Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts QB Andrew Luck spent the day hanging at the team’s facility

BertJones

https://clutchpoints.com/colts-news-andrew-luck-spent-the-day-hanging-at-the-teams-facility/

Meanwhile, it left the Indianapolis Colts in a situation no team wants to be in. They lost their starting quarterback with just a week to go before the regular season started.

Luckily for them, they had a very good backup in Jacoby Brissett. So far, Brissett has helped lead the team to a 3-2 start. That includes a surprising win over the Kansas City Chiefs (who were 4-0 at the time they played).

However, even at 3-2 there are a lot of questions surrounding them. Are they a serious playoff contender? Just how good could they have been if they had Luck at quarterback?

Those questions certainly quieted down a little bit recently, but they are still there.

Now those questions are bound to pick up again because Luck is back, sort of. He was spotted at the Colts’ practice facility on Thursday.

e-55.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Andrew Luck loves football. It was evident the way he played last year. He was joyful when the Colts won, and joyful even when they lost. He was just happy to be playing football again.

Recently, the pain/rehab process sucked the joy out of football, and he was back to being unable to play football.

But he still loves football, and he loves his (ex)teammates even more so. I read another article that he still watches the Colts games and texts players after each game.

I don't think he comes back to the NFL, but I do think he still wants his teammates, coaches, GM, and ownership to know that he deeply cares for the organization.

BTW, he's looking kinda jacked!!!

EGh_l64WsAAuH74.jpg

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, BertJones said:

https://clutchpoints.com/colts-news-andrew-luck-spent-the-day-hanging-at-the-teams-facility/

Meanwhile, it left the Indianapolis Colts in a situation no team wants to be in. They lost their starting quarterback with just a week to go before the regular season started.

Luckily for them, they had a very good backup in Jacoby Brissett. So far, Brissett has helped lead the team to a 3-2 start. That includes a surprising win over the Kansas City Chiefs (who were 4-0 at the time they played).

However, even at 3-2 there are a lot of questions surrounding them. Are they a serious playoff contender? Just how good could they have been if they had Luck at quarterback?

Those questions certainly quieted down a little bit recently, but they are still there.

Now those questions are bound to pick up again because Luck is back, sort of. He was spotted at the Colts’ practice facility on Thursday.

e-55.jpg

Should read FORMER colts QB. He’s not our QB

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

He'll be back one day playing somewhere in the league IMO.

I'm fantasizing about him deciding to come back next season and making us into contenders again.  That's my fantasy anyways.  

In actuality I still don't think he'll be back.  

He has too much other stuff he wants to do with his life, he realized that football was getting in the way of everything else he wanted to do with his life and he cut out the football part.  

I am sure as the article says he still watches the games and is in contact with old teammates.

I'm actually somewhat expecting to see him up in one of the luxury booths at a Colts game one of these days.  Might be a guest of Irsay.  

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'm fantasizing about him deciding to come back next season and making us into contenders again.  That's my fantasy anyways.  

He has too much other stuff he wants to do with his life, he realized that football was getting in the way of everything else he wanted to do with his life and he cut out the football part.  

I am sure as the article says he still watches the games and is in contact with old teammates.

I'm actually somewhat expecting to see him up in one of the luxury booths at a Colts game one of these days.  Might be a guest of Irsay.  

I’d argue that we are contenders. Maybe not favorites but we can beat anyone on the right day.

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Door's wide open buddy!  You wouldn't be the first guy to have a crisis of the faith and then find your love for the game again!

I can’t imagine the team would have paid JB the kind of money they did if they weren’t fully committed to being without Luck, at least for this year. Then factor in what they paid the mentor guy to be here. I just absolutely don’t see Luck stepping back into a Colt uniform again. Maybe after the season they could entertain bringing him back, especially if the team falters at QB through the year. 

I take it as Luck coming in to chat with his old friends, congratulating them on the big win and just being a happy go lucky retired millionaire. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I can’t imagine the team would have paid JB the kind of money they did if they weren’t fully committed to being without Luck, at least for this year. Then factor in what they paid the mentor guy to be here. I just absolutely don’t see Luck stepping back into a Colt uniform again. Maybe after the season they could entertain bringing him back, especially if the team falters at QB through the year. 

I take it as Luck coming in to chat with his old friends, congratulating them on the big win and just being a happy go lucky retired millionaire. 

Brissett's extension is a sunk cost that only comes into play next year anyway.

If the opportunity comes to upgrade from Brissett to Luck you don't care about that extension any more than you would if a golden opportunity to add any other elite QB fell into your lap. 

Worst case scenario you could probably find a trade partner (Jets, Steelers, Bears, Phins, Skins) for Brissett if you had to, and run with Luck and Hoyer or Kelly. 

Might even get a decent return, back in the day the Patriots traded a very similar QB (Matt Cassell) for 2 seconds.  Imagine taking 2 second rounders off the Steelers, as dire as their situation has become ... sounds pretty tasty to me

While yes, we should be loyal to Brissett, and you ALL ought to know I'm one of the biggest Brissett fans on this forum, that only matters up to a point, and the chance to add Luck to the rest of this roster is WAY beyond that point. 

