Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rick Venturi - JMV

coltsfeva

First, let me say, Rick Venturi seems very knowledgeable. He’s obviously been around and offers insight. So, I respect his opinion.

It’s just hard to take all of the “I told you so” kinda self-promotion he does, but I guess he’s just promoting his “brand”. The other thing that comes into play is his age and when a man (or woman) gets older, it’s natural to want to feel significant. 

There’s a proverb that says; “ Let another man praise you and not your own lips”. I just wish he would tone the self-adulation down a notch.

That being said, this was an interesting broadcast regarding the loss Sunday and insight into the upcoming game with the Chiefs.

https://www.1075thefan.com/blogs/ride-jmv/rick-venturi-discusses-how-colts-can-beat-chiefs

I find Venturi an interesting listen. I know the game pretty well, but I always learn from his insights, whether it be X's and O's or just how coaches think. I don't care about the "I told you so" stuff. He's certainly better and a nice change from the dribble spewed by some of the other guests on the Fan. I get nothing from Holder or Wells (although host exchanges with Wells can be entertaining), and while Chappell seems like a good guy, I find him impossible to listen to. Bowen has grown on me over the past few months. Seems like a good, hard working guy.

1 hour ago, coltsva said:

I find Venturi an interesting listen.

Chappell seems like a good guy, I find him impossible to listen to.

Venturi is OK so long as JMV's there to wrangle him in from time to time, Chappell is a solid writer, but you're on the money in saying that he's brutal to listen to. Having said that, a Chappell/Venturi 1-on-1 conversation would be a nightmare.

I like listening to Venturi because he generally supports his opinions well.  Whether an opinion is eventually revealed as either right or wrong is immaterial given that they seemed well-reasoned before they are delivered, unlike other folks on radio or media.

I think the "I told you so" part of it simply reflects that his opinions are based upon his understanding of football that was developed over many years, and that he gets satisfaction when his opinions get upheld by events that happen later.  A person with less time and experience would have no real basis for having that attitude, but would instead be in more of a learning mode.

IMO, it doesn't matter what defensive "scheme" they come up with, the Colts won't be able to stop them....and that sucks to type. 

I agree with Venturi. I think the key is running the ball (Chiefs aren't good at defending the run) and playing keep away from the offense by dominating the clock. Don't try and get cute and try to run outside. Find #56 and run behind him and Castanzo. Switch it to the right side every so often to keep them guessing. Use 3 TE sets a bunch and go from blocking to catching.

Get Jacoby into a rhythm with quick passes, and don't let him hold onto the ball so long or stare down receivers. Take the dump offs if you have to.  

This team isn't built to try and win a shootout, so come out strong, fast and efficient. 

• Like 1

Venturi will always tell you about how much he was right about the defensive scheme, but he won't tell you about the DBs he was heaping massive praise on preseason, getting torched for the first 4 weeks of play by pretty much every QB we've played. 

With that said ... Venturi is probably one of the better listens if you want to hear something specific about the team's tactical performance, rather than the extremely general drivel most analyst with no football background spew on local radio (the defense did well, but we couldn't stop the run... Jacoby was awesome, he completed 70% of his passes, etc.)... 

The thing I try to listen to is Greg Cosell's weekly appearance on Tennessee radio (Midday 180 I think is what it's called). Because Tennessee are in our division they would sometime ask him about the Colts and what he sees. I think he's the very best you can find out there that can talk to you about football and you would immediately know that he knows what he's talking about AND that he actually has watched and analysed whatever he talks about. 

Andy Benoit is another one that IMO does the dirty work and actually sits down and watches what teams do. He does have some out there opinions that you won't always agree with, but at least you know he's going to give you a well informed perspective(again, you don't have to agree with it). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

BTW did you guys see the exchange between Watson and the reporter asking him a question this weekend? I LOVED that stuff. I wish analysts would have even the fraction of knowledge and ability to explain what's happening on the field that Watson showed in that exchange.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I don't think we are going to win but I think the formula should be ground game, short passes and play action. And just overall on both sides of the football we need to play hungrier than them and execute.  In the Oakland game you could tell Oakland wanted it more than us by the energy level they were displaying.  We need to show that same energy on Sunday night. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

BTW did you guys see the exchange between Watson and the reporter asking him a question this weekend? I LOVED that stuff. I wish analysts would have even the fraction of knowledge and ability to explain what's happening on the field that Watson showed in that exchange. 

I did hear that and I agree, Watson's breakdown of the coverages and what his reads were was great to listen to.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, stitches said:

Thanks for the clip Stitches. I have to admit, I do like D. Watson. 

53 minutes ago, stitches said:

that was a good explanation, but i dont really see a problem with what the reporter asked him there.  Watson seemed annoyed by the question but then gave it an honest answer 

i dont think you can expect people that dont play to know the exact language that nfl offenses and defenses use, but they can still have a pretty good idea of whats going on  

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

that was a good explanation, but i dont really see a problem with what the reporter asked him there.  Watson seemed annoyed by the question but then gave it an honest answer 

i dont think you can expect people that dont play to know the exact language that nfl offenses and defenses use, but they can still have a pretty good idea of whats going on  

I don't think he was annoyed... he seemed more like... a bit confused(ok... maybe a bit annoyed too) and then asked the reporter if he knew what coverage they were playing. You can see that immediately he recognized this could be taken the wrong way and he made sure to clarify he didn't mean it in demeaning way, but rather just as an indication about where to start his answer and how deep he should go into it. 

I don't see a problem with the question from the reporter and I don't see a problem in the answer from Watson, I thought they both did their job in a very professional manner in this situation and the ultimate winner was the fans getting a good and understandable explanation about what was going on the field and why they attacked that coverage the way they attacked it. 

• Like 1

I agree. Watson appeared to be close to making it an uncomfortable moment, but he did a great job of staying composed and turning it into an educational moment for everyone.

Thank goodness he didn't just say "we're on to Atlanta."