Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Rebel

Colts Looking to Develop Chad Kelly

Recommended Posts

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Geez he has had two rookies that suddenly got more snaps than they were ready for. He had barely any snaps with Cain in TC. None in the preseason. Don’t you think it’s fair before making any kind of judgement that he can’t improve. The article I read is Cain and him are working on it everyday in practice on the side. Reich even mentioned can Cain still needs to run the right routes. The film that we see of Cain open there is no way to know if that was the correct route called.


Go find the post where I said he can’t improve...it will be among the ones saying patience is required. But he’s not a rookie, and he’s got more to work with then a lot of rookies who have come into this league and shown more. 
 

Also dear lord if you think Cain ran the wrong route, you’re grasping now. 

 

Your shtick becomes more troll like each day. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

 

Honest question. If we end up 8-8 or worse, and JB's stats rank in the bottom half at the end of the year, are you happy with starting the 2020 season with JB as the "guy". 

The odds of that are actually pretty low right now.  We just got through the toughest part of our schedule, including the toughest game we're probably going to have played all year, and we have a winning record.  The games from here get easier, not harder.  Especially if the players on the actual roster improve the way I hope they will

 

We have a pretty solid chance of equaling our 10 win season from last year.  Brissett isn't nearly as good as Luck but the team didn't dig as big a hole either and Mack in particular and the RBs in general have really improved.  I don't see us going 5-6 over the rest of the season.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I said if he improves he our best bet. I don’t get wanting to throw him away 5 games into the season. Especially when their is clearly WR issues. You don’t think Reich being a former QB can help him improve? Sitting on the bench is one thing but actually playing is where you gain the experience.


I’ve never said I want to throw him away after 5 games. Poor attempt at a straw man. Try again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

We won’t really know anything until next preseason.  They’ll most likely give Kelly first team reps, and he may actually play against real NFL players.  
 

That’s the only way to evaluate him.  
 

But, the way the trend is going, we may not see any first team players on either side of the ball.  

I don’t think Kelly will ever get a chance to be a starter with the colts. No matter how much he stays out of trouble they will never be able to trust him. You want to be able to give to sleep without worrying about your QB. Right now he could eventually be the backup next season or he is going to be on another team.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

 

Also dear lord if you think Cain ran the wrong route, you’re grasping now. 

Point of order;  Chloe didn't think Cain wrong the wrong route.  Chloe said REICH thought Cain ran the wrong route.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think Kelly will ever get a chance to be a starter with the colts. No matter how much he stays out of trouble they will never be able to trust him. You want to be able to give to sleep without worrying about your QB. Right now he could eventually be the backup next season or he is going to be on another team.

Hoyer is probably still here next year.  Ballard paid a premium for him for a reason.  I honestly think Hoyer's work behind the scenes has a lot to do with how Brissett has developed as one of the league's better game managers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Imgrandojji said:

Point of order;  Chloe didn't think Cain wrong the wrong route.  Chloe said REICH thought Cain ran the wrong route.


She took a generalised comment by Reich and made out it was specific to that play. 
 

are you suggesting that he wasn’t meant to running a deep route on that play? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:


She took a generalised comment by Reich and made out it was specific to that play. 
 

are you suggesting that he wasn’t meant to running a deep route on that play? 

i'd have to look at the video on that play, but there's more than 1 kind of deep route. 

 

Could you please give me the time of game where the play happened so I can look up what you're referring to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

 

Honest question. If we end up 8-8 or worse, and JB's stats rank in the bottom half at the end of the year, are you happy with starting the 2020 season with JB as the "guy". 

We are sitting here at 3-2 with a good schedule after the bye. What would even make you think that is going to happen. If we get through this stretch at 7-3 all we have to do is split the last three games to have the same record as last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

A lot of people had us at 3-2 with luck. Yes we are hoping he is the guy because I don’t want to have to start over at QB. Our best chance to win a SB the next 2-3 years is having him improve and be the guy so we don’t have to start over and set this team back. I really wish people would stop saying we are defending him at no cost. None of us are saying he doesn’t need to improve. We are just giving him the season before we say he can’t.

