Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chiefs aren't as good as people thought

CaptainColt12

The Chiefs have a terrible running game with them running 10 times a game. There defense is really bad and they can't do anything to stop the run. On paper their defense looks alright with Chris Jones Frank Clark and Trann Mathieu. But they are far from being in the top half. Their O line has been very bad considering they had lost Mitch Morse. They have no receivers other than Hill, Watkins is below average. All they have going for them is Mahomes, Reid and ,the best TE WR duo in the league, this isn't gonna get them far in the playoffs, when the weather is gonna be so low they'll have to run the ball and not rely on the deep passing game. I'd be surprised if they don't fire their GM after this year considering they lost so much and gained very little in terms of what they traded to get an average pass rusher. 

I'll give them the AFC west with 10-6 and a loss in the divisional round. 

Andy Reid has always had this thing where he likes passing the ball more than running it. They ran the ball more under Dorsey and when they had Kareem Hunt.   They need to get back to some of that but I suspect Andy has more say over how things go down now.  He's never been a big run the football type coach. 

Most teams fluctuate from week to week, or at least every few weeks. Three weeks ago the Chiefs were uneatable and the Raiders were awful. The Bears were "all that" and talk was could the Cowboys go undefeated?" The Chargers were even considered a contender. Now the winner of Colts/Texans has the inside track to the #2 seed. Crazy, but "any given Sunday makes the season fun."

Unfortunately, there is only one constant in the NFL, and it's the evil empire in the northeast. But there is a stretch of games coming up that will test that theory as well.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

It's amazing what a few bad games can expose.

This looks very similar to what used to happen to the Colts with Manning.

We'd be looking like a juggernaut, then give up 375 rush yards to the Jags...  :groan:

And then that team won super bowl a few weeks after that jags game...

• Like 1

On 10/14/2019 at 4:28 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

It's amazing what a few bad games can expose.

This looks very similar to what used to happen to the Colts with Manning.

We'd be looking like a juggernaut, then give up 375 rush yards to the Jags...  :groan:

MJ-D was a beastly RB, I would have loved him to be a Colt. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Where did you hear Dungy wanted Jones over Addai?

I have not heard that and suspect that csmopar didn't either.  

What I have heard is that if MJD was there when the Colts picked in round 2, he would have been a Colt.  If I recall correctly he almost made it to Indy's pick.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

MJ-D was a beastly RB, I would have loved him to be a Colt. 

Yea, our division around that time was beastly in the RB department. In addition to MJ-D (2006), the Jags had Fred Taylor, so the Jags had a two-headed monster. The Titans once had Chris Johnson (2008). Then the Texans Arian Foster (2009) still gives me nightmares. Yea, their stats were padded a bit by a shoddy Colts run defense, but I also saw them running on other teams, so I think it was a combination of the two.

• Like 2

The Chiefs are going to go through a slump. Favre was 1-4 and Brady 3-4 after starting 3-0 I think in their 2nd years. I want to say Montana had a full blown losing season his 2nd year but I’d have to look it up.

Obviously the Chiefs are more than just a quarterback slump but their situation will have started and ended the same way, a speck on overall radar. They will make the playoffs and be playoff ready.

On 10/16/2019 at 7:49 PM, jskinnz said:

What I have heard is that if MJD was there when the Colts picked in round 2, he would have been a Colt.  If I recall correctly he almost made it to Indy's pick.

You’d suspect wrong. 

On 10/16/2019 at 7:08 PM, jvan1973 said:

According to MJD, he got a call from Dungy on draft night that said the Colts were debating between him and Addai, then later Dungy called back and said they’d settled on MJD only for Addai to be selected. To which he took personally so he played extra hard against the Colts. I’ll find the interview. 

On 10/16/2019 at 7:08 PM, jvan1973 said:

On 10/16/2019 at 7:49 PM, jskinnz said:

30 seconds on a google search proves that I did hear that. Just because you didn’t doesn’t mean it wasn’t put out there.

This is posted on Colts.com. Obviously they don’t debate this recap or it wouldn’t be on the team’s own site.

https://www.colts.com/video/ddfp-mjd-s-draft-call-from-tony-dungy-18578483

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Oh snap, injured?

Yep. His knee. He walked off but he better hope it’s just a sprain and not a torn ACL.  Reid needed to be a coach and bench him this game and let him heal. Denver is so bad they could of won without him. It was just a matter of time when he was playing on that bad ankle and compensating for it.

