Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Players Ruled Out for Sunday:

John Waylon

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think if I was the colts I would release Dulin and bring up Johnson from the PS. He has more experience.

With Campbell out, is there a chance Dulin returns kicks? Granted he played at a small school, he excelled there in college (3 KR TDs as a senior).  

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I'm gonna laugh if we pull off an upset win against KC, would be downright hilarious on numerous levels but especially for those giving up already. 

I'm right there with ya. I've never seen a fanbase lie down in the fetal position when faced with the slightest bit of adversity like our fans are this week. No wonder people call us soft.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I read Josh Allen (Buffalo QB) was throwing yesterday, but cannot have contact until his passes protocol.  @Superman hit it on the head, the end process of the protocol is being able to practice w/o showing symptoms.... I'm kind of curious to know what kinda symptoms Leonard is still showing that are keeping him out, but if he needs to be kept out it's definitely in his best interest later in life.

We'll have to play similar to how we played 2 weeks ago and sustain long drives which result in scoring early and often.  Our best chance is just to keep the ball away from Mahommes as much as possible, and with TY back in the line-up, we should have a shot at doing OK there.

Medical staff has very little to do with concussions and concussion recovery.  They aren't something you can prevent with strength and conditioning and time and rest are really the only things that allow them to recover.  The med staff should probably be praised for reporting a failed test for Leonard as he'd be put at more risk going out and playing if he wasn't 100% (I don't know how often it happens any more, but I know in the past a lot of coaches would pressure med staffs to clear players from concussions to allow them to get back on the field).

Yea, this would be a much different tune if we were 3-1 or 4-0 going into this game (which we very well could be).  That said, everyone in our division is 2-2 and we're undefeated against our division opponents so far... we need to win our divisional games or at least go 4-2 in them, and we need to win the games we're supposed to win (Denver, Miami, etc.) and we'll probably be in pretty good shape in the AFC South at 9-7/10-6.

The nice thing is after this weekend 3 of our 4 most difficult non-divisional games are over.  We'll have LAC, ATL and KC out of the way and then we have Miami, Denver, Pittsburgh (who hasn't really looked good w/o Big Ben), Tampa Bay (let's hope their win over the Rams was a fluke, as they looked awful before then), Carolina (very beatable) and New Orleans (the only game I don't think we should be expected to win).  

The rest of the AFC South still have these non-divisional games (which, IMO are more difficult than our remaining schedule):

Texans:  ATL, KC, Baltimore, OAK, Pats, Bucs, Broncos (they've got 4 very good teams left in ATL, KC, BALT, NE whereas we've got KC and NO as the really good teams)

Titans:  BUFF, DEN, LAC, TB, CAR, KC, OAK (they've got 3 very good teams left)

Jags: CAR, NO, Cincy, NYJ, TB, LAC, OAK, TB, ATL (again 3 very good teams left)

I think our team could be in better position, but we're certainly still in the hunt for the AFC South and (IMO) have the easiest remaining schedule within our division.  Plus, we should be getting Hooker back soon, Mack back after the bye, Leonard back after the bye, Funchess back after the bye, Geathers back after the bye, etc. etc... and our young guys will have gotten some critical experience and should only improve week to week.

I think some of the titans problems will be solved with lewan back this week. Mack had a full practice so I am sure he will go. As far as the Texans they are capable of going on s run. They did what we did last year starting out like 1-4 and going on a run like we did. The Texans are one team if Watson gets hot can beat KC. Funchess cant come back until about week nine or ten. One if the AFC teams could be two games up by the time we play the Texans.

36 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Why not? It’s the same team, with more talent than last season, minus luck. JB is tied for league lead in TD passes.  

LOL, don't even waste your breath man. Haven't you heard, JBs TDs are meaningless, the product of smoke & mirrors, a fugazi. If he throws 4 more on Sunday, those will be a mirage as well.

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think some of the titans problems will be solved with lewan back this week. Mack had a full practice so I am sure he will go. As far as the Texans they are capable of going on s run. They did what we did last year starting out like 1-4 and going on a run like we did. The Texans are one team if Watson gets hot can beat KC. Funchess cant come back until about week nine or ten.

It's week 7 when we return from the bye, so we have 1-3 weeks without him... we'll have him down the stretch, though, which is what will really matter -- especially if we can stay healthy and some of the younger WRs gain more experience and trust with JB.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Why not? It’s the same team, with more talent than last season, minus luck. JB is tied for league lead in TD passes.  