 

That 3-2 prediction assumed LAC was going to be good (they are not), and KC would be healthy. LAC is mediocre, and we still lost. The Raiders aren't good, and we got beat at home. If you put a healthy Luck on this team, we're more than likely 5-0.

 

Again, not saying JB can't improve. What I am saying is that he has some very fundamental limitations right now. I'm also saying his mediocre performances are not because of our WRs or TEs.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:


She took a generalised comment by Reich and made out it was specific to that play. 
 

are you suggesting that he wasn’t meant to running a deep route on that play? 

Sirriani mentioned the same thing that Cain still has to learn to run the correct routes. The comments were a generalized statement from both Reich and Sirriani. It wasn’t about a certain play. I was just saying it’s possible without knowing what was called. Pascal also cost Ebron a TD by doing it in the end zone I think in the Atlanta game. He also ran the wrong route in the Oakland game on the pick 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

 

 

 

That 3-2 prediction assumed LAC was going to be good (they are not), and KC would be healthy. LAC is mediocre, and we still lost. The Raiders aren't good, and we got beat at home. If you put a healthy Luck on this team, we're more than likely 5-0.

 

Again, not saying JB can't improve. What I am saying is that he has some very fundamental limitations right now. I'm also saying his mediocre performances are not because of our WRs or TEs.

The raiders just beat the Bears and scored points against that defense. They are not bad. They held KC scoreless in three quarters and had a 10-0 lead on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

 

 

 

That 3-2 prediction assumed LAC was going to be good (they are not), and KC would be healthy. LAC is mediocre, and we still lost. The Raiders aren't good, and we got beat at home. If you put a healthy Luck on this team, we're more than likely 5-0.

 

Again, not saying JB can't improve. What I am saying is that he has some very fundamental limitations right now. I'm also saying his mediocre performances are not because of our WRs or TEs.

You are seriously cherry picking.

 

The Chargers aren't as good as we thought they were, OK, the Raiders are better than we thought they were, and the Titans are probably a little better than we thought as well.  These things have a way of averaging out.

 

The most amazing thing in your whole post is calling a team with exactly the same record we have "terrible" with absolutely no self consciousness whatsoever.  The Raiders managed to pull a good OL out of their backside and that really solidified tthe worsst of their issues.

 

  If they can actually play with discipline down the stretch, which is usually the issue that holds the Raiders back, they could surprise some people this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think Kelly will ever get a chance to be a starter with the colts. No matter how much he stays out of trouble they will never be able to trust him. You want to be able to give to sleep without worrying about your QB. Right now he could eventually be the backup next season or he is going to be on another team.

Chad Kelly is not Satan incarnate. His teammates always like him and trust him. He has their respect. He's 25 and likes to drink when he's not playing ball. He illegally sat on someone's couch. So what? Kelly didn't illegally sell weapons to Iran to fund a secret war in Central America. He didn't murder over a million Iraqis.

 

Jesus H. You people think a 25 year old guy sitting on a couch is somehow unforgiveable? It's quarterback of a GAME, not the fate of all our lives FFS. Just let the guy play. He will kill it. Kelly has more talent in his pinky finger than Brissett. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rebel said:

Chad Kelly is not Satan incarnate. His teammates always like him and trust him. He has their respect. He's 25 and likes to drink when he's not playing ball. He illegally sat on someone's couch. So what? Kelly illegally sell weapons to Iran to fund an illegal war in Central America. He didn't murder over a million Iraqis based upon lies.

 

Jesus H. You people think a 25 year old guy sitting on a couch is somehow unforgiveable? It's quarterback of a GAME, not the fate of all our lives FFS. Just let the guy play. He will kill it. Kelly has more talent in his pinky finger than Brissett. 


I hope Kelly does well. But you’re basing your judgements on his play against second and thirds in meaningless preseason games.  
 

Your last sentence is incredibly subjective.  You have the right to have your opinion.  But you may as well say Kelly is better than Brady with the same evidence.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Chad Kelly is not Satan incarnate. His teammates always like him and trust him. He has their respect. He's 25 and likes to drink when he's not playing ball. He illegally sat on someone's couch. So what? Kelly didn't illegally sell weapons to Iran to fund an illegal war in Central America. He didn't murder over a million Iraqis based upon lies.

