Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Turay Injury

BigQungus

This sucks. Turay was our best pass-rusher by a mile this year. How the hell has every single one of our best players suffered an injury already? This is horrible. Gotta feel for the kid, he worked his * off with Mathis in the off-season and it was showing some great results to start the season and now this... :( 

Hope he returns to full force next year. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

No way.  Sheard is back, and will take Turay's role, IMO.  Then there's Benagu.   

Sheard is an edge setter not a pass rusher so that’s why he would come out on passing downs and Turey would go in.  I think Banogu is the guy who gets the call to take his role.  It wouldn’t surprise me if Green is brought up from the PS to take Tureys spot.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Time for Banogu to step up and move Lewis back to end instead of getting him beat up inside!

Yes, hopefully Ben B. makes significant progress over the bye week, as his number is going to have to get called if we don't bring in a FA (I'm not really sure there are any FA's who are worth bringing in along the DL).  Time for Lewis to get healthy, and I imagine we'll see him rotate through almost all the positions in the DL depending on the situation.

9 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Rewatch the play where Turay was injured.  He was absolutely tenacious -- shades of Mathis.  Big loss.

The look on Mathis' face on the sideline after that injury really seemed like he was devastated for Turay.  Turay put in so much work this off-season to become Mathis' protege and his improvement from last year was very evident.  Best of luck to him in his recovery... and yes, I think this loss may wind up being bigger than playing without Hooker/Leonard/etc.. as Turay and Houston seemed to finally be finding chemistry.

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'd rather see Sheard play inside more.

I think Sheard's best on the outside... he's not a great pass rusher, but he's adequate, and he is a terrific run defender along the outside...

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Sheard is an edge setter not a pass rusher so that’s why he would come out on passing downs and Turey would go in.  I think Banogu is the guy who gets the call to take his role.  It wouldn’t surprise me if Green is brought up from the PS to take Tureys spot.

Agreed whole-heartedly on Sheard.  I wouldn't be shocked to see Green get brought up, but won't expect much from him... just re-read his scouting report and his major knock was he really lacks playing strength... "Green's tape was much better in 2017 than in 2018 when he was allowed to play as an edge linebacker rather than a defensive end. He is missing the necessary play strength to set strong edges and rush acumen to threaten as an NFL pass rusher at this time. With his length and athletic ability, he could be a practice squad candidate as teams look to increase his strength and school him up as a rusher for a future push for a roster spot." https://www.nfl.com/prospects/gerri-green?id=32194752-4523-7309-50f4-38e38928d30b

Of course, I don't know how well Green's strength is progressing, but sounds like it may take a full year or 2 in an NFL strength program to really get to this level.

17 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Rewatch the play where Turay was injured.  He was absolutely tenacious -- shades of Mathis.  Big loss.

He was on one for sure last night. He was consistent on getting pressure to Mahomes the entire night and was making quick work of the line men guarding him. It sucks for sure, but i look for him to have a absolutely massive year next year.

2 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Yes, hopefully Ben B. makes significant progress over the bye week, as his number is going to have to get called if we don't bring in a FA (I'm not really sure there are any FA's who are worth bringing in along the DL).  Time for Lewis to get healthy, and I imagine we'll see him rotate through almost all the positions in the DL depending on the situation.

The look on Mathis' face on the sideline after that injury really seemed like he was devastated for Turay.  Turay put in so much work this off-season to become Mathis' protege and his improvement from last year was very evident.  Best of luck to him in his recovery... and yes, I think this loss may wind up being bigger than playing without Hooker/Leonard/etc.. as Turay and Houston seemed to finally be finding chemistry.

I think Sheard's best on the outside... he's not a great pass rusher, but he's adequate, and he is a terrific run defender along the outside...

Agreed whole-heartedly on Sheard.  I wouldn't be shocked to see Green get brought up, but won't expect much from him... just re-read his scouting report and his major knock was he really lacks playing strength... "Green's tape was much better in 2017 than in 2018 when he was allowed to play as an edge linebacker rather than a defensive end. He is missing the necessary play strength to set strong edges and rush acumen to threaten as an NFL pass rusher at this time. With his length and athletic ability, he could be a practice squad candidate as teams look to increase his strength and school him up as a rusher for a future push for a roster spot." https://www.nfl.com/prospects/gerri-green?id=32194752-4523-7309-50f4-38e38928d30b

Of course, I don't know how well Green's strength is progressing, but sounds like it may take a full year or 2 in an NFL strength program to really get to this level.

Agreed.  If they don’t bring up Green they could bring back Phillips.

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I agree.   I still don't see Banogu getting all of the snaps Turay would have gotten.  And then there is Muhammed, unless he's hurt.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I agree.   I still don't see Banogu getting all of the snaps Turay would have gotten.  And then there is Muhammed, unless he's hurt.

I don’t think he’s hurt he’s just more of the mold Shread which is where he was playing until he got back.

39 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

The kid was really starting to come around. 

Hopefully his recovery is quick and successful. Gruesome ankle injury.

So who steps up now in his absence?

35 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Rappoport just announced, turay out for year, broken ankle.... I was hoping tibia, and return.... Poor guy

18 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Man that stinks.  I was afraid of that when I saw it.

Once I 'saw it', knew that his season was done.  I expect we'll hear him getting surgery soon.  Get well Dragon...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Gee, how many snaps did Sheard take at DT in passing situations. 
 Quite a few, and as good a reason as any why our pass rush was so tenacious.
 Sheard is a relentless pass rusher who maintains gap control.
 He has made a huge difference.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Isn't Green on the Patriots PS?

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Sheard isn’t a sack or rush guy. Hunt can come in and play DE in spots where Turay took them.

Sheard can get to the QB, he had 3 seasons with 7+ sacks before coming to Indy and had 5.5 sacks each of his first two years here.... I think he's best suited as a rush defending DE, but it's not like he cannot get to the QB.

8 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Wouldn't be surprised if they made this move, though I'd think they would've moved him to the Practice Squad (I think he's still eligible) if they really liked him... he did graduate from Illinois and played under coaching from our DL Coach Mike Phair... so I kinda thought when we initially brought him to Indy that had something to do with it... who knows, but hopefully we find some solution to replace Turay.

Just now, BigQungus said:

Isn't Green on the Patriots PS?

He's on our PS.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

Hopefully no ligament damage and just a break....that'll be easier to come back from.

I was thinking the same thing.  a year ago, my wife snapped her ankle while running after it rained. took her ligaments with it, made her recovery MUCH longer.  originally they said 8-10 weeks, ended up being about 16 before she could walk without a brace.  

17 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I was thinking the same thing.  a year ago, my wife snapped her ankle while running after it rained. took her ligaments with it, made her recovery MUCH longer.  originally they said 8-10 weeks, ended up being about 16 before she could walk without a brace.  

Can she rush the passer though? :)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It’s always a defender smh. Leonard, Hooker, Desir, and now Turray. We’re turning into last year’s Atlanta Falcons. Luckily Sheard is back. We should be fine. The biggest loss is for Turray’s development.

The good news is that aside from Turray, the others are not season ending injuries.  Leonard should be back after the bye.  Hooker they said 4 to 6 weeks.  It would be 4 weeks after the bye, so theoretically he should be back by week 9.  

• Like 1