Indianapolis Colts
Rebel

Colts Looking to Develop Chad Kelly

6 hours ago, Rebel said:

If you spent your childhood in a locker room, then why are you so attached to Brissett? You should be able to recognize talent.

Because Brissett isn’t as bad as you want him to be.  He also isn’t as great as some others make him out to be.  He’s a game manager.  He’s not elite but he’s not Curtis Painter either.  He’s a middle of the pack to lower end NFL starter which is about what he was projected to be when Reich said he was a top 20 QB.  You can win with that in the NFL if you develop the right kind of team around him.  That’s what the Colts are trying to do.  The Ravens, Bucs, early Brady Pats teams, and the Eagles have all used that formula to win Super Bowls.  It can be done.  

Can the Colts upgrade over Brissett?  Sure but it’s going to be hard to do and if Kelly really had that kind of talent he’d be on someone’s roster right now.  Don’t believe me the Jets just cut the kid whose been starting while Darnold was out because he was awful.  If they even thought there was a chance Chad Kelly could be an elite QB he would have been there.  Samething with the Bengals, Vikings, or Steelers who are starting an undrafted rookie this week and badly need a succession plan to Ben.  

The Colts could also do a lot worse than Brissett, have any interest in watching Kirk Cousins, Andy Dalton, or Luke Falk try to be the Colts QB?  Honestly, given his salary the Colts are in better shape at QB than a team like the Bears or Vikings that have committed big money to guys who just aren’t very good.  Should they be able to get someone better than can move on from Jacoby fairly easily but they are also protected for this year and next if they can’t.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I'm not always looking to be negative. I'm being realistic about deficiencies. Whenever someone brings up simple things like stats, his challenges with reads, or his lack of touch, all the fanboys have a melt down instead of talking objectively about the challenges and likelihood of improvement.

It’s not like Rebel and EastStreet picked Kelly and Reich picked Jacoby. They are both Reichs guys.  He had a hand in bringing both of them to the Colts and we should indeed trust him to sift everything out. 

Also, the Colts have an analytics team. Theoretically, their data should match your data. So why shouldn’t we fanboys trust him to make the right decision regarding the most important position? Or do you think he is too biased in favor of Jacoby?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Smonroe said:

We won’t really know anything until next preseason.  They’ll most likely give Kelly first team reps, and he may actually play against real NFL players.  

That’s the only way to evaluate him.  

But, the way the trend is going, we may not see any first team players on either side of the ball.  

Between Brissett and Kelly, we only have theoreticals, but not enough actual data to make sound decisions. Trying to compare them now is like comparing a theoretical orange to a theoretical apple - which is fruitless. The Colts front office is more patient than the fans in this regard - and that's a very good thing.

• Like 3

Re: "... if Kelly really had that kind of talent he’d be on someone’s roster right now", that is a faulty premise - an over-generalized assumption that may not be true.

16 hours ago, Rebel said:

https://www.1075thefan.com/blogs/kevins-corner/colts-coverage/colts-looking-further-develop-quarterback-chad-kelly

"INDIANAPOLIS – This time last year, when Chad Kelly took the practice field with the Denver Broncos, he was one play away from being a starting quarterback."

------------------------------

What a waste of opportunity and talent. You have a QB that could crush the opposition, yet you have Brissett that throws for 150 yds a game. 

C'mon.........

We have a head coach that was a QB...... he knows what he knows........

He sees the kid in practice.  We dont......

Lets see how everything develops..........

The best QB, will be chosen

Personally, I like the potential of  CK

The kid seems to be taking a humble approach, which is ALWAYS the first step to improvement

15 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I'm not calling for Kelly to start now, or anything like that, but I'm also not impressed with JB in the first 5 games. 

Yards per game: 27th (this screams game manager)

Kelly fan here, but Brissett's 27th passing yards per game is obviously skewed due to the fact that as a team the Colts are 5th in the league in rushing yards per game with an average of 142.0 yards.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think most agree that Luck is better than Brissett but what does that have to do with Kelly since that’s what this thread is about?