 

Jesus H. You people think a 25 year old guy sitting on a couch is somehow unforgiveable? It's quarterback of a GAME, not the fate of all our lives FFS. Just let the guy play. He will kill it. Kelly has more talent in his pinky finger than Brissett. 

The QB position is one position you can’t take a chance on. You don’t know what Kelly can do because he has never played.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

We are sitting here at 3-2 with a good schedule after the bye. What would even make you think that is going to happen. If we get through this stretch at 7-3 all we have to do is split the last three games to have the same record as last season.

 

here's how I see our remaining schedule. Remove the 3 toss up games and we're 7-6. If we lose next week (one of the toss ups), I think we're 8-8, maybe 7-9.

 

1 automatic win (Miami)

3 should win (Denver, Carolina, Titans)

3 toss ups (Houston, Pitt, Jags)

4 losses (at Houston, at Jags, at NO, at Bucs)

 

Houston - Toss up

 

Broncos - We should win, but Denver is good vs the pass. I can see them selling out vs the run, and still being able to man up vs our WRs (making JB win the game).

 

at Pitt - Toss up. Sure they are without BB, but it's in Pitt, and we've always struggled there.

 

Miami  - automatic win

 

Jags - Toss up

 

at Houston - loss

 

Titans - win

 

at Bucs - loss (Bucs are one of the best teams vs the run. JB will have to win this on the road)

 

at NO - loss

 

Panthers - probably a win

 

at Jags - loss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The QB position is one position you can’t take a chance on.

Yep.  There's a reasonn other teams wouldn't touch Chad Kelly with a 10 foot pole.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

 

here's how I see our remaining schedule. Remove the 3 toss up games and we're 7-6. If we lose next week (one of the toss ups), I think we're 8-8, maybe 7-9.

 

1 automatic win (Miami)

3 should win (Denver, Carolina, Titans)

3 toss ups (Houston, Pitt, Jags)

4 losses (at Houston, at Jags, at NO, at Bucs)

 

Houston - Toss up

 

Broncos - We should win, but Denver is good vs the pass. I can see them selling out vs the run, and still being able to man up vs our WRs (making JB win the game).

 

at Pitt - Toss up. Sure they are without BB, but it's in Pitt, and we've always struggled there.

 

Miami  - automatic win

 

Jags - Toss up

 

at Houston - loss

 

Titans - win

 

at Bucs - loss (Bucs are one of the best teams vs the run. JB will have to win this on the road)

 

at NO - loss

 

Panthers - probably a win

 

at Jags - loss

This defense should improve immensely also. We know how things turn out sometimes different then what we think. So who knows. The chances of that are pretty low with Reich as the head coach and the defense improving.  Not to mention getting funchess back for that jags game. Everyone on this team should improve. Including the rookies who are playing a ton.  Barring a major injury especially to the oline I think the sky is the limit for this team. We will find out how good they are this next five games. Good teams don’t lose to bad teams. We have the best oline in the league so who is to say we still won’t be able to run against good rush defenses. There is no reason to think this team is going to regress. Last year we improved as the season went on. Which I fully expect them to do this year.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You don’t know what Kelly can do because he has never played.

 

The boy can play football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rebel said:

 

The boy can play football.

Lol. You’ve can’t go by the preseason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The raiders just beat the Bears and scored points against that defense. They are not bad. They held KC scoreless in three quarters and had a 10-0 lead on them.

The Raiders beat a Chicago team who was without their starting QB and #2 WR. They were also down two DLs and an ILB. And it was in London (listed as a Chicago home game).

 

Not putting too much stock in that win. Talk to me at the end of the year when they don't make the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The QB position is one position you can’t take a chance on. You don’t know what Kelly can do because he has never played.

umm you could have said the same thing about Luck before he played back in 2012 for us and he did fine. your just being judgmental of Kelly which is why ur statement makes no sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chad Kelly is lucky that he is in 2019 not 1989 because I am not sure he would have made it through college

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:


Impossible to say, but if Brissett has played the last 5 games because of injury say, i.e as the actual backup, I do wonder if we wouldn’t be seeing such fervent defence of him. 
 

He’s done a good job so far, probably all you could expect. You’d be loving 3-2 with your “back up” QB.

