Indianapolis Colts
Imgrandojji

A Brissett vs Mahomes thought

Relax, relax, I know I'm getting a reputation as a Brissett fanboy, well earned I might add, but I'm not going to argue that my boy JB is in any way as talented or proficient as his opponent tonight.

With that said...

Patrick Mahomes knew he was having difficulty executing his offensive gameplan.  As a result... abslutely nothing happened.  No in game adjustment.  No change to the gameplan.  Patrick Mahomes believes first and foremost in Patrick Mahomes, and when he's not enough to solve the situation he doesn't know how to handle that.

JB knew he was having issues being as effective as he needed to be tonight.. and so the game plan very quickly adjusted.  As the early returns came in we went to the run more and more, I even  thought I saw a couple times when Brissett killed the play to hand the ball off.

Mahomes is a better passer.  He's a better scrambler.  But tonight brissett was the better leader.  And that sometimes counts for a lot more than pure prowess, as tonight's win clearly demonstrates

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Tonight it shows why you still need a run game. KC could be deadly if they had a run game.

This is silly. KC was down their 2 best WRs, and Mahomes was hobbled on O. On D, they were thin at DL and missing 4 of their front 7.

I'm uber elated with the win. But it has little to do with JB. It has do with a good running game and a D that stood up and shut down a depleted O that has a league leading scoring record of 24 or more.

If you want me to list JB issues, I can. 

Give the game ball to Mack and Huston.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

This is silly. KC was down their 2 best WRs, and Mahomes was hobbled on O. On D, they were thin at DL and missing 4 of their front 7.

I'm uber elated with the win. But it has little to do with JB. It has do with a good running game and a D that stood up and shut down a depleted O that has a league leading scoring record of 24 or more.

Excuses

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Tonight it shows why you still need a run game. KC could be deadly if they had a run game.

I find it odd they cut the woman beater because it was the “right think to do” but the kid beater is still on the team... 

Just now, EastStreet said:

??

You act like injuries are the reason we won.

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Why does everybody keep talking about how injured KC was. We were missing a lot of players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We were missing our reigning defensive player of the year, our stud FS, our other safety, one of our starting receivers, and we had a hobbled #1 WR and Rb.

Every team is hurt, this is football, not shuffleboard. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

Why does everybody keep talking about how injured KC was. We were missing a lot of players.

Our D was injured, and they stepped up big time vs a very injured O. It's just fact.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, IinD said:

You act like injuries are the reason we won.

There are many reasons we won. And many reasons KC lost. Injuries are part of that equation. 

18 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

We were missing our reigning defensive player of the year, our stud FS, our other safety, one of our starting receivers, and we had a hobbled #1 WR and Rb.

Every team is hurt, this is football, not shuffleboard. 

Geathers is garbage though. Everyone else was badly missed

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Brissett has his issues, but he also played an all right game.  He protected the ball well in the 2nd half and didn't take any unnecessary risks.  The run game obviously carried us today, but Brissett protected the ball and made very few poor decisions.  I don't think our WRs had a great game, either with drops (Ebron had a very catchable ball hit him right in the chest on a 3rd and long that would've put us at 4th and inches) or inability to get open.  

1 hour ago, HectorRoberts said:

I find it odd they cut the woman beater because it was the “right think to do” but the kid beater is still on the team... 

The woman beater was caught on camera and was suspended by the NFL.  The police concluded they had insufficient to prove Hill caused injuries to his kid (https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/chiefs/2019/07/19/chiefs-tyreek-hill-nfl-no-suspension-investigation-child-abuse-allegations/1776290001/)  -- there is something in the US Constitution which says citizens are 'innocent until proven guilty.'  There was not enough evidence to conclude Hill was actually guilty of child abuse and the child's mom refused to interview with NFL League Officials after Hill spent over 8 hours cooperating with them.

