Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
CurBeatElite

Takeaways from KC

Recommended Posts

Just now, BigQungus said:

 

Is your reading comprehension really that bad? Where did I mention the Turay injury at all? And I never said we'll beat them 10/10 times. I don't think we'll beat even some bad teams 10/10. But that's not an excuse to take away credit for the win. Yes, we were helped by injuries, but our injuries definitely offset that more than enough to not use that as an excuse to not give us credit. Yes, I realize there's a lot of negatives in that statement which makes it hard to read.

 

Also, I consider Mahomes' injury to be cause by our pass rush, so you can't really use that as an excuse

I mentioned the Turay injury in the paragraph about the potential next meeting, in that missing him in that game won't be a facotr when comparing players coming back for KC and us next time.  I wasn't mentioning Turay in any response to your comment. 

 

I'm not looking for an excuse to take credit away from the win.  I don't invest heavily in shallow-formed opinions then look for ways to validate them later.

 

How much impact did the injuries on the KC side of the ball have on this game? 

 

As has been said.  We pretty much dominated the game, but it still came down to KCs last possession. 

 

I'm thinking Tyreek Hill would make a few plays during the game, and Kelce would've gotten open more because of the threat of Hill, or a screen pass to Shady.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I mentioned the Turay injury in the paragraph about the potential next meeting, in that missing him in that game won't be a facotr when comparing players coming back for KC and us next time.  I wasn't mentioning Turay in any response to your comment. 

 

I'm not looking for an excuse to take credit away from the win.  I don't invest heavily in shallow-formed opinions then look for ways to validate them later.

 

How much impact did the injuries on the KC side of the ball have on this game? 

 

As has been said.  We pretty much dominated the game, but it still came down to KCs last possession. 

 

I'm thinking Tyreek Hill would make a few plays during the game, and Kelce would've gotten open more because of the threat of Hill, or a screen pass to Shady.

I bet Devin Funchess would have helped out. Just like I’m sure Darius Leonard and Malik Hooker would’ve been helpful against the KC offense. Injuries are part of the games. Good teams overcome them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My take away is this defense has to keep showing what they did last night. This will  mean nothing if we don’t follow up with the same effort the next game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

My take away is this defense has to keep showing what they did last night. This will  mean nothing if we don’t follow up with the same effort the next game.

Hopefully it means less of the soft zone. So glad we went away from that last night.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Willis also deserves the starting job. Odum can actually play.  We have to find away to get Odum more snaps when hooker comes back. Odum played every snap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Although we didn't give up any sacks, KC still brought a lot of pressure to Jacoby, often times flushing him out of the pocket or getting him to the ground as he was getting the ball out.  I hope we can make some adjustments and pick up some blitz packages better as the year goes on, while no sacks is good there were a few hits on Jacoby that made me cringe.

 

Counterpoint: The Colts currently lead the league in NOT allowing pressure within 3 seconds of the snap at 9.5ish%, with the next closest being something like in the 12second range. Our line is holding up just fine

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BlueCollarColts said:

I bet Devin Funchess would have helped out. Just like I’m sure Darius Leonard and Malik Hooker would’ve been helpful against the KC offense. Injuries are part of the games. Good teams overcome them.

My comments in this thread is not about whether or not we have a good team.  I simply said that our backups can beat their backups.  And, I think the players they didn't have had more impact for their team than the players we didn't have for ours.

 

We had Leonard last year and the KC O moved the ball at will on the D.  I don't see much difference other than who wasn't playing for KC.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I mentioned the Turay injury in the paragraph about the potential next meeting, in that missing him in that game won't be a facotr when comparing players coming back for KC and us next time.  I wasn't mentioning Turay in any response to your comment. 

 

I'm not looking for an excuse to take credit away from the win.  I don't invest heavily in shallow-formed opinions then look for ways to validate them later.

 

How much impact did the injuries on the KC side of the ball have on this game? 

 

As has been said.  We pretty much dominated the game, but it still came down to KCs last possession. 

 

I'm thinking Tyreek Hill would make a few plays during the game, and Kelce would've gotten open more because of the threat of Hill, or a screen pass to Shady.

