Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Refs

TimetobringDfence!

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The refs have made it known they don’t like the new rule because it’s always been a judgement call so they are making it clear they just aren’t going to overturn those calls.  McAfee has been railing about this on his show this past week and he’s right.  

Personally I think Goodell needs to tell the head officials I don’t care if you don’t like the rule enforce it or I will find someone who will.

I disagree.   I think reviewing most of these is just crap.   You review most passing plays, and there could be a case to argue pass interference.  I don't want to see the game turn into that, so I support the way the refs are doing it even if it hurt the Colts last night.   

I'll be a bit surprised if the Colts don't get an "apology" from the NFL later this week on the TY pass interference call.  I agree that the overturned catch/fumble probably hit the ground, but in that case the "indisputable evidence" justification was thrown out the window.

• Like 1

I was painfully amused at the TY push from behind call at the goal line, and then the completely ignored, blatant push from behind by the Chiefs Olineman on the Colts Dlineman who was chasing Mahomes on his TD pass. Ref was staring right at it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I disagree.   I think reviewing most of these is just crap.   You review most passing plays, and there could be a case to argue pass interference.  I don't want to see the game turn into that, so I support the way the refs are doing it even if it hurt the Colts last night.   

That’s fine to disagree with the rule.  I am not overly excited about it myself but it’s a rule and if it’s there it should be enforced.

24 minutes ago, coltsva said:

I was painfully amused at the TY push from behind call at the goal line, and then the completely ignored, blatant push from behind by the Chiefs Olineman on the Colts Dlineman who was chasing Mahomes on his TD pass. Ref was staring right at it.

Yeah, I agree.  That was on Turray, who was getting close to Mahomes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Realistically the reason the PI wasn’t overturned is because the officials don’t like that their judgement can be challenged it’s becoming clear they are trying to kill this rule by just not overturning anything.  Personally I think Goodell should step in and tell his head of officials follow the rules or I will find someone who will.  

^^^^^^THIS!!!

As soon as they implemented the new rule, I knew that it wouldn't work because the league is asking the refs to openly admit that they made a mistake, and reverse their own call. It just wont happen.

Last night's call on T.Y. was a blatant example of their stubbornness to overturn their own bad call. It was obvious to everyone that it was a bad call, yet they kept with it.

I really want to know what the statistics are on the pass interference challenges. How many of them have been successfully challenged? I'm guessing very few.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think that sets a dangerous precedent where if the officials just don’t like something they don’t have to call it.  That’s not how rules are supposed to work.

I understand that, but this is like holding.   You can find holding on almost every snap.  If they didn't call it, I don't want the defense to be able to throw a flag and challenge it.   The refs would have to reverse and call it on every play that was challenged.

The Hilton play should have been reversed though.  I totally agree.  

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I understand that, but this is like holding.   You can find holding on almost every snap.  If they didn't call it, I don't want the defense to be able to throw a flag and challenge it.   The refs would have to reverse and call it on every play that was challenged.

The Hilton play should have been reversed though.  I totally agree.  

The difference is they call holding when it’s obvious.  They still don’t over turn PI calls when it’s obvious.  It’s not just the Colts game it’s been highlighted all season.  

Again, I agree with you I am not crazy about the rule in the first place but it’s there and it needs to be called correctly.  It’s not up to the officials to get to ignore a rule just because they don’t like it.

Officiating will never get better until there's pressure for it to happen.  Too many excuses and too much brotherhood now enable the officials that don't have the necessary tools to be in the NFL.

I sure hope that some officials aren't influenced by point spreads and the "home" crowd.  It seems the NFL hierarchy doesn't see this as a serious problem.  As long as the ratings are good then it's OK.

I'll never understand two reviewed calls -- both that went against us:

-- The OPI on Hilton.  Not only did he not initiate the contact, he was clearly within the 1 yard limit.  He had 100% right to that space and it baffles me that the crews in New York upheld that call.  Is this going to be yet another blown call against us that the NFL is going to admit they blew?

-- The Okereke INT.  I agree that it's possible the ball hit the ground.  But the video was anything but conclusive on that.  In such cases, where there isn't incontrovertible video evidence, the ruling on the field is supposed to stand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

The worst call of the game, by far, was Kelce's fumble. He caught the ball, had two feet down, was looking to run with it, and got hit. A very obvious fumble. 

I honestly think that one could've gone either way.  It was very, very close and I imagine that where somebody comes down on what the right call was probably had a lot to do with who they were cheering for.

But there is no way that call was worse than the Hilton OPI.  Here is the applicable verbiage from the Rule 8, Section 5, Article 3, Note 2:

Acts that do not occur more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage are not pass interference, but could be offensive or defensive holding (see 12-1-3 and 12-1-6).

The play obviously did not happen more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage, so by rule it could NOT have been PI.  And there's no way they could've called holding on TY, he was just standing there.

That was an awful call.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

The worst call of the game, by far, was Kelce's fumble. He caught the ball, had two feet down, was looking to run with it, and got hit. A very obvious fumble. 

I disagree.  The ball got knocked out just as the second foot came down and before he could "make a football move".

Obviously, I wanted it to be a fumble, but I think the refs actually made the right call there, to let it play out as a fumble and overturn it after review.

• Like 3

I started watching the Chiefs to see what was going on in the background. In just a single quarter I saw the chiefs commit blatant face masks twice and one block in the back ! None of these was called , although the Colts were called for a block in the back in that same quarter . I know that many here do not agree with me, but I am thoroughly convinced that many Refs are paid off !! That is the only possible reason for such bad calls, especially when the bad calls are all made against one team ! If it were simply bad calling, we should be seeing these calls against both teams! Plus, please remember that there are huge amounts of money riding on  Not which team wins, but What the point spread may be !! This is confirmed by the fact that the bad calls increase in number as the game starts to wind down !  Some , or perhaps even all, of the Refs are trying to keep the point spread down, which wins some people BIG money !!

8 minutes ago, Thorolf said:

I started watching the Chiefs to see what was going on in the background. In just a single quarter I saw the chiefs commit blatant face masks twice and one block in the back ! None of these was called , although the Colts were called for a block in the back in that same quarter . I know that many here do not agree with me, but I am thoroughly convinced that many Refs are paid off !! That is the only possible reason for such bad calls, especially when the bad calls are all made against one team ! If it were simply bad calling, we should be seeing these calls against both teams! Plus, please remember that there are huge amounts of money riding on  Not which team wins, but What the point spread may be !! This is confirmed by the fact that the bad calls increase in number as the game starts to wind down !  Some , or perhaps even all, of the Refs are trying to keep the point spread down, which wins some people BIG money !!

Last night was pretty bad.

• Like 1

The first TD pass by Mahomes, was bad. Houston had his arm and shoulder grabbed not once, but twice, and literally pulled back while the back judge was watching Mahomes run around. I just shook my head and was wondering why was he watching the QB and NOT the line play. As I said earlier, they could have called holding on KC's OL almost every play. The DL was just beasting last night. 

• Like 2

On 10/7/2019 at 10:41 AM, PHJIndy said:

Officiating will never get better until there's pressure for it to happen.  Too many excuses and too much brotherhood now enable the officials that don't have the necessary tools to be in the NFL.

I sure hope that some officials aren't influenced by point spreads and the "home" crowd.  It seems the NFL hierarchy doesn't see this as a serious problem.  As long as the ratings are good then it's OK.

I think most officials are usually influenced by the crowd, also they are affected exponentially by the volume.   I hate replay, the refs have gotten lazy and are getting more like NBA refs and treating 'stars' more with kid gloves.  Generally, on the road you have to really be much better to win.