Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
chad72

Deonne Bucannon

His career was a curious one.  He came into the NFL as a safety, the Cards used him as a linebacker and he did well, although his strength was never playing the run as opposed to coverage, which is where he was strongest.  They were going to move hm back to safety but that never happened.  He dealt with injuries starting in 2016 and missed most 2017.  That started his drastic decline.  Then Wilks came in 2018 and Bucannon wasn't a fit for what Wilks wanted.  Obviously his tenure with the Bucs didn't go any better.

I wouldn't mind bringing him here for a workout maybe for LB coverage, and even then, I'm not sure he'd be an improvement on what we already have.  So I'd probably say we shouldn't even bother.

8 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

His career was a curious one.  He came into the NFL as a safety, the Cards used him as a linebacker and he did well, although his strength was never playing the run as opposed to coverage, which is where he was strongest.  They were going to move hm back to safety but that never happened.  He dealt with injuries starting in 2016 and missed most 2017.  That started his drastic decline.  Then Wilks came in 2018 and Bucannon wasn't a fit for what Wilks wanted.  Obviously his tenure with the Bucs didn't go any better.

I wouldn't mind bringing him here for a workout maybe for LB coverage, and even then, I'm not sure he'd be an improvement on what we already have.  So I'd probably say we shouldn't even bother.

You can never have enough coverage backers, IMO. Okereke, Walker and Leonard, and after them, we could use Bucannon for healthy competition and might have a quality replacement for injuries too, IMO, if the coaches feel he is up to the task for our scheme.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

You can never have enough coverage backers, IMO. Okereke, Walker and Leonard, and after them, we could use Bucannon for healthy competition and might have a quality replacement for injuries too, IMO, if the coaches feel he is up to the task for our scheme.

I'm not against bringing in anyone for a workout.  But the one question I would need answered at the end of it was whether or not he's the 2015 version of himself or whether he's the post-injured version of himself.  I didn't get to watch a lot of him, but it sounds like he wasn't the same player as he was after his surgery.