Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Geathers!!!

TimetobringDfence!

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Should he get his spot back?

At this point I see him as a situational player he has a role, but i would like to see Willis get more reps he needs to build more cohesion with the rest of the secondary since he is the future. I think Geathers days here are very numbered. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, MPStack said:

At this point, I see him not on the 2020 roster. 

Dude is just to fragile. 

You’re definitely correct, but he brings needed leadership this year.  A great dude.  Next year, Kenny Moore and Willis are the leaders of that secondary.  Should work...

He shouldn’t. Did he do anything wrong? No. But neither did Alex Smith, Drew Bledsoe, etc...

We need to see what we really have in Willis. He’s made some impressive plays up until this point, but is he a true difference maker? I hear Grant Delpit is dropping on a lot of boards and even after that there is some goood SS talent. Willis needs to show that the Colts don’t need to draft another safety early.

55 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Willis had one good game. 

Yes, you may be on to something. However, SS Heather's is a nice player however, we have only seen him pick off 1 INT in his career, done this year. Heather's Isn't great in coverage at all compared to Willis. I personally would have resigned SS Farley before Geathers. I think Farley wasn't resigned do to assisting with the friendly fire injury to Hooker. Jmho.

1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

Yes, you may be on to something. However, SS Heather's is a nice player however, we have only seen him pick off 1 INT in his career, done this year. Heather's Isn't great in coverage at all compared to Willis. I personally would have resigned SS Farley before Geathers. I think Farley wasn't resigned do to assisting with the friendly fire injury to Hooker. Jmho.

Chuckle. Farley got $3M. If he made the 53 man roster. Ballard Fired him.
Maybe it was performance, maybe it was the $3M. He got his shot.

For whatever reason, Willis is making plays, Geathers has been late to show up, play afer play.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Actually he had two. But he’s been making plays every time. Huge TFL’s that we never see from Geathers.

I'm not a fan of geathers I just think it should take longer than a couple great games. If he keeps mak in ng plays into 4 to 5 games I'm all for him starting. 

2 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

I'm not a fan of geathers I just think it should take longer than a couple great games. If he keeps mak in ng plays into 4 to 5 games I'm all for him starting. 

He’s a young player. With young players you have to play them when they start getting hot. Plus you have to put the best players on the field. Right now Willis is making more impactful plays right now and he’s got more upside, so he needs to play. 

20 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

sweet baby Jesus - that is all kids of funny and wrong. 

You clearly don’t realize that Farley was brought back this year before he was cut in training camp. 

And your friendly fire comment could not be be more off base. 

I think it's too early to crown Willis. Love what he's doing, but it's early. Let's not forget KC's O was crippled, and our DBs were basically going up against 2nd string WRs and a hobbled QB.

I'm not a huge fan of Geathers anyway, but he is a great team guy. I actually questioned him getting a "C" on his jersey, and got crucified by the "Ballard/Reich know best" crew. Now folks are calling for him to be benched, and perhaps not be on the 2020 roster.... Funny how tides shift quickly with the knee jerks.

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think it's too early to crown Willis. Love what he's doing, but it's early. Let's not forget KC's O was crippled, and our DBs were basically going up against 2nd string WRs and a hobbled QB.

I'm not a huge fan of Geathers anyway, but he is a great team guy. I actually questioned him getting a "C" on his jersey, and got crucified by the "Ballard/Reich know best" crew. Now folks are calling for him to be benched, and perhaps not be on the 2020 roster.... Funny how tides shift quickly with the knee jerks.

Geathers being elected a captain (by his tram mates, not Ballard / Reich) and whether Willis is ready to take his spot are two separate conversations. Both can be true. 

2 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Geathers being elected a captain (by his tram mates, not Ballard / Reich) and whether Willis is ready to take his spot are two separate conversations. Both can be true. 

I am overall critical of players voting for all 5 spots. Like I said before, I think it should either be coach elected, or 50/50 split. Simply my opinion, but a C pinned on a guy that is not "proven", or someone that is vulnerable to be displaced by a rook (or other), is a recipe for trouble. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I am overall critical of players voting for all 5 spots. Like I said before, I think it should either be coach elected, or 50/50 split. Simply my opinion, but a C pinned on a guy that is not "proven", or someone that is vulnerable to be displaced by a rook (or other), is a recipe for trouble. 

Sorry, just pretty much disagree completely on everything.

In no way should the coaches or front office dictate who should be captains.  THAT is a recipe for trouble.  A good coach and front office guy would want this to be the case.

