Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

IT'S OKAY GUYS

twfish

17 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

I understand the statement and for the most part agree. At least offensively. Defensively, I just don’t see Leonard coming back and fixing the pass rush. Hooker was on the field when Mahomes was exploiting this defense at will last year. Also while Rivers was this year. We were better up front in the middle last year and CB chose to let a huge contributor walk in favor of nothing at this point. I understand not spending all your cap and keeping most of your picks but this defense could have seriously been upgraded this spring/summer. CB chose to stick to his guns and right now that defense is paying for it. I for one, would be surprised if this defense doesn’t look this way all season 

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." CB may make a mistake from time to time. He seems pretty sharp, so he'll probably try to correct those mistakes.

4 hours ago, twfish said:

Luck would have gotten a TD instead therefore a score of 31-30 against the chargers.

That is what happened in your imagination. 

But Brissett actually did what you fantasize about with Luck.

But your bias against Brisstt won't allow you to acknowledge what he actually did.

Brisset threw a perfect pass to Ebron in the end zone that Ebron dropped. 

That was the real pass thrown by the real QB in that real game that really would have won the game for the Colts.

And guess what?  It wasn't thrown too hard! I know that because Ebron caught it. He just did not keep control after he caught it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, twfish said:

Well seeing how Luck was second only to Mahomes In red zone touchdowns

Jacoby Brissett leads the NFL with 10 red zone TD passes.

You tell us to be "patient".

My patience has run out with the kind of "analysis"  I get from posts like this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Debonair said:

I understand the statement and for the most part agree. At least offensively. Defensively, I just don’t see Leonard coming back and fixing the pass rush. Hooker was on the field when Mahomes was exploiting this defense at will last year. Also while Rivers was this year. We were better up front in the middle last year and CB chose to let a huge contributor walk in favor of nothing at this point. I understand not spending all your cap and keeping most of your picks but this defense could have seriously been upgraded this spring/summer. CB chose to stick to his guns and right now that defense is paying for it. I for one, would be surprised if this defense doesn’t look this way all season 

Hooker did not play against KC.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Bob sanders returned from injury that is what made the defense great in 2006 going into the playoffs.

MPStack mentioned Rob Morris in an earlier post. I wholeheartedly agree with him. In fact, I've always said that replacing Gardner with Morris carried as big an impact as Bob coming back late in that season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

20 years of manning and luck and we have one SB. 

Luck went to the playoffs every year except one (actually 2, but the 2nd was when he sat out a year due to injury). Luck went to the playoffs every healthy year. And for the most part, had much less complete teams, and worse Ds.

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Luck went to the playoffs every year except one (actually 2, but the 2nd was when he sat out a year due to injury). Luck went to the playoffs every healthy year. And for the most part, had much less complete teams, and worse Ds.

Again how many SB. I am more worried about building around JB and see what we have. If he isn’t the guy we move on. At that point we will have a good all around team for a rookie we might draft.

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Again how many SB. I am more worried about building around JB and see what we have. If he isn’t the guy we move on. At that point we will have a good all around team for a rookie we might draft.

Winning the SB is the #1 goal but it isn't just about that. When Peyton was healthy we were an automatic 12 win team, with Luck healthy usually 11 wins. With JB I hope he gets to that level. He isn't there yet but I do think he is above average unlike some who think he is mediocre or bad. Anyone that thinks JB hasn't played at least above average football needs Bi-focals lmao .

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

My point is that we had two playoff caliber QBs, and crap teams in terms of overall talent and depth (for the most part). Now we have a decently well rounded team when all are healthy. Not perfect, but overall quality is good and depth is better than it has been.

I'm fine with rolling with JB for a while. I'm not fine with rolling with him at the point we are out of the playoff hunt.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

My point is that we had two playoff caliber QBs, and crap teams in terms of overall talent and depth (for the most part). Now we have a decently well rounded team when all are healthy. Not perfect, but overall quality is good and depth is better than it has been.

I'm fine with rolling with JB for a while. I'm not fine with rolling with him at the point we are out of the playoff hunt.

We have to see where we stand after 10 games. If we are 5-5 after 10, then we still can make the playoffs. If we are 3-7 then it is over IMO. It is too early to tell.

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I dont think we are as well rounded as you think. No one is saying to stick with him if your missing the playoffs every year. He will probably get one more year after this year unless he turns out to be disaster. I could see us waiting until his two years is up before we think about that position. But you never know they might think there is another Mahomes out there.

