Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Vinatieri has become a nonissue

Imgrandojji

perfect vs ATL, nearly perfect last week, looks to me a lot like AV loves himself some home cooking.

Really great to see him rebound after that awful start to his season.  Hopefully he can keep the mojo going on the road.  God knows we're going to have to fight for every point against KC.

• Like 5

Some are so ready to discredit, yet so reluctant to support. Proof is that the negative thread on him reached many, many pages. This thread will not reach one. 

Well, unless of course, that a negative argument starts that he "is" after all...done. Then it will go pages again. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Some are so ready to discredit, yet so reluctant to support. Proof is that the negative thread on him reached many, many pages. This thread will not reach one. 

Well, unless of course, that a negative argument starts that he "is" after all...done. Then it will go pages again. 

The two teams that were in the Super Bowl are having kicker problems.

Pats put Gostkowski on IR and Zuerlein misses a game-winner for the Rams last night.

I wonder if their fan bases are calling for heads to roll like some in this forum were doing 2 weeks ago...  :thinking:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anyone notice the snaps have been a lil sub-par lately? Saw one or two again against the Raiders. It obviously threw off Vinny's timing but he stillmade the kick.  Im sure its harder to focus when(and if) u are thinking about previous misses, bad snaps, etc.  i noticed more "wilder" snaps this year for some odd reason.

I wouldnt day his troubles are over.  He still looks a lil too mechanical-ish i think.  He doesnt look as natural at the moment.  Probably still working thru it on some level.  

The key is that he seems to have found some muscle memory in that old leg.

We'll know how he really feels when we need a 45 yarder at the end of a game to win.

At the moment tho, vinny has moved down my "concern list."

He's still on it, just not near the top right now.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Anyone notice the snaps have been a lil sub-par lately? Saw one or two again against the Raiders. It obviously threw off Vinny's timing but he stillmade the kick.  Im sure its harder to focus when(and if) u are thinking about previous misses, bad snaps, etc.  i noticed more "wilder" snaps this year for some odd reason.

I wouldnt day his troubles are over.  He still looks a lil too mechanical-ish i think.  He doesnt look as natural at the moment.  Probably still working thru it on some level.  

The key is that he seems to have found some muscle memory in that old leg.

We'll know how he really feels when we need a 45 yarder at the end of a game to win.

At the moment tho, vinny has moved down my "concern list."

He's still on it, just not near the top right now.  

yep and he narrowly missed that 57 yarder.  That would have been awesome had he made it.  But I give him a pass on that one as anything over 45 yards is about 1/10 chance of making anyway

24 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Anyone notice the snaps have been a lil sub-par lately?

I've noticed this since last season. Rhodes consistently puts it up higher/outside above Rigo's right shoulder. Makes for tough holds.

Also agreed that Vinny's troubles aren't necessarily 100% behind him. I think he'll continue to do well at home (and most domes) but wonder how he'll do outdoors. Luckily, we only have 3 games outside the rest of the season, I think.

I'm not that worried anymore.  Kicking is mental.  There has been nobody more mentally strong or clutch as Adam. Once he battled through and overcame this issue, he should be back in the right mindset.  Long ago he gave up kickoff duties to extend his career (no more Driver in the bag). Physically he is still making long kicks with the 3 wood and the other irons in his bag. He can't do it forever, but I think he will have a clue when the time is near/up and let Ballard know.

BTW, of all the clutch kicks he made, he said this one (tuck rule/snowstorm) was the most challenging; physically and mentally.

2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

and Zuerlein misses a game-winner for the Rams last night.

Zuerlein is 14/14 in xtra points, and 6/6 within 40 yards..... He is 3/3 50+

Last night he made 3 field goals and 2 xtra points.

Everyone misses a kick here and there.

Vinatieri missed many easy kicks. I personally think it's still the beginning of the end for him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

The two teams that were in the Super Bowl are having kicker problems.

Pats put Gostkowski on IR and Zuerlein misses a game-winner for the Rams last night.

I wonder if their fan bases are calling for heads to roll like some in this forum were doing 2 weeks ago...  :thinking:

Yeah the kick the Rams kicker missed last night could cost them the division title considering the opponent. The half glass empty people in here would have a 5 page thread in here why Vinny should get cut or just retire had he missed that easy kick.

30 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah the kick the Rams kicker missed last night could cost them the division title considering the opponent. The half glass empty people in here would have a 5 page thread in here why Vinny should get cut or just retire had he missed that easy kick.

Well thats false but continue

38 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To be fair, if the Colts miss the playoffs by 1 game why wouldnt Vinny's SD game be sited as a reason?

Also, if 3 weeks of bad kicks isnt a trend then 3 weeks of good kicks isnt either. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

If Vinny was as automatic as Greg I'm sure he wouldn't get ragged on too bad

when AV was Greg's age he was just as automatic and he was just as automatic like w years ago so lets not act like greg is better than AV one is good the other is by far the greatest of all time 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

when AV was Greg's age he was just as automatic and he was just as automatic like w years ago so lets not act like greg is better than AV one is good the other is by far the greatest of all time 

Not disputing that at all. I am speaking to right now, not back then. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

It will remain a non issue until he misses another extra point or an easy FG.  It comes with the territory when you are the oldest player/kicker in the league.  Hopefully he can get through this year and retire with a good final season under his belt.  

Vinny's the most clutch K of all time.  I hope he doesn't miss anymore gimme's, just because the fans and media will troll him for days... but if there was any kicker to have on the field for a kick under 45 yards to win a game, I'd stack my chips on Vinny.

2 hours ago, egg said:

Zuerlein is 14/14 in xtra points, and 6/6 within 40 yards..... He is 3/3 50+

Last night he made 3 field goals and 2 xtra points.

Everyone misses a kick here and there.

Vinatieri missed many easy kicks. I personally think it's still the beginning of the end for him.

The thing which hasn't worried me about Vinny's misses is that they haven't been short.  If it was his age as the factor as to why he's missing kicks, I'd suspect it was because his strength was declining/he was getting weaker with age (look at Peyton, when he retired his balls simply had little to no 'zip' left on them, it was clear his arm strength was far from what it used to be). 

One of his week 1 misses (I think it was from 46 yards) had the leg to be good from 55+, he just hit it a little wide.  Last week, his 57 yarder had the leg behind it, just a little off.  To me, this suggests he's not done, as he's still got plenty of 'oomph' and power behind his kicks.  He has some minor mechanical issues to work out (and IMO, some issues to work out with the snapper and holder, there have been a few missed kicks this year where I think the snapping timing was slightly off and the hold was less than perfect). 

Vinny has long established himself as one of the hardest working players and one of the most consistent players in the NFL.  I imagine he would walk away if he truly thought he didn't have it anymore, but I think we'll see him continue to work hard and play a critical role for this team as the season continues.