It was more a response to the person that said some on here would rather keep brissett even if luck wanted to come back. I just didn't quote them

17 hours ago, Rebel said:

You have a QB that could crush the opposition, yet you have Brissett that throws for 150 yds a game. 

Keegan-Michael Key Lol GIF by HULU

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Stephen said:

Big ben took years to get there

So did Brady.

And those are the two QB that Brissett has been compared to the most often.

We aren't used to QBs who have to earn greatness. Luck could do it on pure talent.  Brady, Roethlisberger, heck Joe Montana had to learn for years before they came into their own.  

1 hour ago, CoachLite said:

Trying to compare them now is like comparing a theoretical orange to a theoretical apple - which is fruitless.

tenor.gif?itemid=11363998

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I'm not always looking to be negative. I'm being realistic about deficiencies.

I'm not always looking to be positive (wait, yes I am haha).  But let's be realistic about deficiencies.

Every player has deficiencies.  Manning had happy feet and tried to go deep too much when he started out his career.  Luck held on to the ball too long and when he missed his receivers, he missed them high, and it happened enough it was brought up on this forum a lot early on in his career.  No matter who is playing QB, there will be deficiencies in their game that they need to improve.  I'm gonna root for the guy that Reich puts on the field, no matter who it is.

I'm not saying JB is more talented than Kelly, just that they each have their own strengths and weaknesses, and for right now, I'd rather have JB out there.  I don't think he's going to lose us any games as a game manager, but I don't think JB can go out and win us a playoff game if we're down 38-10, either.  :dunno:  (of course, I hope I'm wrong about that  :thmup:)  He has the physical tools, he would just need to REALLY improve his ability to go through his progressions quickly and deliver the ball on time to become the type of QB that can take over a playoff game.  Maybe that will happen in the next two months, we'll see.  :goodluck:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CantBeStopped said:

It was more a response to the person that said some on here would rather keep brissett even if luck wanted to come back. I just didn't quote them

Fair enough and yeah if Luck called tomorrow and said hey I want to comeback Brissett is gong back to the backup role.

41 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

don't think JB can go out and win us a playoff game if we're down 38-10,

I don't see us getting down 38-10 with JB under center and the way this offense manages the game. But I could be wrong. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I'm not always looking to be positive (wait, yes I am haha).  But let's be realistic about deficiencies.

I think that anyone who dares to criticise or express concern about aspects of Brissett's plays is getting shouted down by a minority here on the board and accusations of being negative/a hater etc. Posting the same things over and over doesn't make them valid. Ignoring when people point out what you've posted isn't true doesn't make it true. I think if you look at the tenured posters who know what they're on about (and no I don't include myself in that), most are saying the same things about Brissett. 

To be fair to @EastStreet, a lot of the concerns he raises are valid, maybe strongly put, but still valid. I may be wrong, but I don't read it as he's calling for Brissett to be dropped, or for a QB to be drafted next year, instead being cautious about what we've got with him. 

People have thrown up Big Ben and Brady as QBs who took time to develop, fair. They had good D's and a running game that allowed them that luxury, and we are fortunate to have a degree of both now, certainly when compared to Grigson era rosters. But that being said, even in his formative years Big Ben was light years ahead of Brissett in terms of key metrics such as Y/A, granted at the cost of  higher INT%. Brady is a more in line statistically, and probably in play style.

Why is it so abhorrent to say that he's done very well so far, but the training wheels have to come off at some point, and it's better in games we're in control rather than when we find ourselves having to throw to win a game in a shootout. Okay put it another way, and I'm not saying this is the case with him. But I'd say if he ends up being a Dalton level QB, then it in the long term makes it harder to have long term sustained success. Good enough to start, good enough to win enough games that you're not drafting high. Not quite good enough to be able to put a team on his back when needed. Sure you might get a year where you have a good run, but it's less likely. A few exceptions aside, the QBs in a Super Bowl tend to be "franchise" guys. The exceptions that jump out to me recently are Flacco and Foles (and that was a unique situation). Look at the damage Flacco did to the Ravens in the long term. 

He's not a rookie. He's had time to sit and develop and learn from some of the best in the business. If he doesn't get some stuff by now, such as making progressions and not locking onto a receiver, that's worrying. That's rookie type stuff that should be ironed out by now. 

