Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Imgrandojji

Adam Vinatieri has become a nonissue

Recommended Posts

perfect vs ATL, nearly perfect last week, looks to me a lot like AV loves himself some home cooking.

 

Really great to see him rebound after that awful start to his season.  Hopefully he can keep the mojo going on the road.  God knows we're going to have to fight for every point against KC.

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some are so ready to discredit, yet so reluctant to support. Proof is that the negative thread on him reached many, many pages. This thread will not reach one. 

 

Well, unless of course, that a negative argument starts that he "is" after all...done. Then it will go pages again. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Some are so ready to discredit, yet so reluctant to support. Proof is that the negative thread on him reached many, many pages. This thread will not reach one. 

 

Well, unless of course, that a negative argument starts that he "is" after all...done. Then it will go pages again. 

 

The two teams that were in the Super Bowl are having kicker problems.

 

Pats put Gostkowski on IR and Zuerlein misses a game-winner for the Rams last night.

 

I wonder if their fan bases are calling for heads to roll like some in this forum were doing 2 weeks ago...  :thinking:

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pats fans were, until it became clear that Gostkowski was hurt.  Then the argument became a lot murkier

 

In order for that to happen to the Rams, they would need to have fans.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kicker problems in the league have been a huge issue this year. I don’t think AV problems are behind him yet. We will see how he does in a road game this weekend.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone notice the snaps have been a lil sub-par lately? Saw one or two again against the Raiders. It obviously threw off Vinny's timing but he stillmade the kick.  Im sure its harder to focus when(and if) u are thinking about previous misses, bad snaps, etc.  i noticed more "wilder" snaps this year for some odd reason.

  I wouldnt day his troubles are over.  He still looks a lil too mechanical-ish i think.  He doesnt look as natural at the moment.  Probably still working thru it on some level.  

  The key is that he seems to have found some muscle memory in that old leg.

 We'll know how he really feels when we need a 45 yarder at the end of a game to win.

  At the moment tho, vinny has moved down my "concern list."

He's still on it, just not near the top right now.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Anyone notice the snaps have been a lil sub-par lately? Saw one or two again against the Raiders. It obviously threw off Vinny's timing but he stillmade the kick.  Im sure its harder to focus when(and if) u are thinking about previous misses, bad snaps, etc.  i noticed more "wilder" snaps this year for some odd reason.

  I wouldnt day his troubles are over.  He still looks a lil too mechanical-ish i think.  He doesnt look as natural at the moment.  Probably still working thru it on some level.  

  The key is that he seems to have found some muscle memory in that old leg.

 We'll know how he really feels when we need a 45 yarder at the end of a game to win.

  At the moment tho, vinny has moved down my "concern list."

He's still on it, just not near the top right now.  

yep and he narrowly missed that 57 yarder.  That would have been awesome had he made it.  But I give him a pass on that one as anything over 45 yards is about 1/10 chance of making anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Anyone notice the snaps have been a lil sub-par lately?


I've noticed this since last season. Rhodes consistently puts it up higher/outside above Rigo's right shoulder. Makes for tough holds.

Also agreed that Vinny's troubles aren't necessarily 100% behind him. I think he'll continue to do well at home (and most domes) but wonder how he'll do outdoors. Luckily, we only have 3 games outside the rest of the season, I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will remain a non issue until he misses another extra point or an easy FG.  It comes with the territory when you are the oldest player/kicker in the league.  Hopefully he can get through this year and retire with a good final season under his belt.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not that worried anymore.  Kicking is mental.  There has been nobody more mentally strong or clutch as Adam. Once he battled through and overcame this issue, he should be back in the right mindset.  Long ago he gave up kickoff duties to extend his career (no more Driver in the bag). Physically he is still making long kicks with the 3 wood and the other irons in his bag. He can't do it forever, but I think he will have a clue when the time is near/up and let Ballard know.

 

BTW, of all the clutch kicks he made, he said this one (tuck rule/snowstorm) was the most challenging; physically and mentally.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'm more worried about Rigo then I am Vinny atm. It's felt like far too many sub-par punts so far this season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is making his kicks and Kudos to him. Still hope this is his last season. Can't say I'd be confident in him with the game on the line for 40+, especially outside

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

 

 and Zuerlein misses a game-winner for the Rams last night.

 

 

 

Zuerlein is 14/14 in xtra points, and 6/6 within 40 yards..... He is 3/3 50+

 

Last night he made 3 field goals and 2 xtra points.

 

Everyone misses a kick here and there.

 

Vinatieri missed many easy kicks. I personally think it's still the beginning of the end for him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think AV us in the clear at all.   I think he’s a long way from getting rid of his baggage.    