3 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Brissett has his issues, but he also played an all right game.  He protected the ball well in the 2nd half and didn't take any unnecessary risks.  The run game obviously carried us today, but Brissett protected the ball and made very few poor decisions.  I don't think our WRs had a great game, either with drops (Ebron had a very catchable ball hit him right in the chest on a 3rd and long that would've put us at 4th and inches) or inability to get open.  

JB's game was OK at best. The only drop was Ebron, and honestly was contested.

• Haha 1

There are many reasons we won. And many reasons KC lost. Injuries are part of that equation. 

Cant argue with that.

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

JB's game was OK at best. The only drop was Ebron, and honestly was contested.

That was a ball which should have been easily caught.  

Brissett's game, as I said was 'all right' (a synonym of OK).  That said, he played the game he was asked to play tonight... the only time we went deep we drew a critical PI call (the deep ball to Cain, which was a well thrown ball).  Both Mack and Wilkins were averaging over 4 yards per carry.  The short passing game was effective at moving the chains.  I'm quite sure a major part of today's game plan was 'keep the ball out of Mahommes' hands.'  We almost doubled them in time of possession, which was done by running the ball and moving the chains with a short passing game.  

Mahommes tweaked his ankle twice tonight.  The second time he did it, we got the ball back and had a 14 play drive (for 35 yards and ended in a FG) which took 8 min 34 seconds off the clock (this is incredible for a 35 yard drive), plus we had a commercial break for the end of Q3 and the challenge of TY's interference call.... not saying it was exactly the game plan, but aside from killing that much time off the game clock, Mahommes was on the bench with a bum ankle for >15 minutes.  Not sure if you've ever had a bum ankle, but keeping it still for that long and then having to try to loosen it up is awful and Mahommes certainly looked a little slower when he came back onto the field.  

Yes, there were a few plays where Brissett missed reads deep, but overall he protected the ball when he needed to, and our team succeeded at playing 'keep away from Mahommes.'  QBR wise, this was Brissett's worst game of the year, but we still walked away with a W in a game which very few expected us to win (I think Vegas had us as 11 point underdogs and you can see the consensus on this message board prior to the game).  Brissett wasn't asked to make any huge plays in this game, he was asked to essentially be a game manager, and he succeeded at that... I'm sure there will be games later in the year when he's asked to do more, but for tonight, he did enough to get the W and that's really what matters.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CurBeatElite said:

That was a ball which should have been easily caught.  

I agree it should have been caught. I wouldn't say it's an easy catch, but it's one that should be paid by a high paid TE. It was contested, and IIRC, going to the ground.

Brissett's game, as I said was 'all right' (a synonym of OK).  That said, he played the game he was asked to play tonight... the only time we went deep we drew a critical PI call (the deep ball to Cain, which was a well thrown ball). 

It was not well thrown. It was under thrown into double coverage. Lucky it wasn't picked off. If it were deeper, Cain could have made a better attempt at it.

Both Mack and Wilkins were averaging over 4 yards per carry.  The short passing game was effective at moving the chains.  I'm quite sure a major part of today's game plan was 'keep the ball out of Mahommes' hands.'  We almost doubled them in time of possession, which was done by running the ball and moving the chains with a short passing game.  

Agree, but do you not think the TOP was influenced a great deal by both KC's passing game and DL injuries. It's almost like the luck of the Irish shined right down on us.

Mahommes tweaked his ankle twice tonight.  The second time he did it, we got the ball back and had a 14 play drive (for 35 yards and ended in a FG) which took 8 min 34 seconds off the clock (this is incredible for a 35 yard drive), plus we had a commercial break for the end of Q3 and the challenge of TY's interference call.... not saying it was exactly the game plan, but aside from killing that much time off the game clock, Mahommes was on the bench with a bum ankle for >15 minutes.  Not sure if you've ever had a bum ankle, but keeping it still for that long and then having to try to loosen it up is awful and Mahommes certainly looked a little slower when he came back onto the field.  

