Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Highest graded linemen after 5 weeks

CR91

13 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I  am laughing at myself thinking there was a question mark after the preseason.  Ac has  really benefited from having Nelson beside him. He has always been great but with Nelson he turning out to be elite. Ballard might be mad he didn’t get his contract done  before the season started.

The last contract year AC was in, he performed steller as well. AC has been good, but never dominant. Actually, if I remember correctly, he had a pretty solid rookie year coming out of BC. I thought Colts would get Solder, but Solder was drafted be Pats right before Colts pick.

50 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

The last contract year AC was in, he performed steller as well. AC has been good, but never dominant. Actually, if I remember correctly, he had a pretty solid rookie year coming out of BC. I thought Colts would get Solder, but Solder was drafted be Pats right before Colts pick.

Maybe it’s because AC is a Colt but I am glad they got him over Solder or Bulgia (yeah I butchered that spelling I am sure) who went to the Packers.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 9:56 PM, BProland85 said:

I’m surprised Ryan Kelly isn’t high up on the list. 

Actually I was just looking at this and according to PFF, Ryan Kelly was the weak link in our OL last year with the lowest overall grade.  

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-the-colts-offensive-line-will-look-to-build-off-an-excellent-2018-season

According to PFF our OL was overall ranked like this. 

10 - 2 - 10 - 6 - 10

To be fair those rankings where based exclusively on players who played 300 or more snaps at one position on the line.  

• Thanks 1

Where are the peeps that always say PFF is trash?

In all seriousness, Nelson is making AC's job much easier. Not saying AC isn't playing very well, just saying he's getting a huge boost with Q being next to him. AC's career likely extended several years, and his bank account got fatter the moment we drafted Nelson.

Braden should probably get more love. He's doing a good job at a position he probably shouldn't be playing. I'd love for us to draft a AC's eventual replacement in the next year or so, and let Braden move back to guard while AC's replacement develops at RT.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

In all seriousness, Nelson is making AC's job much easier. Not saying AC isn't playing very well, just saying he's getting a huge boost with Q being next to him. AC's career likely extended several years, and his bank account got fatter the moment we drafted Nelson.

Braden should probably get more love. He's doing a good job at a position he probably shouldn't be playing. I'd love for us to draft a AC's eventual replacement in the next year or so, and let Braden move back to guard while AC's replacement develops at RT.

Nah. As that famous saying clearly states; "if it ain't broken, no need to re-invent nor tinker with it....."

12 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Nah. As that famous saying clearly states; "if it ain't broken, no need to re-invent nor tinker with it....."

Would you want to play Nelson at LT if AC went down and retired, and then choose to leave him there the next year without addressing LT?

On 10/13/2019 at 8:25 AM, egg said:

How are they better than last year?   (once the 5 were assembled) 

Same players playing at the same high level. 

I think Smith has definitely improved and the line seems a bit better as a unit.  We're running some plays (e.g., outside runs) which we didn't really excel at last year and we're picking up yards.  We're also run blocking (as a unit) better than we were last year (part of that may because we're just running a lot more, but I don't remember many times last year where we were able to just run for 4+ yards/carry when the other team knew what was coming and be so confident that we're gonna just 'take the will out of the opponent').

I think Nelson is playing a little more consistent and I think this is the best Costanzo has looked in at least a few years.  Kelly's been playing very reliably and Smith has definitely improved.  Glowinski, IMO, is the weak link  -- but he's still not bad.

On 10/13/2019 at 10:25 AM, egg said:

How are they better than last year?   (once the 5 were assembled) 

Same players playing at the same high level. 

The run blocking is significantly better.

The Colts are ranked 4th in the NFL in terms of rushing yards per game. 

They were ranked 16th last year.

12 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

The run blocking is significantly better.

The Colts are ranked 4th in the NFL in terms of rushing yards per game. 

I'd say we were just as good the second half of of 2018 after the musical chairs at OL settled, and Mack got healthy.

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'd say we were just as good the second half of of 2018 after the musical chairs at OL settled, and Mack got healthy.

Reich still wasn't satisfied, considering the OL staff changes.  I think the both the OL play, generally, and the running game are going to continue to improve under the new scheme. 