 

However as he’s not, I think some are desperately hoping he’s the guy and and have lost all perspective when it comes to analysing his play this far.

He is the backup.    Luck was the starter and retired.   Brissett might not be the long term answer,   but he is the best qb on the roster

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

He is the backup.    Luck was the starter and retired.   Brissett might not be the long term answer,   but he is the best qb on the roster

Agreed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Chad Kelly is not Satan incarnate. His teammates always like him and trust him. He has their respect. He's 25 and likes to drink when he's not playing ball. He illegally sat on someone's couch. So what? Kelly didn't illegally sell weapons to Iran to fund a secret war in Central America. He didn't murder over a million Iraqis.

 

Jesus H. You people think a 25 year old guy sitting on a couch is somehow unforgiveable? It's quarterback of a GAME, not the fate of all our lives FFS. Just let the guy play. He will kill it. Kelly has more talent in his pinky finger than Brissett. 

So if it isn't the off field issues,   why isn't he on an active roster?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Lol. You’ve can’t go by the preseason. 

Would Kelly's passes have been any less accurate if he were throwing to 1st string receivers? Is everyone on that field not wearing a professional football NFL uniform? Would Kelly's runs have been any slower with the 1st string line protecting him?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Chad Kelly is not Satan incarnate. His teammates always like him and trust him. He has their respect. He's 25 and likes to drink when he's not playing ball. He illegally sat on someone's couch. So what? Kelly didn't illegally sell weapons to Iran to fund a secret war in Central America. He didn't murder over a million Iraqis.

 

Jesus H. You people think a 25 year old guy sitting on a couch is somehow unforgiveable? It's quarterback of a GAME, not the fate of all our lives FFS. Just let the guy play. He will kill it. Kelly has more talent in his pinky finger than Brissett. 

will ferrell chill GIF

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

You are seriously cherry picking.

 

The Chargers aren't as good as we thought they were, OK, the Raiders are better than we thought they were, and the Titans are probably a little better than we thought as well.  These things have a way of averaging out.

 

The most amazing thing in your whole post is calling a team with exactly the same record we have "terrible" with absolutely no self consciousness whatsoever.  The Raiders managed to pull a good OL out of their backside and that really solidified tthe worsst of their issues.

 

  If they can actually play with discipline down the stretch, which is usually the issue that holds the Raiders back, they could surprise some people this year.

If I'm cherry picking, so is ESPN and every other media outlet. 

 

From a power ranking perspective, the teams we've played are LAC (19th), TN (20th), OAK (21st), and ATL (25th). If you add in KC (3rd), you better put a huge asterisk by it lol...  That's a very weak SoS.

 

Before week one, LAC was 6th, ATL was 16th, TN was 20th, and the Raiders 26th. 

 

I'd bet, by the end of the month, the Raiders are below .500 and ranked worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rebel said:

Would Kelly's passes have been any less accurate if he were throwing to 1st string receivers? Is everyone on that field not wearing a professional football NFL uniform? Would Kelly's runs have been any slower with the 1st string line protecting him?

Your forgetting about defenses. What happens when they blitz or rush the passer or throw different looks at him. What happens when there is a Khalil Mack on the defense rushing.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

If I'm cherry picking, so is ESPN and every other media outlet. 

 

From a power ranking perspective, the teams we've played are LAC (19th), TN (20th), OAK (21st), and ATL (25th). If you add in KC (3rd), you better put a huge asterisk by it lol...  That's a very weak SoS.

 

Before week one, LAC was 6th, ATL was 16th, TN was 20th, and the Raiders 26th. 

 

I'd bet, by the end of the month, the Raiders are below .500 and ranked worse.

This is real football not fantasy and the 60+ people employed be the team care less about Power rankings 

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Your forgetting about defenses. What happens when they blitz or rush the passer or throw different looks at him. What happens when there is a Khalil Mack on the defense rushing.

Exactly what I was thinking 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rebel said:

https://www.1075thefan.com/blogs/kevins-corner/colts-coverage/colts-looking-further-develop-quarterback-chad-kelly

 

"INDIANAPOLIS – This time last year, when Chad Kelly took the practice field with the Denver Broncos, he was one play away from being a starting quarterback."

