Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Elite Coach, Elite QB and/or Elite D

TrueBlue4ever

2 hours ago, Superman said:

2005 was weird, they were banged up in 2007, 2008 the AFC was wide open... Could have been a really strong run, to be honest.

2004-2009 was the window of opportinuty for the Colts. They were good enough to be in the SB every one of those years. Oh how i wish. 

5 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Love your post it is worth noting the Colts defense in the 2006 SB run during the playoffs were playing well above average and did great. Which just proves your point even more. Defense wins championships. 

We had one of the worst rushing defenses in NFL history that year (we averaged 5.3 yards per carry against us, I believe).... thing is, our D was built to compliment our O -- we had a team which had a formula to be able to beat NE (i.e., Peyton puts points on the board, makes NE and other opponents shy away from their rushing game, and let Freeney and Mathis pin their ears back and 'kill the qb' of the opposing team).  

Our D was only good when we could force the other team to become one-dimensional.  If other teams could execute a run game on us, we were mostly screwed... and that specific D w/ Sanders healthy did have a knack for coming up with some pretty big time plays at critical times.  It is the worst all-around D to win the Super Bowl in the past 20 years though, in my opinion.  Dungy did have a nice 'bend don't break' philosophy with them though and they did come up  big when it mattered.

14 hours ago, Superman said:

Truth is, it takes a good balance of the three. Without drawing a hard line on "elite," we have to go back a long way to find a SB team that didn't feature good QBing in the playoffs, good defense in the playoffs, and good coaching. The last 'meh' QB to win a SB is Flacco, but he was outstanding in the playoffs.  

Flacco played inspired football. Good enough to earn a contract that was ridiculous looking back on it.

2 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

We had one of the worst rushing defenses in NFL history that year (we averaged 5.3 yards per carry against us, I believe).... thing is, our D was built to compliment our O -- we had a team which had a formula to be able to beat NE (i.e., Peyton puts points on the board, makes NE and other opponents shy away from their rushing game, and let Freeney and Mathis pin their ears back and 'kill the qb' of the opposing team).  

Our D was only good when we could force the other team to become one-dimensional.  If other teams could execute a run game on us, we were mostly screwed... and that specific D w/ Sanders healthy did have a knack for coming up with some pretty big time plays at critical times.  It is the worst all-around D to win the Super Bowl in the past 20 years though, in my opinion.  Dungy did have a nice 'bend don't break' philosophy with them though and they did come up  big when it mattered.

I know that about the regular season. But in the playoffs the defense played championship football. Which was my main point. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Superman said:

Because he doesn't want to play against BB. That's partly tongue-in-cheek. Only partly, though.

The real reason is that he came of age as a part of an organization that was well run and winning SBs. He knew that if he stayed, he'd always be in the mix for rings. And the couple times that they had somewhat protracted contract negotiations, he did get paid well (2005, he was made a top five paid QB; 2010, he was made the highest paid QB). Over time, he's really shown that he values being part of a great organization more than getting more money. 

It would be a different story if the Patriots didn't know what they were doing around him. People compare Brady's contracts with other QBs, but other QBs haven't been supported by BB. Brady's decision making process is influenced by playing for the greatest coach of all time.

I should have phrased that question from Kraft/BBs' perspective instead of Bradys' perspective.  Why hasn't Kraft/BB repeatedly made Brady the highest paid QB ever?

But you hit the nail on the head with the bolded.  We've seen how giddy Irsay gets to make his QB the highest paid in the history of the league, while BB is more frugal with his QB so that he has more money to make his defense borderline-elite every year.

He pays top-tier defenders at every level of his defense like Wilfork, Revis, Gilmore, Hightower, etc.  I can't remember the Pats ever being in a situation like the Colts where they had more cap-room than the rest of the league.  BB always seems to spend as much as he can on defense, while still having enough left over to pay his QB and STILL go out and sign guys like Randy Moss, Josh Gordon, AB...  it's frustrating seeing how well run that organization is...  :wall:

• Thanks 1

New here and just wanted to get everyone's opinion on the second part of the OP's question which was how long until the team becomes elite again.  I think as fans we at least give Ballard this season, doesn't matter if they lose every game left on the season which they won't.  If your franchise quarterback drops out two weeks before the season starts you probably aren't going to do well which is why I haven't been following them this year.  But how many future seasons do we give the organization?  Is there a maximum amount of time or does it really depend on the season, does your opinion change if the Colts finish 10-6 or 6-10?

I've been very lucky to be a Colts fan only through the last twenty years and having Manning then Luck I always felt the Colts were contenders except for a couple seasons when they were injured. I don't feel this way about this team and I don't even know how the team gets back there.  I was just curious how many years you give the organization so I can set my own expectations. I'm mainly asking because I guess I'm what you'd consider a fair weather fan.  The only team I really care about in the league is the Colts and so I haven't even seen an NFL game this year.  I enjoy following the Colts and the NFL when I think they are elite, I loved seeing Manning and then Luck and it didn't even matter if they won the super bowl or not just that they were fun to see and that I felt the team had a chance.  Anyway, I hope the rest of the season goes well.

On 10/3/2019 at 10:37 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Watching the Seattle and rams game tonight. Even though there are some points scored our defense looks like a high school team compared to theirs. I think I am on defense to. It makes me mad seeing guys like clowney and Ansah in Seattle. We need help in FA. Not sure picking all these second round picks is going to give us many studs.

Clowney is a finished product.  None of our youngsters on D are finished yet.  Our whole unit is learning and growing, and yes, there's going to have to be some people go and get replaced along the way, but that's how an NFL rebuild works.

I'm gonna just say this too -- we are lucky to have Jacoby Brissett.  In a lot of other situations losing your starting QB would be an abject disaster, a one way ticket to a completely lost season.  Look at the turmoil in Pittsburgh.  We got fortunate to have a consummate professional behind Luck that could take over so smoothly and proficiently.  That's just not what normally happens.

• Like 2