He may have just dislocated it. According to twitter doctors it’s about a 2 to 4 week recovery. Hopefully no ligament damage. Crazy all the major QB injuries this year. If he ends up out for the season that could help the raiders win the division. That would be bad for the colts.

Denver is bad. They are making that KC defense look like SB defense.

47 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He may have just dislocated it. According to twitter doctors it’s about a 2 to 4 week recovery. Hopefully no ligament damage. Crazy all the major QB injuries this year. If he ends up out for the season that could help the raiders win the division. That would be bad for the colts.

Not sure Raiders winning division has any impact on Indy.

52 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

POSSIBLY. It’s twitter. They wouldn’t have sent him out for a second mri if it’s just a dislocated knee

55 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/dislocated-kneecap/

looks like average recovery if no ligament damage from a dislocated knee is 6 weeks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IndySouthsider said:

Not sure Raiders winning division has any impact on Indy.

It could. If Indy wins the division and the raiders also win and they have the same record raiders would have the tie breaker. Right now the colts and Texans have the tie breaker over KC.  It could have a impact on who gets the 2 seed and a bye.

22 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

The Chiefs are going to go through a slump. Favre was 1-4 and Brady 3-4 after starting 3-0 I think in their 2nd years. I want to say Montana had a full blown losing season his 2nd year but I’d have to look it up.

Obviously the Chiefs are more than just a quarterback slump but their situation will have started and ended the same way, a speck on overall radar. They will make the playoffs and be playoff ready.

Now they need another QB.

There is quite likely a torn ligament here, as well (the MPFL or medial patellofemoral ligament). We will see.   If so, he could return in a few weeks (probably with a brace) but would likely need repair surgery in the off season.  OTOH, he is more susceptible to a re-dislocation until then. Also, there is heightened chance of suffering damage to the articular cartilage with some long term implications. And his play style will be dramatically altered. So he might be done for the season if surgery is needed and opted for now vs. later.

Surgery is around 6 to 9 months recovery and rehab. I feel bad for the guy, especially if the MPFL is involved.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Teddy Bridgewater had a dislocated knee.  That also entails nerve and vascular issues as well plus a long rehab/recovery.  Mahomes had a dislocated patella (kneecap), totally different.

13 hours ago, csmopar said:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/dislocated-kneecap/

looks like average recovery if no ligament damage from a dislocated knee is 6 weeks

There is almost no way he has that problem without a ligament also being torn, IMO. We can hope there is not. Because if the MRI today shows ligament damage, it will most likely require surgical repair, at some point as well.

If so, the next question is when? The player and coach would want to rehab, get a brace, and get back out there ASAP finish the year and do it off season.  But this will restrict him from doing QB things the way he is used to doing them.

The doctors will tell the GM and owner that there is heightened risk of re-injury.  Being less mobile will subject him to more hits/sacks as well.  Mind you, the medical team will tell the GM that the next injury has a higher chance (say from 5% or slightly more) of also creating a Chondral Defect, which is they will want to avoid at all costs for a young Superstar at the beginning of his career.  I'd say the GM/Owner would ask the player/coaches not to put him out there (because of that risk) and get it fixed now and be 100% next year. Gut feeling.

I guess we'll see later.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yeah, I commented both above and below with some thoughts.  And if surgery is needed, they should do it just to prevent another injury possibly causing a Chondral Defect.  If anyone wants to know how bad that is and if it could be avoided, would/should they, ask Superman the Mod/Poster here. He'll tell you; from experience.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yeah, I commented both above and below with some thoughts.  And if surgery is needed, they should do it just to prevent another injury possibly causing a Chondral Defect.  If anyone wants to know how bad that is and if it could be avoided, would/should they, ask Superman the Mod/Poster here. He'll tell you; from experience.

yeah I agree. hed have to be extremely lucky to not have any damage. the MRI is in 7 minutes per the Chief's forum, we'll know sometime after that I imagine. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I heard his test was scheduled for Noon?  That's central time, right?  Unless he went in earlier, that test would be ongoing as it is 1:22 EST as I write (12:22 CST).  This exam/imaging can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour from setup to getting off the table.  Then it has to read (properly) for results.

However, it would be great to here no other significant damage.  I'm not \convinced yet, though.  We'll know later.