 

We can all play what ifs. But sometimes we're wrong. We all pretty much unanimously said the Colts would get a whuppin. And we were wrong. All my point is, is... who knows?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheMarine said:

 

Counterpoint: The Colts currently lead the league in NOT allowing pressure within 3 seconds of the snap at 9.5ish%, with the next closest being something like in the 12second range. Our line is holding up just fine

 

Yes, I think our run blocking has been superb and our pass blocking has been very good.  However, if there is room for improvement on our OL (perhaps with our RBs) it would be keeping Jacoby clean when blitzers come in... I think we'll be just fine and I think/hope we'll see Jacoby get the ball out a little quicker more consistently as the season goes on, but if there's anything to knock the pass protection on it would be there were a few plays where they sent a blitzer who got through pretty easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DougDew said:

My comments in this thread is not about whether or not we have a good team.  I simply said that our backups can beat their backups.  And, I think the players they didn't have had more impact for their team than the players we didn't have for ours.

 

We had Leonard last year and the KC O moved the ball at will on the D.  I don't see much difference other than who wasn't playing for KC.

 

 

 

Look, you cannot say that just because they were missing Hill, Watkins, Chris Jones, and Anthony Hitchens, we were playing backups. You also can't say that if we were both fully healthy, the same outcome wouldn't occur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

 

Look, you cannot say that just because they were missing Hill, Watkins, Chris Jones, and Anthony Hitchens, we were playing backups. You also can't say that if we were both fully healthy, the same outcome wouldn't occur

How can you say what I can say or not say?

 

Nevermind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the biggest takeaway - how about - play more man coverage? This is the game we've played most man coverage since Reich/Eberflus became coaches for the Colts. 

 

We played OVER 60(SIXTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) % of defensive snaps in man yesterday.

OVER SIXTY %! 

Let that one sink in...

 

I know part of it is probably Mahomes getting injured. But even before he got injured we were doing much better than expected. 

 

I know part of it is due to the huge surprise it must have been for the Chiefs that this is how we were playing them and teams in the future might adjust... but STILL... this is SOOOO MUCH BETTER than those soft zones. Just mix it up enough to put the doubt in the opposing QB's head. Don't give him everything presnap. Don't give him the short to intermediate zones wide open on every snap. 

 

I really do hope Eberflus looks at this game and realizes that this is a much better approach not only against this team but against most. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I think we'll be just fine and I think/hope we'll see Jacoby get the ball out a little quicker more consistently as the season goes on

 

Coming into the regular season I thought my biggest fear with Jacoby was his lack of touch. well, I was wrong there but what concerns me atm is his lack of anticipating recievers coming open. He will throw to the open man. I dont get a sense of him throwing a reciever open or throwing to a spot on a route, anticipating a WR making a cut. I think a team which plays a lot of man D will allow the rush to get home on him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

My comments in this thread is not about whether or not we have a good team.  I simply said that our backups can beat their backups.  And, I think the players they didn't have had more impact for their team than the players we didn't have for ours.

 

We had Leonard last year and the KC O moved the ball at will on the D.  I don't see much difference other than who wasn't playing for KC.

 

 

Your forgetting one thing. We ran the ball last night and couldn’t in the playoff game. We had long drives that kept Mahomes on the bench. We didn’t have that in the playoff game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Here's the biggest takeaway - how about - play more man coverage? This is the game we've played most man coverage since Reich/Eberflus became coaches for the Colts. 

 

We played OVER 60(SIXTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) % of defensive snaps in man yesterday. OVER SIXTY %! 

I know part of it is probably Mahomes getting injured. But even before he got injured we were doing much better than expected. 

 

I know part of it is due to the huge surprise it must have been for the Chiefs that this is how we were playing them and teams in the future might adjust... but STILL... this is SOOOO MUCH BETTER than those soft zones. Just mix it up enough to put the doubt in the opposing QB's head. Don't give him everything presnap. Don't give him the short to intermediate zones wide open on every snap. 

 

I really do hope Eberflus looks at this game and realizes that this is a much better approach not only against this team but against most. 

We took a play out of the Detroit playbook.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

We took a play out of the Detroit playbook.

