Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Imgrandojji

Week 5 impressions: Brissett

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard also mentioned in his quarter update that Parris was still learning how to play outside. He said we were not using him a lot where he was used to.  The best way for young guys to improve is playing. Your going to take some lumps but in the end it pays off. Just like what the defense is doing right now.

 

Parris is not the only WR playing out of his normal position. They've been playing Rogers on the outside as well. Cain, who was an X, is now playing Z and slot. IMO, the coaches are tinkering way too much.

 

To your earlier point (about playing easy teams), it's really not about gaining confidence. JB needs to improve in a few fundamental areas. Read progression and touch/accuracy/timing. Sure confidence will help, but he needs work on core skill sets. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

 

Parris is not the only WR playing out of his normal position. They've been playing Rogers on the outside as well. Cain, who was an X, is now playing Z and slot. IMO, the coaches are tinkering way too much.

 

To your earlier point (about playing easy teams), it's really not about gaining confidence. JB needs to improve in a few fundamental areas. Read progression and touch/accuracy/timing. Sure confidence will help, but he needs work on core skill sets. 

That stretch of four games might be the perfect time. Yes about the WR playing out of position. That’s another reason I don’t blame it all on JB. Maybe they are tinkering like Eberflus has done the last couple of seasons and it will eventually gel together like the defense has. You know Reich is sitting down with JB and working on improvement. We will see if he is able to do that by the end of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That stretch of four games might be the perfect time. Yes about the WR playing out of position. That’s another reason I don’t blame it all on JB. Maybe they are tinkering like Eberflus has done the last couple of seasons and it will eventually gel together like the defense has.

Chemistry will help, but JB lacks touch, and that won't improve with better WR routes. Not sure it's going to help him go through progressions either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Chemistry will help, but JB lacks touch, and that won't improve with better WR routes. Not sure it's going to help him go through progressions either.

His touch has been pretty good. If your talking about how hard he throws it I heard something on the radio that is a bad excuse. I think it was a WR and he said that does not matter. That Mahomes TD pass Sunday was a bullett.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Touch is an excuse used by teams with quarterbacks with limited arms.  If you're going to talk about touch 2 of the best touch passers in our era were Brady and Manning, and they both put on laser shows in their primes.

 

If you don't have the hands to receive a hard pass from a QB, or one that's a bit off center, or one that requires you to adjust your body to catch... then you are lying to people when you claim you are an NFL wideout.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Touch is an excuse used by teams with quarterbacks with limited arms.  If you're going to talk about touch 2 of the best touch passers in our era were Brady and Manning, and they both put on laser shows in their primes.

 

If you don't have the hands to receive a hard pass from a QB, or one that's a bit off center, or one that requires you to adjust your body to catch... then you are lying to people when you claim you are an NFL wideout.

This is exactly what the WR said on the radio show I was listening to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just rewatching the highlights from Sunday’s game. That pass to Cain sure looked like it was right in Cain’s bread basket and would of been a catch if he hadn’t been interfered with. He probably has the catch in the TN game also if not for the PI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We  can speculate all we want as to  Brissetts supposed  short comings.  I guarantee u this. Reich and Ballard have all the film and will know by game 16 if he is the guy they want moving forward.  Reich played the position, so I defer to as to whether Brissett is improving or not.  They will basically have 2 years of film on  Brissett that will assist  them in making their final assessment. If they draft a qb in the draft early then we will know what they think of him. Quite simple actually.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

We  can speculate all we want as to  Brissetts supposed  short comings.  I guarantee u this. Reich and Ballard have all the film and will know by game 16 if he is the guy they want moving forward.  Reich played the position, so I defer to as to whether Brissett is improving or not.  They will basically have 2 years of film on  Brissett that will assist  them in making their final assessment. If they draft a qb in the draft early then we will know what they think of him. Quite simple actually.

Ehh, kinda depends on where they draft him.  If they draft a 3rd or 4th rounder, they may just be grooming a future backup.

