Indianapolis Colts
Stephen

Will the texans stop hilton?

4 hours ago, Myles said:

I disagree.   They are pretty solid and have a very good QB.  They may challenge for the 2nd bye week in the playoffs.   They already have the tiebreaker over the Chiefs (so do the Colts).   

Very good running game, one elite WR (who we’ve had success against), one very fast WR, and a QB who’s approaching elite status. If he’s not there already.  

Going to have to spy Watson on every play.   

• Like 1

Romeo Crennell is a weak DC. Very stubborn, and resistant to any kind of change. Hilton will have another big game as usual. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I think he's a lot less of a threat without Luck.  He killed them on a lot of deep throws.  Brissett isn't connecting with him as much on the deep stuff.  

I think he had a big game with Brissett  in 2017.

9 hours ago, aaron11 said:

JJ watt is still playing well.  first in fumbles and 6th in sacks and still good against the run 

him vs nelson would be an interesting match up.  i wonder if we go to ty very much in this one 

Watts still a good player but he is not the same elite  player he was a couple of years ago.  I think injuries have taken their toll on his body. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I did not realize they were that good at running the ball. With Watson and running that well it could get ugly. Colts just signed another run stuffing DT.  I think their WR are too good to play a lot of man.

I think having Leonard back will do far more good (in stopping the run) than anything else. While Okereke has been OK vs the pass, he's been pretty bad vs the run. Teams have run right at him, or I should say right over him.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Faceman said:

Um, you obviously don’t watch the Texans much do you?  He has been Rock Solid since he was moved to Right Tackle.

5 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I think he's a lot less of a threat without Luck.  He killed them on a lot of deep throws.  Brissett isn't connecting with him as much on the deep stuff.  

Well this time last year I think he had atleast two 100 yard games this year none.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think having Leonard back will do far more good (in stopping the run) than anything else. While Okereke has been OK vs the pass, he's been pretty bad vs the run. Teams have run right at him, or I should say right over him.

Reich mentioned today how much Leonard will help also when Watson rolls out of the pocket. I believe maybe he was referring to how well he can strip the ball.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Well this time last year I think he had atleast two 100 yard games this year none.

I think he was on his way for about 140 when he had to sit out the second half of the  Atlanta game. He was having a great day.

• Like 1

if you guys have noticed our playbook is designed not to lean on Jacoby..some will say we’re “hiding the playbook” i just say we promote Running the ball and that’s exactly how we’re set up to play we don’t use the same exotic play designs that we saw luck use there’s not much RPO it’s a lot more Running not enough play action with the speed we have at all positions

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think he was on his way for about 140 when he had to sit out the second half of the  Atlanta game. He was having a great day.

Ya but we need to open the playbook stop messing around and just start opening the offense. 19 points was barely enough to beat KC but even against a Houston team that while im not convinced is that good they will put up more than 13 im thinking atleast 24.

9 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Ya but they haven't played an o-line that is worth a crap yet. I just hope we don't do what KC did and make Watson look like Montana if we do that we wont win this game.

They've played the Saints and the Panthers, both considered top 10 OLs to start the year. 

Watson is currently 4th ranked in QBR, 8th in completion %, and has a better TD to INT ratio than Brady. Add in their running game, ranked 5th. I'm glad Leonard has cleared concussion protocol..... 

In short, Houston is very solid. Their biggest weakness, is pass defense (which passing is our biggest weakness). It's not a great match up for us. Not saying we can't win, but it's likely JB will have to step up to bring home a W.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Reich mentioned today how much Leonard will help also when Watson rolls out of the pocket. I believe maybe he was referring to how well he can strip the ball.

Leonard plays sideline to sideline as well as any LB in the league. And he doesn't get swallowed up like Okereke either. I think it's simply about containing Watson on the edge, not stripping the ball. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

They've played the Saints and the Panthers, both considered top 10 OLs to start the year. 

Watson is currently 4th ranked in QBR, 8th in completion %, and has a better TD to INT ratio than Brady. Add in their running game, ranked 5th. I'm glad Leonard has cleared concussion protocol..... 

In short, Houston is very solid. Their biggest weakness, is pass defense (which passing is our biggest weakness). It's not a great match up for us. Not saying we can't win, but it's likely JB will have to step up to bring home a W.

Is passing really our weakness or have we just ran it more because it was working and the opponents. Truthfully I don’t think we have thrown it enough to know if it is a weaknsss. 

Brissett has got to start hitting some deep balls, simple as that. He's had open receivers many times and hasn't connected yet. He's been very solid otherwise, but he needs to start connecting on some long balls.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Is passing really our weakness or have we just ran it more because it was working and the opponents. Truthfully I don’t think we have thrown it enough to know if it is a weaknsss. 

We're pretty close to the middle of the league in terms of passing attempts (18th), so I'd say we've thrown it enough to grade it.

When your QBR and completion % are both ranked in the bottom half, it certainly can't be called a strength. Given JB has the 2nd least down field throws in the league, you would expect the completion % to be higher. Given that we have a top 5 OL, and play calling that makes it very easy on JB, expectations should be higher IMO. 

