50 split. Simply my opinion, but a C pinned on a guy that is not "proven", or someone that is vulnerable to be displaced by a rook (or other), is a recipe for trouble. 

 

Sorry, just pretty much disagree completely on everything.

 

In no way should the coaches or front office dictate who should be captains.  THAT is a recipe for trouble.  A good coach and front office guy would want this to be the case.

 

Geathers has proven himself over and over again.  Read the stories on what he went through to be able to play last year.  That is a guy worthy of following and being a captain.  I don't think that changes the least little bit if he is replaced by Willis.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i would go with willis in the base set, not a hard decision.  hes good against the run too so that could make it hard for geathers to get on the field.  maybe if we want to go all in against the run on a play, sit hooker and put geathers in 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

 

Sorry, just pretty much disagree completely on everything.

 

In no way should the coaches or front office dictate who should be captains.  THAT is a recipe for trouble.  A good coach and front office guy would want this to be the case.

 

Geathers has proven himself over and over again.  Read the stories on what he went through to be able to play last year.  That is a guy worthy of following and being a captain.  I don't think that changes the least little bit if he is replaced by Willis.  

 

Not sure if you've ever coached anything, but you might have a different opinion if you had. 

 

I'm a fan of Geathers (the man), just like I'm a fan of JB (the man). I think the Colt's team is the kind of team that will make the right choices (in terms of choosing high character guys), but not all teams are, and player elected Cs aren't always the best picks. Hill for instance was a C for KC.... 

 

And believe me, when a very popular (within the team) vet player is displaced by someone new, there is can absolutely be a risk to team chemistry. And it can get more complicated if that guy is also a C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I think it's too early to crown Willis. Love what he's doing, but it's early. Let's not forget KC's O was crippled, and our DBs were basically going up against 2nd string WRs and a hobbled QB.

 

I'm not a huge fan of Geathers anyway, but he is a great team guy. I actually questioned him getting a "C" on his jersey, and got crucified by the "Ballard/Reich know best" crew. Now folks are calling for him to be benched, and perhaps not be on the 2020 roster.... Funny how tides shift quickly with the knee jerks.

Nothing about the injuries KC had contributed to him using incredible instincts and play recognition to come flying down from the box for TFL’s. He’s also outperformed every rookie in our 2020 class by miles. No one is crowning him but it would be foolish not to let him start to see the extent of what he can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jskinnz said:

 
sweet baby Jesus - that is all kids of funny and wrong. 
 

You clearly don’t realize that Farley was brought back this year before he was cut in training camp. 
 

And your friendly fire comment could not be be more off base. 

You said a whole lot of nothing. Obviously I knew that Farley was brought in before being cut. So what was your point? You just disagreed with my opinion. Np but you haven't made any relavent contribution to the post. "Sweet baby jesus" why though? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

You said a whole lot of nothing. Obviously I knew that Farley was brought in before being cut. So what was your point? You just disagreed with my opinion. Np but you haven't made any relavent contribution to the post. "Sweet baby jesus" why though? 


help me understand your friendly fire comment with regards to Farley and Hooker and somehow that relating to farley not being resigned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jskinnz said:


help me understand your friendly fire comment with regards to Farley and Hooker and somehow that relating to farley not being resigned. 

Well let's see. Who was Ballard's first pick as GM? Hooker. Once again, this selection was a bit of a surprise on many fronts. Never the less. Moving forward. I totally understand that injuries happen all the time. However, with both these things mentioned, I could clearly see that if friendly fire caused the injury of a KEY player on your team, in the back of your subconscious, you will remember all which was mentioned. This guy darn near caused my first pick in the draft (my first pick ever as GM) his playing career. 

 

Plus, if the same said guy isn't producing more than what he is (causing injury to your own team), I'm sure Chris Ballard knows and remember all of this.