 

If a QB goes in the first or second round though, then clearly Brissett's job will be to keep the team competitive while that guy learns and eventually takes the team over.  Or they just like having really talented backups that can legit start if the starter goes down, like they did with Luck and Brissett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Ehh, kinda depends on where they draft him.  If they draft a 3rd or 4th rounder, they may just be grooming a future backup.

 

If a QB goes in the first or second round though, then clearly Brissett's job will be to keep the team competitive while that guy learns and eventually takes the team over.  Or they just like having really talented backups that can legit start if the starter goes down, like they did with Luck and Brissett

The patriots are good at drafting QB in the 2nd and third round just for that reason. I think it’s smart to have a backup that is that capable. I don’t think think they will draft a QB with the intention of being a backup. Not with hoyer locked up for a few years. You want a veteran in that slot still I think. As much as we laugh about Kelly he could be a backup next year. Also even if they draft one in the first or early second there is no guarantee they will develop. One of the reasons I don’t think they will draft a QB to sit the bench for a year is not sure they will want to carry 3 QB. I think they like hoyer as the veteran.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

We'll know all we need to about JB by halftime of the Texans game, eight days from now.

Not really lol. Didn’t he just beat the chiefs.  We will have a better idea after 16 games and when we get all our WR healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

We'll know all we need to about JB by halftime of the Texans game, eight days from now.

How so?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Not really lol. Didn’t he just beat the chiefs.  We will have a better idea after 16 games and when we get all our WR healthy.

So "he" beat the Chiefs. Ok.... 

I guess the D and RBs had zero to do with it. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Ehh, kinda depends on where they draft him.  If they draft a 3rd or 4th rounder, they may just be grooming a future backup.

 

If a QB goes in the first or second round though, then clearly Brissett's job will be to keep the team competitive while that guy learns and eventually takes the team over.  Or they just like having really talented backups that can legit start if the starter goes down, like they did with Luck and Brissett

That was kind of my point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

How so?

Expectations are high after the upset of the Chiefs.  The pressure is magnified against the Colts top division rival.  JB will either stake his claim as the man, or crumble in the spotlight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Not really lol. Didn’t he just beat the chiefs.  We will have a better idea after 16 games and when we get all our WR healthy.

The Colts beat the Chiefs.  Not one player.  The credit in that game mostly goes to the defense, the o-line, and Mack.  They didn’t beat them on Brissett’s right arm.  Like Superman said this week people need to stop associating team success with good QB play.  You can have one with out the other.  

 

Brissett did what I expect him to do in most games against KC.  He managed the game.  That’s not a bad thing but it’s what he is.  It’s what he’s been every game this season outside of the Falcons game.  The strength of this team is the oline and the running game.  They will go as far as those things can carry them.  That’s not a knock on Jacoby because this team isn’t built for him to carry them so they aren’t going to ask him too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Expectations are high after the upset of the Chiefs.  The pressure is magnified against the Colts top division rival.  JB will either stake his claim as the man, or crumble in the spotlight.

Did he crumble against the chiefs? That game was just as big.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The Colts beat the Chiefs.  Not one player.  The credit in that game mostly goes to the defense, the o-line, and Mack.  They didn’t beat them on Brissett’s right arm.  Like Superman said this week people need to stop associating team success with good QB play.  You can have one with out the other.  

 

Brissett did what I expect him to do in most games against KC.  He managed the game.  That’s not a bad thing but it’s what he is.  It’s what he’s been every game this season outside of the Falcons game.  The strength of this team is the oline and the running game.  They will go as far as those things can carry them.  That’s not a knock on Jacoby because this team isn’t built for him to carry them so they aren’t going to ask him too.  

Didn’t JB throw a pass to Hilton that was 3rd and 22 to Hilton then in fourth down to DF in that chargers game. Last I checked it was JB who threw the TD to tie that game. He also threw the TD in the Titans game to give us the lead. Ended the falcons game with a pass to Doyle. I think he had a little bit to do with those wins also. Don’t sell him short. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The Colts beat the Chiefs.  Not one player.  The credit in that game mostly goes to the defense, the o-line, and Mack.  They didn’t beat them on Brissett’s right arm.  Like Superman said this week people need to stop associating team success with good QB play.  You can have one with out the other.  

