Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Note to Reich/Sirianni....

SC-Coltsfan

When we are gashing them up the middle and have a second and 2 inside the 5-yard line please don't try to be cute again and run a silly play when you don't have to. Especially on 2nd down. I understand they thought it was going to work and we're probably surprised it didn't, but why even take the chance the way we were dominating up front. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SC-Coltsfan said:

When we are gashing them up the middle and have a second and 2 inside the 5-yard line please don't try to be cute again and run a silly play when you don't have to. Especially on 2nd down. I understand they thought it was going to work and we're probably surprised it didn't, but why even take the chance the way we were dominating up front. 

I don't think it was a terrible play call. Especially because we were running up the middle so much, we would've thought that they would think we were gonna do it again. But yes, I'm aware it blew up spectacularly. Just a little nitpicky knock on an otherwise flawless coaching game

• Like 1

Sometimes the other team makes a good play and/or coach makes a good play call.  We had been ramming it down their throat, and on this particular occasion, it wasn't our best blocking effort.  Castonzo couldn't pull and pick up the blitzing corner and that's all she wrote.  You're not going to win on every play and this one  just didn't go our way.  It happens...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

When you are shoving the ball down there throats and they are too tired to stop it you stick with it. It was absolutely a terrible play call that could of ruined our night. When something as basic as run right at them is working there is no need to overthink the situation which is what Frank did. But I sure wish I was perfect all the time too lol. Good game by the team from 53 to 1 and the coaching staff.

I have to admit some things. More like apologize. I have been very critical of this team as of late. Last nites game was a pleasure to watch. Both the lines did one incredable job. Everytime you turn around a new guy is contributing in a big way. With all the injuries I did not give them a chance at all. My wife talked me into watching then she went to bed. she woke up in the 4th quarter and said I told you so! The Mr. Houston play on 4th and one was a monster play.

If they can play to this level more often, good things could be coming their way.

3 hours ago, CaptainColt12 said:

It's just one play that didn't go in the colts favor, not a terrible call. Would you have been loving the call if it had turned into a first down. As well as the Honey Badger came out of nowhere and made a hell of a play. 

I just think it was a silly play to run at that particular time. Calling it on 3rd down would have been more reasonable. I would be the first one to criticize conservative play calling. My dumb Gamecocks try to run it up the middle all the time and keep getting stoned. So I would love to see them try something like this play that was called. However, when KISS is working, and I'm not calling you stupid, then stick with it. Make them stop you before you try something else.

5 hours ago, BigQungus said:

I don't think it was a terrible play call. Especially because we were running up the middle so much, we would've thought that they would think we were gonna do it again. But yes, I'm aware it blew up spectacularly. Just a little nitpicky knock on an otherwise flawless coaching game

I would have ran it up the middle again I bet that field goal turns into a touchdown game over don't matter what they did.

20 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Good play call with the mis-direction but a better read by a former pro bowl player in Mathieu.....

Sometimes you just gotta tip your cap.

Tossing it at a playmaker like Mathieu and expecting your LT to be quick enough to get out and block him is a bad play call, as realized with the outcome.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Tossing it at a playmaker like Mathieu and expecting your LT to be quick enough to get out and block him is a bad play call, as realized with the outcome.

Easy to say that when it didn't work. Had it worked people would be raving about it as a TD.

Hindsight.....

It's all good though, you have your opinion and I have mine.

• Like 1

You know it's a bad call (in your mind) if you can say it was a bad call even if it results in a big gain.  That was one such play imo for reasons stated.

Funny, but I think as a fan there are probably several calls a game you could pick out like that.  We just remember the ones with the bad results. 

On 10/7/2019 at 5:25 PM, ColtsLegacy said:

A run up the middle is never going to lose you 8 yards and they had not stopped it all night. It was ill-advised , regardless of the outcome.

Seahawks/Pats Super Bowl bad.

Oh come on. It's not that bad. It's ok to zag if people expect you to zig. Not if you have Marshawn Lynch at the 1 yard line, but still. As the post above said, look at the Pascal reverse. 

There is enough blame to go around for a such a large negative yardage play in that situation...but you can argue just as much that it’s a play you have to be able to call as part of your run mix and trust that your players will minimize the damage if it doesn’t work. 

Your QB might check out of it, and your RB might take the inside route rather than swing it outside and multiply the loss.  It’s probably only a loss of a couple yards if he doesn’t try to bounce it and might have gotten back to the LOS.