I've had two serious ankle injuries, both in walking boot. The best way to keep mobile is to keep moving, or booze :-). 

Yes, there were a few plays where Brissett missed reads deep, but overall he protected the ball when he needed to, and our team succeeded at playing 'keep away from Mahommes.'  QBR wise, this was Brissett's worst game of the year, but we still walked away with a W in a game which very few expected us to win (I think Vegas had us as 11 point underdogs and you can see the consensus on this message board prior to the game).  Brissett wasn't asked to make any huge plays in this game, he was asked to essentially be a game manager, and he succeeded at that... I'm sure there will be games later in the year when he's asked to do more, but for tonight, he did enough to get the W and that's really what matters.

Team win.

• Like 2

Our D was injured, and they stepped up big time vs a very injured O. It's just fact.

Our D was injured.  Their O was "very" injured. What's with all the hate East???  You still upset Luck left?  You mad that JB is our QB & hasn't lead us to 0-5 so that Kelly can get a shot?  What motivates you to hate your own?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I agree it should have been caught. I wouldn't say it's an easy catch, but it's one that should be paid by a high paid TE. It was contested, and IIRC, going to the ground.

It was not well thrown. It was under thrown into double coverage. Lucky it wasn't picked off. If it were deeper, Cain could have made a better attempt at it.

Agree, but do you not think the TOP was influenced a great deal by both KC's passing game and DL injuries. It's almost like the luck of the Irish shined right down on us.

I've had two serious ankle injuries, both in walking boot. The best way to keep mobile is to keep moving, or booze :-). 

Team win.

Very good team win, yes.  Best team win we've had in a while, the only real negatives I took from this game were: (1) Turay's injury, and (2) It would've been nice to get another couple of TDs rather than settle for FGs.   Otherwise, there are some minor adjustments to make, etc... but we executed a very well thought out game plan very well.  I think 'Flus silenced some doubters with his win.

We had 3 starters out on D, I think they had 2 out on O... sure, it could've been a different game w/ Tyreek and Sammy Watson in the game, but it could've also been a different game (in our favor) if we had Hooker and Leonard in the game.  KC doesn't have a very good run D, and mainly they don't need to because Mahommes and their O put up so many points which forces other teams to pass.  That said, credit our OL and our RBs should be given as much as discrediting KC's DL.  Q was dominating guys, Mack and Wilkins showed nice patience and trust in their OL (that 4th and 2 run where Mack followed Smith on the outside was a thing of beauty and something which I haven't been used to as a Colts fan since the Edgerrin days).  The only real blunder I saw from our OL in the run game was the pitch to Wilkins late in the game when Costanzo didn't get outside fast enough to put a body on the Honey Badger (in reality, Honey Badger just made a very very good play).

Yes, Ebron was going to the ground, and he had a guy behind him who would have landed on his back, but the ball hit him square in the numbers and the defender didn't deflect it or have a hand or anything else obstructing Ebron's vision.. it was a bad drop.

Yes, I agree keeping moving to prevent stiffness and booze are probably the most two effective ways to help an ankle injury.  After the second time Mahommes had his ankle tweaked, we kept him sitting on the bench for ~15 minutes and he did not look very mobile after his return to the field.. even though it went only 34 yards, that 8 minute 34 second drive was a thing of beauty at that point in the game.

The ball he threw to Cain wasn't a perfect ball, but it was a good throw.  Cain, if he hadn't gotten tripped, would've had a very good chance at coming down with that and it's the first time this year where Brissett showed he's got the arm strength to really take some deep shots.

I think what today's win demonstrates is that we don't need help defensively. We shut down the best offense and MVP QB in the league without much problem. Instead we should draft a QB to run up the score. 

What say you Colts Nation? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Our D was injured.  Their O was "very" injured. What's with all the hate East???  You still upset Luck left?  You mad that JB is our QB & hasn't lead us to 0-5 so that Kelly can get a shot?  What motivates you to hate your own?