This is even more true of Luck than it would be for a generic elite QB, because Luck is already familiar with the team and wouldn't be as difficult to bring up to speed.  The risk is lower, so the premium is higher.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Good for Luck.

He has to miss the comradery

Camaraderie.

No offense, just thought you'd want to know.

Anyway, we know Luck has plenty of fuel in the tank, HE knows he has plenty in the tank, if he's hanging around the team it sounds like he's been bit by the football bug and seeing how much time Brissett has in the pocket it wouldn't take much of a push to get him to sign back on.

• Like 1

Can't lie, I wouldn't have him back this year if I was owner. After this year no problem 

Sounds cold, but I wouldn't want to bring all that drama back around and potentially mess with JB's confidence or juju so to speak.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Camaraderie.

No offense, just thought you'd want to know.

Anyway, we know Luck has plenty of fuel in the tank, HE knows he has plenty in the tank, if he's hanging around the team it sounds like he's been bit by the football bug and seeing how much time Brissett has in the pocket it wouldn't take much of a push to get him to sign back on.

None taken. And FYI

https://grammarist.com/spelling/camaraderie-vs-comradery/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

40 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

24 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Brissett's extension is a sunk cost that only comes into play next year anyway.

If the opportunity comes to upgrade from Brissett to Luck you don't care about that extension any more than you would if a golden opportunity to add any other elite QB fell into your lap. 

Worst case scenario you could probably find a trade partner (Jets, Steelers, Bears, Phins, Skins) for Brissett if you had to, and run with Luck and Hoyer or Kelly. 

Might even get a decent return, back in the day the Patriots traded a very similar QB (Matt Cassell) for 2 seconds.  Imagine taking 2 second rounders off the Steelers, as dire as their situation has become ... sounds pretty tasty to me

While yes, we should be loyal to Brissett, and you ALL ought to know I'm one of the biggest Brissett fans on this forum, that only matters up to a point, and the chance to add Luck to the rest of this roster is WAY beyond that point. 

This is even more true of Luck than it would be for a generic elite QB, because Luck is already familiar with the team and wouldn't be as difficult to bring up to speed.  The risk is lower, so the premium is higher.

It definitely is just Luck coming to chat with old friends, but yes of course hypothetically if we could get Luck back we should. It's ridiculous to even talk of such stuff though, as if we should get our hopes up for anything just cause Luck wanted to hang out with the team

1 minute ago, BigQungus said:

It definitely is just Luck coming to chat with old friends, but yes of course hypothetically if we could get Luck back we should. It's ridiculous to even talk of such stuff though, as if we should get our hopes up for anything just cause Luck wanted to hang out with the team

You're probably right, but at the same time, a player who just retired usually isn't hanging around for multiple weeks in the clubhouse and locker room.  It sounds to me like Luck still feels the call a bit.

I for one think this is a very good thing for all involved. I was actually worried about Andrew's mental health. This was a very difficult decision to give up on his dream and admit that physically you were not able to continue. Admitting to physical limitations is hard to do for anyone. 

He has good friends in that Locker room and comrade's he fought with,  good to see them together again

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

You're probably right, but at the same time, a player who just retired usually isn't hanging around for multiple weeks in the clubhouse and locker room.  It sounds to me like Luck still feels the call a bit.

Andrew is different. He retired in his prime right before the season, but not because of problems with the team, coach, or organization. It's also a transition, being that he was expected by the team and by himself to be the QB of this team for the season, and then suddenly had doubts about a month away from the season. You can't just mentally cut yourself off from the team after building that kind of mental bond and expectation with the team. We anyways knew he maintains regular communication with a few Colts players. Plus, he still lives in Indy, so that makes it very easy to stop by the Colts building every once in a while.

Perhaps he does get a bit of nostalgia and wants to return in his heart, he's too competitive and loves the game too much not to, but I don't think he'll actually bring himself to do it after committing to settling down with his wife.

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

He comes back next year we trade him for picks. 

8 minutes ago, runthepost said:

He comes back next year we trade him for picks. 

No we don't.  He comes back next year we trade Brissett for picks.  Precedent suggests he would be worth 2 second rounders in trade.

But of course that's only if we have Luck and he's definitely ready to resume full football activities.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Myles said:

Unpopular opinion:

Get the f#$% out!

This isn't your team.   Adios.  

The season is in full swing.  

Understand but it’s not our team either and Irsay has made it clear he doesn’t have a problem with ex players coming by.  Also it doesn’t look to be upsetting the team so I get why some don’t want to see him but the ones whose opinion counts on this don’t seem to care.

• Like 2

Here’s my fantasy scenario:  Week 10 and the Colts are in the hunt for the division.  They’re playing solid D and the running game is strong.  They look like a sure SB contender. 

Then tragedy strikes, Jacoby is injured and out for the year.  

The guys on the team convince Andrew to come back and “manage” the games for them. The team isn’t on his shoulders, but everyone thinks they can win the SB with him steering the ship.

Hey, a guy can dream, right!