Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts running game

Four2itus

What a treat to watch this team run the ball. As a fan of over 4 decades, rarely have I see the Colts do what they are now doing ...especially when they are 3rd and short. Here is a nice article that outlines the big play aspect of the teams running attack...

Stampede Blue

"The big plays have been a sizable piece for the Colts offense this year. In just their first five games, the Colts have 5 runs of 20 yards or more. That’s more than the team had in 2016 for the entire season, and the Colts haven’t had more than 10 in a season since 2013 (11).

Currently they’re on pace for 16 runs of 20-plus yards, which would be the most they’ve had in a season since 1994 when they totaled 20 big runs on the shoulders of a little-known guy named Marshall Faulk. That’s 25 years if you’re counting."

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Stacked boxes are coming and will be more frequent. Jacoby is going to need to push the ball and complete the passes. It will help Mack and the O-Line 

Hard to stack the box when you have to double T.Y. one of our TEs will be by themselves or send the back out

• Like 2

It'll be really interesting to see how consistent our run game will be week to week after teams begin to focus on it more. The Raiders particularly did a really good job with their gameplan against us. Personally, the more carries Wilkins gets as opposed to Hines, the better off I think they'll be. If it wasn't for Wilkins we wouldn't have gotten anything going against the Titans.

Houston will be a good test. I think they have the best run defense of our remaining opponents.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

It'll be really interesting to see how consistent our run game will be week to week after teams begin to focus on it more. The Raiders particularly did a really good job with their gameplan against us. Personally, the more carries Wilkins gets as opposed to Hines, the better off I think they'll be. If it wasn't for Wilkins we wouldn't have gotten anything going against the Titans.

Houston will be a good test. I think they have the best run defense of our remaining opponents.

I heard something today that Houston’s run defense was pretty good last year and we still ran for 200 yards in that playoff game. I think our oline is just that good. I saw some comments from Cranell today about that game. I think they are going to sell out Sunday. I think we could have some guys open a lot.

2 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

The raiders  would have played  us differently  if t.y. had suited up

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Hard to stack the box when you have to double T.Y. one of our TEs will be by themselves or send the back out

It kinda depends on what plays we are running, how deep the routes are, and if JB is willing/able to push it down field. You can easily stack the box and double TY if your TEs and other WRs are running shallow trees (or simply not getting balls thrown to them when they go deep). The overwhelming majority of his passes are -5 to +5 yards from scrimmage. That makes it too easy for DBs and LB to clog things up.

Take a look at his charts if you have time.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/list/type/team/2019/week

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

It kinda depends on what plays we are running, how deep the routes are, and if JB is willing/able to push it down field. You can easily stack the box and double TY if your TEs and other WRs are running shallow trees (or simply not getting balls thrown to them when they go deep). The overwhelming majority of his passes are -5 to +5 yards from scrimmage. That makes it too easy for DBs and LB to clog things up.

Take a look at his charts if you have time.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/list/type/team/2019/week

Brissett has the arm and accuracy to hit deep, but thats just not Reich's offense. You may see one or two deep shots, but thats about it

19 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Brissett has the arm and accuracy to hit deep, but thats just not Reich's offense. You may see one or two deep shots, but thats about it

Can't blame it on Reich's O. If you look at Andrew's charts last year, they look completely different than JBs. Either Reich has totally changed philosophy, or he's calling very different plays for JB. Or, JB is just not able to go through progressions like Luck.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Can't blame it on Reich's O. If you look at Andrew's charts last year, they look completely different than JBs. Either Reich has totally changed philosophy, or he's calling very different plays for JB. Or, JB is just not able to go through progressions like Luck.

Going through progression s didn't  help Luck versus chiefs.  Brissett  will get better. 

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I think Andrew simply looked to throw it deep.  He may have changed the progressions to where he looked deep first.  I think the difference is Luck/JB, not Reich.

7 hours ago, Stephen said:

Going through progression s didn't  help Luck versus chiefs.  Brissett  will get better. 

Nope, it didn't. What he needed was the opposing QB to be hobbled, the 2 best WRs to be out, their OL to be banged up, 3 of 4 DL to be out, and 4 of the front 7!. That would have really helped Luck.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I think Andrew simply looked to throw it deep.  He may have changed the progressions to where he looked deep first.  I think the difference is Luck/JB, not Reich.

I don't think it's even debatable who had the better field vision and who was better at reads/progressions. Luck was skilled at those things coming out of college. Sure he threw some INTs, but so does just about everybody that regularly goes down field. INTs also happen a lot when playing from behind, which Luck did a lot during the Grigson era.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I don't think it's even debatable who had the better field vision and who was better at reads/progressions. Luck was skilled at those things coming out of college. Sure he threw some INTs, but so does just about everybody that regularly goes down field. INTs also happen a lot when playing from behind, which Luck did a lot during the Grigson era.

Well... leave room for the possibility of TY and Brissett having a great outing this week.

TY's 3rd best game vs the Texans...who he's punished and torched relentlessly... came with Brissett as the QB in 2017 in the waning days of that very same Grigson/Pagano mess. Yes, Ballard was aboard by then but had yet to comprehensively turn over the roster.

No one can dispute the read/progression capabilities that Andrew had as a QB....but Jacoby HAS a chemistry with TY that will only be bolstered by the run game and the O-line, which pummeled Houston last year. And that was WITH Clowney there.

A big key to this game, IMO....is rattling and physically pounding Watson...and mixing coverages like we did against Mahomes.

I believe we can, I believe TY will light them up again....and I'm picking us to win this game.... 27-17.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

Well... leave room for the possibility of TY and Brissett having a great outing this week.

TY's 3rd best game vs the Texans...who he's punished and torched relentlessly... came with Brissett as the QB in 2017 in the waning days of that very same Grigson/Pagano mess. Yes, Ballard was aboard by then but had yet to comprehensively turn over the roster.

No one can dispute the read/progression capabilities that Andrew had as a QB....but Jacoby HAS a chemistry with TY that will only be bolstered by the run game and the O-line, which pummeled Houston last year. And that was WITH Clowney there.

A big key to this game, IMO....is rattling and physically pounding Watson...and mixing coverages like we did against Mahomes.

I believe we can, I believe TY will light them up again....and I'm picking us to win this game.... 27-17.

I think this could be a breakout game for JB to be honest. Houston's DBs are a bit hobbled, and one of their OTs is pretty banged up. That aside, I think TY will do his thing, and I'm betting Ebron shakes off the drops. 

That tweet where JB said the deep balls are coming, does give me hope. Not because I want him throwing deep a bunch, but because going deep a couple times will impact how Houston's D will play us. Houston is not great at all vs the pass, but top 10 vs the run. I'm guessing Reich will try to exploit that. It's pretty much a given they're going to key on stopping Mack and TY, and both Reich (play calling) and JB need to use that against them. 

If JB could have a good game and win this one, we have 3 very winnable games after that. Being 7-2 going into the last 7 games (which should be pretty tight) would be awesome. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1