Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So Now Some Colts Fan Hate Pm?

Mexicolt

We can say hundreds of great things PM has done for this team, city and state, but saying he prevented the team from relocating to LA etc is pure drivel.

They might not be in LA right now, but to think Peyton's presence really cemented this team in this city is really underestimating Peyton's importance to this team. This city really did nto care for the Colts before him. Sure there were occasions here and there with guys like Jim Harbaugh, but overall the interst was pretty low. You throw in a total bust in Ryan Leaf and it is pretty easy to see attedance going down, interst going down, and with how teams are so quick to move I would not be suprised if Manning in a way kept this team here.

I will not hate Manning, but as another poster said on another board I frequent if he goes to the Titans then the gloves come off. There is no hoping he does well. I will root for him to fail because his sucess in a Titans uniform only hurts the Colts.

I will be rooting for our defense to smash him and put him on his butt every single time they can.

Now if he goes to say Arizona then good for him and I hope he does well since he will be in the NFC, but to go to a divisional rival would just mean the gloves come off when rooting against him.

I love the guy and what he has done for the city, but I love the Colts more.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Something similar could be said about the Patriots IIRC and they went to the Super Bowl.

2 wins vs. teams over .500 is still far greater than 2 wins.

The Patriots didn't beat ANYONE over .500 in the regular season, then they beat the 8-8 Broncos, then beat a quality opponent in Baltimore.

I don't dislike the Titans, personally. I don't really dislike any team in the NFL. I won't feel any kind of way if he goes to the Titans. I actually would like that because they go to Indy this year, and I'd fly in for the Ring of Honor ceremony, with me and my family wearing #18 jerseys.

So if Manning comes here and 98 and has a Ryan Leaf performance, you don't think the odds of leaving for LA aren't exponentially increased? Good luck with that.

We take Leaf, he stinks it up or a year or two, and we probably draft someone else, who COULD have done a good job for us. We would also, in high probability, have drafted differently, and therefor could have ended up a very good team. Manning, although a superstar, is not the only QB to have entered the NFL in the last 14 years.

The hero worship is fine, but making up dramatic scenarios to hoist his legacy even higher is plain dumb.

I don't dislike the Titans, personally. I don't really dislike any team in the NFL. I won't feel any kind of way if he goes to the Titans. I actually would like that because they go to Indy this year, and I'd fly in for the Ring of Honor ceremony, with me and my family wearing #18 jerseys.

That's a nice thought, I think they will wait till he retires to do something like that, even though I agree that it should be done this year, either on his open date(if the schedules mesh), or if he were to play in Indy. I just doubt that it would happen with him playing, because I doubt he would want to be a part of the ceremony with a game to play.

Maybe a preseason game.

So if Manning comes here and 98 and has a Ryan Leaf performance, you don't think the odds of leaving for LA aren't exponentially increased? Good luck with that.

Had we not drafted Manning, we really don't know what the future would've held for the Colts. Perhaps we would've ended up with Eli? Or Rivers? With either of those QBs, perhaps we appear in more SBs. Who really knows?? It's mere speculation. Besides, even with Peyton, Chris Mortensen had us moving to L.A. around 2004. Jim Irsay never, ever publicly threatened to move the team.

We take Leaf, he stinks it up or a year or two, and we probably draft someone else, who COULD have done a good job for us. We would also, in high probability, have drafted differently, and therefor could have ended up a very good team. Manning, although a superstar, is not the only QB to have entered the NFL in the last 14 years.

The hero worship is fine, but making up dramatic scenarios to hoist his legacy even higher is plain dumb.

I don't need to make up or create dramatic scenario to hoist anything for him. He's done that one on his own.,

You can feel however you want about whether Manning busts out or if Leaf comes here under your scenario above. I will however keep my opinion of that to myself instead of expressing it as you did.

Not to mention he wasn't really a martyr. Every player risk their lives on the field. Peyton Manning was highly compensated.

