Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts work out LB Marcus Smith

1959Colts

Looks like the search has begun.  I wonder what his workout entails?  Timed drills?  That's about it I guess.  How much can you ascertain from that?  Smith has been out of work for a long time.  I would think practice squads would be Ballard's first place to shop.  Or even calling some of these 0-5 and 1-4 teams to see where they are at.  If things get worse at Atlanta maybe a Vic Beasley might become available.  Knowing Ballard he is checking out all of the possibilities.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Looks like the search has begun.  I wonder what his workout entails?  Timed drills?  That's about it I guess.  How much can you ascertain from that?  Smith has been out of work for a long time.  I would think practice squads would be Ballard's first place to shop.  Or even calling some of these 0-5 and 1-4 teams to see where they are at.  If things get worse at Atlanta maybe a Vic Beasley might become available.  Knowing Ballard he is checking out all of the possibilities.

I have read where they do positional drills, much like you would do in training camp. Typically about 30 minutes or so. While getting a chance to check on their conditioning.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

OT here.  I'm still holding to the notion that ATL is going to rebuild by dumping Ryan and building around Fromm.  They will want draft picks.

Far feteched and unlikely, but I'm not ruling it out until I see Fromm drafted.

1 hour ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Marcus Smith is a bum I would just sign Green to the active roster before signing that bum.

Most of us said Barkevious Mingo was a bum too, but he came here and played pretty well.  Who knows with Smith, but outside of him I'd say moving Tyquan Lewis back out to DE is an option along with bringing in Carroll Phillips.  Banogu is still finding his way around and I'm sort of getting this feeling that LB may actually be the better position for him.  Problem is we sort of have a crowd at LB.  Hybrid Sam LB/DE is what I think Banogu may actually be in the NFL the more I've seen him play.  I'm not sure if he's a full time DE, at least not as sure as I was in the beginning. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

Most of us said Barkevious Mingo was a bum too, but he came here and played pretty well.  Who knows with Smith, but outside of him I'd say moving Tyquan Lewis back out to DE is an option along with bringing in Carroll Phillips.  Banogu is still finding his way around and I'm sort of getting this feeling that LB may actually be the better position for him.  Problem is we sort of have a crowd at LB.  Hybrid Sam LB/DE is what I think Banogu may actually be in the NFL the more I've seen him play.  I'm not sure if he's a full time DE, at least not as sure as I was in the beginning. 

Even Mingo is better than this guy.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

OT here.  I'm still holding to the notion that ATL is going to rebuild by dumping Ryan and building around Fromm.  They will want draft picks.

You can rule it out.    66 million dollar dead cap hit next year. 

10 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Yeah,   your talent evaluation is always so spot on

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, jvan1973 said:

You can rule it out.    66 million dollar dead cap hit next year. 

Yeah, I know.  It depends on how badly they want to rebuild.  1 and 4 is pretty bad so far.    

They've gotta be having buyers remorse to be paying Ryan for that cap hit and still get that record.  Heck, we had a terrible roster but still never went worse than 8-8 when our franchise QB played.

players need fresh starts and systems they feel at home in. Maybe he comes here and plays well maybe he doesn't. Jerry Hughes is always my example of that from a Colts standpoint. Was here didnt look that invested looked like a fish out of water. Went to Buffalo and put up back to back 10 sack seasons jaws are probably still on the floor because of it. Talent is every where even on the street tapping into it getting it to come out is the challenge no matter how much the coaching staff can pour into these players. JMO no need to flame me about it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I'm sure they are at the very minimum kicking the tires.  And the reason or at least one of the reasons for that is you would have to go back to when the Colts played Seattle at Seattle.  Marcus Smith "The Bum" as you call him sacked and pressured Brissett on multiple occasions.  There's that and he should be very familiar with our schemes from his stint in Philly and Seattle.

3 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Marcus Smith is a bum I would just sign Green to the active roster before signing that bum.

I'll have to call Ballard and give him your professional, expert opinion so Chris doesnt make a horrible mistake and bring him in.  I'm sure Ballard could use, and appreciate the help.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm sure they are at the very minimum kicking the tires.  And the reason or at least one of the reasons for that is you would have to go back to when the Colts played Seattle at Seattle.  Marcus Smith "The Bum" as you call him sacked and pressured Brissett on multiple occasions.  There's that and he should be very familiar with our schemes from his stint in Philly and Seattle.

Against a horrible beat up o-line ya but there has to be a reason why he doesn't stick on a roster why he is a bum.

Hate to shine positive light on Grigson but he told Darius Butler that this was his last shot and we got some good years out of Darius Butler. A change of scenery and a heart-to-heart talk with the GM and/or coaches might get more potential out of a player than he has shown in the past. As long as the coaches give their blessing that they can work with the talent and maximize it, the GM can be on board with it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Ya but the only other good o-linemen we had was Kelly the other 3 were terrible.

