Indianapolis Colts
coltsfeva

Colin Cowherd on Colts-Chiefs

Interesting golf analogy to team philosophy.

My first thought was: can they beat NE with the same blueprint or do they need to improve their passing game, should they end up in Foxboro in the AFCC game? Can they beat the Texans?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MPStack said:

BB would stack the box and force Brissett to beat them throwing the football. 

And I think Brissett would be able to do that. We saw it with the Falcon, they tried too much to stop the run that they forgot about our passing game. And Brissett torched them in the first half. 

I feel like we're gonna be seeing this a lot. We aren't one dimensional like the Chiefs which all you need to do is focus on the pass and the running game won't pick up no matter what. I see us as kinda like the Cowboys, we have a great running game but if you focus on that too much Dak/Brissett will light up the defense.

• Like 5

Colts can beat the Texans or whoever they set their mind to. 

Defense: They finally played a bunch of man coverage against the Chiefs (lots of us were begging for this - including me) and they played well at it. They played some zone which is great to mix in to keep opposing offenses guessing. Just keep sending blitzes. Kenny Moore is a master at that corner blitz, keep it up. 

Offense: Brissett is going to have to carry the passing game when the run game isn't producing. Out O-Line is amazing, but they will have off days. Once he gets his deep pass timing down (w/ WR's not named Hilton) I think it will all come together. Stop staring down receivers, and if the dink and dunk is the menu for the day, then get the ball out quick. 

I'd like to see more TE usage in the passing game too. We have the weapons, use em. Use Hines in space, not between the tackles. 

Give Wilkins some more carries and let Mack do his thing, but throw to RB's out of the backfield more please. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

11 minutes ago, CaptainColt12 said:

And I think Brissett would be able to do that. We saw it with the Falcon, they tried too much to stop the run that they forgot about our passing game. And Brissett torched them in the first half. 

I feel like we're gonna be seeing this a lot. We aren't one dimensional like the Chiefs which all you need to do is focus on the pass and the running game won't pick up no matter what. I see us as kinda like the Cowboys, we have a great running game but if you focus on that too much Dak/Brissett will light up the defense.

I'm pretty sure NE secondary is way better than the Falcons.  Our WRs will be blanketed all day.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, compuls1v3 said:

I'm pretty sure NE secondary is way better than the Falcons.  Our WRs will be blanketed all day.

Yeah, the Falcons are not the Patriots. Their 1-4 record doesn’t inspire or excite me, that if the Colts run game gets shutdown, Brissett will ball out against anyone. Especially the hoody. 

46 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

My first thought was: can they beat NE with the same blueprint or do they need to improve their passing game, should they end up in Foxboro in the AFCC game? Can they beat the Texans?

It would take a miracle.  The pats are a veteran team that has decades of experience in the playstyle we're only just now getting acclimated to.  nearly every facet of the game they beat us straight up on experience, and Belichick is one of the few head coaches I don't trust Reich to be able to outmaneuver.

We have a big advantage in OL.  It's the one area I can definitely say we're better than them.  But the Patriots are like 6 deep in quality pass rushers.  It's gonna be war in the trenches between our OL and their DL, and their secondary is second to none right now.  Scoring points on that team is legit tough no matter how you try to do it. 

And the Patriots have a pretty solid rushing attack too, about a match for ours.  Mack is better than Michel, but James White is basically the player Hines hopes to become someday and I'll give Burkhead a large edge over Wilkins, so their depth blows the doors off ours.  And we're not nearly as good at containing the run so far than they are.

As for the passing game I'll be charitable and leave that at "LOL!"

Bottom line, the Patriots completely outclass us.  Never say never, Brady does have the occasional bad day at the office just like anyone else, but the Patriots are a class above even KC IMHO.  That defense is incredible.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

NE would stuff our run game AND get intense pressure in Brissett's face.
 We will need to be much better in our passing game by the end of our season.
  Hopkins has help again with a healthy Fuller. It will be an interesting chess match.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

This is one of the reasons I'm desperate for another veteran pass catcher.  We can win on any given Sunday with what we have, but in order to become favorites, we need at least 1 more really good consistent target that can get open against good defenses

Ideally I'd like a pass catcher and a run stuffing LB at the deadline.  Might not be doable but I think that's what it will take to contend this year beyond just making the playoffs.

