Indianapolis Colts
King Colt

Two Horrible Calls Cost The Lions vs. Packers

Meh everyones entitles to an opinion, just like Aliens, Illuminati and every other "Conspiracy" some people will go to their graves refusing to even acknowledge its possible.

3 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

This rule is for the league to (only) intervene in the most dire circumstances (whether booth review or coach challenge).

What is considered dire circumstances and to whom? Teams are losing games [example: Chiefs Sunday]. Is that not considered dire? There are several more than just this one that have happened this year already. I think the whole situation has become dire,

A blatant mugging {uncalled}, very much like the one in the Rams/Saints game last year...

That's what this rule is for... not fixing on field officials DPI / OPI calls.

3 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I don't agree with that.  This will only happen if you continually have mistakes made, which I don't think happens.  Most plays don't have something controversial in them.  On a typical 3 yard run, you don't have to worry about things like offside, pass interference, unnecessary roughness, etc. I don't think the time factor would be that significant if applied.  But even if that is the case, you could allow everything to be reviewable in the final 2 mins of each half, for example.  There are ways around it.  Not to mention that there are multiple ways for the NFL to shorten games if they think this would be that big of a deal

I think the more you have backup officials (booth / replay), the more on field officials will divert calls to them.

2 hours ago, DrColtsFan said:

I was wondering why we still have refs trying to run around the field Trying to keep up with the most elite athletes?  ...when their line of sight often gets disrupted. Why not have the same number of refs (with the same assigned responsibilities as now) in a booth watching the players on computer screens to decide when penalty flags are indicated?  Could leave one on the field to place the ball based on what the line judge radios to him.  This might actually speed up the game versus having things reviewed after the fact.  I know it’s not perfect, but no one seems to believe that the current system is near perfect either. 

Interesting, except HD cameras and operators are expensive. Can't have every player  assigned their own camera. Especially those in the the 'dud' games.  This is still a money making entertainment operation.

44 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Meh everyones entitles to an opinion, just like Aliens, Illuminati and every other "Conspiracy" some people will go to their graves refusing to even acknowledge its possible.

Why would a multi billion dollar company risk losing it all?  It's *ic.  

I think we can all agree that the refs are human. Well, at least most of them. Which means:

They will make mistakes.

They may not be unbiased in regard to teams and/or players.

They may have vices that interfere with their judgement.

They may have physical deficiencies that affect their ability to make a call correctly.

They have a life outside of football that may affect them while on the job.

Unfortunately, the best sport has the worst officials. First thing I do now after every play is look at the bottom right of the screen to see if the box turns yellow. It's awful.

As for replay, I have two options:

Option #1

1. On any down, review change of possession and score/no score. That's it.

2. On 1st and 2nd down, no reviews (other than the two above).

3. On 3rd down review it all.

4. On 4th down that is not a punt, review it all.

Option #2

Only reviewable play involves change of possession or potential change of possession. Score or no score.

Apparently Packers LT Bakhtiari complained to the refs about not getting hands-to-the-face calls earlier in the game, which led to the refs keying in on it later in the game.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001066235/article/david-bakhtiari-talked-to-refs-about-hands-to-face

He pulled a "Brady" haha.  But seriously, this kind of stuff (and all players AND coaches bark at officials all game long) is just another reason to get mistake-prone human zebras that can have their decision making influenced off the field and replaced with cameras.  A handful of cameras per ref won't miss the things the refs are always missing, and there won't be humans on the field for players and coaches to waste time and energy trying to lobby for a call.

We just need one glorified ball-boy that follows the ball on each play, blows the play dead, then places the ball for the next play and blows the whistle to announce any penalties caught by the cameras.  No decision making, just doing what the speaker in his ear tells him to do.

13 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

A blatant mugging {uncalled}, very much like the one in the Rams/Saints game last year...

That's what this rule is for... not fixing on field officials DPI / OPI calls.

Then why have a coaches challenge if the are not enforcing it. If it is that blatant they should be able to stop the game from NY and reverse the call.

1 hour ago, hoosierhawk said:

Then why have a coaches challenge if the are not enforcing it. If it is that blatant they should be able to stop the game from NY and reverse the call.

I think they can only in last 2 minutes. So it seems they don't want coaches throwing red flags on subjective penalties, it seems. But now NY can intervene (they couldn't in Rams/Saints game last year).

Originally, Sean Payton got all 31 other HC's on board to push this through the competition committee\, yet they only wanted it for the worst case scenarios-

https://tinyurl.com/y4nl6f7d

How things change...