Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Texans after the bye

Four2itus

I made a mistake in my first thread, so I am posting it again. I was too late to edit. Here goes....

This matchup is likely going to help define either team for the first half of the season. The Colts get a week off for the bye, and boy do they need the healing time. The Texans go into Arrowhead this week, and they are either going to take advantage of the hurting we gave the Chiefs and get a win, or they are going to run into a * off buzzsaw. If the Texans get the win and then manage to beat the Colts, they will be in the drivers seat and get the recognition. If they lose the the Chiefs, and then lose at Lucas Oil the next week, The Colts will (likely) be in the drivers seat and get the recognition. I say likely, because the Texans bye week (10) is the same week we play the Dolphins at home. I don't know for sure because "Any Given Sunday", but it is very possible that we gain a win on them that week. 

At the time of this post, the Texans have the 10th ranked offense, and have faced the defenses ranked:

Saints (Away) -        21st (in the week they played per Fox stats) Current ranking - 14th

Jaguars (Home) -      7th (in the week they played per Fox stats) Current ranking - 24th

Chargers (Away)  - 18th (in the week they played per Fox stats) Current ranking - 11th

Panthers (Home)  - 20th (in the week they played per Fox stats) Current ranking -   8th

Falcons - (Home)  - 18th (in the week they played per Fox stats) Current ranking - 23rd

The Colts are currently 15th in defense. The Texans had an even point differential through week four (points scored vs points allowed) and exploded in week 5. 

• Like 2

It’s crazy to me that the colts defense is ranked 15th. Last game really helped them. This is about the time the defense last year came together and had the number one defense over the second half of the season. I am concerned about the Texans WR. They are loaded this year. We will see if TY and JB  can finally hit the big one so Ty can be his normal great self against the Texans.

Additional data to help flesh this out:

Saints (Away) -        21st ranked D - Texans scored: 28, Texans lose

Jaguars (Home) -      7th ranked D - Texans scored: 13, Texans win

Chargers (Away)  - 18th ranked D - Texans scored: 27, Texans win

Panthers (Home)  - 20th ranked D - Texans scored: 10, Texans lose

Falcons - (Home)  - 18th ranked D - Texans scored: 53, Texans win

Not seeing a lot of correlation here. 

• Like 2

Houston has beat the bad teams : Jags are awful, Chargers one of the biggest dissapointments in the league and Falcons cant buy a win and lost to the good teams in Saints and Panthers (I consider Carolina good because Christian Mc having a possible mvp season).     This week they face a very good team that just got rocked by us in KC. Hard to see them winning this week.

1 hour ago, Dogg63 said:

Additional data to help flesh this out:

Saints (Away) -        21st ranked D - Texans scored: 28, Texans lose

Jaguars (Home) -      7th ranked D - Texans scored: 13, Texans win

Chargers (Away)  - 18th ranked D - Texans scored: 27, Texans win

Panthers (Home)  - 20th ranked D - Texans scored: 10, Texans lose

Falcons - (Home)  - 18th ranked D - Texans scored: 53, Texans win

Not seeing a lot of correlation here. 

When you look at that the Texans really haven’t scored many points. The Atlanta game is kind of a one off because they are so bad. They didn’t score many on a couple bad defenses.

3 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Houston has beat the bad teams : Jags are awful, Chargers one of the biggest dissapointments in the league and Falcons cant buy a win and lost to the good teams in Saints and Panthers (I consider Carolina good because Christian Mc having a possible mvp season).     This week they face a very good team that just got rocked by us in KC. Hard to see them winning this week.

Worth mentioning that the Colts played two of those bad teams and lost to one of them.  So I wouldn’t hang my hat on that nail too much.  This is a battle for control of the division and I expect both teams to bring their A game and have a hard fought game.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Worth mentioning that the Colts played two of those bad teams and lost to one of them.  So I wouldn’t hang my hat on that nail too much.  This is a battle for control of the division and I expect both teams to bring their A game and have a hard fought game.

Well said. Watson is clearly one of the best QBs in the league. We better hope that same defense shows up, and that we can run the ball.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Well said. Watson is clearly one of the best QBs in the league. We better hope that same defense shows up, and that we can run the ball.  

I am genuinely without a clear idea of how this will go. I usually have at least some sense of what will happen, but this matchup at this time, is really exciting. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, will426 said:

this right here he’s like mahomes but takes way more sacks  just blitz him and press his receivers at the line while you’re doing it but also make sure to contain in the pocket 

He hasn't  been sacked in two games

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IndySouthsider said:

He’s a very good QB, but he’s not a generational type like PM, TB, AL, or AR.

I think his upside is as much as Luck's.  

Kind of nit-picking though.

He's been crazy consistent and improving in the NFL.   

image.png.9ea30954b31736ce79ba04fe9a4af447.png

The Colts really need this win if they want to win the division.   A home game coming off a bye week should be the best case scenario for this game.  Houston is also going to be playing their second consecutive road game.   