• Like 1

Patriots should be 8-0 playing total  garbage teams plus Buffalo and Cleveland and whatever they are.  Then they have a stretch of games vs Ravens, Eagles, Cowboys, Texans, Chiefs. 

I’ll reserve judgment on their invincibility until after those 5 games.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

It would take a miracle.  The pats are a veteran team that has decades of experience in the playstyle we're only just now getting acclimated to.  nearly every facet of the game they beat us straight up on experience, and Belichick is one of the few head coaches I don't trust Reich to be able to outmaneuver.

We have a big advantage in OL.  It's the one area I can definitely say we're better than them.  But the Patriots are like 6 deep in quality pass rushers.  It's gonna be war in the trenches between our OL and their DL, and their secondary is second to none right now.  Scoring points on that team is legit tough no matter how you try to do it. 

And the Patriots have a pretty solid rushing attack too, about a match for ours.  Mack is better than Michel, but James White is basically the player Hines hopes to become someday and I'll give Burkhead a large edge over Wilkins, so their depth blows the doors off ours.  And we're not nearly as good at containing the run so far than they are.

Bottom line, the Patriots completely outclass us.  Never say never, Brady does have the occasional bad day at the office just like anyone else, but the Patriots are a class above even KC IMHO.  That defense is incredible.

I will say this.  It is very possible that Reich is holding on to some of that offensive playbook for the playoffs, and he HAS been part of the team that beat the Patriots before, so anything is possible in my mind. 

• Like 2

If the Falcons blow it up, then my ideal trade target  becomes available. 

No, not Julio, I don't think he's a good match for what we're trying to do anyway.  He's a deep ball guy and we're not running a deep ball offense

I want Mohammed Sanu.  He's a perfect playoff piece for us and he's the Falcons' favorite target in the 10-15 yard range, which is the area where we need the most help.  If Ballard brings Sanu to the team I'll be prepared to say we can hang with anyone except for maybe the patriots.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Patriots should be 8-0 playing total  garbage teams plus Buffalo and Cleveland and whatever they are.  Then they have a stretch of games vs Ravens, Eagles, Cowboys, Texans, Chiefs. 

You don't have to evaluate the Patriots based entirely on what they do this year though.  Like I said, this is a veteran team, most of their guys have years of experience in the system, and even last year's rookies now have Superbowl experience.

I mean sure they could play a let-up game against us but I bet the coaches don't let that happen.  And you can count on Brady to go ballisstic on anyone who tried to take next week's opponent lightly.  It's part of what they are and why they can do what they do.

If we want to beat them we're going to have to become them.  The good news is Ballard has laid a good foundation to do exactly that.  The bad news is that we're going to need to wait until we have those years of experience before we can really trade evenly with them.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

This is one of the reasons I'm desperate for another veteran pass catcher.  We can win on any given Sunday with what we have, but in order to become favorites, we need at least 1 more really good consistent target that can get open against good defenses

I couldn't agree more.  But I wouldn't be surprised if Ballard waits for Funchess to heal up.  That said I would hope if Sanu or Diggs or another young veteran WR suddenly becomes available at a reasonable price that Ballard would make the move.  We are a pretty good offense now but getting another very good young WR could make us legitimate contenders this year.  I love Campbell and Cain but they need a little more time.  A veteran addition would give us an immediate boost.  

23 minutes ago, coltsva said:

I agree. They look very good right now, but the best players of their opponents have been out basically each week, & that continues tonight with Barkley & Engram being sidelined.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Reich will scheme them open

40 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I’m not sure the Patriots history (other than the coaching staff), has any relevance to overall team experience. Houston, TY, Doyle and others have experience.

6 deep in quality pass rushers? Against who? I’ll take my chances with the Colts Oline.

