Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Leonard's Concussion / Athletic Article

Fisticuffs111

59 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Concussions suck. Had a couple back when I was an amateur boxer, both times ring Doc checked me and told my family to just make sure I was breathing throughout the night and that I got up in the morning, lol. 

3_ufc_160820_natediaz_int_web_1280x720_7

Damn man, yeah that's rough. I watch a lot of boxing/MMA and I can't imagine getting punched in the face like that for a living. And nice reference to Nate Diaz, his speech has definitely gotten more and more slurred over the years, and I guess that's no surprise due to his fight style.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Well if Colin Cohwerd said it, it must b true because Colin scouted....coached and/or played football at an elite level?!?!?!?

It doesnt matter who it comes from. The eye test doesn't lie. BTW Leonard rookie stat numbers would have looked even more impressive had not flags been thrown on the same plays. Never the less, Leonard is an All-Pro. And the likely hood of any rookie playing as good, or even close to Leonard is slim to none. Not that I would have a problem with 3 LBs who play at the level of Darius Leonards.

Im a realest. And I understand that as fans, you want every player on your team to be All-Pros (ask Pat McAfee). But the rookie LBs you have mentioned only played 1 of 5 lights out game thus far. Lets not pre-maturely give credit where its not warranted. ("The Oline is fixed", said Jim Irsey roughly 2-3 years ago. It wasnt, and Luck missed the season).

41 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

It doesnt matter who it comes from. The eye test doesn't lie. BTW Leonard rookie stat numbers would have looked even more impressive had not flags been thrown on the same plays. Never the less, Leonard is an All-Pro. And the likely hood of any rookie playing as good, or even close to Leonard is slim to none. Not that I would have a problem with 3 LBs who play at the level of Darius Leonards.

Im a realest. And I understand that as fans, you want every player on your team to be All-Pros (ask Pat McAfee). But the rookie LBs you have mentioned only played 1 of 5 lights out game thus far. Lets not pre-maturely give credit where its not warranted. ("The Oline is fixed", said Jim Irsey roughly 2-3 years ago. It wasnt, and Luck missed the season).

If the eye test doesn't lie...what was your assessment of Leonard before he got hurt?

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

If the eye test doesn't lie...what was your assessment of Leonard before he got hurt?

All-Pro. which he has already earned. And on the rise to top LB within 2-3 years. I see special traits ala Lawrence Taylor (instincts) and a playmaker. He just needs to stay healthy and he will be mentioned amongst defensive POY with Aaron Donald, and co every season. Didn't he lead the league in tackles as a rookie, even after missing games? The guy wreaks havoc and can cover with the best of them. The rooks you mentioned have played decent enough as fill in players. 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 9:18 AM, Hoose said:

Speed and Okereke have more upside than Leonard? Wow, that's a major stretch. I think both of these rookies have genuine promise, but Leonard had a special season last year that neither of these guys are likely to replicate. Leonard is an all Pro LB and earned it. 

Now, you want to talk about Willis already being better than Geathers? That's one where we could find common ground. 

The bar isn't very high for them to be considerably better in coverage than Leonard and Walker, individually OR as a pair. It is a passing league so some will highly value this.
 Can they be equal to against the run as a pair? Possibly.
  It sure looks like Willis time to me.

10 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

he was very good last year, when he won rookie of the year. 

wasnt as good when he played this year, but im too worried i dont think the maniac was a one year wonder or anything.  that video is no fluke, he did that by being a top tier talent 

Lol at Speed starting, he’s done nothing to show that will happen soon...

It has to be a personal preference because there is absolutely nothing that suggests any LB is going to play as well or better than Leonard. Okereke has played well but that’s about it.

On 10/14/2019 at 7:00 PM, Chloe6124 said:

I have a subscription and read it. It was basically different then the one he had in college. That was the main reason he was questioning whether he could play again. He then talked to others who had concussions and realized what he was experiencing a lot others had as well. That then eased his mind. It’s a good story. If you download the APP you can get so many articles for free a month. It’s worth the subscription though. Great stories.

Glad he hasn't talked to Austin Collie, yet.  BTW, I have Athletic sub too.

On 10/14/2019 at 7:24 PM, a06cc said:

Back in 2011 I flipped my car 5 times. Walked away with just a concussion thank God. Didn’t eat for a few days as I couldn’t stomach food. That’s just my personal experience. I feel for the guy and can relate. Hopefully he isn’t coming back too soon. He’ll have those feels in the back of his mind for sometime. 

Same. The NFL has really improved the concussion protocol.  I'm more confident players truly are ready to return these days when cleared.

On 10/14/2019 at 11:08 PM, Barrdaddy said:

This is pretty concerning to me. You have a star linebacker questioning retirement when you've already had your franchise player retire.

Darius wasn't contemplating retirement.  And Luck a plethora of medical care professionals caring for him outside of the club medical staff.