Also overall nobody wants to settle for being average as in 8-8 and missing the playoffs. I sure don't! We have Jacoby for now and the jury is still out as of now. If it is just about winning the SB for some, then that group will be disappointed 9 out of 10 times. Winning a SB is rare unless you have been the Pats over the last 20 seasons. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We have to see where we stand after 10 games. If we are 5-5 after 10, then we still can make the playoffs. If we are 3-7 then it is over IMO. It is too early to tell.

3 games under 500, at whatever point in the season is a trigger for me.

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I dont think we are as well rounded as you think. No one is saying to stick with him if your missing the playoffs every year. He will probably get one more year after this year unless he turns out to be disaster. I could see us waiting until his two years is up before we think about that position. But you never know they might think there is another Mahomes out there.

We are more well rounded than last year. And we're more well rounded than most years.

I think you're flipping out on a defense that missing it's two best players. Even with missing those guys, they did not allow a TD after the first 4 drives. We were 7 down, with the ball, and threw an P6.

Our D is ranked 16th (yards allowed per game), and our O is ranked 19th (yards per game).

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

They are not benching JB for Kelly no matter the record this season. Now if we had a rookie we just drafted that might be a different story.

It is amazing some think Chad Kelly would be better than JB. I just do not see it. The way some on here post they think Kelly is the next Andrew Luck lmao . JB is better.

• Like 1

What we know:

Under Reich, with AL leading the team, we were 1-3 after 4 games, 3-5 after 8 games, 6-6 after 12 games, and 10-6 after 16 games.

Under Reich, with JB leading the team, we are 2-2 after 4 games. The rest is to be determined.

• Like 1

After the KC game we have several winnable games. Even if we lose at KC and go 2-3, we can still be 5-5 at worse through 10 games. Look at our schedule. Health is the issue, we need TY and Leonard in the lineup every week. We are a team that can't afford to lose 2 or 3 key players and win like the Pats or KC can for example.

17 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Even with missing those guys, they did not allow a TD after the first 4 drives.

While the above is true, the 16 play, 9+ minute drive in the 3rd quarter was a back breaker, where the Colts D could not get off the field. This after a halftime of rest and adjustments. That's just awful.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Hooker didn't  play in the cheifs game last year.

13 minutes ago, coltsva said:

What we know:

Under Reich, with AL leading the team, we were 1-3 after 4 games, 3-5 after 8 games, 6-6 after 12 games, and 10-6 after 16 games.

Under Reich, with JB leading the team, we are 2-2 after 4 games. The rest is to be determined.

3 of the 5 early losses were to playoff teams, including the last 2 SB winners. The losses to Cinci and NYJ were clearly unacceptable, but at the same time, we were playing musical chairs with the OL, and our RB1 was out most of that time. Right now, we're whining about not having TY. We're in much better shape (OL, WR, and TE) this year, even without TY.

25 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

They are not benching JB for Kelly no matter the record this season. Now if we had a rookie we just drafted that might be a different story.

I want JB to get his chance. But..... If the playoffs are out of reach, or if we are 3-4 games below 500, are you just going to roll with JB if he isn't getting the job done? Are you going to go to Hoyer (what would be the point in that if the playoffs are out of reach)? Why even keep CK around if you're afraid to see what you have. If late in the season things are out of reach, that's the perfect time to test things.

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As of now that is probably a good number. I don't think we will ever fall 2 games below .500. JB is good enough where he will not let it happen and Reich is a good coach to not let it happen, JMO.

It wouldn't shock anyone if we lose the next two. And looking at our schedule, late Nov and early Dec could be rough. Being 3 under during that stretch would not shock me in the least.

48 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Also overall nobody wants to settle for being average as in 8-8 and missing the playoffs. I sure don't! We have Jacoby for now and the jury is still out as of now. If it is just about winning the SB for some, then that group will be disappointed 9 out of 10 times. Winning a SB is rare unless you have been the Pats over the last 20 seasons. 

I think we get more explosive  plays as the year goes on and when we do we will be a force.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

3 of the 5 early losses were to playoff teams, including the last 2 SB winners. The losses to Cinci and NYJ were clearly unacceptable, but at the same time, we were playing musical chairs with the OL, and our RB1 was out most of that time. Right now, we're whining about not having TY. We're in much better shape (OL, WR, and TE) this year, even without TY.

I want JB to get his chance. But..... If the playoffs are out of reach, or if we are 3-4 games below 500, are you just going to roll with JB if he isn't getting the job done? Are you going to go to Hoyer (what would be the point in that if the playoffs are out of reach)? Why even keep CK around if you're afraid to see what you have. If late in the season things are out of reach, that's the perfect time to test things.