We're all Colts fans, we all want the team to win. Why wouldn't I want him to become the guy? We all want to have the best players right? He's also very likable as a personality and face of the franchise. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to have honest conversations about what I see on the field, and I'm certainly going challenge people who post things that are just aren't reality. 

Sorry man, you got my rant, not aimed at you in particular. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This thread is dumb and irrelevant....kelly has never been a starter and he's not on an active roster so trying to make a case saying he's better than brissett you're only making yourself look dumb

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Sorry man, you got my rant, not aimed at you in particular.

No worries.  I don't necessarily disagree with @EastStreet, I mean, I've got my blue-colored glasses on, and even I can see that Brissett isn't where we want him to be yet.

I'm just an eternal optimist.  (I'll try not to be the torch-n-pitchfork-carrying kind, though)  :thmup:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

No worries.  I don't necessarily disagree with @EastStreet, I mean, I've got my blue-colored glasses on, and even I can see that Brissett isn't where we want him to be yet.

I'm just an eternal optimist.  (I'll try not to be the torch-n-pitchfork-carrying kind, though)  :thmup:

There's nothing wrong with being an optimist, I tend to give Colts players the benefit of the doubt for too long, because well they're "our guys" aren't they. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

At least highlight videos are capsules of actual NFL service time

how did I know you would try to justify that..... :facepalm:

2 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

There's nothing wrong with being an optimist, I tend to give Colts players the benefit of the doubt for too long, because well they're "our guys" aren't they. 

There are people on here making very personal attacks

33 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

how did I know you would try to justify that..... :facepalm:

Eh.  It's worth bringing up when you try to compare them to preaseason games.

That were also highlights.

I mean neither of them are actually reliable but it's a question of degrees here

Does a troll ever come here disguised as an optimistic Colt fan? No. They come here at opportunistic times and are negative nellies. Chiding most of us, denigrating the players, etc...It  becomes difficult to differentiate between the trolls and the “objective” or “non fanboy” posters who are supposedly bringing light to our darkened eyes. They seem so incredibly much alike. There in lies the problem as to why some of us are defensive of our team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Eh.  It's worth bringing up when you try to compare them to preaseason games.

That were also highlights.

I mean neither of them are actually reliable but it's a question of degrees here

dear god the point of people's posts always seems to go right over both of your heads. no one should use either to evaluate a player period the end. stop trying to justify highlight videos you wont win.

4 hours ago, CoachLite said:

Re: "... if Kelly really had that kind of talent he’d be on someone’s roster right now", that is a faulty premise - an over-generalized assumption that may not be true.

Why else would he not be on an active roster?

7 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

dear god the point of people's posts always seems to go right over both of your heads. no one should use either to evaluate a player period the end. stop trying to justify highlight videos you wont win.

Highlight Footage is the Cliff Note Version of Game Film

Every coaching staff in every sport and league around the world use them every week of their season use them in some form to prepare for the next game and/or series

• Like 2

The correct plan would be to keep him around and see if he can beat Hoyer out. If he is who we think he is then that should happen. That would allow him to stay on the roster. Then from there hes in position to compete with Brissett. Let him show hes committed to the job and keep working his way up. If he beats Brissett out on down the line he will have really earned it because Brissett does everything the right way in terms of preparation and the unseen details. They will be looking at all that. Not just arm talent.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Every coaching staff in every sport and league around the world use them every week of their season use them in some form to prepare for the next game and/or series

Right, and at times it's the only film we have.  Personally I don't have recordings of games to go back and watch because I don't have a DVR.  Highlights are all I have.  So if it's all I'll have it's what I'll use.

That said major media analysts use highlight analysis all the time too.  Baldy's breakdowns focus on key plays that show the player at his best, in order to showcase their talent and make insightful points about what teams are trying to do on the field.

Not to mention breaking down key plays in order to learn more about the game and its players IS LITERALLY what film analytics is

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Why else would he not be on an active roster?

Bottom line, teams don't trust him.

And not without reason.

