Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Brissett vs Mahomes thought

Imgrandojji

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I prefer QBs like JB over QBs like Mahommes. 

Mahommes seems to feast or famine on the big plays, and has little patience or consistency to move the ball in a ball-control fashion.  He would also require a ton of salary cap, meaning his play would be pretty much the sole factor in wins or losses. 

I agree (feels weird to say that as a Colts fan that's had Manning/Luck for the past two decades).

To the bolded, I think that might be Andy Reid as much as Mahomes.  Their gameplan was probably to attack our two backup safeties, so Reid probably scripted a number of big plays down the field.

But I think you're right about Mahomes.  I think he has a little Aaron Rodgers in him when it comes to extending plays looking for a downfield shot.  As exciting as that can be, it's risky, and I'd rather have Brissett just checking it down and extending drives.  :rock:

51 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That avatar is great. 

Thank you 

58 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I prefer QBs like JB over QBs like Mahommes. 

Mahommes seems to feast or famine on the big plays, and has little patience or consistency to move the ball in a ball-control fashion.  He would also require a ton of salary cap, meaning his play would be pretty much the sole factor in wins or losses. 

Slow down there buddy. 

21 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Relax, relax, I know I'm getting a reputation as a Brissett fanboy, well earned I might add, but I'm not going to argue that my boy JB is in any way as talented or proficient as his opponent tonight.

With that said...

Patrick Mahomes knew he was having difficulty executing his offensive gameplan.  As a result... abslutely nothing happened.  No in game adjustment.  No change to the gameplan.  Patrick Mahomes believes first and foremost in Patrick Mahomes, and when he's not enough to solve the situation he doesn't know how to handle that.

JB knew he was having issues being as effective as he needed to be tonight.. and so the game plan very quickly adjusted.  As the early returns came in we went to the run more and more, I even  thought I saw a couple times when Brissett killed the play to hand the ball off.

Mahomes is a better passer.  He's a better scrambler.  But tonight brissett was the better leader.  And that sometimes counts for a lot more than pure prowess, as tonight's win clearly demonstrates

I'm not convinced all that running was JBs idea. I feel Reich was more of a factor in that area.