You are right, Brissett has played well enough so far this year to believe that the Colt offense will produce better On Sunday night than the Luck led offense did just a few months ago.

The Brissett led offense should be able to score more than 7 points. 

They should be able to produce more than 266 total net yards.

They should be able to pass for more than 203 yards and 4.6 yards per pass play.

They should be able to control the clock for more than 20 minutes.

They should do better than 0/9 on 3rd down conversions.

They should be able to do better than 0/2 in the red zone.

The problem is on defense, though. This game there will be no Leonard, Geathers, or Farley.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I read Josh Allen (Buffalo QB) was throwing yesterday, but cannot have contact until his passes protocol.  @Superman hit it on the head, the end process of the protocol is being able to practice w/o showing symptoms.... I'm kind of curious to know what kinda symptoms Leonard is still showing that are keeping him out, but if he needs to be kept out it's definitely in his best interest later in life.

We'll have to play similar to how we played 2 weeks ago and sustain long drives which result in scoring early and often.  Our best chance is just to keep the ball away from Mahommes as much as possible, and with TY back in the line-up, we should have a shot at doing OK there.

Medical staff has very little to do with concussions and concussion recovery.  They aren't something you can prevent with strength and conditioning and time and rest are really the only things that allow them to recover.  The med staff should probably be praised for reporting a failed test for Leonard as he'd be put at more risk going out and playing if he wasn't 100% (I don't know how often it happens any more, but I know in the past a lot of coaches would pressure med staffs to clear players from concussions to allow them to get back on the field).

Yea, this would be a much different tune if we were 3-1 or 4-0 going into this game (which we very well could be).  That said, everyone in our division is 2-2 and we're undefeated against our division opponents so far... we need to win our divisional games or at least go 4-2 in them, and we need to win the games we're supposed to win (Denver, Miami, etc.) and we'll probably be in pretty good shape in the AFC South at 9-7/10-6.

The nice thing is after this weekend 3 of our 4 most difficult non-divisional games are over.  We'll have LAC, ATL and KC out of the way and then we have Miami, Denver, Pittsburgh (who hasn't really looked good w/o Big Ben), Tampa Bay (let's hope their win over the Rams was a fluke, as they looked awful before then), Carolina (very beatable) and New Orleans (the only game I don't think we should be expected to win).  

The rest of the AFC South still have these non-divisional games (which, IMO are more difficult than our remaining schedule):

Texans:  ATL, KC, Baltimore, OAK, Pats, Bucs, Broncos (they've got 4 very good teams left in ATL, KC, BALT, NE whereas we've got KC and NO as the really good teams)

Titans:  BUFF, DEN, LAC, TB, CAR, KC, OAK (they've got 3 very good teams left)

Jags: CAR, NO, Cincy, NYJ, TB, LAC, OAK, TB, ATL (again 3 very good teams left)

I think our team could be in better position, but we're certainly still in the hunt for the AFC South and (IMO) have the easiest remaining schedule within our division.  Plus, we should be getting Hooker back soon, Mack back after the bye, Leonard back after the bye, Funchess back after the bye, Geathers back after the bye, etc. etc... and our young guys will have gotten some critical experience and should only improve week to week.

Agree with you 100%, all of your posts are smart and thorough!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

It's week 7 when we return from the bye, so we have 1-3 weeks without him... we'll have him down the stretch, though, which is what will really matter -- especially if we can stay healthy and some of the younger WRs gain more experience and trust with JB.

So I guess it is possible we get funchess back after this 4 out of 5 home game stretch. I wonder how well he is recovering. A guy like funchess is able to beat press man coverage.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

We just don't have the magic this year.

We were 1-5 to start last year, we're already in a better place (record wise).  If we come back healthy and get hot after the bye, we'll be sitting in nice position to take the AFC South.

The entire AFC is kind of a mess right now -- you've got KC and NE at 4-0, Buffalo at 3-1 (if NE didn't knock Allen out of the game, I actually thought NE could've won that game, they've been very surprising so far).... then you've got 8 teams at 2-2 (including the entire AFC South), the Steelers at 1-3 and 4 teams at 0-4.

If things keep going like they are, chances are a 10-6 record will be good for a playoff spot (heck perhaps even a 9-7 or 8-8 with tie breakers will do the trick).  We could easily be 3-1 (Vinny's kicks) and possibly even 4-0 (we didn't show up vs. OAK).... I don't think there's any reason to panic about this team yet.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

So I guess it is possible we get funchess back after this 4 out of 5 home game stretch. I wonder how well he is recovering. A guy like funchess is able to beat press man coverage.