Thanks.... our D was missing our 2 best players (Leonard and Hooker) along with another starter (Geathers) and a key rotational player (T. Lewis).  They were without 2 WRs (Hill and Watkins are both very good, but I'd say Kelce and Mahommes are the 2 best players on that offense).  Their O was no more injured than our D (Mahommes did slow down a little bit after his ankle got stepped on late in the 3rd, but he was still in the game -- our first team all-pro LB wasn't even on the field).

14 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I'm still mad the Colts dumped Manning for Luck lol...

I have no allegiance to Luck. Just being realistic.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Even on a night where we pull a big upset,  we have the negative posters showing up.....

I don't pretend to know how good Jacoby can eventually be,  but I do know this,  what we are currently seeing right now --- whatever level you think that is --- Brissett is not done improving.   There's no reason to think that.   QB's improve.   He's played 5 games in this offense.   He played 15 games in a completely different offense two years ago.    He played 4 games for New England and played well.

Whatever he is,  he should get better.   How much better,  I don't know.

But I do know this...    no one else here knows either.   If he levels off at a game manager level,  the people calling him that now will scream "I told you so!"...     Sorry,  but you don't know squat.   You simply guessed and came up right.    If you guess the correct lottery numbers,  you didn't know anything.   You just got a lucky guess.

None of us have seen enough of JB to know how good he is.    Making an argument one way or the other on such a small sample size is silly.   Brissett will get better this year.    And, assumig all goes well,  he should be better next year too. 

Some here are just too invested in being right.   Just sit back and enjoy the season.   We're still playing with House Money.    Maybe tonight starts a magical run like we had last year.   Maybe not.   But I intend to enjoy it the rest of the way.    Hope you do too.

Hey there NCF, 

A well balanced response on JB my friend. I like that about you. You weigh the pros & cons equally & remind us all to just enjoy the ride & not over analyze the situation to death. Good advice as always. 

"If you guess the correct lottery numbers, you didn't know anything.  You just got a lucky guess." 

Ah man, you mean that doesn't make me a mathematical genius? Just joking. True, nobody has any idea what Jacoby will turn into yet. I like your approach though. Be patient & don't expect greatness pronto. Let him develop & see what his learning curve is as our starting QB. Just let this season be this season & not become preoccupied with grand expectations of eliteness. Just focus on being consistently good week in; week out.  Well said brother. :hat:

I hope all is well with you as well. 

Off topic: You wrote a movie review several yrs ago about "25th Hour" starring actor Edward Norton that was top notch by the way. I should retrieve that critique & go into greater detail about that column/write up. I need to do that more often. Highlight great writers & critics on here. I don't do that enough. I tend to dominate that movie thread more than I should. I need to remedy that. Anyway, nice work NCF. You are a talented writer IMO. 

• Like 1

Again, I haven't seen the full game yet, so my comments are only based off the highlight reels, but it looked like the game showed what both QBs are currently. 

Mahommes, pressured, no run game, but still made out of this world plays. He's the real deal, I'm  not talking just elite, but I do think when we look back he'll be considered a QB who changed the game. 

JB, solid, good decisions, executed the game plan and didn't let the occasion overwhelm him. For all his arm strength, I'm still disappointed he can't hit on the PA deep shots that are perfect for this O when they play like that. BUT, I'm not writing him off, let's assess at the end of the season.

It showed what I think we've known for a while, elite QBs can win games by themselves, but a team who's winning the trenches on both sides can win without getting into a shootout. A much more complete roster/game plan. 

Andy Reid lets Mahomes be Mahomes but last night, Frank Reich pulled the strings far better in adjusting for the most part. Reich and Eberflus called a great game!!! 

Mahomes and Brissett, fair or not, are still extensions of their head coaches on the field.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Andy Reid lets Mahomes be Mahomes but last night, Frank Reich pulled the strings far better in adjusting for the most part. Reich and Eberflus called a great game!!! 

