Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Campbell?

Dingus McGirt

Just now, Dingus McGirt said:

Sorry for asking, I was traveling yesterday and couldn't watch the game.  I don't see Campbell's name in the box score or in any comments.  Was he inactive for yesterday's (KC) game?   Thanks!

He was inactive  had procedure done on ab injury 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Ballard missed the boat on the Campbell pick. Should have drafted the other Ohio St. WR, and Indianapolis native, Terry McLauren.

Campbell, IMO, has a lot more upside/potential than McLaurin.  We drafted him knowing he was raw, knowing we'd have to work with him on route running, etc... but he has shown when he's got the ball in his hands he can be very explosive.  

Let's re-evaluate this is their 3rd years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

I mean.... Someone has to play wr in Washington right? Mclaurin is the only guy they have.... It's like scoring 20 a game as the best player for the Charlotte hornets.... Who cares?

That analogy is a funny one. It's so true though.

I laugh when I hear he averages 22.5 for his 18-55 team.. Lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Hoping Phillip Campbell, I mean Parris Dorsett, gets back on the field soon.

Don't you dare say that.. Lol

The draft folks loved the pick so hopefully it's just the rookie blues right now.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Did Reich confirm that. I know he had the procedure or surgery but haven’t heard him say he will be out a while or no IR.

There is no official timetable for his return.  If he’s not on IR, you can assume that it will be less than 8 weeks.

Jafar Armstrong of ND suffered a similar abdominal injury against Louisville and missed roughly 5 weeks.

6 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Hoping Phillip Campbell, I mean Parris Dorsett, gets back on the field soon.

Ha... I get what you're saying, but there's a few differences here (IMO)...  Campbell was a late 2nd round pick, not a first like Dorsett... Campbell has much better size than Dorsett, and their numbers (speed/agility) match up pretty well.  Campbell seems to have already shown he's got more potential as a KR than Dorsett ever did in this league.

If Funchess is healthy, we are expecting Campbell to be at best our #3 WR as a rookie (in reality, he's probably more like #4/5/6 behind TY, Funchess, Cain, Pascal/Campbell/Rogers).  We expected Dorsett (at least it seemed like Grigs did) to come in and be a star off the bat with TY, a washed-up Andre Johnson and Butterfingers Moncrief... I don't think Campbell has near the same amount of pressure on him off the bat that Dorsett had.

Campbell's still pretty raw, but I think he's gonna turn out to be a very solid player for us in a year or two.

D.K. Metcalf?   I like Campbell and hopefully he proves to be the right choice in the long run, no pun intended.   Last Friday,  was talking to another football fan who we were both surprised to find out are Colts fanatics.  Neat to personally speak to someone who knows specifics of Colt players similar to me.  Anyway, we both thought D.K. Metcalf would have been a nice pick as well.  Seattle took him at #64, we got Campbell at 59.  Time will tell and I hope Ballard made the right choice and Reich can eventually utilize that 4.3 speed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Caffrey said:

D.K. Metcalf?   I like Campbell and hopefully he proves to be the right choice in the long run, no pun intended.   Last Friday,  was talking to another football fan who we were both surprised to find out are Colts fanatics.  Neat to personally speak to someone who knows specifics of Colt players similar to me.  Anyway, we both thought D.K. Metcalf would have been a nice pick as well.  Seattle took him at #64, we got Campbell at 59.  Time will tell and I hope Ballard made the right choice and Reich can eventually utilize that 4.3 speed. 

DK Metcalf looks better than I thought he would this early.. Reich also is the genius who really figured out how to utilize Darren Sproles to beat the Pats.  I think Campbell's got somethig similar to him.  Metcalf is essentially a younger Funchess.  

11 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Campbell, IMO, has a lot more upside/potential than McLaurin.  We drafted him knowing he was raw, knowing we'd have to work with him on route running, etc... but he has shown when he's got the ball in his hands he can be very explosive.  

Let's re-evaluate this is their 3rd years.

McLaurin is a straight stud though. He's their only decent WR and defenses know that. Even against NE he had a decent game. His routes are sharp and crisp and is a natural catcher. I would love to have McLaurin over Parris right now. I have never been a fan of project/raw players. Give me someone who solid all around and will only keep getting better. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Calmack said:

McLaurin is a straight stud though. He's their only decent WR and defenses know that. Even against NE he had a decent game. His routes are sharp and crisp and is a natural catcher. I would love to have McLaurin over Parris right now. I have never been a fan of project/raw players. Give me someone who solid all around and will only keep getting better. 

I tend to agree with you on project players, but think Parris is a bit different... he can contribute and be dangerous in many ways aside from being a traditional WR.

McLaurin is playing well, though I don't know if I'd go as far as calling him a 'straight stud.'  He's not in the top 50 in the NFL in receptions, is 3rd on his team in receptions (with an RB and a WR both having more than he, and there's another WR having 18 receptions to his 19).  He is fast and he has hit on some deep balls, so he does lead his team in yards (and his team also has given him the opportunity to take shots downfield).  

Other than the deep ball to Cain last week (which we got a PI call for us on), we have really not thrown the ball deep much.  I don't know if this is due to something with Jacoby (e.g., if Luck was here, would we still be dinking and dunking?), if it's just Reich/Sirriani's coaching philosophy (seems like we took more deep shots last year), if it's lack of talent at WR (TBH, after Funchess got hurt, outside of TY, I think all of our WRs rank as 'average' to 'good' but we really don't have anyone aside from TY who has emerged as the type to strike major fear in the opponent), or if Reich/Sirriani are holding plays back for later in the season, etc... but we're simply not taking deep shots (so far, it's worked for the most part and it's helped us control the clock, kept turnovers down and is generally effective at moving the chains).

Campbell's got a lot of potential to be dangerous with screens, short passes (like he was at OSU) and on reverses, etc... but IMO, with his speed, TY's speed, and Cain's speed, this offense could be really dangerous if we had those three 4.3 guys blowing the roof off opposing secondaries from time to time.  It could just be that Cain and Campbell need to hone their route running, or it could be that the coaches are easing Brissett into this offense (or it could be they've got a bunch of tricks up their sleeves and don't want to show our entire hand this early in the year?).  

It isn't just Campbell who is not getting a lot of yards per catch or balls thrown deep to him.  TY in his previous seven seasons averaged 13.2 ypc once, 15.9 ypc once, and the rest of his 5 seasons he was over 16 ypc.  This year he's at 9.7... which seems a little odd to me.