Funchess also provides a big body and seemingly had good chemistry with Jacoby.... he should really help us in short yardage and red zone situations as we may start becoming predictable with TY, Ebron and Doyle as our staples in those situations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

His pressers are usually at least 8 to 11 minutes.

Not on Fridays.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Also seems the turf at Lucas oil is bad for the players. Colts continue to be the most injured team every year.

Please explain how the turf at LOS caused Campbell an ab injury, or how it caused Leonard to be concussed in Tennessee, or how it caused Hilton's quad to get hurt in Tennessee...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Not on Fridays.

Please explain how the turf at LOS caused Campbell an ab injury, or how it caused Leonard to be concussed in Tennessee, or how it caused Hilton's quad to get hurt in Tennessee...

Oh he usually has shorter ones on Friday? I hadn’t noticed that from previous weeks. I guess you have a point about the current injuries. 

9 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

We were 1-5 to start last year, we're already in a better place (record wise).  If we come back healthy and get hot after the bye, we'll be sitting in nice position to take the AFC South.

The entire AFC is kind of a mess right now -- you've got KC and NE at 4-0, Buffalo at 3-1 (if NE didn't knock Allen out of the game, I actually thought NE could've won that game, they've been very surprising so far).... then you've got 8 teams at 2-2 (including the entire AFC South), the Steelers at 1-3 and 4 teams at 0-4.

If things keep going like they are, chances are a 10-6 record will be good for a playoff spot (heck perhaps even a 9-7 or 8-8 with tie breakers will do the trick).  We could easily be 3-1 (Vinny's kicks) and possibly even 4-0 (we didn't show up vs. OAK).... I don't think there's any reason to panic about this team yet.

This is why you can’t just throw away games like we did. If we hadn’t did this we could easily afford to lose this game. Somebody will probably be 2 games up on us in the division by the time we play the Texans. 

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

KC is going to score 40 by halftime and Mahomes will be on the bench by the second half. We might not even have 53 players to dress. Season is going down the toilet fast. We need to sign another WR.

Colts should just forfeit the game. Lol

Yeah, just mail it in and not risk any more injuries like Jacoby breaking a leg or something.

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

KC is going to score 40 by halftime and Mahomes will be on the bench by the second half. We might not even have 53 players to dress. Season is going down the toilet fast. We need to sign another WR.

Colts should just forfeit the game. Lol

Colts should forfeit you from posting as much as you do. 

• Thanks 1

Apologies for the length of this post, but it will hopefully save space later on. No, I am not in the medical field, and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. But I feel I am pretty well informed on this subject and can help clear up some areas that seem confusing.

Common symptoms of a concussion can include:

headache

fogginess

difficulty concentrating

easily confused

slowed thought processes

difficulty with memory

nausea

lack of energy, tiredness

dizziness, poor balance

blurred vision

sensitivity to light and sounds

mood changes - irritable, anxious or tearful

appears dazed or stunned

confused about assignment

forgets plays

unsure of game, score or opponent

moves clumsily

answers questions slowly

loses consciousness (most concussions do not involve loss of consciousness)

shows behavior or personality changes

With a concussion, there is a step by step procedure for "return to play" from professional athletes all the way down to youth sports. Below is a typical youth sports/high school procedure. I'm sure the NFL is different, but probably not by much.

MEDICAL CLEARANCE RETURN TO PLAY (RTP) PROTOCOL

1. No exertional activity until asymptomatic

2. When the athlete is medically cleared, begin low impact activity, such as walking, stationary bike, etc.

3. Initiate aerobic activity fundamental to specific sport (such as running), and may also begin progressive strength training activities.

4. Begin non-contact skill drills specific to sport such as throwing, catching, coverage drills, etc

5. Full contact in practice setting.

6. If athlete remains asymptomatic, he or she may return to game/play.

You need to remain symptom free through each step, and typically each step is done on a separate day (again, this may not be the case in the NFL, I do not know). You can not skip any steps. If during any step, concussion symptoms return, you need to start the process over AFTER you become symptom free.

There is also baseline testing.  The short version of that is:

Baseline concussion testing is a pre-season exam that assesses an athlete's balance and brain function. This includes learning and memory skills, the ability to pay attention or concentrate, how quickly he or she thinks and solve problems, as well as for the presence of any concussion symptoms.