What kind of players do you think are available this time of year.   Not many pro bowl caliber players unemployed at the moment.   Good lord.   I bet you couldn't pick this guy out of a lineup if it was him, 3 white guys and Yao Ming.  Yet you say he is a bum.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I seen they also worked out Eli Harold. I wouldn't mind Ballard kicking the tires on Shane Ray.  Ray is only 26 and has 14 sacks, 94 tackles & 15 TFL in 4 yrs with Denver. Not saying he'd be a stud but might be worth kicking the tires for a situational pass rush.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jchandler7 said:

I seen they also worked out Eli Harold. I wouldn't mind Ballard kicking the tires on Shane Ray.  Ray is only 26 and has 14 sacks, 94 tackles & 15 TFL in 4 yrs with Denver. Not saying he'd be a stud but might be worth kicking the tires for a situational pass rush.

Ray worked out for cardinals. Colts worked out damontre moore, eli harold  as well.

13 hours ago, jchandler7 said:

I always felt Ray would have been more productive in a 4-3 like Derek Barnett of Tennessee that plays for the Eagles now. Ray is good as a rotational player for the situational pass rush like you said.

21 hours ago, DougDew said:

On that note -- you guys know my opinion on the subject but I'll still throw this out there for discussion -- do we have any interest in acquiring Ryan himself?

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I always felt Ray would have been more productive in a 4-3 like Derek Barnett of Tennessee that plays for the Eagles now. Ray is good as a rotational player for the situational pass rush like you said.

Ray was on the Broncos wasn’t he? I mean, if you can’t produce with those guys they had around him, 3-4 or 4-3, I’m just not sure you’re gonna get much from him. I’ll trust whoever CB brings in but sure would like to know why Carol isn’t even in the potential for discussion in the team. He was giving 120% in preseason. I don’t think he was PS eligible but a little surprised he didn’t get a sniff anywhere. He would seemingly be the easiest to slide into the roll, assuming he wasn’t at home all this time smoking fatties and eating Ho Ho’s. Idk, I wonder if that’s ever a issue with these fringe like guys. Works hard in PS, thinks they did well, gets cut, gets down or depressed, gets out of shape, does a drug he will get tested positive for and then when the agent calls and says hey, Indy wants to try you out you ready? They are asking are you in game shape and would you have any issues passing a test? If the guy says might test +, that’s the end of it and we never hear that part of it. Idk, just have to wonder about some of the guys in the league who get cut and they showed flashes but are never heard from again. 

18 hours ago, krunk said:

Had the best game of his career I believe. 

45 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

On that note -- you guys know my opinion on the subject but I'll still throw this out there for discussion -- do we have any interest in acquiring Ryan himself?

I mean...they should...if the cost makes sense. He's proven he can win a Super Bowl (or at least should have).

37 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I mean...they should...if the cost makes sense. He's proven he can win a Super Bowl (or at least should have).

My analysis of Matt Ryan is that he's got a very similar career trajectory to that of Drew Bledsoe. Both are basically poor man's versions of Brett Favre. In fact the comparison between Ryan and Bledsoe is very strong if you look at both their stats and their track record

We all know that that kind of QB looks amazing when he's on.  Like Ryan did in the second half in week 3.  But we also know that those  guys aren't on all the time and when they start making mistakes they can really hurt the team badly.

not to mention that the style we play is the antithesis of the Bledsoe/Ryan/Favre gunslinger style.  Not that we couldn't adapt, but that style of play puts a lot of pressure on the defense since it leads to short possessions and more drives by the opponent.  Our D being rather young, not sure that's a direction we need to go

6 hours ago, Jdubu said:

He would seemingly be the easiest to slide into the roll, assuming he wasn’t at home all this time smoking fatties and eating Ho Ho’s. Idk, I wonder if that’s ever a issue with these fringe like guys. Works hard in PS, thinks they did well, gets cut, gets down or depressed, gets out of shape, does a drug he will get tested positive for and then when the agent calls and says hey, Indy wants to try you out you ready? They are asking are you in game shape and would you have any issues passing a test? If the guy says might test +, that’s the end of it and we never hear that part of it. Idk, just have to wonder about some of the guys in the league who get cut and they showed flashes but are never heard from again. 

Hmmm, interesting take...

I do know that if the team is serious about getting a player back down the road after waiving or releasing them, they tell the player if he isn't signed, or claimed after waive period, to stay in shape and keep their phone charged and nearby. That usually keeps a guy 'clean'.

As far as working a guy like that out, there is an unwritten rule for some teams. If a guy was a 1st round pick fairly recently, and is FA, at least bring him in and look at him up close (drills that are necessary for your system). The player was once a first round selection because someone saw something special in him. The idea is bring them in, work them out, and see if anything special appears. If not, move on.