 

Yeah sorry, Brissett wasn't a passenger.  It was an ugly win, but Brissett still put some key plays together to get some extra points on the board that we don't win without.  The 2 minute drill going into halftime comes to mind quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The Colts beat the Chiefs.  Not one player.  The credit in that game mostly goes to the defense, the o-line, and Mack.  They didn’t beat them on Brissett’s right arm.  Like Superman said this week people need to stop associating team success with good QB play.  You can have one with out the other.  

 

Brissett did what I expect him to do in most games against KC.  He managed the game.  That’s not a bad thing but it’s what he is.  It’s what he’s been every game this season outside of the Falcons game.  The strength of this team is the oline and the running game.  They will go as far as those things can carry them.  That’s not a knock on Jacoby because this team isn’t built for him to carry them so they aren’t going to ask him too.  

I think most people are just saying if the QB plays bad, a team does not normally win which is pretty obvious. JB isn't going to throw for a lot of yards in most games because we are now a run 1st offense. Troy Aikman is a great example of having average to above average stats when Dallas were winning SB's. They were a run 1st offense with Smith getting 100 yards a game. Having said that almost every week people praised Troy because all he did was win. There were games where Troy had like 175 yards 1 TD and no INT's and Dallas still won but yet ESPN was all over his jockstrap. 

 

IMO, I think there are a few in here that want to see JB fail so they can say told you so. Those same people want to draft a QB already or have Chad Kelly start after 5 games lmao . You can call that extreme all you want but I can only go by what some people post.  

 

I am pro JB as of now, simply because he looks like a legit starter to me and we are 3-2 as a team. The team chemistry just looks great with him in there. I will have to see if I think the same way in about 2 months or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think most people are just saying if the QB plays bad, a team does not normally win which is pretty obvious. JB isn't going to throw for a lot of yards in most games because we are now a run 1st offense. Troy Aikman is a great example of having average to above average stats when Dallas were winning SB's. They were a run 1st offense with Smith getting 100 yards a game. Having said that almost every week people praised Troy because all he did was win. There were games where Troy had like 175 yards 1 TD and no INT's and Dallas still won but yet ESPN was all over his jockstrap. 

 

IMO, I think there are a few in here that want to see JB fail so they can say told you so. Those same people want to draft a QB already or have Chad Kelly start after 5 games lmao . You can call that extreme all you want but I can only go by what some people post.  

 

I am pro JB as of now, simply because he looks like a legit starter to me and we are 3-2 as a team. The team chemistry just looks great with him in there. I will have to see if I think the same way in about 2 months or so.

I don’t disagree with this.  I just object to the idea of saying Brissett beat the Chiefs.  He didn’t, the Colts did. It’s not like they won 45-42 shoot out in which Brissett threw for 400 yards and 5 TDs.  

 

With that said Brissett isn’t be asked to do that, he’s being asked to do what he’s doing, manage the game.  Which is fine.  As you pointed out, and I agree with you on, this has become a run first team.

 

I would also agree there are people who are just looking for him to fail because they have already decided he isn’t the answer.  I also think there are people who overlook any legit flaw in Brissett’s game and attack anyone who dares to question him.  The truth is Brissett is a middle of the road to lower end NFL starter.  Again, that’s not a knock on him the Colts could be in a lot worse of a position at the QB spot than they are.  It’s just what he is and it’s what Reich expected him to be which is why he called him a top 20 QB.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Didn’t JB throw a pass to Hilton that was 3rd and 22 to Hilton then in fourth down to DF in that chargers game. Last I checked it was JB who threw the TD to tie that game. He also threw the TD in the Titans game to give us the lead. Ended the falcons game with a pass to Doyle. I think he had a little bit to do with those wins also. Don’t sell him short. 

And that has what to do with the KC game?  Don’t over inflate what he did either and sell the running game and defense short.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn’t Brissett score the only TD in the chiefs game.  He also had some key throws and the team had no false starts in that loud stadium. He got them in the correct protections also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

 The team chemistry just looks great with him in there

 

The Colt's offense has the fewest penalty yards. That speaks to Brissett's command of the offense. Not just any Scott Tolzien or Curtis Painter would have the Colts 3-2.