 

------------------------------

 

What a waste of opportunity and talent. You have a QB that could crush the opposition, yet you have Brissett that throws for 150 yds a game. 

Talk about EXTREMES this is it by a mile reading the last paragraph. When will this stop lmao 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Your forgetting about defenses. What happens when they blitz or rush the passer or throw different looks at him. What happens when there is a Khalil Mack on the defense rushing.

If your argument is that he was playing vs 3rd string defense, you also have to acknowledge that his offense was also 3rd string. And still again, would those passes have been any less on the money had Kelly been passing to 1st string receivers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Your forgetting about defenses. What happens when they blitz or rush the passer or throw different looks at him. What happens when there is a Khalil Mack on the defense rushing.

Then Kelly will deal with them the same way rookie Luck dealt with the pressure. dont forget Kelly is also a mobile threat 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This defense should improve immensely also. We know how things turn out sometimes different then what we think. So who knows. The chances of that are pretty low with Reich as the head coach and the defense improving.  Not to mention getting funchess back for that jags game. Everyone on this team should improve. Including the rookies who are playing a ton.  Barring a major injury especially to the oline I think the sky is the limit for this team. We will find out how good they are this next five games. Good teams don’t lose to bad teams. We have the best oline in the league so who is to say we still won’t be able to run against good rush defenses. There is no reason to think this team is going to regress. Last year we improved as the season went on. Which I fully expect them to do this year.

 

We won't know how good we are after playing the next 5. We'll know after we play the last 7.

 

Right now, a team that either has 1) a good rush D in general, or 2) a good pass D that can sell out to stop the run, will give us problems. At some point, JB will have to start winning games, instead of managing them. The blueprint is out there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rebel said:

If your argument is that he was playing vs 3rd string defense, you also have to acknowledge that his offense was also 3rd string. And still again, would those passes have been any less on the money had Kelly been passing to 1st string receivers?

NO the point is there is more to playing QB then throwing a accurate pass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

This is real football not fantasy and the 60+ people employed be the team care less about Power rankings 

 

great fanboy reply. 

i can toss out stats that support the power rankings, but that wouldn't matter to you either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Oh, that's what I fear, for sure.  But even if that's the case.... What's the long term solution?  Who starts at QB in whatever city they have to play in in 2030?  Jk.... slightly.... That damage won't be undone soon, or easily.... Surrounding talent won't fix his issues, just raise the floor a game or two.
    • Oh, the players already know that, regardless of who starts jn The present, past, future, they are well aware JB isn't a true #1 leader at the qb going forward.  Stop gap? Sure... If there's an endgame.
    • This list does not fit the narrative you are trying to put forward.  Only 2 would even be close and even they had chances.    Browns and Redskins don't even count; they are dysfunctional franchises who had plenty of chances but couldn’t get out of their own way.   Dolphins, Titans, and Bears all could have had good QBs if not for trying for retreads, sticking with a player too long (Mariota, Tannehill), and/or missing when they had good players available to draft (Ryan, Mahomes, Watson). Also jury still out on Trubisky.   Vikings and Broncos have not had the best luck with QBs lately, but they have also lingered in the mediocre to good record zone a lot which doesn't help them getting a high draft pick for QB . They also got a few good seasons out of retreads which helped them in the short term, but not the long term. Although in the Broncos case I am sure they will take their SB with PM.   I will give you the Jets, they have had some bad luck. When they did have good picks there wasn’t much available; although jury still out on Darnold (also they could have taken Lamar Jackson). Buffalo also had some bad luck for a few years, but they also blew their chance to draft Mahomes (though Allen may still turn into something).   During the last few years all these teams have had periods where they had a player/or players  as good or better than JB and it didn't amount to much other than keeping them from a top draft pick. If you don't have an very good - elite QB you are just playing the lottery hoping for one of those all the stars perfectly aligned runs that rarely happen.
    • Thanks for this.   My favorite part is his tackle at 5:30.  
    • Not a big deal.     Brissett puts fans in an odd position.   He is almost the definition of average.  His QB rating is average.  His yards per game is below average but his INT % is above average.  So I can understand supporters and detractors.  
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...