I agree that he WAS the team and was the very reason this team was anything. He's likely the only reason the Colts are still in Indy, sure. I've never forget that and will always have the utmost respect for him. He's likely the greatest of all time, and at least in that debate. But he didn't play for free or just because he loved Indy. No one does. I understand that, he understands that, everyone understands that. He was paid very well and didn't sacrifice his body for nothing. We've always treated Peyton Manning like a business matter, and he's always treated the game like a business to make money in. Like every great leader and worker, he loved what he did. He loves his job. He loves the game of football. But that doesn't make it any less a business, even for him.

Exactly! He wasn't playing for this for nothing, heck he didn't even play for this for cheap. He was the top paid QB in the league, possibly deservingly so, but nonetheless this guy wasn't taking pay cuts or making sacrifices to his paycheck to help this team become better. Some say Irsay was the reason for this and Manning said he was willing to take a paycut, but I personally think that was just the organization letting itself look bad for Manning. If anything this organization bent backwards for Manning, more than most teams would have. Heck, Irsay had absolutely no problem being the bad guy in this situation with Manning. What owner does that when parting with a player? The fact is, he took most of the reps in practice and commanded a large salary. Two things that would make it nearly impossible for this team to rebuild. Luck will get better faster with actual gameplay rather than holding a clipboard and this team will be able to build faster and stronger without $28 million on the payroll.

I will always respect and love what Manning did for this team. I would certainly give him a standing ovation in his first game at LOS on any team. But if he goes to a division rival and plays the Colt twice a year, he will be the enemy. I don't wish him harm and I certainly don't want to see him get injured. But I also don't want him to beat the Colts twice a year. Anyone who does shouldn't be claiming to be a Colts fan and seriously needs to move on and get a membership to the forum for whatever team Manning plays for.

That's a nice thought, I think they will wait till he retires to do something like that, even though I agree that it should be done this year, either on his open date(if the schedules mesh), or if he were to play in Indy. I just doubt that it would happen with him playing, because I doubt he would want to be a part of the ceremony with a game to play.

Maybe a preseason game.

That's how we always do it, isn't it? We do the Ring of Honor ceremony for a notable player the next time he comes to Indy. I don't figure we'd pass on the opportunity.

Either way, I figured there'd be some sort of fan fare for his first game in Indy.

Had we not drafted Manning, we really don't know what the future would've held for the Colts. Perhaps we would've ended up with Eli? Or Rivers? With either of those QBs, perhaps we appear in more SBs. Who really knows?? It's mere speculation. Besides, even with Peyton, Chris Mortensen had us moving to L.A. around 2004. Jim Irsay never, ever publicly threatened to move the team.

I'm not saying not to draft him.

I'm saying we draft him and he struggles to perform at the same level he did.

I agree with what you say about Mortensen. Now imagine that same setting after struggling for 5 more years as opposed to 5 trips to the playoffs. It would be a far worse situation and nowhere near is a pretty.

I don't need to make up or create dramatic scenario to hoist anything for him. He's done that one his own.,

You can feel however you want about whether Manning busts out or if Leaf comes here under your scenario above. I will however keep my opinion of that to myself instead of expressing it as you did.

What?

You DID create a dramatic scenario, and you DIDN'T keep your opinion to yourself...

Or it's because he just wants to play. Also, it's not possible to be both a Colts fan and a Manning fan? It's only one or the other? I mean, this team would be in LA without him, after all. There would be no Lombardi to reflect upon without him, or AFC Championship banners, or countless AFC South Champion flags.

The only media reports out there (though they are 50/50 at best) say that Manning wanted to come back, but Irsay nixed it a few days before the press conference was held. Irsay said the decision would be Peyton's, but then turned around and declared the end of the Manning Era in Indianapolis. He made that decision. He admitted to making that decision. If Manning carves up the Colts playing for another team, I will cheer him on. That doesn't mean I won't cheer for the Colts "rebuilding" mode to be short-lived as well.