“Their depth blows the doors off ours” A little hyperbole there, don’t you think?

I’m not going to say Brissett is in Brady’s class but no one would say Brissett is better than Mahomes, either. Keep Brady on the bench. He becomes irrelevant.

Well, first of all. You have a different definition of “class” than a lot of us do. I wouldn’t use “class” and Patriots in the same sentence.

Secondly, if I’m not mistaken, the Pats are banged up on the Oline and I think the Colts would be able to get pressure on Brady, if they press their receivers.

So far, you’re right about their defense; they are playing good ball but, they really haven’t played any juggernauts.

I just wonder if the gap between the two teams isn’t overblown in the media and in some fans minds.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, BigQungus said:

Reich will scheme them open

Yeah, I can definitely see that.  That's why I mentioned opening the play book up.  I just don't think our WR will be wide open like they were against the Falcons most of the game.

39 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

They're not a class above KC. Not that it's their fault, but they've done nothing but beat the Josh Allen-less Bills and beat other easy teams. Everyone knows that they can beat easy teams, cause they're well coached. But the Brady passing attack has declined a little bit without AB, and honestly I don't put it past us to beat them. If we can beat the Chiefs, we can beat anyone

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In general, I think Colts fans overrate New England way too much cause of the Manning years and cause of how they've been able to handily whoops us in the toothless Luck years. But we're past that. I can see this team beating anyone.

• Like 1

Patriots defense is solid this year but they are far and away being overrated thus far. They've played some of the absolute worst defenses in the league. The one legitimate defense (BUF) they played made Tom Brady look awful and they nearly lost to Josh Allen & Matt Barkley...

I have no doubt that we could beats the Patriots this year if we play our game. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

In general, I think Colts fans overrate New England way too much cause of the Manning years and cause of how they've been able to handily whoops us in the toothless Luck years. But we're past that. I can see this team beating anyone.

You mean the 5-0 Patriots who haven't given up a passing touchdown since the AFCCG? Yeah, they're no good... 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Unfortunately they're going to cruise to that #1 seed and probably head to their 74th SB...yay

• Like 1

I have been saying this. The colts are playing playoff winning football. Eventually all the flash in the regular season gets you beat in the playoffs.  NE won a lot of SB being boring. In today nfl fans equate boring to bad. I am loving watching how this team is playing complimentary football and winning as a team.

• Like 3

Well, considering that NE isn't on the Colts' schedule this year, and the likelihood that they'll end up with a bye, if the Colts even get to play the Pats, I'll be happy.  Then you just take your chances, & I'm not counting them out. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I have been saying this. The colts are playing playoff winning football. Eventually all the flash in the regular season gets you beat in the playoffs.  NE won a lot of SB being boring. In today nfl fans equate boring to bad. I am loving watching how this team is playing complimentary football and winning as a team.

We're gaining the skill in this system now that is going to win the Superbowl in future years.  I don't think we have the experience to win against an elite team that plays the same style.  Not until we gain a couple more seasons of skill and confidence in that style

That's not to say I don't think this team is good or this style will win Superbowls.  We're just not that experienced in it right now and going against a team that's been running this system for 20 years with the same coach and QB, you have to give them the edge.

That said we just came off a win nobody thought we'd get, and "any given Sunday" is definitely a thing, so who knows

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

would be*, we aren't playing them this year unless we meet in the playoffs. I wasn't talking about the Patriots specifically, which I think this topic is. I was just talking about most NFL teams. But yeah Gillmore and Mccourty, plus the safeties Mcourty and chung would give Brissett a really hard time, as well as Lawerence Guy and Danny Shelton would put our running game's production down significantly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

6 deep in quality pass rushers? Against who? I’ll take my chances with the Colts Oline.

They've actually played some good o-lines and still got a lot of pressure on QBs.  The Steelers OL isn't world beaters but pretty solid.  The Bills' offensive line is also quite solid.