2 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Reich still wasn't satisfied, considering the OL staff changes.  I think the both the OL play, generally, and the running game are going to continue to improve under the new scheme. 

I think right now, Reich would like to rely less on the running game. Like @Chloe6124 mentioned earlier, FR said they are at 48/52 run-pass ration right now, and he'd like to be closer to 40/60 than 50/50.

The only difference IMO between the 2nd half of 2018 vs now, is that we simply are running it with a higher frequency. Mack's yards per carry is the exact same (4.7 yards) this year as it was last. Right now, Mack has the second most attempts per game in the league. That's a recipe for injury and/or wearing out your RB1.

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I don't like PFF grades, especially for olineman.  of course I don't base my evaluation of the line on PFF either.

Nelson is making AC's job easier but on the flip side AC is making Nelson's job easier as well.

This makes no sense to me.  For one reason, the Colts have one of the best olines in the NFL, that does not mean there are no weaknesses or any place for improvement, it just means they are one of the best units in the NFL so why mess with it?  Second, this philosophy would weaken three positions; RG would be weakened by moving someone there who has not played that position in the pros.  Then you weaken the RT position by playing a guy there that is not as good as the RT you just moved to guard and then in the future you weaken the LT position by moving a RT who will have to undo all his RT muscle memory and relearn the LT muscle memory.

Olineman can typically have long careers in the NFL and barring a major injury I can see AC playing another 4 or 5 years (he's not like Glenn where weight is an issue).  So there is no reason to draft his replacement anytime soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, zibby43 said:

That includes the first 3rd of the season before the current 5 were assembled.

Look at the Dallas game last year. They dominated on the ground. Luck had about 200 yards passing and 0 TDs. ....

Mack averaged 4.7 yds per carry last year.

Mack is averaging 4.7 yds per carry this year.

Exactly the same run blocking production last year and this year.

1 hour ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Can we turn this thread into an Andrew Luck memories/reminiscing thread please? Something in the back of my head is telling me we really need that right now

this team would be great if we had Andrew Luck 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I don't remember many times last year where we were able to just run for 4+ yards/carry when the other team knew what was coming and be so confident that we're gonna just 'take the will out of the opponent').

Then you didn't see the Dallas game. Luck had 200 yards no TD. Complete domination on the ground.

Mack averaged 4.7 yards per carry last year.

Mack is averaging 4.7 yards per carry this year.

2 hours ago, egg said:

Then you didn't see the Dallas game. Luck had 200 yards no TD. Complete domination on the ground.

Mack averaged 4.7 yards per carry last year.

Mack is averaging 4.7 yards per carry this year.

I said "I don't remember many times when we could run at will last year..."  The Cowboys game was kind of an anomaly last year, if you ask me.  It was definitely a big game in setting a tone for who Ballard/Reich and others on the coaching staff and FO want us to be.

Mack this year (through 5 games) has 25 attempts, 20 attempts, 16 attempts, 11 attempts, 29 attempts rushing... so 3 games in the first 5 with 20+ attempts.

Last year, in the 12 games he played, his attempts per game were 10, 12, 19, 25, 12, 16, 15, 8, 14, 27(vs. Dallas), 12, and 25 --- in 12 games he only had 3 with more 20+ carries.  

We'll see how the rest of the season plays out, but as of now, it seems like we are much more committed to the run than we were last year.  Hopefully Mack stays healthy, as he's a very good back... and if things continue to trend like they are, he's going to be getting a lot more miles on his legs this year than he did last year.

5 hours ago, egg said:

That includes the first 3rd of the season before the current 5 were assembled.

Look at the Dallas game last year. They dominated on the ground. Luck had about 200 yards passing and 0 TDs. ....

Mack averaged 4.7 yds per carry last year.

Mack is averaging 4.7 yds per carry this year.

Exactly the same run blocking production last year and this year.

Wait, so you're comparing just the Dallas game last year, with the entirety of this year?

And no one is taking into account that teams are playing the Colts differently (bringing extra defenders into the box) with no Luck?

Yeah, I'm bowing out of this thread lol.