Ballard clearly doesn't trust him either considering he went out of his way to grab a mentor QB rather than let Kelly be 1 injury away from leading the team.

22 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I find it funny, that most of the anti-Kelly crowd are also "the coaches and front office are perfect and always right" crowd. 

I'm not calling for Kelly to start now, or anything like that, but I'm also not impressed with JB in the first 5 games. 

Rankings

Completion %: 19th (should be better than this given the short passing attack, and ranked second to last in downfield passing attempts)

QBR: 18th

In short, very inconsistent, and very mediocre thus far. And that's with an O that has been tailored to make it easy on him.

I'm not saying he can't improve. We all should hope he improves and turns out to be the "guy". At the same time, we should all hope Kelly improves and develops, in the case that JB isn't the guy.

Im not disappointed in Brissett but im also not 100% impressed with him either I don't think we are a contender with him starting.

22 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I find it funny, that most of the anti-Kelly crowd are also "the coaches and front office are perfect and always right" crowd. 

Rankings

Completion %: 19th (should be better than this given the short passing attack, and ranked second to last in downfield passing attempts)

QBR: 18th

In short, very inconsistent, and very mediocre thus far. And that's with an O that has been tailored to make it easy on him.

I'm not saying he can't improve. We all should hope he improves and turns out to be the "guy". At the same time, we should all hope Kelly improves and develops, in the case that JB isn't the guy.

But he is winning.  Frank Reich-

“I just think he’s playing winning football week in and week out,” the head coach said. “Jacoby is very unselfish. He has a good feel for each game, for what it takes to win each game. When he has had to throw it more for us to win, he embraces that. Then when we’ve got it going in the run game, he feels that. He’s on the sideline calling for runs as well. He’s handled the communication, A+.”

22 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

There is no guarantee he stays on the PS. Some team might have QB issues this year and pick him off the PS. 

That would give an indication of the Colts desire to keep him as they could then sign him to their 53 at that point and keep him.

22 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

If he’s not figured out how to use his arm by now... 

if he was flinging it around, but tossing picks because he’s made a bad read of the D, I could understand that more. 

Either he’s not ready for the training wheels to come off, which is also worrying given his experience, or he’s gun shy. 

Some guys are never ready for the training wheels to come off.  Take- Jameis Winston first pick in the  draft 2015. Freshman Heisman Trophy winner, Rose Bowl as sophomore. College baseball player too (like Wilson and Mahomes). His head coach is Bruce Arians, the QB whisperer.  Winston is now going into his 5th year in the league! Today in London Jameis posted these numbers-

C/ATT    YDS    %      TD    INT    SACKS    RTG       Y/A
Jameis Winston       30/54    400   55.5      1        5        7-35        46        7.40

Of course the Bucs lost, to 'game manage' Kyle Allen and Panthers-

C/ATT    YDS    %      TD    INT    SACKS    RTG       Y/A
Kyle Allen                 20/32    209   62.5      2        0        2-18     104.6      6.53

I'd rather win wih Kyle's game manager numbers than lose with Jameis massive and gaudy passing.

3 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

:facepalm: christ this is so annoying....

15 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Because Brissett isn’t as bad as you want him to be.  He also isn’t as great as some others make him out to be.  He’s a game manager.  He’s not elite but he’s not Curtis Painter either.  He’s a middle of the pack to lower end NFL starter which is about what he was projected to be when Reich said he was a top 20 QB.  You can win with that in the NFL if you develop the right kind of team around him.  That’s what the Colts are trying to do.  The Ravens, Bucs, early Brady Pats teams, and the Eagles have all used that formula to win Super Bowls.  It can be done.  

Can the Colts upgrade over Brissett?  Sure but it’s going to be hard to do and if Kelly really had that kind of talent he’d be on someone’s roster right now.  Don’t believe me the Jets just cut the kid whose been starting while Darnold was out because he was awful.  If they even thought there was a chance Chad Kelly could be an elite QB he would have been there.  Samething with the Bengals, Vikings, or Steelers who are starting an undrafted rookie this week and badly need a succession plan to Ben.  