As for the Pats' DL, vs our O-line, it's not THAT bad of a mismatch, our O-line might be the best in the NFL.  But they have a very powerful stable of weapons and they're going to put down a lot of pressure, especially if that very talented secondary does its job

If we beat the patriots, it will be because our front 4 dominates their makeshift offensive line and pulverizes Brady.  That mishmash OL is the weakness of New England right now, we HAVE to get penetration to bottle up the run and contain the QB.

Then if we can do that and our  OL has allowed the run to be effective enough to put at least a few points on the board we might just make it. 

It's not impossible, but we're talking about a serious uphill fight, especially because any matchup against NEP would almost definitely happen in Gillette

1 hour ago, BigQungus said:

lmao i used to think we’d beat the pats those times too and what’s our record vs them since manning left? we can always See our team winning vs them but it hasn’t happened that being said we have to beat them in order to actually make this a rivalry again haha 

29 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

We're gaining the skill in this system now that is going to win the Superbowl in future years.  I don't think we have the experience to win against an elite team that plays the same style.  Not until we gain a couple more seasons of skill and confidence in that style

That's not to say I don't think this team is good or this style will win Superbowls.  We're just not that experienced in it right now and going against a team that's been running this system for 20 years with the same coach and QB, you have to give them the edge.

That said we just came off a win nobody thought we'd get, and "any given Sunday" is definitely a thing, so who knows

Oh I agree. Just saying this is the type of football that travels well and wins in DEC and JAN. If we had played like this against the chiefs in that playoff game we win that game. We were playing playoff football last year and just ran out of gas in KC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

I will say this.  It is very possible that Reich is holding on to some of that offensive playbook for the playoffs, and he HAS been part of the team that beat the Patriots before, so anything is possible in my mind. 

Yeah, I don't want ot get into hyperbole or compare the two in terms of greatness, but I honestly think Reich is making a name for himself as far as a top tier coach.  Ballard is just knocking drafts out of the park.  That speaks to me that Ballard/Reich is one of those duos who can trade blows with Belicheck.  In a game between the two I think we stand a chance, evertyhing else being equal.  I think they probably have the better roster from top to bottom though.

• Like 4

I think the Pats are probably better this year than they were last year.  The defense is probably better.  And while they don't have Gronk, which changes the look of the offense, Sony Michel seems to be the real deal RB they haven't had for years.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think the Pats are probably better this year than they were last year.  The defense is probably better.  And while they don't have Gronk, which changes the look of the offense, Sony Michel seems to be the real deal RB they haven't had for years.

Pat's are better  on defense  this year,but their offense  isn't  as good in my opinion 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MPStack said:

BB would stack the box and force Brissett to beat them throwing the football. 

Pats haven't faced a good o-line all year they look so good cause they haven't played anyone.

As unrealistic  as it might be if we won out we'd be the number 2 seed

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Pat's are better  on defense  this year,but their offense  isn't  as good in my opinion 

I don't disagree.  Their O is going to have a different look.  A better running game, coupled with a better defense could lead to the same winning record and success, but in a different way than what we're used to.

And if that's the team we have also, then a playoff matchup would look different than what we're used to seeing.

• Like 1

Just now, DougDew said:

I don't disagree.  Their O is going to have a different look.  A better running game, coupled with a better defense could lead to the same winning record and success, but in a different way than what we're used to.

Indeed they seem to adapt their offense  and defense  to their strengths  each year. Kc won't  beat the Pat's if they can't  stop the run

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

I agreed with everything up until this point. 

Class is the one thing the pats do not have. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I couldn't bring myself to listen to the Cowherd clip.

Maybe it was one of his rare good takes.  

Maybe one of the even more rare times he is correct about something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Yeah, I don't want ot get into hyperbole or compare the two in terms of greatness, but I honestly think Reich is making a name for himself as far as a top tier coach.  Ballard is just knocking drafts out of the park.  That speaks to me that Ballard/Reich is one of those duos who can trade blows with Belicheck.  In a game between the two I think we stand a chance, evertyhing else being equal.  I think they probably have the better roster from top to bottom though.

Ballard and Reich have to be on the short list of GM/coach combos that can actually go toe to toe with the GOAT.

• Like 1