Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coltsfeva

Great Article on Vinatieri

From the perspective of his holders. You can scroll down to Hunter Smith, if you’d rather not read the NE years.

One of the things that stuck out to me is that he’s always taken it personally, when a team brought in other kickers.

So, how much credit goes to AV for his 13 points in the Chiefs game? Is saying he was the sole reason we lost the Chargers game, any different than saying he was the sole reason for us winning the Chiefs game?

Did you think he was done? Do you still have concerns or are you in a “wait and see” mode.

It’s going to be interesting to see how this plays out this year. Will he be the GOAT or scapegoat? Maybe greatness is not defined by how many times you succeed alone but what you do when you fail?

GO COLTS!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27791574/you-ready-old-man-holders-share-their-adam-vinatieri-tales

4 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

From the perspective of his holders. You can scroll down to Hunter Smith, if you’d rather not read the NE years.

One of the things that stuck out to me is that he’s always taken it personally, when a team brought in other kickers.

So, how much credit goes to AV for his 13 points in the Chiefs game? Is saying he was the sole reason we lost the Chargers game, any different than saying he was the sole reason for us winning the Chiefs game?

Did you think he was done? Do you still have concerns or are you in a “wait and see” mode.

It’s going to be interesting to see how this plays out this year. Will he be the GOAT or scapegoat? Maybe greatness is not defined by how many times you succeed alone but what you do when you fail?

GO COLTS!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27791574/you-ready-old-man-holders-share-their-adam-vinatieri-tales

Yes it is very much different.  FG's are not supposed to be just a 50/50 crapshoot.   NFL kickers are supposed to make a high percentage of kicks in each game.  That is what they are paid for.   You wouldn't claim a punter is the reason we won a game because he kicked 4 times for a good average punt.  But if he shanked 4 punts for 15 yards each, he could be the reason we lost a game.  

Adam seems to have gotten his head back, so I'm not worried too much.   I think this should be his farewell season though.  

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

Adam seems to have gotten his head back, so I'm not worried too much.   I think this should be his farewell season though.  

Collinsworth indicated the reason for AVs issues early in the season was that his normal practice routine tired out his leg.  It didn't recover/respond to the practice as well.  So he backed off the reps and things got normal.  

When a player is obviously thinking age is becoming a big factor, it may be a sign that he may want to call this his last season and retire as the NFLs leading scorer.

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yes it is very much different.  FG's are not supposed to be just a 50/50 crapshoot.   NFL kickers are supposed to make a high percentage of kicks in each game.  That is what they are paid for.   You wouldn't claim a punter is the reason we won a game because he kicked 4 times for a good average punt.  But if he shanked 4 punts for 15 yards each, he could be the reason we lost a game.  

Right. So even if he is Great the rest of the season you want him out.
 Bla bla bla... 
Silliness!

You just completely botched his name right there. Vinatieri*

Just now, CaptainColt12 said:

You just completely botched his name right there. Vinatieri*

I guess it was only one letter, but it just looks weird 

35 minutes ago, Myles said:

All of the above. Performing at 25% when 90% is the norm is a major contributing factor to a loss, especially when it directly results in points being lost. 

Granted, there are other factors involved, but most of those can be overcome with the next play or plays. What are considered "gimme points" is another story.

30 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Bla bla bla... 
Silliness!

Regardless of how AV finishes out the season, the Colts should try to upgrade the position for next year, same as you would any position on the team.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Bla bla bla... 
Silliness!

You are nuts if you want to keep him through 2021.  

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

We don't win without him making his kicks on Sunday, that's obvious. But the idea is that when the team gets the kicker in position for a makeable kick, it's supposed to be a given that you're getting points. That's why teams don't go for it 4th down more often, because you're either trying to protect field position or take the points when they're available. 

So in the Chargers game, the team got the kicker in position to make kicks, and the kicker failed. The major 95% of the job was done, and the last guy didn't show up. (I don't subscribe to the whole 'just add those points and we win the game line of thinking,' unless it's one kick at the end of the game; I think if you add points in the first half, it changes the game in the second half. JMO) 

Against the Chiefs, he did show up. But it would be wrong to say he was the sole reason for the win. The team had to get him out on the field.

I did think he was done. He looked and sounded defeated after the Titans game. And the speculation led me to believe that he was going to hang it up, even though that speculation proved to be way off base. I'm still concerned, but I've been concerned about him for a while because of his age. I know that one day, he's just not going to be able to kick anymore. I hope that he goes out on a good note, but sometimes the greats fall apart right in front of us. Hopefully that's not happening now, but I'm definitely in wait and see mode.

And I think the team should prepare to move on after the season. 

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

Collinsworth indicated the reason for AVs issues early in the season was that his normal practice routine tired out his leg.  It didn't recover/respond to the practice as well.  So he backed off the reps and things got normal.  

When a player is obviously thinking age is becoming a big factor, it may be a sign that he may want to call this his last season and retire as the NFLs leading scorer.

Nope. Get Blandas record.