 

Now I'll play the flip side of the coin. Perhaps CB wanted to get younger at the position. Maybe a rookie earning $300k-$700k is worth more than paying Farley a few mill.? I'll say this, we are thin at the position (safety). We need someone who knows the defense. So why isn't Farley on the team? Maybe it was that friendly fire to your first pick, your Key player?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think they signed farley to that contract as insurance, and then let him go because they were able to get willis 

 

probably over simplified but thats the jist of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2019 at 8:34 AM, EastStreet said:

 

Not sure if you've ever coached anything, but you might have a different opinion if you had. 

 

I'm a fan of Geathers (the man), just like I'm a fan of JB (the man). I think the Colt's team is the kind of team that will make the right choices (in terms of choosing high character guys), but not all teams are, and player elected Cs aren't always the best picks. Hill for instance was a C for KC.... 

 

And believe me, when a very popular (within the team) vet player is displaced by someone new, there is can absolutely be a risk to team chemistry. And it can get more complicated if that guy is also a C.

 

I can't speak for Jskinns, but I have coached and pretty much anything past the peewee/middle school level the players know who the leaders are, this is absolutely true past high school.  If the coaches want to pick captains, that's fine, but it better match what the players already know to be true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cynjin said:

 

I can't speak for Jskinns, but I have coached and pretty much anything past the peewee/middle school level the players know who the leaders are, this is absolutely true past high school.  If the coaches want to pick captains, that's fine, but it better match what the players already know to be true.

 

I think there needs to be a good balance. And I absolutely agree it's best when they match up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • To go right along with your tired argument, again.
    • Jacoby is good, hes not great, hes not elite.  In time, with the right team around him and the right coaching he might be great, but probably never elite.     Past few years hes been a very good backup, just because he was thrust into a starting role doesnt mean his skillset automatically makes the leap with him.  The demands on that skillset do, but the set is the same.   I like Jacoby alot, I'm glad we have him.  I honestly believe hes the right guy for right now.  Given the circumstances we couldn't have done better and I've really enjoyed watching him this year.  But hes a "top 20" qb in the best assessment of the people around him.  Not exactly glowing, but probably pretty fair.   The clock ticks on these mid talent dudes tho.  Unfortunately, as time moves on, his flaws will probably become more apparent than his strengths.   I'm not saying he cant improve, it's just that I believe those improvements will be marginal at best.  At this level there are so many intangibles, physical traits, mental acuity, etc that all eventually top out long before things like desire, skill, leadership, and work ethic.   If hes going to succeed it's not going to be on his own.  It will be as much about the team they build around him, and a scheme that continues to feature what he does best.  It's a much tougher proposition and it's going to lead to neverending debate in forums like these.  But its not ever going to be all about jacoby.    
    • His pod casts are always a good listen. I'm at work so I cant dig through and give you the exact spot right now but the whole thing is good if you cant get enough colts info.   
    • That’s because he through 3 INT. We didn’t come close to losing because of one missed point. Miami’s offense was given 13 points and didn’t even have to move the ball  much to get a FG.     Read the post. I said the Pitt game. As for the Miami game we lost by less that the TD Ebron  botched but I didn't refer to that game.     Not surprised you are not answering this post Chloie. Didn't answer it last week either.
    • I hear ya, but...  Benadryl.     2nd 'consecutive' year starting... with same scheme and offensive coordinator.   These were not the nearly the same in JB7's case.   And after 4 full years under Charlie Weis in the Earhardt-Perkins system he installed there (and still use),  Weis moved on and also told TB12 he had nothing more for him     Different schemes and different offensive coordinators, with a year on the pine in between. Every situation is unique.  Like Aaron Rodger year 4...     Charlie Weis ( and BB ) saw the 'it' factor in a young Tom Brady. Weis says he saw it in JB7 as well. (as, apparently, did Bill Parcells).  It's at least because of these 2 endorsements I placed my trust in Reich and JB7, and still do until >30 starts and 4 years manning the helm.   BTW, Pat Kirwan labeled JB7 as backup QB... until recently. He said JB7 won him over as a true blue NFL starting QB.   Time will tell.
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...