Yep, they play a lot in man... almost entirely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, BlueCollarColts said:

Khari Willis has earned a starting spot, reminds me somewhat of Bob Sanders 

The "Human Missle" TFL play comes to mind.  That was spectacular!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Your forgetting one thing. We ran the ball last night and couldn’t in the playoff game. We had long drives that kept Mahomes on the bench. We didn’t have that in the playoff game.

I am out of likes... and yes, I realize we ran the ball last night which is why I pointed out that our run blocking and RBs were a huge strength last night.  

 

So far this season we've seen a very balanced offense (not always within every game, but across games).  A couple weeks ago Brissett started the game 16-16 and wound up with 310+ passing yards and several TDs.  Last night he threw for less than half that, but we killed KC with the run.  I'm hoping Funchess and Campbell returning will allow us to add a few new wrinkles into our O... if so, we'll be a very hard team to gameplan against.  Reich is also the best Colts coach I can remember in regard to making in game adjustments with the offense.  

 

Like Brissett said in the locker room after the game, hopefully that game was a spring board to going on a run and doing special things this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, will426 said:

i agree on mack dancing too much 

 

 He's not dancing. He is waiting for blocks to create space to run through. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Your forgetting one thing. We ran the ball last night and couldn’t in the playoff game. We had long drives that kept Mahomes on the bench. We didn’t have that in the playoff game.

The issue about the backups isn't about our O vs their D.  Its about our D vs their O.  Their O had plenty of possessions.  They scored 13 points.

 

If Hill and Shady were on the field at the same time, they would have gotten the ball in their hands in space and KC would have scored more points.   Damian Williams isn't really that kind of threat, and Mahommes throwing pinpoint throws to the WRs running precise patterns isn't really his game.  If you don't want to see it that way, fine.  I'm not arguing you should, I'm just defending myself against attacks from those saying that I shouldn't see it the way I see it, which is typical.

 

Its a W regardless of circumstances.  Carry on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, stitches said:

Here's the biggest takeaway - how about - play more man coverage? This is the game we've played most man coverage since Reich/Eberflus became coaches for the Colts. 

 

We played OVER 60(SIXTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) % of defensive snaps in man yesterday.

OVER SIXTY %! 

Let that one sink in...

 

I know part of it is probably Mahomes getting injured. But even before he got injured we were doing much better than expected. 

 

I know part of it is due to the huge surprise it must have been for the Chiefs that this is how we were playing them and teams in the future might adjust... but STILL... this is SOOOO MUCH BETTER than those soft zones. Just mix it up enough to put the doubt in the opposing QB's head. Don't give him everything presnap. Don't give him the short to intermediate zones wide open on every snap. 

 

I really do hope Eberflus looks at this game and realizes that this is a much better approach not only against this team but against most. 

love this post!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigQungus said:

 

Honestly, regarding the INT, I changed my mind every time they showed a new angle or even just another replay. It wasn't clear and obvious to me. But it seems like based on that game, the officiating crew didn't give much importance to the call on the field

Still wasn't enough evidence to overturn that was a trash call.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Willis also deserves the starting job. Odum can actually play.  We have to find away to get Odum more snaps when hooker comes back. Odum played every snap.

Yes I agree we should see if we can get anythingnfor Geathers. I believe Willis and Odum should start first. Trade or cut Geathers, he has had his chance time to let the young guys earn there keeps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a Colts fan. But, team looked like old NFL. Big linemen. Fast, Big linemen who were hungry on both O and D. First time I’ve seen the premature GOAT Mahomes run for his life. I called that outcome in first Q. I hope Indy becomes Cinderella and shows up in February at the dance. Good luck Indy Nation. PS Jacoby is the new franchise QB2B

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, DougDew said:

How can you say what I can say or not say?

 

Nevermind.

 

Nice way to throw an equivocation and try to derail my point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Yes I agree we should see if we can get anythingnfor Geathers. I believe Willis and Odum should start first. Trade or cut Geathers, he has had his chance time to let the young guys earn there keeps.