Sounds to me like our training staff isn't doing the best job of getting these players where they need to be health wise and reassuring them. I know that concussions aren't your typical rehab, but it doesn't sound like our training staff was doing all it could to make sure he was getting healthy. Just my two cents.

They had Leonard show up every morning for a checkup, and sent him home to a 'quiet place' to rest.  Really, the only thing more they could do is show up at his house to make sure he wasn't spending the day on his phone/tablet/computer, video game console, or cranking up the Home Theater surround system.  {Sigh}

Maniac is a grown man and can manage good nights sleep, rest and recovery (the treatment) on his own.

21 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

All-Pro. which he has already earned. And on the rise to top LB within 2-3 years. I see special traits ala Lawrence Taylor (instincts) and a playmaker. He just needs to stay healthy and he will be mentioned amongst defensive POY with Aaron Donald, and co every season. Didn't he lead the league in tackles as a rookie, even after missing games? The guy wreaks havoc and can cover with the best of them. The rooks you mentioned have played decent enough as fill in players. 

Ummmm...... I think we have been watching different Leonards.   We shall c how this year plays out

16 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Ummmm...... I think we have been watching different Leonards.   We shall c how this year plays out

So which Leonard are you watching?. I've watched Leonard, as a rookie, play as an All Pro linebacker. Just like when Hooker was out. Many people was calling him out. Upon his return, made a timely INT in the endzone.

So if Leonard is not as advertised, then what's your claim? That the rookies we have at LB are better? That's why I can't have an objective, non bias dialogue with many fans. They believe that every available player, or every new addition to the team (Colts) is the best thing ever.

On 10/14/2019 at 11:13 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Hmmmm....last I heard Leonard lost weight this year.  He was around 215 and all it amounted to was him  getting blown up in the run game and still not being able to cover .  I just think he is really over rated based on his late season play last year and so far this year

Would love to hear which games late last season you thought he played badly for clarification.

I think it's unfair to judge someone the caliber of Darius Leonard on a 2 game sample especially when one game was the first real game he had played in 8 months, and in the other he suffered a concussion in the first quarter.

13 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

Would love to hear which games late last season you thought he played badly for clarification.

I think it's unfair to judge someone the caliber of Darius Leonard on a 2 game sample especially when one game was the first real game he had played in 8 months, and in the other he suffered a concussion in the first quarter.

i dont think they watched last year

This is pretty concerning to me. You have a star linebacker questioning retirement when you've already had your franchise player retire. Sounds to me like our training staff isn't doing the best job of getting these players where they need to be health wise and reassuring them. I know that concussions aren't your typical rehab, but it doesn't sound like our training staff was doing all it could to make sure he was getting healthy. Just my two cents.

Players are starting to get worried about CTE. that's it...

On 10/15/2019 at 5:58 PM, HOZER said:

Concussions suck. Had a couple back when I was an amateur boxer, both times ring Doc checked me and told my family to just make sure I was breathing throughout the night and that I got up in the morning, lol. 

3_ufc_160820_natediaz_int_web_1280x720_7

Geez Hozer....who was that ring doctor... Jack Kevorkian?

On 10/15/2019 at 7:44 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Ummm.m.....Eberflus said  Bobby will still see some time at linebacker this week even with Walker and Leonard healthy.  Will b interesting to c when and who he subs for. Also Speed to get more playing time at SAM.  Mayb I wasn't to far off bout Bobby and Speed's upside??  Interesting

Interesting indeed

On 10/15/2019 at 7:44 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Ummm.m.....Eberflus said  Bobby will still see some time at linebacker this week even with Walker and Leonard healthy.  Will b interesting to c when and who he subs for. Also Speed to get more playing time at SAM.  Mayb I wasn't to far off bout Bobby and Speed's upside??  Interesting

Did Okereke or Speed play at all today?

• Thanks 2

On 10/16/2019 at 9:44 AM, throwing BBZ said:

The bar isn't very high for them to be considerably better in coverage than Leonard and Walker, individually OR as a pair. It is a passing league so some will highly value this.
 Can they be equal to against the run as a pair? Possibly.
  It sure looks like Willis time to me.

On 10/17/2019 at 1:28 PM, Rackeen305 said:

So which Leonard are you watching?. I've watched Leonard, as a rookie, play as an All Pro linebacker. Just like when Hooker was out. Many people was calling him out. Upon his return, made a timely INT in the endzone.

So if Leonard is not as advertised, then what's your claim? That the rookies we have at LB are better? That's why I can't have an objective, non bias dialogue with many fans. They believe that every available player, or every new addition to the team (Colts) is the best thing ever.

Did you happen to see the Texans game? "Just like when Hooker was out. Many people was calling him out. Upon his return, made a timely INT"

Can we talk about football or no? If not I wont post. Just here to discuss football.