It wouldn't shock anyone if we lose the next two. And looking at our schedule, late Nov and early Dec could be rough. Being 3 under during that stretch would not shock me in the least.

I think we can take the texans. Especially  if hilton is healthy. The teams I see us having trouble  with are the chiefs, jags, saints. Dolphins, broncos, are beatable. Panthers are beatable . Bucs will be tough.

6 hours ago, Stephen said:

I think we get more explosive  plays as the year goes on and when we do we will be a force.

There is a trajectory to performance that may improve over time (it may get worse, too). Belichick has learned to accelerate that trajectory better and faster than many other coaches. Given our number of rookies and other disruptive factors, I think the fan's doubt is in the shape of that trajectory, given early indications. While that makes sense, it doesn't make it valid (a true state of our future reality). 

We'll be 2-3 going into the bye week with games against:

Texans

Broncos

@Steelers

Dolphins 

Jags

4 of 5 at home.  I think we will be 5-5 after that.  Still in the playoff hunt.   I think we will be starting Brissett the rest of the games unless we are mathematically eliminated.  That may not be till week 17 the way the AFC is shaping up.  

Brissett has been better than I thought he would be.   I hope Reich opens things up a bit.  

I think we may be in a tough few years.   Brissett may be fine with a solid team around him.  We may draft a QB which is long odds whether he pans out or not.  

16 hours ago, twfish said:

And yes this is a yelling matter. It is amazing me some of the post and threads on this forum after a loss to the raiders. Its like most of you are completely pushing to the side how much of an impact our 3 star players have on this team. Darius leonard was the DROY of the year and you replacing him with a rookie who is just now really getting playing time, yea you are going to see a massive drop off at line backer. We really do not have another true FS on this team so yea we are really going to miss Hooker and you're going to see more yards thrown on us with essentially 2 SS on the field. On top of that there is a 4th round rookie taking the place of him.

We also have another rookie playing CB, one of the hardest positions to learn and hes doing a good job but will continue to get picked on. So we have 3 rookies out there starting and 5 that are getting alot of playing time, if you factor in the fact the rest of the rotation pieces where only in their second years with limited snaps we have an incredibly young defense that are still trying to gel together. I dont understand why people think these rookies are just going to immediately be all pros.

As far as the offense goes our best receiver not being there of course is going to affect us. We essentially started 2 rookies and a 3rd year UDFA and a QB who throws the ball as hard as he possibly can. Thats a bad combination for drops. I've been very critical privately with Brissett and have lots to say on the matter but I will continue to hold that to myself, but some of you pretend that there is no drop off from Luck to Brissett.

IMHO with Luck we are undefeated. We have yet to be completely out of a game and have only lost by the largest margin of 7 points. We are not getting blown out people this is still a very good roster. IMHO we are a good qb and a good DT away from a super bowl. The head calling for Ballard is asinine. Hes built up likely the most talented roster we have seen in nearly a decade, losing our best player at the most crucial position of the game is going to set us back a year or two.

Be patient colts family.

We will have passing yards thrown against us because good NFL offenses with good NFL QBs pick apart the short and medium zones.  Having a deep ball FS is irrelevant to stopping that. 

In fact, we'd be better off playing with 2 SSs, just as long as the SSs were more talented than 4th round picks to begin with. aka Geathers and Willis. (but we'll see about Willis as he develops)

And the lack of a pass rusher and reliable 2nd WR option has been a deficiency with the roster since both Robert Mathis and Reggie Wayne became ineffective, or IOW, about the past 5 or 6 seasons spanning two different GMs.

While the comments and threads appear to be an overreaction to the Raiders loss, the embedded points within them have some validity.

16 hours ago, twfish said:

some of you pretend that there is no drop off from Luck to Brissett.

I don't think I've seen anyone state that at all.   There will almost always be a drop off when you lose a top 5 QB.   I think it would be more accurate to say - Some of you expect there to be no drop off from Luck to Brissett.  

The Raiders loss is frustrating because a good team should not lose to the Raiders at home.  Even though we were short-handed, the rest of the team did not play well.  

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

We will have passing yards thrown against us because good NFL offenses with good NFL QBs pick apart the short and medium zones.  Having a deep ball FS is irrelevant to stopping that. 