The Colts could also do a lot worse than Brissett, have any interest in watching Kirk Cousins, Andy Dalton, or Luke Falk try to be the Colts QB?  Honestly, given his salary the Colts are in better shape at QB than a team like the Bears or Vikings that have committed big money to guys who just aren’t very good.  Should they be able to get someone better than can move on from Jacoby fairly easily but they are also protected for this year and next if they can’t.  

Blisteringly accurate. 

1 hour ago, colt18 said:

His point is moot because his entire career is due to white privilege. He’s been involved in nonesense since high school, it’s ignorant to believe otherwise.

And he was arrested for that nonsense, just like Pacman.

What's your point?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Unlike Pac-Man, he’s not talented enough to overcome his nonsense. The only reason he’s gotten this far is because he’s white and he’s related to a former player.

I don’t know why the two are even being compared. They aren’t on the same level as far as talent.

Race has nothing do with it but I agree with you because Jim Kelly is his uncle is why he gets chance after chance. JB is a better QB IMO and is a better person.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Unlike Pac-Man, he’s not talented enough to overcome his nonsense. The only reason he’s gotten this far is because he’s white and he’s related to a former player.

I don’t know why the two are even being compared. They aren’t on the same level as far as talent.

As @2006Coltsbestever and @Lucky Colts Fan have said it is more to do with talent and name recognition that race

• Like 2

4 hours ago, colt18 said:

Pacman is black so no, try again

As others have said you don't understand, and for that reason, I'm out.

13 minutes ago, colt18 said:

The only reason he’s gotten this far is because he’s white and he’s related to a former player.

I'll admit that Reich might be doing Jim Kelly a favor by giving Chad another chance as a Colt, but Ballard wouldn't have signed off on it if the kid didn't have the potential to be a starter in the NFL.

It would probably be the same situation if Reich had a similar relationship with Warren Moon, who had a talented knucklehead nephew looking for one more chance in the NFL.

His uncle might be a factor, and his talent is definitely a factor, but his race is definitely NOT a factor.

7 minutes ago, fahlman said:

So if it's "white privilege" in Chad Kelly's case, what was it in Adam Jones' case?

Adam Jones was a top 10 pick. Are we really having trouble understanding why he was given more chances that Mr. Irrelevant? Smh

14 minutes ago, fahlman said:

I can't help myself. Chad Kelly was considered the most talented quarterback in the draft by the same General Manger who picked Peyton Manning over Ryan Leaf, Bill Polian. Chad Kelly was Mr. Irrelevant due to his off-field problems. If he would have had "white privilege" as you claim, he would have been drafted much higher. Chad Kelly is a talented Quarterback who was guilty of misdemeanor second-degree criminal trespassing. Chad Kelly was released by the Denver Broncos due to this charge. Chad Kelly has been waived once by the Colts and cleared waivers by all 31 other NFL teams. Chad Kelly has been given the chance to prove himself by being given a spot on the Colt's Practice Squad, the Practice Squad! I having trouble finding this mysterious "white privilege" you speak of.

Kelly can play, the question is long term whether he's better than JB and if so, is he better enough to make a change?  This team won't be making any changes in QB1 this year for sure and if they do, which they won't, it would fall to Hoyer. 

I wouldn't discount Kelly as having real potential, he can play, but let's all be smart about it.  I think he's on the PS and not the active roster for this very reason, dude can light it up but needs to prove himself and show he's capable of the weight of the job over time, still a lot to earn for him.  Meanwhile, back at the farm, Jacoby is on grind and we need to put the weight of Colt nation firmly behind him.  

So here's to JB kicking butt and hoping that Kelly someday blossoms into the player he's capable of being!  

See you at the drum! 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Brady was a game manager in a couple of his. He didn’t become the start he is until he already had a couple. 

I guess I have become used to the exciting Manning/Luck style of QB and before that the Unitas/Bert Jones style. I have a difficult time watching "Checkdown Charlie" Brissett run the Colts team. I have NFL Sunday Ticket and I find myself watching other teams now more than the Colts...and I have been a Colts fan for more than 50 years. Too bad we don't have Deshaun Watson instead.

• Sad 1