Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is It Time To Move On??

Shadow_Creek

so Marcus Hunt was a big favorite of mine going into last year and he played outstanding ball finishing with 5 sacks and a force fumble. However within 5 games so far this season he hasn't really done much which makes me wonder with the addition of Houston will Hunt be out the door after this year?

12 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

so Marcus Hunt was a big favorite of mine going into last year and he played outstanding ball finishing with 5 sacks and a force fumble. However within 5 games so far this season he hasn't really done much which makes me wonder with the addition of Houston will Hunt be out the door after this year?

I'm not sure what Houston has to do with Hunt. They play different positions. 

• Like 4

In 5 games, he has 1 tackle (solo) on the season.

Here's his snap count:

LAC - 35

TEN - 28

ATL - 36

OAK - 19

KAN - 15

It's clear that his snap count is being reduced.  He has not been playing well this year.  He hasn't produced a tackle (not even an assist) since TEN.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I was listening to a podcast today. They mentioned he is doing his job. He plays a position that doesn’t show up on a stat sheet. He just had a good start to the season last year. Not sure how true that is.

Do you remember the podcast?  I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.  If he was doing his job, he wouldn't have his defensive snap counts significantly reduced.

Furthermore, his PFF grade is an abysmal 49.4.  Hunt was absolutely destroyed in the Raiders game. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Move on with who?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Do you remember the podcast?  I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.  If he was doing his job, he wouldn't have his defensive snap counts significantly reduced.

Furthermore, his PFF grade is an abysmal 49.4.  Hunt was absolutely destroyed in the Raiders game. 

It was one of the stampede blue podcasts. It’s clear that the coaches are not happy since his snaps have been drastically reduced. Raiders have a big oline so that does not surprise me.

11 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

The whole DL was. That Raiders OL is no joke, and smaller interior guys like Hunt and Autry, were easily neutralized by that big OL. I think that's why we've seen Ballard bring in bigger DLineman these past 2 weeks. That's not really a knock on Hunt or Autry, but Grover is really by himself in trying to handle the interior during running situations because those other guys just aren't big enough. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

If your issue is,  do we move on after a 16 game schedule,  then why are you asking after the first five weeks?      There are plenty of players who you don't want to make a judgement on after 5 weeks.    We don't have to make a decision on anyone after 5 weeks.    Lots of things can and will happen.    Just relax and let things plays out as they will.

5 weeks is way too soon to decide anything about anyone.   Seriously.    Honestly.

• Like 3

Performance has been poor. His future will be based on his outcomes, which have not happened so far this year. He will take advantage of his limited role or not. Needs to make plays, I would settle for some batted down balls at this point. Good guy personally and in the locker room, but he will be gone if he doesn’t pick up his play. 

I don't think his history or general body type suggests that he would hold up against the run very well.  He plays NT for us.  For tht reason, I think we should look for a better NT in the off season.

I think last year he made some impact by penetrating the LOS for stops and sacks.  Maybe getting Sheard back, who usually pushes the pocket, will take some heat off of Hunt in the interior as the play develops. 

• Like 1

Margus Hunt...has been "Moved on" from by this very fan base/board before. It's a dang good the Colts didn't because he helped cover some pretty glaring depth issues last year.

He has lots of reps left in his playing days. Will it be here? Way too soon to make that judgement. 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I was listening to a podcast today. They mentioned he is doing his job. He plays a position that doesn’t show up on a stat sheet. He just had a good start to the season last year. Not sure how true that is.

He was a good disrupter last year this year he has regressed big time and he is getting old time to move on after the season I think he isn't playing like he earned that 3 year deal.

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Move on with who?

Another free agent/draft pick

Have you ever heard of the phrase "tale of two halves"? This team has played 5 football games and now we want to entertain the idea of moving on from players who haven't produced? Hunt more than earned the right to be part of this defensive line rotation. What happens if he plays exceptional through week 10-17 and rolls into the playoffs with a chip on his shoulder? This is like saying we are ready to move on from our rookie-third year players because they haven't quite produced like we want or need... Darius Leonard hasn't done squat this season, you ready to move on from him too?

Let's pump the brakes. 

• Like 2

Grover Stewart's Defensive Snap Counts have been in the 40s the last two games. They've gone bigger next to Autry. Hunt must have dropped back to semi-obvious passing downs.

Personally, I believe he is being used as he should be. It's no knock on him, just situational based on strengths.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Yeah, that's the Colts the last couple of years. They would show up for one half of the football game (usually the 2nd half) 

The last couple? You mean during the Pagano years? We've seen the Colts have strong game plans coming in and make proper halftime adjustments under Reich's time here. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Wasn’t he playing DE last year and now he’s in the interior?

no, he played the interior mostly.  There were times when the Colts were in goaline or less than 2 yard situation when they went to their big package where he'd slide to DE (with Woods and Stewart at DTs).  But that was rare.

31 minutes ago, Myles said:

I also think Houston has been very disappointing.   

before the Chiefs game, I was as well.  But, IMO, the Colts don't beat the Chiefs without Houston in that game and it goes beyond the TFL on 4th and 1.

I'm hoping he is finally getting comfortable with a 4-3 DE vs a 3-4 OLB and the nuances that change entails.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I also think Houston has been very disappointing.   

What a surprise.
 We were getting very poor play from the other DE position while Sheard was out.
 IMO, that affected the whole D-Line.
  With Sheard back we played the KC game like most games last year with our 2 inside tackles pounding the A gaps. That was when we were most successful.
And Houston earned AFC Defensive player of the week. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

It’s time to move on in the offseason probably. I think the Raiders in particular really just exposed the issues with the Colts front. It wasn’t just Hunt, but Autry too who got pushed around in that game.

Several of people on this board have been saying since last season that DT is a big weakness on this team. Hunt at NT is a spot that should be upgraded. He doesn’t rush the passer well (7.5 career sacks) and isn’t elite in the run game either. Again I wouldn’t single him out though. Stewart seems to be a better player overall but he doesn’t seem to be a long term answer. Autry is mostly just a pass rusher and undersized, Lewis is undersized and injury prone, and I don’t even know the names of any of our other DTs.

Its time for Ballard to draft real prototypical 4-3 DTs

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If your issue is,  do we move on after a 16 game schedule,  then why are you asking after the first five weeks?      There are plenty of players who you don't want to make a judgement on after 5 weeks.    We don't have to make a decision on anyone after 5 weeks.    Lots of things can and will happen.    Just relax and let things plays out as they will.

5 weeks is way too soon to decide anything about anyone.   Seriously.    Honestly.

This!This could be a post by itself entitled,Brisset is our qb.