Geathers is a good veteran backup. Just don’t want to see him take many snaps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this was what most teams want to do against the Chiefs.   Play a slow run first game to dominate the time of possession and keep the ball out of MaHolmes hands.  It worked.  It kept working.   Usually stuff like that only works for a quarter or 2.  I think it got to the point where Reich preferred a FG and a few more minutes to tick off than a TD and those minutes left on the clock.   

The plan worked almost to perfection.  

 

Different subject.   This was the first time I heard of the new onside kick rules.    Even though they helped us last night, I'm not a fan of them.   I think they were at around 7% success rate last year.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21:52 to 7:29 Colts vs Chiefs TOP in the second half, wow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, csmopar said:

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=325676

This game day thread was hilarious to read. I thought we had some overracting fans, but they even have fans hoping our players die. Incredible read

people think this forum is bad after a loss, but its really normal for an nfl message board

 

this place is pretty tame compared to some of them, like the chiefs and eagles.  our division rival forums are a real **** show after we beat them too.  especially the titans 

 

chiefs have "fans" calling for their own players to kill them selves smfh 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

 

Nice way to throw an equivocation and try to derail my point

That's because your point was derailing my original point. 

 

Saying that our backups beat their backups is a decent generalization, along with what looked like backup officials.  I'm happy about it.

 

I'd have to think that if Hill and Shady are on the field at the same time, they score more than 13 points.  And I'm not sure what our O could have done to score more than 16 points (KCs gimmie on 4th down) without opening us up to more of their pass rush, if Jones was there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

21:52 to 7:29 Colts vs Chiefs TOP in the second half, wow!

That’s why you can’t get on JB to much. We didn’t want a shootout.  We used so much clock on all of our drives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The defense is a work in progress with all the new players but if they show that kind of feverish effort every week that will make things much more difficult on offenses. Our offense needs to have our playmaker step-up Up. Ebron looks lost at times and we're not getting the ball to our tight ends as much as we should. There were too many plays where we had to throw the ball away. I know we're missing players but since two people were covering Hilton all night it was up to Rogers, Pascal and our tight ends to get open. I find it amazing that we ran the ball so well and took off so much time in our drives. That's a great takeaway but you can't run the ball against everybody like we did last night. Brissett will have to be more accurate and receivers and tight ends will have to be more available by running better routes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IT was fun watching Mahomes face sitting there on the bench with those long drives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stitches said:

Here's the biggest takeaway - how about - play more man coverage? This is the game we've played most man coverage since Reich/Eberflus became coaches for the Colts. 

 

We played OVER 60(SIXTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) % of defensive snaps in man yesterday.

OVER SIXTY %! 

Let that one sink in...

 

I know part of it is probably Mahomes getting injured. But even before he got injured we were doing much better than expected. 

 

I know part of it is due to the huge surprise it must have been for the Chiefs that this is how we were playing them and teams in the future might adjust... but STILL... this is SOOOO MUCH BETTER than those soft zones. Just mix it up enough to put the doubt in the opposing QB's head. Don't give him everything presnap. Don't give him the short to intermediate zones wide open on every snap. 

 

I really do hope Eberflus looks at this game and realizes that this is a much better approach not only against this team but against most. 

 

 

Pass rush man.  You can do that when there is a rush like last night.  But if you go man without it, it's bad, bad news.  Pass rush, pass rush, pass rush.  Key to any NFL defense in the 20 teens.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DougDew said:

The issue about the backups isn't about our O vs their D.  Its about our D vs their O.  Their O had plenty of possessions.  They scored 13 points.

 

If Hill and Shady were on the field at the same time, they would have gotten the ball in their hands in space and KC would have scored more points.   Damian Williams isn't really that kind of threat, and Mahommes throwing pinpoint throws to the WRs running precise patterns isn't really his game.  If you don't want to see it that way, fine.  I'm not arguing you should, I'm just defending myself against attacks from those saying that I shouldn't see it the way I see it, which is typical.

 

Its a W regardless of circumstances.  Carry on.

Hypothetical bunkum. You definitely cannot predict what you profess to know and have presented as fact.

 

Mary Mary....... 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

My take away is this defense has to keep showing what they did last night. This will  mean nothing if we don’t follow up with the same effort the next game.

Why is that, pray tell? Are those rotten sods at NFL HQ going to take our win off us? How unfair...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...