 

Doesn’t mean he won’t.  But he still has work to do IMO.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

 

The two teams that were in the Super Bowl are having kicker problems.

 

Pats put Gostkowski on IR and Zuerlein misses a game-winner for the Rams last night.

 

I wonder if their fan bases are calling for heads to roll like some in this forum were doing 2 weeks ago...  :thinking:

Yeah the kick the Rams kicker missed last night could cost them the division title considering the opponent. The half glass empty people in here would have a 5 page thread in here why Vinny should get cut or just retire had he missed that easy kick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah the kick the Rams kicker missed last night could cost them the division title considering the opponent. The half glass empty people in here would have a 5 page thread in here why Vinny should get cut or just retire had he missed that easy kick.

 

Well thats false but continue

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

 

Well thats false but continue

It's actually true. If Vinny misses a 40 yard FG kick to win the game vs the Texans, this forum will blow a gasket lmao .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah the kick the Rams kicker missed last night could cost them the division title considering the opponent. The half glass empty people in here would have a 5 page thread in here why Vinny should get cut or just retire had he missed that easy kick.

 

To be fair, if the Colts miss the playoffs by 1 game why wouldnt Vinny's SD game be sited as a reason?

 

Also, if 3 weeks of bad kicks isnt a trend then 3 weeks of good kicks isnt either. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's actually true. If Vinny misses a 40 yard FG kick to win the game vs the Texans, this forum will blow a gasket lmao .

 

If Vinny was as automatic as Greg I'm sure he wouldn't get ragged on too bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

 

If Vinny was as automatic as Greg I'm sure he wouldn't get ragged on too bad

when AV was Greg's age he was just as automatic and he was just as automatic like w years ago so lets not act like greg is better than AV one is good the other is by far the greatest of all time 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

when AV was Greg's age he was just as automatic and he was just as automatic like w years ago so lets not act like greg is better than AV one is good the other is by far the greatest of all time 

 Not disputing that at all. I am speaking to right now, not back then. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

It will remain a non issue until he misses another extra point or an easy FG.  It comes with the territory when you are the oldest player/kicker in the league.  Hopefully he can get through this year and retire with a good final season under his belt.  

 

Vinny's the most clutch K of all time.  I hope he doesn't miss anymore gimme's, just because the fans and media will troll him for days... but if there was any kicker to have on the field for a kick under 45 yards to win a game, I'd stack my chips on Vinny.

 

2 hours ago, egg said:

 

Zuerlein is 14/14 in xtra points, and 6/6 within 40 yards..... He is 3/3 50+

 

Last night he made 3 field goals and 2 xtra points.

 

Everyone misses a kick here and there.

 

Vinatieri missed many easy kicks. I personally think it's still the beginning of the end for him.

 

The thing which hasn't worried me about Vinny's misses is that they haven't been short.  If it was his age as the factor as to why he's missing kicks, I'd suspect it was because his strength was declining/he was getting weaker with age (look at Peyton, when he retired his balls simply had little to no 'zip' left on them, it was clear his arm strength was far from what it used to be). 

 

One of his week 1 misses (I think it was from 46 yards) had the leg to be good from 55+, he just hit it a little wide.  Last week, his 57 yarder had the leg behind it, just a little off.  To me, this suggests he's not done, as he's still got plenty of 'oomph' and power behind his kicks.  He has some minor mechanical issues to work out (and IMO, some issues to work out with the snapper and holder, there have been a few missed kicks this year where I think the snapping timing was slightly off and the hold was less than perfect). 

 

Vinny has long established himself as one of the hardest working players and one of the most consistent players in the NFL.  I imagine he would walk away if he truly thought he didn't have it anymore, but I think we'll see him continue to work hard and play a critical role for this team as the season continues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, csmopar said:

[clip]... as anything over 45 yards is about 1/10 chance of making anyway

 

Are we talking high school kickers?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ColtsLegacy said:

 

Are we talking high school kickers?

Terrible high school kickers. Pro's make approx 80% from 45 yards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2019 at 5:39 PM, 1959Colts said:

whats the weather forecast look for Kansas City? 

48 with light winds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From someone who wanted to keep Badgely last year, and has doubted AV this year, I humbly bump this thread with a kudos to the GOAT. He was solid as a rock tonight, and may he split the uprights all the way through the Super Bowl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You knew he was thinking 'who's done?' when he kicked into that sea of red for the game winner.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s rebounded well.  I still think most fans feel a little nervous when he kicks but you couldn’t really ask for more in terms of him rebounding the last few weeks.  Hopefully he keeps it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he had another perfect night.  On the road too, which is significant because that's where he had the worst of his struggles.

 

We haven't had a gentle schedule.  i think it gets easier from here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...