Again, not saying he can't improve, but I do think the training wheels need to come off in the next couple games. We likely won't fair all that well in the 2nd half of the season (especially the last 7 games) if we don't see improvement. 

58 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Ya but we need to open the playbook stop messing around and just start opening the offense. 19 points was barely enough to beat KC but even against a Houston team that while im not convinced is that good they will put up more than 13 im thinking atleast 24.

Not Opening the play book had nothing to do with scoring 19 points. We have been great in the red zone this year and for some reason we stalled once we got within 20 against KC. If  We convert two of those FG to TD we score 30 points. Reich cost us one TD. If we score two more TD and win 28 to 13 would you feel different. Chances are passing yards wouldn’t even of went up much if we had converted just two TD. Everyone is worried that it can be sustained. Let’s cross that bridge when if it comes. 

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We're pretty close to the middle of the league in terms of passing attempts (18th), so I'd say we've thrown it enough to grade it.

When your QBR and completion % are both ranked in the bottom half, it certainly can't be called a strength. Given JB has the 2nd least down field throws in the league, you would expect the completion % to be higher. Given that we have a top 5 OL, and play calling that makes it very easy on JB, expectations should be higher IMO. 

Again, not saying he can't improve, but I do think the training wheels need to come off in the next couple games. We likely won't fair all that well in the 2nd half of the season (especially the last 7 games) if we don't see improvement. 

Right now we are running 48% of the plays. Reich said today he wants it to be closer to 40%. I am sure they are working on it. Eight percent is just a few bigger plays a game.

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Right now we are running 48% of the plays. Reich said today he wants it to be closer to 40%. I am sure they are working on it. Eight percent is just a few bigger plays a game.

I honestly don't mind a 50/50 split. I'm more concerned with two things.

1) Mack is averaging 20+ attempts per game, which is 2nd in the league.  Right now, he's the MVP of our O, and we can't wear him out (or get him injured), and have him looking haggard the last 1/4 of the season. Need to spread the ball around more. More Wilkins between the tackles and on the edge, and Hines on the edge, please. 

2) JB is 31st in the league in average yards per pass, and has the 2nd least down field passes. That's just not good, and frankly it's plain bad given the completion %. The bad is compounded by how good our OL is. It's still somewhat early, but need to see sustained improvement over the next 4 games. And just beating the Broncos and Fins won't cut it.

• Like 1

I actually think Mack’s gets better the more carries he gets. Reich was asked about him wearing down. He wasn’t worried. I bet they have a good enough relationship if Mack felt he was wearing down he would say something. He got a lot stronger in the off season. Am just not worried about YPA I’d we are winning games. Will wait to be concerned until the end of the season. We know JB has been accurate in the past with deep passes. These are things Reich is probably working with him on every day when they go through film. Reich even said today it’s been more about exploiting the opponents weakness and using our strong point. Even even said today a game will come where we throw a lot.

• Like 1

I wish we would of taken Mclaurin instead of Paris. He was ready and would of contributed right away. He would of been great next to TY. 

14 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I hope they double him and that leaves the middle open for Doyle to have a huge day. He's due. 

10 hours ago, krunk said:

I just wish Ebron would get his head out of his butt for this game.  He's been mediocre the whole season so far. 

You guys read my mind man. I expect Doyle to play a pivotal role this weekend & yes, what in the world has happened to Ebron? I expected him to plunge forward this season not regress or slide backward. Odd. I hope whatever demons are plaguing him are put at bay in short order. A real head scratcher man. I want Eric to play with confidence & purpose again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

pennywise the clown halloween movie GIF

Im going to go with no...

Not football related in any way. Clowns just freak me out. Not an indictment against your post at all @HectorRoberts. I must have been traumatized at a birthday party as a little kid or something. You know, like a repressed memory. At any rate, another story for another day. Carry on. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The Colts lack depth behind Hilton (especially with Funchess and Campbell out) and can double/triple cover Hilton and force someone else to beat them. Another WR or TE will need to step up. If not, hopefully Marlon Mack can continue his magic and carve up the Texans defense.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I wish we would of taken Mclaurin instead of Paris. He was ready and would of contributed right away. He would of been great next to TY. 

It's silly to compare McLaurin to PC right now. The overwhelming majority of TM's yards are from passes with 20+ air yards.

JB hasn't thrown many of those. Hardly any. The overwhelming majority of JBs pass attempts are in the -5 to +5 yard range. TM would be looking like PC or Cain if he played for us.

Take a look at JBs pass chart

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/list/all/indianapolis-colts/2019/week/jacoby-brissett/BRI516391/2019/5/pass

This is game 5, but simply change the "5" to whatever game you want to see.

He's had Cain wide open several times and never even saw it. PC has been open deep as well. Given how good our OL has been, it's pretty bad we haven't been able to connect on some long balls.

Back to TM vs PC, keep in mind that not only is PC not getting any long ball attempts, he also missed most of training camp, and has injury issues.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

It's silly to compare McLaurin to PC right now. The overwhelming majority of TM's yards are from passes with 20+ air yards.