 

Some judge Brissett as if he has Wayne on the left, Harrison on the right, Brandon Stokely in the slot, and Dallas Clark at tight end.

 

But what he has is TY doubled, #2 receiver out injured, two first year receivers still in diapers, "Lumber" Jack Doyle who is no Dallas Clark, and Ebron who drops too many (he holds on to the TD in LA and the Colts are 4-1.)

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t disagree with this.  I just object to the idea of saying Brissett beat the Chiefs.  He didn’t, the Colts did. It’s not like they won 45-42 shoot out in which Brissett threw for 400 yards and 5 TDs.  

 

With that said Brissett isn’t be asked to do that, he’s being asked to do what he’s doing, manage the game.  Which is fine.  As you pointed out, and I agree with you on, this has become a run first team.

 

I would also agree there are people who are just looking for him to fail because they have already decided he isn’t the answer.  I also think there are people who overlook any legit flaw in Brissett’s game and attack anyone who dares to question him.  The truth is Brissett is a middle of the road to lower end NFL starter.  Again, that’s not a knock on him the Colts could be in a lot worse of a position at the QB spot than they are.  It’s just what he is and it’s what Reich expected him to be which is why he called him a top 20 QB.  

Has anyone said JB beat the Chiefs by himself? If so I did not read those posts. Our defense and running game mostly won the game. All I have really said is JB played well enough to win and he didn't screw things up. He does deserve credit for that at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Didn’t Brissett score the only TD in the chiefs game. 

Yes he did.  Brissstt also gave up points by staring down a receiver and throwing a pick in the redzone.  So If you want to play the he scored the only TD game you have to acknowledge the mistake he made too.  

 

I am not calling for Brissett to be replaced.  I am saying he’s exactly what the Colts asked him to be, a game manager, and that’s fine.  Let’s just stop over inflating him due to blind loyalty.  That’s just as bad as calling for him to be replaced because people want to be right about saying he’s not the answer.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Has anyone said JB beat the Chiefs by himself? If so I did not read those posts. Our defense and running game mostly won the game. All I have really said is JB played well enough to win and he didn't screw things up. He does deserve credit for that at least.

Yes.  The post I first quoted that you first responded too said he beat Chiefs.  I agree with you on most of your points.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yes he did.  Brissstt also gave up points by staring down a receiver and throwing a pick in the redzone.  So If you want to play the he scored the only TD game you have to acknowledge the mistake he made too.  

 

I am not calling for Brissett to be replaced.  I am saying he’s exactly what the Colts asked him to be, a game manager, and that’s fine.  Let’s just stop over inflating him due to blind loyalty.  That’s just as bad as calling for him to be replaced because people want to be right about saying he’s not the answer.

Yes.  The post I first quoted that you first responded too said he beat Chiefs.  I agree with you on most of your points.  

Ok I see it now lmao . I think when some say a QB beat so and so that is just force of habit. I even do it sometimes because it is the QB. Like Manning beat Brady for example haha 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, egg said:

 

The Colt's offense has the fewest penalty yards. That speaks to Brissett's command of the offense. Not just any Scott Tolzien or Curtis Painter would have the Colts 3-2.

 

Some judge Brissett as if he has Wayne on the left, Harrison on the right, Brandon Stokely in the slot, and Dallas Clark at tight end.

 

But what he has is TY doubled, #2 receiver out injured, two first year receivers still in diapers, "Lumber" Jack Doyle who is no Dallas Clark, and Ebron who drops too many (he holds on to the TD in LA and the Colts are 4-1.)

 

 

I think it is reasonable to say that JB can be as good as Nick Foles and Joe Flacco. Given the team and coaching he has right now. They both won SB's. JB will never be Andrew Luck but he may not have to be if our team keeps improving. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yes he did.  Brissstt also gave up points by staring down a receiver and throwing a pick in the redzone.  So If you want to play the he scored the only TD game you have to acknowledge the mistake he made too.  