No I don't buy the idea that he just wants to play. He is in the twilight of his career where he should be looking at the best chance to win another SB. That is not with the Tenn Titans. I never said it wasn't possible to be both a Colt and a Manning fan actually I said it was highly possible. Though if you are a Colt fan first going back to the original post its highly likely that if/when Manning does somethign good against the Colts with Tenn that he will be booed. T

That has nothing to do with any of the acomplishments achieved with him at the helm. He at that point is the enemy to the Colts.

According to the media Manning wanted to come back. But honestly do you really think he wanted to come back to watch all of the other cuts that have happened after him? That he would want to come back to share snaps with Luck when he is notorious for taking every single snap in every practice? No I believe he said what he said in public but never had any intention of coming back on a lesser deal if his bonus was turned down.

It is every bit your right to cheer as much as you wish while Manning carves up the Colts. That would in my opinion alone make you a Manning fan more than a Colts fan. I just couldn't cheer anyone on who is beating the Colts regardless of who it was. Though would find it easy to root for Manning and the Bronco's if that is the route he chooses. As a Colt fan I am a fan of the team above any single name on the team.

A lot of good points in this thread.

Personally, I'll be rooting for the Colts, and whichever team Peyton goes to equally, even if he goes to Tennessee. In head to heads, I'll just enjoy the football. But both teams also have 4 other games against division rivals and 10 other games that I hope they stomp the crap out of. The fact that the two teams play each other twice a year doesn't mean much to me. Peyton was the reason I became a Colts fan when I was 8 years old. It only follows that I continue to like man in his future endeavors.

I'm not saying not to draft him.

I'm saying we draft him and he struggles to perform at the same level he did.

I agree with what you say about Mortensen. Now imagine that same setting after struggling for 5 more years as opposed to 5 trips to the playoffs. It would be a far worse situation and nowhere near is a pretty.

Being in LA, I don't think the city would have been ready to lure an NFL team back in 2004. Now, after the success of the Staples Center and involving the same AEG group to do the new football complex (if it's in downtown LA, which looks likely), it's gonna happen. But there's been a lot of movement in the last eight years.

That's how we always do it, isn't it? We do the Ring of Honor ceremony for a notable player the next time he comes to Indy. I don't figure we'd pass on the opportunity.

Either way, I figured there'd be some sort of fan fare for his first game in Indy.

Maybe they will do it like they did for Edge.

While you root for Peyton and the Titans to beat the Colts, I will root for the Colts to beat Peyton and the Titans.

I get the sense that many posters are the kind of fan for whom every game is an ordeal. The kind who cannot enjoy the spectacle in the moment. Football is entertainment. Period. Peyton Manning did not build a hospital. He lent his celebrity to fundraising and he contributed an undisclosed sum of money to the cause. So they re-named the children's hospital in his honor. Good works, certainly. But building a hospital, alone, would be too much of a task for even Ditka.

Like Asomugha, Brown and Young put the Eagles over the top as pre-season champs last year. Somehow, despite all logic, free agent additions seldon provide the expected results, and off-season champs seldon hoist the Lombardi.

I'm somehow can't imagine how the Titans would be worse with Peyton. Somehow that defies logic to me.

I am amazed at some people. I keep reading things like:

"If he goes to Tennessee I'll know his tears in the Presser were fake", "Reggie is a real Colt he came back and didn't go to Ten, he took a house discount... (compared to Manning who is considering Ten)", I will boo PM if he comes to town playing for Ten, He said he was a Colt for life, now he is considering a contract for life with a division rival, what an a hole. I'll never forgive him, treason was thrown out there in a tweet

People: WE RAN HIM OUT OF TOWN, we treated it like a business matter, we had a choice and we made it, period. He owes us and the enitre organization absolutely nothing. He risked hjs life, playing for three years with an injured vertebra, he got involved in the community, he built a hospital, he hosted charity events, he played his butt off for your city and your team and yes, our owner too. We fired him, and now he has every single right to go to whatever place values him the most both as a player and as a person.