Geathers has proven himself over and over again.  Read the stories on what he went through to be able to play last year.  That is a guy worthy of following and being a captain.  I don't think that changes the least little bit if he is replaced by Willis.  

i would go with willis in the base set, not a hard decision.  hes good against the run too so that could make it hard for geathers to get on the field.  maybe if we want to go all in against the run on a play, sit hooker and put geathers in 

49 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Sorry, just pretty much disagree completely on everything.

In no way should the coaches or front office dictate who should be captains.  THAT is a recipe for trouble.  A good coach and front office guy would want this to be the case.

Geathers has proven himself over and over again.  Read the stories on what he went through to be able to play last year.  That is a guy worthy of following and being a captain.  I don't think that changes the least little bit if he is replaced by Willis.  

Not sure if you've ever coached anything, but you might have a different opinion if you had. 

I'm a fan of Geathers (the man), just like I'm a fan of JB (the man). I think the Colt's team is the kind of team that will make the right choices (in terms of choosing high character guys), but not all teams are, and player elected Cs aren't always the best picks. Hill for instance was a C for KC.... 

And believe me, when a very popular (within the team) vet player is displaced by someone new, there is can absolutely be a risk to team chemistry. And it can get more complicated if that guy is also a C.

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Nothing about the injuries KC had contributed to him using incredible instincts and play recognition to come flying down from the box for TFL’s. He’s also outperformed every rookie in our 2020 class by miles. No one is crowning him but it would be foolish not to let him start to see the extent of what he can do.

16 hours ago, jskinnz said:

sweet baby Jesus - that is all kids of funny and wrong. 

You clearly don’t realize that Farley was brought back this year before he was cut in training camp. 

And your friendly fire comment could not be be more off base. 

You said a whole lot of nothing. Obviously I knew that Farley was brought in before being cut. So what was your point? You just disagreed with my opinion. Np but you haven't made any relavent contribution to the post. "Sweet baby jesus" why though? 

8 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

You said a whole lot of nothing. Obviously I knew that Farley was brought in before being cut. So what was your point? You just disagreed with my opinion. Np but you haven't made any relavent contribution to the post. "Sweet baby jesus" why though? 

help me understand your friendly fire comment with regards to Farley and Hooker and somehow that relating to farley not being resigned. 

3 hours ago, jskinnz said:

help me understand your friendly fire comment with regards to Farley and Hooker and somehow that relating to farley not being resigned. 

Well let's see. Who was Ballard's first pick as GM? Hooker. Once again, this selection was a bit of a surprise on many fronts. Never the less. Moving forward. I totally understand that injuries happen all the time. However, with both these things mentioned, I could clearly see that if friendly fire caused the injury of a KEY player on your team, in the back of your subconscious, you will remember all which was mentioned. This guy darn near caused my first pick in the draft (my first pick ever as GM) his playing career. 

Plus, if the same said guy isn't producing more than what he is (causing injury to your own team), I'm sure Chris Ballard knows and remember all of this.

Now I'll play the flip side of the coin. Perhaps CB wanted to get younger at the position. Maybe a rookie earning $300k-$700k is worth more than paying Farley a few mill.? I'll say this, we are thin at the position (safety). We need someone who knows the defense. So why isn't Farley on the team? Maybe it was that friendly fire to your first pick, your Key player?

On 10/19/2019 at 8:34 AM, EastStreet said:

Not sure if you've ever coached anything, but you might have a different opinion if you had. 

I'm a fan of Geathers (the man), just like I'm a fan of JB (the man). I think the Colt's team is the kind of team that will make the right choices (in terms of choosing high character guys), but not all teams are, and player elected Cs aren't always the best picks. Hill for instance was a C for KC.... 

And believe me, when a very popular (within the team) vet player is displaced by someone new, there is can absolutely be a risk to team chemistry. And it can get more complicated if that guy is also a C.

I can't speak for Jskinns, but I have coached and pretty much anything past the peewee/middle school level the players know who the leaders are, this is absolutely true past high school.  If the coaches want to pick captains, that's fine, but it better match what the players already know to be true.

Just now, Cynjin said:

I can't speak for Jskinns, but I have coached and pretty much anything past the peewee/middle school level the players know who the leaders are, this is absolutely true past high school.  If the coaches want to pick captains, that's fine, but it better match what the players already know to be true.

I think there needs to be a good balance. And I absolutely agree it's best when they match up.