• Like 1

We'll be fine as long as we can pin Watson in the pocket just like last year.  He's just like Mahomes in you have to keep him in that pocket and stop all that running around.  It's not enough to just rush 4 thouh unless you are bringing some stunts and twists.  You have to bring things that cause him to hurry his reads up. 

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

Surprisingly enough there's a decent amount of confidence amongst the Texan fans that they should get a fairly solid victory over us.    

every fan base we have played this year has felt that way.  they think the colts are trash now and should be fodder, the teams we beat all had some pretty * off fans

i didnt spend a ton of time there but the chiefs, titans and falcons boards all went insane after the colts games.  to be fair that happened here too after the raiders game and they have been decent themselves 

I think Watson is a good QB but we pretty much shut him down 2 games in a row last season at Houston. Watson isn't great IMO (he is good), I was more worried playing the Chiefs/Mahomes in KC that I am playing the Texans/Watson at Indy. This game coming up is a bigger game because it is a division game though. The Texans are like us, they play well at times and at times they look lethargic. Really it just boils down to controlling TOP like we did at KC and not making critical turnovers which JB normally doesn't. Keep Watson in the pocket and he becomes ordinary as well. I like our chances because of our O.Line, I think we can control the clock and keep Watson off the field, also coming off a BYE being at home really helps. Leonard will be back too. Edge goes to us % wise winning this game, something 55% to 45% IMO. I see a score like 24-20 Colts.

One last thing, has Houston ever stopped TY Hilton? If they have I can't recall it. He usually destroys them.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Watson is a good QB but we pretty much shut him down 2 games in a row last season at Houston. Watson isn't great IMO (he is good), I was more worried playing the Chiefs/Mahomes in KC that I am playing the Texans/Watson at Indy. This game coming up is a bigger game because it is a division game though. The Texans are like us, they play well at times and at times they look lethargic. Really it just boils down to controlling TOP like we did at KC and not making critical turnovers which JB normally doesn't. Keep Watson in the pocket and he becomes ordinary as well. I like our chances because of our O.Line, I think we can control the clock and keep Watson off the field, also coming off a BYE being at home really helps. Leonard will be back too. Edge goes to us % wise winning this game, something 55% to 45% IMO. I see a score like 24-20 Colts.

This is a big game.   Home off a bye should give the Colts the advantage, but it will be tough to come away with a win.  

Brissett lost both games to the Texans in 2017.  I don't count on history too much though.   Since Luck was the QB last year, I'm not sure how much we can take from those games.  Won 1 and lost 1 by 3 points last season.  In the loss, Luck threw the ball 62 times.  Watson threw it 42 times for 375 yards.   Hopkins tore us up with 10 catches for 169 yards.  The Colts didn't run the ball well in either game with 41 yards in the loss and 50 yards in the win.  

I'm picking the Colts to win coming off their bye, but this could go either way.  

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

This is a big game.   Home off a bye should give the Colts the advantage, but it will be tough to come away with a win.  

Brissett lost both games to the Texans in 2017.  I don't count on history too much though.   Since Luck was the QB last year, I'm not sure how much we can take from those games.  Won 1 and lost 1 by 3 points last season.  In the loss, Luck threw the ball 62 times.  Watson threw it 42 times for 375 yards.   Hopkins tore us up with 10 catches for 169 yards.  The Colts didn't run the ball well in either game with 41 yards in the loss and 50 yards in the win.  

I'm picking the Colts to win coming off their bye, but this could go either way.  

No JB is 3-0 against the Texans. He won both games as a colt and one with NE.

4 hours ago, krunk said:

We'll be fine as long as we can pin Watson in the pocket just like last year.  He's just like Mahomes in you have to keep him in that pocket and stop all that running around.  It's not enough to just rush 4 thouh unless you are bringing some stunts and twists.  You have to bring things that cause him to hurry his reads up. 

At times but you've got to contain a lot too.  Sometimes those stunts & twists gets guys out of their lanes or they lose that edge & he's gone and he'll hurt us.  I think we've got to play a lot of press man on 3rd downs to force tough throws to Hopkins.  

Because he will be looking there more often than not.  Our handoffs are going to have to be sharp because I watched how they diced up KC's corners with stacks & bunches. This would be a beautiful time for Big Q & the boys to establish their dominance on JJ Watt & the texans from this point forward...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stephen said:

He hasn't  been sacked in two games

there’s been a few more than 2 games and granted the last two teams def they played aren’t that good in coverage  or pass rush  Falcons/Chiefs  they didn’t play aggressive at all if we do we can sack him look at his first couple games and you’ll see 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

i agree with you can go either way but one thing i hope we do is come out passing the texans aren’t the Jags they don’t have the pass rush/secondary combo and one thing we’ve seemed to always do to them regardless who’s at qb is beat them passing especially Deep