JB hasn't thrown many of those. Hardly any. The overwhelming majority of JBs pass attempts are in the -5 to +5 yard range. TM would be looking like PC or Cain if he played for us.

Take a look at JBs pass chart

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/list/all/indianapolis-colts/2019/week/jacoby-brissett/BRI516391/2019/5/pass

This is game 5, but simply change the "5" to whatever game you want to see.

He's had Cain wide open several times and never even saw it. PC has been open deep as well. Given how good our OL has been, it's pretty bad we haven't been able to connect on some long balls.

Back to TM vs PC, keep in mind that not only is PC not getting any long ball attempts, he also missed most of training camp, and has injury issues.

Maybe if he had a competent number two target his yards wouldn’t be so low. You totally missed the point.

My concern is if they can control our running game (they have good run D) and scheme for Hilton, we could be in trouble keeping up with the points that their O has been putting up.

However, i had concerns with the Chiefs and that worked out just fine.

Ebron should have a good game in this one.  The Texans don't have good coverage linebackers.  Kelce was pretty solid against them.  Just needs to get his head out of his butt and catch the friggin football. 

On 10/15/2019 at 9:37 AM, Chloe6124 said:

Maybe if he had a competent number two target his yards wouldn’t be so low. You totally missed the point.

He has plenty of competent targets. Even without Funch, he's got way better overall talent than Luck had last year. His issue isn't quality targets, it's beyond the 1st and 2nd reads.

On 10/14/2019 at 9:20 AM, aaron11 said:

JJ watt is still playing well.  first in fumbles and 6th in sacks and still good against the run 

Saying JJ Watt is playing well is kind of like saying that water is wet. :)  That guy is my favorite non Colt player to watch (when he's not playing the Colts).  He plays the game like it should be played.

On 10/14/2019 at 9:20 AM, aaron11 said:

him vs nelson would be an interesting match up.  i wonder if we go to ty very much in this one 

With Clowney gone, they don't seem to switch Watt much, he will stunt and things but I don't see a lot of opportunities for Nelson and Watt to be matched up.  But man, when they do it will be fun to watch.

51 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Saying JJ Watt is playing well is kind of like saying that water is wet. :)  That guy is my favorite non Colt player to watch (when he's not playing the Colts).  He plays the game like it should be played.

With Clowney gone, they don't seem to switch Watt much, he will stunt and things but I don't see a lot of opportunities for Nelson and Watt to be matched up.  But man, when they do it will be fun to watch.

I like Watt a lot too, a really good example of a guy going to a team and embracing the whole community as his own. He "gets" it. Phenomenal player too, and it's not like he was always considered a cert to make the NFL let alone be one of the top players this decade. 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 2:37 PM, Chloe6124 said:

You were one of the most vocal on here saying Campbell needed MORE SNAPS, despite people repeatedly explaining why he might not be ready for that. Injuries forced our hand and now you've done a complete 180 being very down on him and comparing him unfavourably to other rookies. Outcome bias. 

Injuries happen, but again, another sign of a top tier QB is being able to elevate lesser WRs to being at least productive. It's almost a Colt tradition, #1 receiver (Harrison/Wayne/Hilton) and JAGs who are made to look a lot better than they are (Collie/Avery/Inman/Rogers). I'd argue the last time we had a legit #2 was Garcon.

Guys are getting open still, they're not always getting targeted currently.  

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 12:43 PM, krunk said:

Ebron should have a good game in this one.  The Texans don't have good coverage linebackers.  Kelce was pretty solid against them.  Just needs to get his head out of his butt and catch the friggin football. 

Yep. On the stampede blue podcast I was listening to they mentioned that they will probably bracket coverage TY. That will leave the middle of the field wide open. They even mentioned Ebron catching a pass and having a huge TD after the catch. Now he just needs to catch the d ball. 

Just now, SteelCityColt said:

giphy.gif

I think that was the second TD to Hilton that game. First one was a deep pass.

I'm not going back through all the responses, but the title of this post should have been:

"Who will step up WHEN the Texans stop Hilton?"  They're not stupid, they're going to give him double and triple coverage.

Cain has been underwhelming, Campbell is hurt, Ebron has developed T-Rex arms, and the rest of the WRs and TEs are solid but not really playmakers.

It may be time to put Hines in the slot.

The weird thing is Hilton has his big games in Houston and not at home. Could be the same Sunday. They will do everything to stop him leaving some guys wide open.

On 10/14/2019 at 10:30 PM, Dark_Superman said:

The Colts lack depth behind Hilton (especially with Funchess and Campbell out) and can double/triple cover Hilton and force someone else to beat them. Another WR or TE will need to step up. If not, hopefully Marlon Mack can continue his magic and carve up the Texans defense.

not sure we can say Campbell was depth behind Hilton, he had 62 yards in 4 games. Now, could he be emerging young talent, certainly....and I hope so, but so far, meh.  I'd like to see more things designed for him.  Reich bringing him along slowly, too bad about the injury.  

On 10/14/2019 at 5:09 PM, Faceman said:

Um, you obviously don’t watch the Texans much do you?  He has been Rock Solid since he was moved to Right Tackle.

I thought he was talking about Johnathan Joseph