In fact, we'd be better off playing with 2 SSs, just as long as the SSs were more talented than 4th round picks to begin with. aka Geathers and Willis. (but we'll see about Willis as he develops)

And the lack of a pass rusher and reliable 2nd WR option has been a deficiency with the roster since both Robert Mathis and Reggie Wayne became ineffective, or IOW, about the past 5 or 6 seasons spanning two different GMs.

While the comments and threads appear to be an overreaction to the Raiders loss, the embedded points within them have some validity.

Hooker has the ability to shut down a good part of the field. And when that happens, it becomes a lot easier to defend the rest of the field. You seem to have the impression that he just sits back waiting for a Hail Mary or something, and that's all he's good for.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

We'll be 2-3 going into the bye week with games against:

Texans

Broncos

@Steelers

Dolphins 

Jags

4 of 5 at home.  I think we will be 5-5 after that.  Still in the playoff hunt.   I think we will be starting Brissett the rest of the games unless we are mathematically eliminated.  That may not be till week 17 the way the AFC is shaping up.  

Brissett has been better than I thought he would be.   I hope Reich opens things up a bit.  

I think we may be in a tough few years.   Brissett may be fine with a solid team around him.  We may draft a QB which is long odds whether he pans out or not.  

We just need to take care of the home games and come out at 6-4 after all those home games. Get the defense back on track after the bye. Having sheard and Leonard back should make a big difference in this defense. I think we can beat the Steelers. Rudolph’s passing numbers were inflated this week because most of them were to running backs. We can go 3-1 the second quarter if the defense gets it together. We need to go 3-1 the last three quarters of the season to get to get to ten wins. Hopefully we can do that. Division games are going to be huge.

Brissett is going to be the starter no matter if we are eliminated or not.

19 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We just need to take care of the home games and come out at 6-4 after all those home games. Get the defense back on track after the bye. Having sheard and Leonard back should make a big difference in this defense. I think we can beat the Steelers. Rudolph’s passing numbers were inflated this week because most of them were to running backs. We can go 3-1 the second quarter if the defense gets it together. We need to go 3-1 the last three quarters of the season to get to get to ten wins. Hopefully we can do that. Division games are going to be huge.

Brissett is going to be the starter no matter if we are eliminated or not.

I think the Texans, Jags and Steelers games are possible loses.   We may come out of this run at 3-7 or 4-6.  

39 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

Hooker has the ability to shut down a good part of the field. And when that happens, it becomes a lot easier to defend the rest of the field. You seem to have the impression that he just sits back waiting for a Hail Mary or something, and that's all he's good for.

But that hasn't been the case in the games we've had against good QBs.  They still complete plenty of passes to all sides of the field except the deep back half, for which NFL offenses are not relying upon as much anyway. 

You can't single out one position to talk about like its the only important position on a team.

Investing capital in one position keeps a team from investing capital in another.  Which is my point about why we have dropped passes on offense and no pass rush on defense going on 5 seasons and two different GMs.

9 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think the Texans, Jags and Steelers games are possible loses.   We may come out of this run at 3-7 or 4-6.  

You need to be a little more optimistic lol. The defense will get better and the offense with TY is pretty good. We will hopefully get Malik back after the Texan game. I think DF can come back around game ten.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

But that hasn't been the case in the games we've had against good QBs.  They still complete plenty of passes to all sides of the field except the deep back half, for which NFL offenses are not relying upon as much anyway. 

You can't single out one position to talk about like its the only important position on a team.

Investing capital in one position keeps a team from investing capital in another.  Which is my point about why we have dropped passes on offense and no pass rush on defense going on 5 seasons and two different GMs.

To be fair  teams with good offenses usually aren’t shut down often. This is a scoring league. The rams just gave up 54 points. Not many teams with good QB are getting shut down. We do have to tighten things up a lot though.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

To be fair  teams with good offenses usually aren’t shut down often. This is a scoring league. The rams just gave up 54 points. Not many teams with good QB are getting shut down. We do have to tighten things up a lot though.

I understand.  You can't have studs everywhere.  You have to pick the positions where you need studs and fill in the rest.  

In the past few years, offenses have moved away from the deep drop back and deep pass to more shorter and quicker routes, in part to get the ball out of the QBs hands.  This puts more emphasis on defensive positions like SS and LBs as well as 3 techs to counter the moves of the offenses exploiting the middle and using RBs and TEs as receivers.  And its tough for us to have that kind of offense if the receivers either don't get open or drop the passes when they do.

The Rams obviously had a bad day, even with Aaron Donald on the field (hmmm, do they miss Suh?)  Personally, I never understood the Rams' success and feel like they were/are living on borrowed time anyway.