Mahomes and Brissett, fair or not, are still extensions of their head coaches on the field.

That’s the one slight reservation I have about Mahomes, Andy Reid is probably the best offensive mind of this generation of coaches IMO.

Brissett hands the ball off better than anyone. 

JK! 

I do LOVE that fake throw, draw play they ran a few times. That fake was excellent. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Relax, relax, I know I'm getting a reputation as a Brissett fanboy, well earned I might add, but I'm not going to argue that my boy JB is in any way as talented or proficient as his opponent tonight.

With that said...

Patrick Mahomes knew he was having difficulty executing his offensive gameplan.  As a result... abslutely nothing happened.  No in game adjustment.  No change to the gameplan.  Patrick Mahomes believes first and foremost in Patrick Mahomes, and when he's not enough to solve the situation he doesn't know how to handle that.

JB knew he was having issues being as effective as he needed to be tonight.. and so the game plan very quickly adjusted.  As the early returns came in we went to the run more and more, I even  thought I saw a couple times when Brissett killed the play to hand the ball off.

Mahomes is a better passer.  He's a better scrambler.  But tonight brissett was the better leader.  And that sometimes counts for a lot more than pure prowess, as tonight's win clearly demonstrates

JB is really good at handing the ball off.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

JB is really good at handing the ball off.

He actually is.  He goes the extra mile to sell the play action on a hand off

44 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

He actually is.  He goes the extra mile to sell the play action on a hand off

Peyton Manning was the same way

10 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

With that said...

Mahomes was obviously hurting the entire second half. That limp got worse and worse as the game went on.  I dare say if he had been 100% the settling for FG would have bitten Indy in the butt big time!  

That said the refs were sure trying get KC that win, I still can’t figure out ..

A. How that was PI on Hilton.

B. What evidence they saw to overturn the INT. 

Two key plays that COULD have drastically changed the game.

mind you I am very happy Indy one!!

signed

A Pats Fan (lol)

I like Brissett, but I thought last night was his worst game throwing the ball. I kept thinking we would have had three TDs instead of field goals if Luck was still there, but then again Reich blew the one drive with the pitch outside. He does appear to be a great leader and has been good throwing except for last night.

28 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

Mahomes was obviously hurting the entire second half. That limp got worse and worse as the game went on.  I dare say if he had been 100% the settling for FG would have bitten Indy in the butt big time!  

That said the refs were sure trying get KC that win, I still can’t figure out ..

A. How that was PI on Hilton.

B. What evidence they saw to overturn the INT. 

Two key plays that COULD have drastically changed the game.

mind you I am very happy Indy one!!

signed

A Pats Fan (lol)

Don’t fret, Indy will get the league letter apologizing for the missed calls. I will say one thing, pretty sure based off of so many challenges to PI and not getting overturned, I think the league has a stance of I don’t care if it’s blatantly missed, we are not overturning it. Has any been overturned this season yet anywhere?

22 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

I like Brissett, but I thought last night was his worst game throwing the ball. I kept thinking we would have had three TDs instead of field goals if Luck was still there, but then again Reich blew the one drive with the pitch outside. He does appear to be a great leader and has been good throwing except for last night.

Although KC defense isn’t great the one thing they do great is the red zone.

I prefer QBs like JB over QBs like Mahommes. 

Mahommes seems to feast or famine on the big plays, and has little patience or consistency to move the ball in a ball-control fashion.  He would also require a ton of salary cap, meaning his play would be pretty much the sole factor in wins or losses. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

With that said...

Mahomes is the best QB in the league, beating him and his team was just priceless. That smirk look he had on his face in the 4th Qtr was wonderful lmao . He knew he was beat. He has never been held under 25 points. Frank's game plan was beautiful. Like when Rocky beat Clubber :banana:

• Like 2