 

I am not calling for Brissett to be replaced.  I am saying he’s exactly what the Colts asked him to be, a game manager, and that’s fine.  Let’s just stop over inflating him due to blind loyalty.  That’s just as bad as calling for him to be replaced because people want to be right about saying he’s not the answer.

Yes.  The post I first quoted that you first responded too said he beat Chiefs.  I agree with you on most of your points.  

That INT was not caused by staring down the WR. It was a bad throw. All he had to do was loft it up there higher and Ebron had a TD. It was the right read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, egg said:

 

The Colt's offense has the fewest penalty yards. That speaks to Brissett's command of the offense. Not just any Scott Tolzien or Curtis Painter would have the Colts 3-2.

 

Some judge Brissett as if he has Wayne on the left, Harrison on the right, Brandon Stokely in the slot, and Dallas Clark at tight end.

 

But what he has is TY doubled, #2 receiver out injured, two first year receivers still in diapers, "Lumber" Jack Doyle who is no Dallas Clark, and Ebron who drops too many (he holds on to the TD in LA and the Colts are 4-1.)

 

 

This. Everyone acts like he has three all pros as WR. He made some good throws against the chiefs when needed. He still had three TD without TY against the raiders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This. Everyone acts like he has three all pros as WR. He made some good throws against the chiefs when needed. He still had three TD without TY against the raiders. 

 

Your posting style reminds me of a former Pats poster we had in these parts, she had similar tastes in blinkers, making bizarre statements and ignoring the debunking of them. Manged to wear out her welcome here, and then on a Pats fan board (that's impressive). 

 

Wait a minute.... we got Brissett from the Pats... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ok I see it now lmao . I think when some say a QB beat so and so that is just force of habit. I even do it sometimes because it is the QB. Like Manning beat Brady for example haha 

Maybe.  I was just objecting to the idea because this wasn’t some epic QB duel like Manning and Brady used to have.  With that said, I think you and me are pretty much on the same page.  I like Brissett I want him to do well and keep developing but the extremes that’s fans keep posting on both ends of him get tiring.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

 

Your posting style reminds me of a former Pats poster we had in these parts, she had similar tastes in blinkers, making bizarre statements and ignoring the debunking of them. Manged to wear out her welcome here, and then on a Pats fan board (that's impressive). 

 

Wait a minute.... we got Brissett from the Pats... 

 

Oh gawd, I almost forgot about her...   :groan:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That INT was not caused by staring down the WR. It was a bad throw. All he had to do was loft it up there higher and Ebron had a TD. It was the right read.

Actually it was caused by him staring him down and a bad throw.  Even if it’s just the later it’s still on him and it’s not like it’s some how ok because it was just a bad throw.  

 

I didn’t object to it being the right read but when you stair the guy down and then make a poor throw the fact it was the right read goes out the window.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

 

Oh gawd, I almost forgot about her...   :groan:

 

Those were the days... lmao

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think it is reasonable to say that JB can be as good as Nick Foles and Joe Flacco. Given the team and coaching he has right now. They both won SB's. JB will never be Andrew Luck but he may not have to be if our team keeps improving. 

Flacco and Foles are exactly who I think of when I think of Brissett and both QBs have shown if you put the right team around them they can win the big one.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This. Everyone acts like he has three all pros as WR. He made some good throws against the chiefs when needed. He still had three TD without TY against the raiders. 

He also threw the game sealing pick 6.  I would agree that Brissett wasn’t close to the biggest issue in the Raiders game either.  The drops and the lines getting owned on both sides of the ball were much bigger problems in that game than Jacoby.  Anyone who tries to put that loss squarely on Brissett’s shoulders is wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Flacco and Foles are exactly who I think of when I think of Brissett and both QBs have shown if you put the right team around them they can win the big one.  

 

They can but Foles was a weird situation, he wasn't their "starter". Flacco won it, but then look at the damage having an overpaid average QB did to the Ravens after it. 

 

The aim isn't just to win one and be done. The aim is to build a team that can compete year in, year out. 

 

AGAIN, I'm not saying I know Brissett can't be a Franchise guy, but I'm not ready to crown him, and there are some very worrying aspects to his play for a QB of his experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...