The test is given again when the athlete is suspected of having a concussion, and to help with a return to play decision. The new test results are compared to the pre season test results.

If Leonard was out there doing light work, then he was symptom free. At some point during his return to play procedure, one or more of his symptoms returned (most likely/best guess would be headaches). That means he has to wait until he is once again symptom free, and then start the process all over again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

We should be unbeaten but it didn't work out that way cause Vinny failed to kick worth a crap against the chargers then our whole team failed to show up last week.

2 hours ago, AlanNC said:

Any player with a medical issue should not play this week with the bye next week.  With what we have out and nicked up it will be a long shot at best to win Sunday night.  Get healthy and win the AFC South.  

Problem is if we lose which I believe we will and the rest of the division wins we will go into the bye last in the division.

17 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Problem is if we lose which I believe we will and the rest of the division wins we will go into the bye last in the division.

Which then could put us two Games back since we aren’t playing.  Sunday’s games will be interesting. Texans most likely win because they are playing the falcons at home. Jags and titans have tough games but titans are getting lewan back. Jags will be without Ramsey.

13 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Which then could put us two Games back since we aren’t playing.  Sunday’s games will be interesting. Texans most likely win because they are playing the falcons at home. Jags and titans have tough games but titans are getting lewan back. Jags will be without Ramsey.

Non of that matters. We just have to beat our divisional  foes each time and hope they all lose to kc to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm right there with ya. I've never seen a fanbase lie down in the fetal position when faced with the slightest bit of adversity like our fans are this week. No wonder people call us soft.

Ok, "we" aren't faced with adversity, the Colts are. We are merely bystanders rooting for them to win. I don't have blind faith, remember this equation, probability>possibility. I base my opinion on the probability we will lose based on worse talent, injuries, and other things. The possibility crowd (or blind faith crowd) bases things on possibility, where there's a chance, or "any given sunday". Would you realistically bet on the Colts straight up? Of course not.

The odds of winning this game are slim, and the fans being realistic about it isn't lying down or being soft, it's being honest. We have no control and in all likelyhood will watch the Colts get their butts whipped this Sunday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were down two safeties in arrowhead in the playoff game. If not for the offense laying a egg we might of been able to win. Let’s pray really herd the offense comes out on fire. With KC being more pass happy Leonard might of been less of a factor anyway.

If Reich wins the coin toss and defers I think I might scream.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We were down two safeties in arrowhead in the playoff game. If not for the offense laying a egg we might of been able to win. Let’s pray really herd the offense comes out on fire. With KC being more pass happy Leonard might of been less of a factor anyway.

If Reich wins the coin toss and defers I think I might 

Hope he does defer

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If Reich wins the coin toss and defers I think I might scream.

Leonard played really poorly that game if I remember right. Not worried about the offense if Hilton and Mack plays, they could put up 25-30. The defense will give up 40 points though in all likelihood and we will just get pulverized. 

Agree with the coin toss bit. If we defer, they will score first and we'll never catch up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Leonard played really poorly that game if I remember right. Not worried about the offense if Hilton and Mack plays, they could put up 25-30. The defense will give up 40 points though in all likelihood and we will just get pulverized. 

Agree with the coin toss bit. If we defer, they will score first and we'll never catch up.

Well we can hope the defense develops super hero powers. You never know I guess. Look what happened in that Tampa bay rams game. I agree though that probably won’t happen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Well we can hope the defense develops super hero powers. You never know I guess. Look what happened in that Tampa bay rams game. I agree though that probably won’t happen.

That was a fun game. Sat Godwin in fantasy because he was questionable and facing the Rams in LA and he destroys them lol. This will be a fun offensive game, but our defense will be offensive as well lol.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Sounds like Reich has a plan to be very aggressive this game. No matter the score that might be fun to see.

What does aggressive mean though? While we've been aggressive on stuff like 4th down, we've been pretty conservative from a pure play calling perspective. 

If we were at full health on both sides of the ball, then sure, I'd be happy to open up the playbook and go for broke. Doesn't make a lot of sense to open up the playbook and show our cards given the likely outcome of a game which we are playing injured, on the road, and against the top team in the AFC.

I'm not saying roll over, but I'm holding new stuff for after the bye week. And if we're down big at half without a realistic chance of coming back, then I hope they use this as practice and get some of the young guys some experience (while keeping the starters healthy). Give Cain, MAC, and Hale a lot of time. Give our starting guys in the trenches (on both sides) some rest.