Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts work out LB Marcus Smith

1959Colts

8 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

On that note -- you guys know my opinion on the subject but I'll still throw this out there for discussion -- do we have any interest in acquiring Ryan himself?

I feel  like ryan folds under pressure alot.

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

I feel  like ryan folds under pressure alot.

I think that's the exact feeling the fans have in ATL.  Its why I'm not ruling out that ATL finds a way to eat his cap space and move to a GA native, Fromm, especially since they've played second fiddle to Brees all of these years.  Fromm is supposed to compare to Brees.  

We'll see how bad it gets down there.  I'm sure the HC and staff is gone at some point if they don't find success this season, maybe even the GM?

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think that's the exact feeling the fans have in ATL.  Its why I'm not ruling out that ATL finds a way to eat his cap space and move to a GA native, Fromm, especially since they've played second fiddle to Brees all of these years.  Fromm is supposed to compare to Brees.  

We'll see how bad it gets down there.  I'm sure the HC and staff is gone at some point if they don't find success this season, maybe even the GM?

Do you understand what a 60 million dollar cap hit is?  Matt Ryan isn't going anywhere.  They may draft Fromn,   but they ate not cutting or trading Ryan

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Do you understand what a 60 million dollar cap hit is?  Matt Ryan isn't going anywhere.  They may draft Fromn,   but they ate not cutting or trading Ryan

They could let Ryan linger like NYG does with Eli.  I think a post June 1st cut would be less than $60mil.  They're screwed.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

They could let Ryan linger like NYG does with Eli.  I think a post June 1st cut would be less than $60mil.  They're screwed.

I don't think you understand the salary cap.   Matt Ryan is going to be a falcon for a long time. 

31 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't think you understand the salary cap.   Matt Ryan is going to be a falcon for a long time. 

I understand it.  They would have about what, $70 mil to spend on the actual team?  Is Alex Mack, Devonte Freeman, or Mohamed Sanu getting any younger?  Is Vic Beasley that good? I think there is a low percentage they do it, but the time to do it is when you fire the HC and the GM, which might very well happen if they go anywhere from 1-15 to 4-12. 

The new guys blame any residual constraints on the poor decisions of past management.  It happens all of the time with CEOs in business.  Upon your arrival, make the organization take more hits than what makes sense, but take them now just so you can blame all of the problems you encounter in the first few years on previous management.  Having a salary cap constraint for a few years is a great excuse for losing early in the regime.

Edit:  It looks like the 2020 salary cap will be $200 mil.  Mack, Sanu, and Marcus Trufant would count $20 mil.

14 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Hmmm, interesting take...

I do know that if the team is serious about getting a player back down the road after waiving or releasing them, they tell the player if he isn't signed, or claimed after waive period, to stay in shape and keep their phone charged and nearby. That usually keeps a guy 'clean'.

As far as working a guy like that out, there is an unwritten rule for some teams. If a guy was a 1st round pick fairly recently, and is FA, at least bring him in and look at him up close (drills that are necessary for your system). The player was once a first round selection because someone saw something special in him. The idea is bring them in, work them out, and see if anything special appears. If not, move on.

You are most certainly right about a team telling a guy they may want to bring back later if there is an injury or something doesn’t work out like they planned. However, that doesn’t always mean that after a few weeks of working out and preparing as though the phone rings for him, and it doesn’t, he doesn’t have a weak moment when his buddies call up and say hey, let’s go hits some clubs and hang out and he thinks sure, they ain’t calling me so why do all the extra work and stay clean when I can go have fun with my buds. It just takes the one weak moment. Of course he may have never tried the stuff and is a clean guy regardless of being an NFL or not. I was just pointing out one possible scenario as to maybe why we aren’t bringing him back in to take the reps. Maybe CB was working on a trade deal somewhere for a bit better player that’s longer term. Idk 

Despite a broken ankle, Turay is probably still considered to be CBs long term answer at pass rusher at this point.  If he makes a trade for a long term addition, he's thinking about Houston's or Sheard's roster spot next year, IMO.  That complicates any trade for a player that's more than a stop gap for this season.