This is business right? well, why is it all right for the franchise to tell him: bye, we'll take Luck, but hope you'll be a Colt for the rest of your life! thank you, here is a kick in your butt and have fun, we wish you the best. but it is wrong of him to say, well, this is business I am going to the Titans since they seem to want me there forever.

This team is not the victim and anybody who boos PM is not a Colts fan either, he made this team, he made this forums for god's sake! And if he wants to go out there and play QB for the Afghanistan national team, I will never root againist him.

rant off

We did not run him out of town. If HE wanted to stay obviously he would be here. And by that I mean he could have reworked his deal with us. He could have mentored Luck. He could of stayed knowing we may not be playing for a SB. So, where is he now??? Looking for a new team. Cause he agreed it was best for HIM to leave. Sick and tired of reading that pile of crap fans like to spew out when they dont know at all, what so ever what was said behind closed doors.

If he loved the Colts so much why would he want to join our division rivals? But but but, he doesnt want to impede Eli getting to the SB or go to NY to steal his spotlight. doesnt make since.

We did not run him out of town. If HE wanted to stay obviously he would be here. And by that I mean he could have reworked his deal with us. He could have mentored Luck. He could of stayed knowing we may not be playing for a SB. So, where is he now??? Looking for a new team. Cause he agreed it was best for HIM to leave. Sick and tired of reading that pile of crap fans like to spew out when they dont know at all, what so ever what was said behind closed doors.

If he loved the Colts so much why would he want to join our division rivals? But but but, he doesnt want to impede Eli getting to the SB or go to NY to steal his spotlight. doesnt make since.

How about you actually read up on things. Irsag didnt want peyton here, peyton offered to restructure, bur irsay wanted to take the team in a new direction.

People, People I moved on I was mad about the whole situation BUT he had 13 of the14 great years here in indy, hes the greatest player in colts history at the qb position, I wont say greatest colt ever or greatest qb of all time, thats thrown around WAY to much, people always looking for the next big thing and when they find it, what happens when that guy retires?It turns into this guy was better then this guy and yadda yadda, JUST ENJOY the game for what it is, root for the colts, players no matter who they are will come and go, Manning did alot of great things for the franchise and the city, BUT at the same time do I deem him greatest of all time? NO, why you ask? well simple, last I checked he hasnt passed favre in career touchdowns and yards, next argument, his passing ability, well their are players in the league right now that can make the throws he makes, Brady, Rodgers, and not to mention Luck, and he hasnt even played a down in the NFL, Next argument RINGS, well Brady has three, Favre if I remember correctly has two, Elway 2, and I believe Bradshaw 4? dont quote me on that last one, thats not my era, the fact that their are discussions about this still says alot havent moved on and that applies to some that say that they have, I will be rooting for the Colts, I wish Manning the best in his future but that ship has sailed, we are potentially now building the team the right way ( only way to know that is through results), why hang on to the past clinging to some hope that this would all go away and the financial situation was handled right, which I admit actually I would have liked the financial situation to come out better but IT IS WHAT IT IS, WE HAVE WHAT WE HAVE AND WILL BUILD UPON THAT, I wish Manning the best but not against MY COLTS!!!

How about you actually read up on things. Irsag didnt want peyton here, peyton offered to restructure, bur irsay wanted to take the team in a new direction.

Why dont YOU read up on things. It was said he would NOT restructure for us. If Manning really wanted to stay he would be on the team, PERIOD!!

Why dont YOU read up on things. It was said he would NOT restructure for us. If Manning really wanted to stay he would be on the team, PERIOD!!

lol not one person has ever said he didnt want to restructure. multiple sources (including chris mortensen who broke the story) have said he was willing to restructure so he could retire a colt.